NIKE x NBA

STL_ArchMadness

So I haven't posted on here in a while but got bored and decided to play around with some NBA concepts. Have 15 done so far so I'm going to progressively post those while working to finish off the league. No real structure here, some home uniforms, some away, even some alternates, just whatever I think looks good. As always C&C are welcomed greatly, please let me know what you think! 

First up, one of my simpler designs with the 76ers! Tried to go for a very classic looking jersey, while emphasizing the great red white and blue color scheme present. 

5906857b5f148_76ers1.thumb.png.3273ee0a8f3c1e2fdef0bea925807106.png

Next up is the Warriors. Didn't change too much of the jersey base, just adding smaller improvements that I thought looked sharp. Also scrapped the pants and went with a more "warrior" looking design. 

5906861e831f8_warriors2.thumb.png.4ec04faaa561d4b4c3a0c9ba4ccf0e6b.png

And to round out my first set, is the Nets! Once again going for a very classic look on the jersey, with a very simple design on the pants. 

nets.thumb.png.1d1aa70562c0011f26b7d449832b3507.png

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

76ers - Don't think I've ever seen that part of the logo used as a wordmark on a jersey, but love the idea! Only suggestion I have would be to nix the side stripes on the shorts in favor of the same pattern horizontally across the waistband and bottoms of the legs -- then maybe add a logo (the Ben Franklin alternate?). 

Warriors - Great work! I've been working on a similar concept myself -- as much as I love their current bridge graphic on the front, their copperplate font is terrible and the We Believe-era one is much better. I tried the spears in a previous concept, but I'm a big fan of the addition of feathers to tie in the theme. The only thing I'd change about this uniform would be the font -- the edges feel weird to begin with and it clashes with the wordmark. 

Nets - Beautiful script, and I love the inclusion of the bet pattern along the side panel. The outer stripes could be a little thinner, and the back of the shorts is missing one. Also, the font doesn't quite work here, I don't think -- but it actually may be ideal for the Warriors concept. 

Awesome work! Can't wait to see your other concepts when you post them!

Unorthodox!  I think it's great that you are experimenting with using wordmarks from logos and they are truly unique and a different take on uniforms.  It's a bit too much for me, though, but I can't understand art so I'm not the best judge of these concepts.  I mean there are a lot of people who loved the rocket from the Rockets 1994 rebrand as well as the teal Pistons era but I didn't personally like them. However, if used sparingly by the team as an alternate I'd be all for it.  It's way better than some of the stuff the teams actually wear, IMO.

The numbers font on the Warriors jersey isn't bad but it feels like someone at Nike worked too hard to come up with a font unique for them, e.g., Tampa Bay Buccaneers' font comes to mind.  Even though I like the jersey, the numbers font on the Nets' jersey is too "newspaper-y" for me.  The 76ers shorts are perfect, though.  Kudos!

Love the Sixers. I agree with Hoopladawg87 that the shorts could be changed a bit. Look like Gonzaga's from this season. Try thinner stripes maybe. Other than that it's awesome. 

That warriors concept is amazing. Only nitpick is the number font. A slight adjustment to that would perfect it. 

I like the idea for the nets. The overall design isn't bad. But it's just feels like there is too much going on. Especially on the shorts. If you can make the stripes thinner or if not pick either the ball logo or stripes. I'm going to be watching this thread very closely. Nice job. 

Ok so I decided I am going to post a few more sets of concepts, and probably update them all at the end of the series so I can get a better feel of the entire league's look and aesthetic as a whole. 

So for now, my 4th team is the Knicks! With an old-school vibe, contrasted with vibrant, striking colors, I love this look for the big Apple. 

590a7dcbc7632_knicks4.thumb.png.122553abcce2273501499666c6d1876a.png

Next up, we have the Bucks! I tried to incorporate the classic many shades of green, as well as the hints of blue in the uniform combining them with the updated logo and wordmarks. 

bucks.thumb.png.7b29d151fb6283bbd678fc0f04c32f64.png

And to round out this last set of concepts, here are the Pelicans! I hate how boring New Orleans current set is and my main goal here was to make their uniforms as exciting as the city itself.

pelicans.thumb.png.0aacaaf43e9c6e134cafdc1ee57bf36a.png

Knicks - This is PERFECT. I was realizing earlier today how bland the Knicks' identity is currently, and this is the perfect makeover -- retaining classic elements, free of clutter, with modern color. The 'KNICKS' script from their old logo makes a surprisingly good wordmark for a jersey, and the return of the 'NY' logo is long overdue. Outstanding work. 

Bucks - From the diagonal alternate logo wordmark to the green gradient side panels to the blue underlines, this is another absolutely terrific concept. The 'M' works very well on the shorts, and I love how the name on the back of the jersey gets the blue underline treatment as well -- I miss when names on the backs of jerseys were interesting. My only suggestions would be to switch the number font to the one they currently use so it matches the wordmark, and to switch out the gradient collar for a solid one that matches the armholes. Other than that, I'm a huge fan of these. 

Pelicans - I don't think I like these a whole lot personally, but objectively they look very good. Like you mentioned, the Pelicans might have the least exciting uniforms in the League relative to the city in which they play, and that's a shame considering how awesome New Orleans is. The colors really pop, the font is ideal, and the fleur de lis is essential; the split-color navy bottom feels unnecessary, and the simplified wing graphics bordering the number can go either way. These are certainly still good as-is, but could be improved with a few adjustments. 

Another exciting and very well-done round of work -- it's clear you take your time with it and I really admire the originality of your ideas. Can't wait for round 3!

15 hours ago, STL_ArchMadness said:

Ok so I decided I am going to post a few more sets of concepts, and probably update them all at the end of the series so I can get a better feel of the entire league's look and aesthetic as a whole. 

So for now, my 4th team is the Knicks! With an old-school vibe, contrasted with vibrant, striking colors, I love this look for the big Apple. 

590a7dcbc7632_knicks4.thumb.png.122553abcce2273501499666c6d1876a.png

YES!! You really hit it out of the park with this one! One of the best concepts I've seen on these boards ever!

I guess I'll have to be the one to rain on the parade, but that Knicks concept is not very good, IMO. The Knicks' color scheme without any white is hard on the eyes on a computer screen, and (as demonstrated on Christmas a few years ago) it's even worse on the court:

cUqOwxS.jpg

I'm also not a fan of the wordmark you used. It just looks awkward on the front of a jersey and pushes the front number too far down.

With that said, I do think you're on to something with your Bucks concept. I'd dump the drop shadows and go with a more traditional layout on the front of the jersey, though.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I guess I'll have to be the one to rain on the parade, but that Knicks concept is not very good, IMO. The Knicks' color scheme without any white is hard on the eyes on a computer screen, and (as demonstrated on Christmas a few years ago) it's even worse on the court:

cUqOwxS.jpg

I'm also not a fan of the wordmark you used. It just looks awkward on the front of a jersey and pushes the front number too far down.

Maybe they'll have to move it up or make it smaller for shorter players.

The orange in your pic is way too bright.  Maybe the darker orange in his concept would be easier to look at for you.  Having the blue trim and wordmark might help.  The only thing I'm not 100% on board is the NOB being below the number, but that's been done before so I'm not necessarily against it.

Creativity is through the roof here, which is refreshing. I'm fond of all of these except the Warriors and Pelicans. Contrasting of two concepts in GSW it feels like, while the Pelicans feels a bit bland. 

That Knicks uniform is perfect. 

These, like some others have said already, are off the wall but still phenomenal. The Bucks set is my favorite, although the gradient is a little bit trippy. The one grip I have about the Bucks though is that on the NOB, the blue undershadow would get lost or would be muddled. Minor nitpick, great work. 

spacer.png

I'm really glad to hear all of the comments on my last 3 sets, both good and bad! Got 3 more for you guys today!

First up is the Miami Heat! I've always disliked the Heat's uniforms because of the predominance of black in them. Black is a great color when used right, but for a Miami based team revolving around fire, I personally went with a much more colorful option here.

heat.thumb.png.a027674293d2f39a95ccd2afb482f6ce.png

Up next, is the Timberwolves! Throwing it back to their original color scheme with the use of their current wordmark I tried to make a mix of both eras.

590e266f03532_twolves5.thumb.png.fde4938c1ada9ec10fbcec95288d4cec.png

And lastly, the Rockets! I love the Rockets old color scheme here as well, and tried to mix that with a more modern design. As well as going back to having an actual rocket on the jerseys somewhere like the good ole days.  

rockets.thumb.png.e1b2fda104a9230b52c2d127c6b73c48.png

Miami's got an orange Irish rainbow thing going, but I feel like it is missing a bit of white.

I like your take on Houston but would like to see the uniform worn to see how the rockets on the shorts work with the stripe on the jersey.

I love that bucks jersey but is it just me or does the blue underline on the back make it look like you spelled the name and number wrong 

IMG_8660.PNG

IMG_8661.JPG

Also also I love that Pelicans jersey would buy in a heartbeat

Excellent!

Archived