Redesigning Cleveland Baseball (Uni Concepts 5/22)

keithisgood

Here's my (second) attempt to give Cleveland Baseball a better primary. In the past the team has worn a Reds-style wishbone C, an angluar "Caveman" C, A serifed Block C and Wahoo:

Cleveland Indians (1958 - 1961)Cleveland Indians (1973 - 1977)

Cleveland Indians (1978 - 1985)Cleveland Indians (1986 - 2002)

My goal was to incorporate the team's visual history into a single mark which would nod to the team's past and push it into the future. The idea is that it could work if the team chooses to stay with "Indians" or go with something else in the future. Thoughts?

ClevelandBetterC.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, keithisgood said:

You're right the typeface is bupkiss. Maybe something based on Cleveland's "Caveman" set of the 70's.

Still playing with this, sketching ideas for a shoulder patch/crest:

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

Uhhh... Ohio is backwards, just pointing it out. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Definitely getting there, especially with your all-custom wordmark, and I genuinely like the Ohio thing. Idk about forcing the baseball in there, though. It makes it look like Cleveland is located there. 

Idk if this is acceptable or not anymore, there are a lot of issues with imagery now, but I think the negative space inside that C is dying to be an arrowhead. Perhaps if its subtle enough, it'll work. I'm not sure if that's a good idea these days or not.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Love the "C"!!  Think maybe it'll look cool too Without the lower "tooth" on upper portion that is leftover from the 70s C.  Leaving just "upper tooth"???  

I don't know if you are wanting to rid the Indian part or not, but if not, turning upper tooth into an "arrow head looking point" would be worth a quick draft???

3 hours ago, Russian5 said:

Love the "C"!!  Think maybe it'll look cool too Without the lower "tooth" on upper portion that is leftover from the 70s C.  Leaving just "upper tooth"???  

I don't know if you are wanting to rid the Indian part or not, but if not, turning upper tooth into an "arrow head looking point" would be worth a quick draft???

I'd put in a lower serif (tooth) to keep with the Block C, but drawing it without that lower serif, you might be right.

Either way, last two sketches before I fire up the computer.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

These rough sketches look amazing, but I'm not sold on the I in the Indians wordmark. It looks like a weirdly shaped G at a certain angle, and it doesn't fit the rest of the wordmark. 

Yes, I see that now. The cursive connectors (whatever they're called) aren't quite right either. I'll probably just digitize everything and see if I can fix it there.

Archived