8BW14's MLB Redesign: Portland Athletics and Seattle Mariners

8BW14

So here's one that I had a lot of fun with. All of the MLB expansion/relocation talk inspired me to come up with a concept for  Portland, which I think is just a cool city.  One of the most intriguing rumors I heard was the possibility, however slim ( I don't really know, I don't pay a ton of attention to this stuff), was the Athletics packing up and settling down in Portland. Some people like Beavers or Cascades or Pioneers for a team in Portland and I might agree if an expansion team came to town, but I think the Athletics have the perfect name for the city. Portland is quirky, known for its unique denizens, hipsters riding penny farthings you know, that sort of stuff. Athletics is a unique old-timey sounding nickname and the team uses a giant white elephant balancing on a ball for a logo. What's more ironic than that? The color scheme works perfectly too. Oregon is known for its forests, Portland is a "green" city, its like it was just meant to be. Now, all of that having been said, I think the A's brand could use a refresh for the hypothetical move to Portland. First, I added a second shade of green to the forest green and gold color scheme. It's a bright color, somewhere between Kelly green and emerald green. The logo got an update too. I kept the roundel, but updated the font, added the star for the city flag to the logo and incorporated the second green color.

PLbXwO5.png

As you can see, the uniforms are where things kinda go off the rails. Portland is a unique city where the people march to the beat of their own drum, so why not reflect that in the uniforms. The Portland A's would be the only team in MLB to not have a gray jersey and wear colored uniforms primarily. The home uniform is gold, with tri-colored sleeve and pants striping. The road uniform is something to behold. A forest green uniform with tonal pinstripes, Portland across the chest, and single color numbers. I thought it had the feel of a throwback to way, way back, but was modern and "out there" at the same time.

jyJheiQ.png

The alternate uniform is a white version of the home uniform with Portland across the chest and would be worn for Sunday home day games. The bright green jersey is a Spring Training/batting practice jersey and is paired with gray pants, which are worn only during spring training and BP as well.

Well, that's it and I have to say that I had a lot of fun with this one. I'd love to know what everyone thinks. Thanks for having a look and please feel free to leave any and all feedback.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great! I love the duel green shades, especially on the pinstriped set. My only suggestion would be try to center the "A's" logo within the roundel. 

I'm really happy this series is back, and I hope you see it through to the completion of the AL. 

On 5/18/2018 at 5:27 PM, coco1997 said:

This is great! I love the duel green shades, especially on the pinstriped set. My only suggestion would be try to center the "A's" logo within the roundel.

I'm really happy this series is back, and I hope you see it through to the completion of the AL. 

That's the idea, of course, it wa Amy intention last summer too. It may be slow to finish but I intend to finish the AL and maybe go back and redo some of the NL teams I'm not so happy with anymore.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:07 PM, Section30 said:

I love the A's set, I agree about centering the A in the logo though

Thanks for the input guys. I was trying to make the A as big as possible and it's kind of an awkward shape to fit inside a circle so yeah it definitely looks off. I'll fix that. 

ZJfByQi.png

C2IXOCk.png

Here is a Mariners concept for your viewing pleasure. I think their current look is a bit generic and dated. The color scheme is great, but the rest of the identity is boring IMO. So, I created a new set of logos, making the compass rose more prominent. I also tweaked the colors a bit, brightening up the teal and making the blue a touch more green. Teal is incorporated more prominently into the wordmarks and numbers to bring a little more visual interest to the uniforms. I also brought back the lower case wordmarks, something unique to the Mariners in the past. The blue jersey is a alternate that would be worn bit on the road and at home and the teal jersey and cap are For Spring Training and batting practice.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and as always, any and all feedback is appreciated. 

Nice job on the Mariners! The new teal and navy shades look great and I really like that you brought back their old number style. 

What if you made the center of the compass white to make it more clear that the logo is an "S"?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 9:46 AM, 8BW14 said:

Although there are has been an influx of baseball concepts on here lately, I thought I would finally throw my hat into the ring. I have been working on this project in my free time for a while and I finally have something to show you guys. Basically, I wanted to reign in the alternate overload in baseball and give each team a great look, some will get pretty drastic changes and some teams will get some pretty minimal changes. Each team will get a home uniform, road uniform, alternate uniform/jersey, and a batting practice jersey where I chose to have some fun and go outside of the box or look back at some historical looks. I have the National League done and I'm going to start with a team from the NL West today and I'll do my best to get a new team up every day or two.

So without further ado, I have the Arizona Diamondbacks. I think most of us would agree the Diamondbacks uniforms are a big mess with way too much going on, to say the least. One thing I think they did get right was the great red, black, and turquoise color scheme, it definitely has a Southwestern feel to it. My concept for the Diamondbacks is simple and modern, drawing inspiration from past Diamondbacks' uniforms. The primary home uniform is white, the road is gray, the alt is red and BP is black.  

arizona diamondbacks presentation.png

arizona diamondbacks presentation 2.png

So here it is. As always, Id love to hear what everyone thinks an C&C is definitely welcome. Thanks for taking a look and the Padres are on the way tomorrow.

Simply gorgeous. Dbacks really don't need to go back to purple at all. The colors they have now are unique and beautiful. They just need to do better with the design.

Archived