8BW14's MLB Redesign: Portland Athletics and Seattle Mariners

8BW14

I like your ideas for the Rockies. The purple/green combo is inspired, and your logos are effective. I like the road pinstripes too, as it's a modern-ish look that the Rockies could really own.

However, I've got a few complaints. The font is way too close to the Pirates and (more importantly, as a divisional rival) the Giants' font. A different font would be preferable. I'd also recommend dropping the sock stripes (pinstripes and sock stripes generally don't mix), lightening the purple, and adding an accent color besides white, like light purple or silver. You're off to a good start, and I look forward to seeing what else you'll do here. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like your ideas for the Rockies. The purple/green combo is inspired, and your logos are effective. I like the road pinstripes too, as it's a modern-ish look that the Rockies could really own.

However, I've got a few complaints. The font is way too close to the Pirates and (more importantly, as a divisional rival) the Giants' font. A different font would be preferable. I'd also recommend dropping the sock stripes (pinstripes and sock stripes generally don't mix), lightening the purple, and adding an accent color besides white, like light purple or silver. You're off to a good start, and I look forward to seeing what else you'll do here. 

I have thought about adding a third color like silver, but where would you put it? I don't really see a place on the uniforms or logos for a third accent color. 

I see see your point about the font being similar to the Giants and Pirates. I had thought about that and decide the font was different enough. I think you're right though, even though we know it's different, even if it looks kind of similar, casual fans who don't focus on things like that would just think they are the same. A new font might be a good idea. 

Thanks for for your thoughts and I'll try to get the Rockies updated as soon as I can.

Today I have the fourth team from the NL West, the San Francisco Giants. Throughout their history, the Giants have had a consistently good look, for the most part.

I simplified the Giants' look, from the logo to the uniforms by dropping the superfluous gold accents and drop shadow that frankly can't even be seen unless you are inches from the uniform. I kept the cream home uniform because it plays so well off of the black and orange and only adds to the classic look of the uniforms. I fixed the road striping/piping, making it match the home uniform again and brought back the matching San Francisco wordmark on the gray jersey. The alt is black on black, some thing the Giants have done before and something I think works really well for them. The BP jersey is a simple orange SF monogram jersey and matching orange cap.

IMG_0774.PNG.01e5e2573ddcfffbaf6ee27e0cded46f.PNG

IMG_0775.PNG.5b5ec10366b2d4a9aa20781d89ab1d65.PNG

Once again, thanks for taking a look and I appreciate any and all feedback/C&C.

2 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I have thought about adding a third color like silver, but where would you put it? I don't really see a place on the uniforms or logos for a third accent color. 

I would place it in between the purple and green, should you choose to add it. The purple and green look better when there's a color separating them (be it white, silver, or another accent).

I like what you've done with the Giants! I'm normally against the return of the outline-only uniforms, but I think you've pulled them off pretty well. The return of the pre-2012 road uniform is a fantastic choice, as is the implementation of the "SF" logo on the orange uniform. I'm glad I've found somebody else who likes the block road script and dislikes the gold drop shadow. I'd recommend that you promote the Golden Gate Bridge logo to primary status, as it's far more visually interesting than the "script in front of a ball." 

As for my complaints, I'd drop the orange cap. The Giants really should be a black-first team, and the orange cap is a bit too much orange for my liking. Either limit it to an orange bill, or resurrect the outline-only cap logo for the black alt. I'd also reinstate sock stripes, as I've always felt that they completed the retro aesthetic of the uniforms. I would go with the three orange stripes or an all-orange Northwestern stripe. Other than that, nice work!

Thanks for the comments guys and the complaints/suggestions are dually noted. Hopefully I can get them up soon. 

I finally have the gotten some time to post the Dodgers this weekend and I have to say I didn't actually change much. The home uniform remains essentially unchanged. I thought long and hard about ditching the red front numbers because I really just don't like them very much but they have become so entrenched in Dodgers history that I think the have to stay. The road uniform has the Dodgers script because I think it just looks better than the Los Angeles script. There is a blue alt with the Los Angeles script and a blue bp jersey with an D cap matching the Dodgers script also. So, there weren't many changes because, frankly, there's not much to improve upon.

IMG_0772.PNG.9432c3ed25b1207e6833c23298d6ecd6.PNGIMG_0773.PNG.f1e19709103bf41efd03cf0a585e04ec.PNG

Thanks for taking a look and I always appreciate the C&C.

Okay so before I move on to the NL Central, I've got a couple updates for the Rockies and Giants. The Rockies get an updated logo with a new shade of purple and new wordmarks and the Giants have an updated alternate cap and sock stripes to complete the old-school aesthetic.

591140091ba5c_coloradorockiespresentation.png.9d440796dd09299d50de7c28a9c5dbe0.png

591140039343b_coloradorockiespresentation2.png.b13756e184ea2a4cfa8f2b1f622730e6.png

59113ff72084c_sanfranciscogiantspresentation.png.54f42381f0c683b6d322d9e079f9e14f.png

59113ffc228a3_sanfranciscogiantspresentation2.png.0bd48cc99b0708aeef8d98f20407597f.png

The first NL Central team will be up tomorrow, Thanks for all of the C&C and feedback on these concepts so far.

Today I have the (I can't believe I'm even typing this) World Series Champion Chicago Cubs. I did change the font in the logo to match the word marks and C better. The Cubs home uniforms are iconic, so there's not much you can change, and frankly not much I would change. The only significant change I made was the change to the retro angry cub logo as a sleeve patch on all of the jerseys, including the home jersey. While the cubs home uniforms have remained relatively untouched over the years, they have experiment with various road looks over the years. I went with the underlined Chicago wordmark because I have always just really liked it. The piping is red on the sleeves and pants mostly because I liked the way it looked and tied into the undeline.

The blue alternate is a road-only look with the Cubs roundel logo on the left chest paired with the traditonal blue cap. The BP uniform has the angry cub on the cap and a Cubs wordmark across the front of a simple blue jersey. 

IMG_0804.PNG.add820b7375bc4c323e117bd22619286.PNG

IMG_0803.PNG.977625b26605d112fbf81439b2619f12.PNG

Well there they are. Thanks for taking the time to have a look and I appreciate any and all feedback. 

2 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Great updates on both Colorado and the Giants. That lighter shade of purple makes a big difference. Did you see my suggestion for the Dodgers?

Looking forward to the Central!

I did and I don't know about powder blue, that feels like Kansas City's thing now, especially since I plan on a light blue uniform for them. I will work on a different alt though and I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your input on all of these concepts.

7 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

I did and I don't know about powder blue, that feels like Kansas City's thing now, especially since I plan on a light blue uniform for them. I will work on a different alt though and I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your input on all of these concepts.

I just thought having two alts in the same color is redundant, but I just noticed your blue "Dodgers" alt is a BP jersey. In that case, no need to change the color.

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I like what you've done with the Cubs! If I can make one suggestion, it would be to model the road alt off their gorgeous 1980s road jersey. It's a great look that they need to bring back, and your road alt is already pretty close to it.

That is a sharp looking jersey. I'll make some tweaks to make mine closer to that

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Any updates soon?

No updates on the Cubs yet, I've been super busy and just got some time to post tow more NL Central teams. First, I have the Pirates. I think they have great looking home and road uniforms, but I think their best look is in vests, so white and grey vested jerseys with blacks sleeves are back, complete with sock stripes. The all-black alternate uniform draws inspiration form the Pirates era of mix and match uniforms. The set also includes a yellow batting practice jersey.

IMG_0812.PNG.c6a6c597eea345b69823284b0c47fc75.PNG

IMG_0811.PNG.b00e6884f13d297db4805727ace4e66c.PNG

Next is the Milwaukee Brewers, a team with lots of good uniform pieces but IMO, they have never put together a solid set (I'm one of those people who never cared fo the glove logo.) I thought I'd fully embrace the beer label aesthetic by creating a primary logo and scripts inspired by an actual beer label.I also brought back the retro block M logo. The new colors are navy, mustard gold and cream.IMG_0810.PNG.c8950c4dab1c07235a60e7231ead7ff4.PNG

IMG_0813.PNG.f1bd1a1cc9153622dc82ee0e5442071b.PNG

the set also includes a gold alternate and navy blue batting bractice uniform featuring the Brewers Wisconsin logo on the cap and left chest.

just noticed I forgot to arch the NOB, I'll fix that.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look and C&C is always welcome. I'm looking forward to some great feedback. Thanks again

This is one of the nicer Brewers concepts I've seen on these forums. That road alt is a thing of beauty! Loving the beer label logo, too.

Pittsburgh looks good too, but the solid yellow alt looks a little weird paired with road gray pants. 

I hate being a Brewers fan to be honest.  Im trying really had to like the concept but im just so in love with the navy and bright golf ball and glove logo its hard seeing anything different and liking it.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

This is one of the nicer Brewers concepts I've seen on these forums. That road alt is a thing of beauty! Loving the beer label logo, too.

Pittsburgh looks good too, but the solid yellow alt looks a little weird paired with road gray pants. 

Thanks, I think the Brewers concept has been one of my favorites too. the far right uniform is always going to be a batting practice/Spring Training jersey/cap, by the way. On that note, I'm not crazy about the yellow cap for the Pirates, the more that I look at it.

On 5/9/2017 at 9:29 AM, coco1997 said:

I like what you've done with the Cubs! If I can make one suggestion, it would be to model the road alt off their gorgeous 1980s road jersey. It's a great look that they need to bring back, and your road alt is already pretty close to it.

Got an update to the Cubs road alternate uniform, with different sleeve stripes based on the road jersey from the 80's. Thanks for taking a look. stay tuned for the St Louis Cardinals later today.

5919a176a4b83_chicagocubspresentation2.png.79e5fc1d4a49a5a4296a6dcfeff93018.png

Archived