NBA x NIKE Redesign Project (MIAMI HEAT CITY EDITION added 1/2)

iamdaviinci

I love the previous designs. The checkered striping in the Pacers jersey was an awesome touch. I like the idea of adding gold to Boston's set, but I think you can keep the collar/armhole piping in the same way Duke did with the new Nike template. I love the love the logo being worked into the side panel of Portland's jersey, but the font on the wordmark clashes with the sleek, modern look. With all that criticism being said, these are all fantastic concepts.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2017 at 6:58 PM, upperV03 said:

Hmm, I'm not sure about the Blazers. As a Blazers fan, I can definitely appreciate the way you reinterpreted their look, but I think you may have implemented too many different elements. I'm actually not completely opposed to the diagonal wordmark, but I'm not a huge fan of the font or the split coloring. I think if you keep the diagonal wordmark, those would be things to address. Other than that I'm not really sure about the pinwheel striping either, and I'd suggest something more along the lines of their current ripcity alts, or possibly even their uniforms from the '70's. If you went with something like the latter, I think vertical text would be a better option. I look forward to seeing what others have to say, as well as any updates you're able to come up with. 

Awesome input -- I really appreciate the amount of detail, and certainly agree with the fact that there are perhaps too many elements incorporated. Between the diagonal wordmark, sash in the text, and side panels, I'll probably retain one or two at the most, while simplifying things a bit. The vertical text from the '70s was originally the inspiration that led to the diagonal wordmark, so I might experiment with that and see what happens. I will definitely be posting an update!

On 4/28/2017 at 11:55 PM, Shadojoker said:

I actually LOVE Portland road uniform that you but the Blazers home is "meh" (too much red and simplistic)

Agreed re: too much red on the home. At the very least, is change the color balance of that uniform to be more black-dominant. Other elements will likely change as well, though. 

On 4/29/2017 at 11:35 AM, sayahh said:

I agree. Start with the font. The number's font, also.

The font will definitely be my starting point -- between this forum and a few uniform-enthusiast friends, that's been the overwhelming criticism.

On 4/29/2017 at 11:39 AM, sayahh said:

Boston away looks fine, but there's something, je ne sais quoi, off about the home jersey, and it's not the gold trim. Hawks gradient jersey looks dope :)

Thanks! I'm not sure what it is about the Boston home jersey, but I agree. I'm definitely going to change the 'BOSTON' wordmark to 'CELTICS,' but I think the shade of green is also throwing me off....it's the same exact color code as the away jersey, but with the colors around it I almost think it looks too lime-ish. I don't know.  

On 4/29/2017 at 5:21 PM, San Diego said:

Love the Pacers

I appreciare it! I'll be adding a home and perhaps and alternate uniform for them as well. 

On 4/29/2017 at 5:36 PM, Kaz said:

I really like what you did for the side treatment for the Blazers, but the font doesn't work there.  The overly bubbly and bold font clashes hard with the sleek and minimalist jersey, and in addition I could see legibility being an issue especially because of its diagonal placement.

Thanks a lot for the input! The font will for sure be changed, and the orientation may be as well. Out of all the design elements, I think the side striping is the most likely one to see its way onto the updated version, so I'm glad you like that part!

7 hours ago, Chundrew said:

I love the previous designs. The checkered striping in the Pacers jersey was an awesome touch. I like the idea of adding gold to Boston's set, but I think you can keep the collar/armhole piping in the same way Duke did with the new Nike template. I love the love the logo being worked into the side panel of Portland's jersey, but the font on the wordmark clashes with the sleek, modern look. With all that criticism being said, these are all fantastic concepts.

Thanks for the kind words! The more I look at these concepts and some of the real versions of Nike's newer designs a la Duke, the more I see the need to incorporate piping along the neck and armholes. I'll have to spend some more time working with the template to make that possible, but if/when that happens it'll add another dimension to the potential of each design.

I'm away from my computer for the next few days, but I'll hopefully have updates to post relatively soon. Until then, any and all additional comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated -- thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found some time to work on something new -- I fully intend to update Portland's home and away designs with the leakage of their new branding, but their mention of innovation with the alternate uniforms got me thinking and this is the result...

Portland Trail Blazers Alternate Uniform

u7UBnVU.jpg

I know the old 'rip city' font would probably be preferred by some, and I know that replacing the 'RIP CITY' script entirely would probably be preferred by most, but I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

5 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Finally found some time to work on something new -- I fully intend to update Portland's home and away designs with the leakage of their new branding, but their mention of innovation with the alternate uniforms got me thinking and this is the result...

Portland Trail Blazers Alternate Uniform

u7UBnVU.jpg

I know the old 'rip city' font would probably be preferred by some, and I know that replacing the 'RIP CITY' script entirely would probably be preferred by most, but I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

I'm sure the hipsters in the city would wear this jersey ironically everywhere they went...not sure about actual fans, though...or players.

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

Looks fun!  I just hope they don't wear kilts or something...

Ha! For clarification's sake, these jerseys are based off the memorial patch the Blazers wore in honor of the plaid suit-wearing Dr. Jack Ramsay, their late coach who led them to the 1977 NBA Championship....not just something to appease the Portland hipsters. 

IMG_4287.JPG

I've been very invested in the Celtics/Wizards series since it started, and every time I watch the Wizards play I'm reminded of how much I dislike their branding. I see a major disconnect between their team name - the Wizards - and the way they execute the corresponding identity with a red, white, and blue color palette, imagery of the Washington Monument, stars & stripes alternates, and basically anything and everything that does not at all pertain to wizardry. I have no problem with teams in the nation's capital embracing the aforementioned items, but to me it would make more sense to do so with a name that is commensurate to the elements comprising your brand.

That being said, wizardry is a difficult concept to create visuals for, especially considering how much of it overlaps with the imagery of the Orlando Magic. Also, more importantly, Washington's NBA team used to be called the Bullets -- which is a much more exciting and unique name regardless of how incredibly unlikely it is that they'll ever return to it.

So, this concept involves a few things: 1) embracing the team's nickname with associated imagery; 2) invoking color palettes from multiple eras without the red, white, and blue motif; and 3) retaining a couple strong elements of their current uniforms. 

With the switch to the Washington Bullets, we have bullet imagery appearing in the wordmark. This is conducive to accent color from two previous color palettes, as the late '90s Wizards utilized bronze while the mid-2000s Wizards utilized gold. Black appeared in both of those color palettes, and makes a reappearance here, albeit solely as a peripheral color -- too much of it in wordmarks, numerals, etc. feels dated, so it stays out of the way in the side panels. The Wizards' current script is very clean, but with enough quirks to maintain intrigue, so it has been retained and modified to fit the Bullets nickname. Also, the bold dark blue from their navy alternates is a sharper color than their medium blue from late '90s and mid-2000s, so it has been re-purposed as well.

Washington Bullets Away Uniforms

LGxG7a9.jpg

Thanks for looking!

2 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I've been very invested in the Celtics/Wizards series since it started, and every time I watch the Wizards play I'm reminded of how much I dislike their branding. I see a major disconnect between their team name - the Wizards - and the way they execute the corresponding identity with a red, white, and blue color palette, imagery of the Washington Monument, stars & stripes alternates, and basically anything and everything that does not at all pertain to wizardry. I have no problem with teams in the nation's capital embracing the aforementioned items, but to me it would make more sense to do so with a name that is commensurate to the elements comprising your brand.

That being said, wizardry is a difficult concept to create visuals for, especially considering how much of it overlaps with the imagery of the Orlando Magic. Also, more importantly, Washington's NBA team used to be called the Bullets -- which is a much more exciting and unique name regardless of how incredibly unlikely it is that they'll ever return to it.

So, this concept involves a few things: 1) embracing the team's nickname with associated imagery; 2) invoking color palettes from multiple eras without the red, white, and blue motif; and 3) retaining a couple strong elements of their current uniforms. 

With the switch to the Washington Bullets, we have bullet imagery appearing in the wordmark. This is conducive to accent color from two previous color palettes, as the late '90s Wizards utilized bronze while the mid-2000s Wizards utilized gold. Black appeared in both of those color palettes, and makes a reappearance here, albeit solely as a peripheral color -- too much of it in wordmarks, numerals, etc. feels dated, so it stays out of the way in the side panels. The Wizards' current script is very clean, but with enough quirks to maintain intrigue, so it has been retained and modified to fit the Bullets nickname. Also, the bold dark blue from their navy alternates is a sharper color than their medium blue from late '90s and mid-2000s, so it has been re-purposed as well.

Washington Bullets Away Uniforms

LGxG7a9.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I like it, but seem a bit plain. Nothing wrong with plain, though.

I have a handful of updates to share....nothing too crazy, just finalizing a couple sets and doing some re-tooling.

The lighting effects were altering the Celtics' green a little more than I liked, so both their home and away jerseys have been color-corrected. Also, the home jersey has been corrected to include the 'CELTICS' wordmark.

Boston Celtics Home Uniforms

cMxyoPZ.jpg

Boston Celtics Away Uniforms

rvmOstI.jpg

The Pacers had some minor issues with the stitching that I found a very janky, yet somehow effective method for fixing. They have also received a yellow alternate.

Indiana Pacers Home Uniforms

fDFStBP.jpg

Indiana Pacers Away Uniforms

AWF9TWL.jpg

Indiana Pacers Alternate Uniforms

LTM2ly5.jpg

Finally, I started re-tooling the Blazers' jerseys to incorporate their new branding. The biggest issues voiced about the first version of these were the font and the sash within it -- I much prefer the switch to their new font in this version, but I'm unwilling to abandon the sash. They wil also receive an updated version of their home jersey and perhaps their alternate jersey as well.

Portland Trail Blazers Away Uniforms

FrPfxQD.jpg

Thanks for looking!

20 hours ago, sayahh said:

Not fond of the Pacers font but everything else you fixed, and that includes your Celtics concepts:)

Thanks! I agree with you re: the Pacers' font the more I look at it -- I don't mind the 'INDIANA' script quite as much, but I think I hate the 'PACERS' script. I'm pretty sure it's a version of the artist formerly known as the San Diego Chargers' font that I modified....I'll definitely look into adjusting it, and if you have or anyone else has ideas or suggestions I'm all ears!

I've finished updating Portland's set. The home jerseys received the same update as the previously-posted away jerseys in terms of the font change, with the only difference being that black, that bottom color in the sash, becomes the dominant color outlining the wordmark. The away jerseys posted yesterday have remained unchanged, and the alternate jerseys now have the original 'rip city' font instead of the new team font.

Portland Trail Blazers Home Uniforms

3lSrhxc.jpg

Portland Trail Blazers Away Uniforms

FrPfxQD.jpg

Portland Trail Blazers Alternate Uniforms

t7fON6d.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Your Blazers set is much improved with the addition of their new font, which I'm starting to like more and more as I see it in different applications. I'm still not completely sold on the sash in the letters, but it's definitely a creative interpretation of their diagonal jersey striping, and I applaud you for being willing to try something different. And although I'm not sure about the alternate as an on-court thing, I could definitely see it being a popular fashion jersey around these parts. The update with the actual "Rip City" wordmark on the chest is also a definite upgrade from the first version you posted. Keep up the good work!

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Your Blazers set is much improved with the addition of their new font, which I'm starting to like more and more as I see it in different applications. I'm still not completely sold on the sash in the letters, but it's definitely a creative interpretation of their diagonal jersey striping, and I applaud you for being willing to try something different. And although I'm not sure about the alternate as an on-court thing, I could definitely see it being a popular fashion jersey around these parts. The update with the actual "Rip City" wordmark on the chest is also a definite upgrade from the first version you posted. Keep up the good work!

I completely agree with pretty much everything you mentioned -- warming up to their new font, skepticism re: the sash, and appropriateness of the 'rip city' wordmark. I definitely couldn't see those alternates ever ending up on-court, but your assessment as a fashion jersey is spot-on. Thanks!

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

kind of loving the plaid TB jersey. all the designs are solid but i think you should chsnge your background on the template to something just a bit lighter. the black jerseys really get hard to see

Thanks a lot! I appreciate you pointing out the issue with the template -- I've been working on a new one for the presentation of final versions, but that issue never crossed my mind. I'll definitely try to find a way to address that.

One more concept I have been working on...

I think the Spurs' color palette is one of the sharpest in the League despite its simplicity, but their current uniforms feel somewhat dated and cluttered -- specifically the collar and armhole trim as well as the wordmark and numeral font and style.

While I much prefer them to have rounded collars as opposed to the v-neck ones, I think the lack of defined contrast in their striping pattern unnecessarily muddles those areas regardless....white, black, and silver loses some of its crispness in such a small space. Although I have not included collar and armhole trim on any of my concepts thus far, I am adamantly against it for a team like the Spurs for that reason (whereas I could take it or leave it for a team like the Celtics and would very much prefer it for a team like the Bulls). This creates a cleaner look.

The rounded font for their wordmark and numerals feels very late '90s/early 2000s and just looks generic. On top of that, the extra white outline on the home jerseys and the extra black outline on the away jerseys once again muddles things a bit. As a result, the font has been replaced by one with more of a western flair, the unnecessary outlines have been removed, and to help fit the 'SAN ANTONIO' script on the away jersey incorporate an element from the George Gervin-era uniforms the wordmarks are arched, and rather heavily at that.

San Antonio Spurs Home Uniforms

ISRC1Xz.jpg

San Antonio Spurs Away Uniforms

HpoCmUf.jpg

Thanks for looking!

On 5/14/2017 at 7:22 AM, Hoopladawg87 said:

One more concept I have been working on...

I think the Spurs' color palette is one of the sharpest in the League despite its simplicity, but their current uniforms feel somewhat dated and cluttered -- specifically the collar and armhole trim as well as the wordmark and numeral font and style.

While I much prefer them to have rounded collars as opposed to the v-neck ones, I think the lack of defined contrast in their striping pattern unnecessarily muddles those areas regardless....white, black, and silver loses some of its crispness in such a small space. Although I have not included collar and armhole trim on any of my concepts thus far, I am adamantly against it for a team like the Spurs for that reason (whereas I could take it or leave it for a team like the Celtics and would very much prefer it for a team like the Bulls). This creates a cleaner look.

The rounded font for their wordmark and numerals feels very late '90s/early 2000s and just looks generic. On top of that, the extra white outline on the home jerseys and the extra black outline on the away jerseys once again muddles things a bit. As a result, the font has been replaced by one with more of a western flair, the unnecessary outlines have been removed, and to help fit the 'SAN ANTONIO' script on the away jersey incorporate an element from the George Gervin-era uniforms the wordmarks are arched, and rather heavily at that.

ISRC1Xz.jpg

HpoCmUf.jpg

Thanks for looking!

What I love about this unis is the old school feel with a touch modern day unis. Nothing is bad but I guess the true colors of Spurs (Gray) is not being highlighted here. And can you also do some alternates (gray unis) 

20 hours ago, Miguel23 said:

What I love about this unis is the old school feel with a touch modern day unis. Nothing is bad but I guess the true colors of Spurs (Gray) is not being highlighted here. And can you also do some alternates (gray unis) 

I appreciate the input! Both the side panels and the stroke around the wordmarks and numerals were supposed to be silver, but based on the comments I did not do a good job with the coloring. I have changed that in the version below -- please let me know your thoughts on whether or not this is a step in the right direction in terms of making the silver more visible.

As for the alternates, I am not sure whether I will include the silver....I really want to find a way to incorporate the fiesta color palette, but I have seen and created some very questionable concepts using those colors, so we will see. If that does not happen, silver would be the logical alternative.

19 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

Love the Spurs..i would suggest a silver outline on the wordmark and numbers..just my opinion tho. 

Thanks for the kind words! As noted in the response above, I tried - albeit unsuccessfully - to include said silver outline. A color corrected version is below, so hopefully this version adequately addresses that issue!

cQ0YXAM.jpg

Mw2Ugrz.jpg

Archived