Sign in to follow this  
keithisgood

Redesigning Cleveland Baseball (Uni Concepts 5/22)

keithisgood    58

Here's my (second) attempt to give Cleveland Baseball a better primary. In the past the team has worn a Reds-style wishbone C, an angluar "Caveman" C, A serifed Block C and Wahoo:

Cleveland Indians (1958 - 1961)Cleveland Indians (1973 - 1977)

Cleveland Indians (1978 - 1985)Cleveland Indians (1986 - 2002)

My goal was to incorporate the team's visual history into a single mark which would nod to the team's past and push it into the future. The idea is that it could work if the team chooses to stay with "Indians" or go with something else in the future. Thoughts?

ClevelandBetterC.png

Zeus89725    952

I like it. It doesn't fit with the "LEVELAND BASEBALL," though. It should either only be on the uniforms, or match the rest of the wordmark.

keithisgood    58

You're right the typeface is bupkiss. Maybe something based on Cleveland's "Caveman" set of the 70's.

Still playing with this, sketching ideas for a shoulder patch/crest:

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

Zeus89725    952
1 hour ago, keithisgood said:

IMG_1442.JPG

Just an idea - the outline could take on the shape of Ohio, roughly.

keithisgood    58
5 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Just an idea - the outline could take on the shape of Ohio, roughly.

It's supposed to be Ohio (roughly).   I'll have to work a bit more on that. Also tried my hand at a matching typeface.

IMG_1444.JPG

panthers_2012    475
2 hours ago, keithisgood said:

You're right the typeface is bupkiss. Maybe something based on Cleveland's "Caveman" set of the 70's.

Still playing with this, sketching ideas for a shoulder patch/crest:

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

Uhhh... Ohio is backwards, just pointing it out. 

hockey week    920

Definitely getting there, especially with your all-custom wordmark, and I genuinely like the Ohio thing. Idk about forcing the baseball in there, though. It makes it look like Cleveland is located there. 

Idk if this is acceptable or not anymore, there are a lot of issues with imagery now, but I think the negative space inside that C is dying to be an arrowhead. Perhaps if its subtle enough, it'll work. I'm not sure if that's a good idea these days or not.

keithisgood    58

Yeah I'm not 100% on how the arrowhead is viewed. and with the Ohio crest, I'm thinking maybe the Ohio Flag would fit better in that northwest corner. Hope to get it all vectorized soon.

ahowe6464    227

Wordmark looks incredible. Good stuff so far

Russian5    0

Love the "C"!!  Think maybe it'll look cool too Without the lower "tooth" on upper portion that is leftover from the 70s C.  Leaving just "upper tooth"???  

I don't know if you are wanting to rid the Indian part or not, but if not, turning upper tooth into an "arrow head looking point" would be worth a quick draft???

keithisgood    58
3 hours ago, Russian5 said:

Love the "C"!!  Think maybe it'll look cool too Without the lower "tooth" on upper portion that is leftover from the 70s C.  Leaving just "upper tooth"???  

I don't know if you are wanting to rid the Indian part or not, but if not, turning upper tooth into an "arrow head looking point" would be worth a quick draft???

I'd put in a lower serif (tooth) to keep with the Block C, but drawing it without that lower serif, you might be right.

Either way, last two sketches before I fire up the computer.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

KittSmith_95    628

These rough sketches look amazing, but I'm not sold on the I in the Indians wordmark. It looks like a weirdly shaped G at a certain angle, and it doesn't fit the rest of the wordmark. 

keithisgood    58
1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

These rough sketches look amazing, but I'm not sold on the I in the Indians wordmark. It looks like a weirdly shaped G at a certain angle, and it doesn't fit the rest of the wordmark. 

Yes, I see that now. The cursive connectors (whatever they're called) aren't quite right either. I'll probably just digitize everything and see if I can fix it there.

panthers_2012    475

Looks okay but i would get rid of the flag in the state design. The C is enough. The current one looks cluttered. I'm not sold on the word mark, but I might change my mind. 

bucknut42    103

I think you have a pretty solid start here. One thing you could change, the I in the Indians wordmark look like a j. Their old logo kinda did too, so I can understand that a little bit. 

PackMan    78

Am I the only one who noticed how the C looks like a Chief Wahoo silhouette?

keithisgood    58
42 minutes ago, PackMan said:

Am I the only one who noticed how the C looks like a Chief Wahoo silhouette?

Im glad you noticed, I tried to make them similar without being too obvious.