Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RyanMcD29

Is that trash Ed Sheeran Mid-2000's R&B Sounding Song The Hot Summer Jam of 2017?

34 posts in this topic

We're in May and Memorial Day weekend's around the corner, so it's time to start up our annual discussion of what's going to be the hot summer jam of this summer.

I'd say the pre-summer clubhouse leader is that crappy "Shape of You" song that I couldn't believe was Ed Sheeran until I looked up the song on Google.

21 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

We're in May and Memorial Day weekend's around the corner, so it's time to start up our annual discussion of what's going to be the hot summer jam of this summer.

I'd say the pre-summer clubhouse leader is that crappy "Shape of You" song that I couldn't believe was Ed Sheeran until I looked up the song on Google.

I actually like "Shape of You."

However, I think it's already too old to be #HSJ17. In one of my geography classes, I play music from/pertaining to/mentioning that day's world region in the few minutes before class starts. For Europe, the first song I play is always the highest-charting song on the Billboard Hot 100 by a European artist. This semester, it was "Shape of You." That was in late January.

That said - I think we're overdue for an absolute smash. The last few years have been disappointing. We need another "Call Me Maybe." 

Only released a few days ago, but I guarantee you will hear this song even if you hate everyone involved in this video.

9 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Only released a few days ago, but I guarantee you will hear this song even if you hate everyone involved in this video.

I just heard this for the first time and I'd say that there is not much doubt that this will probably be #1 for most of the summer, if not at least top 3. It's one of those songs that I don't hate now, but I know I will by mid June once it has been played to death.

Currently the only other songs that I know of that could be in that conversation is either Hard Times by Paramore (won't be lighting up the charts, but will probably be around the same place as Ain't It Fun was a couple of years ago), and Love by Kendrick Lamar (already top 20 on the Hot 100 and I can see it getting significant radio time if released as a single).

10 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I actually like "Shape of You."

However, I think it's already too old to be #HSJ17. In one of my geography classes, I play music from/pertaining to/mentioning that day's world region in the few minutes before class starts. For Europe, the first song I play is always the highest-charting song on the Billboard Hot 100 by a European artist. This semester, it was "Shape of You." That was in late January.

That said - I think we're overdue for an absolute smash. The last few years have been disappointing. We need another "Call Me Maybe." 

The Rape Song (i.e. "Blurred Lines") smashed 2013 if you recall. I barfed all summer.

Admittedly I'm a pop fan, sue me in advance. But I like to keep tabs on the biggest summer jams throughout the years, and you're right: we haven't had a big summer jam in years. The Weeknd's "Can't Feel My Face" in 2015 was the closest competitor to "Call Me Maybe" imo, but doesn't beat it out.

I have a strong feeling that "I'm the One" will be a smash (cause Bieber), but might not be the summer song. I have no idea what could be though.

That one Chainsmokers song was the song of summer 2016 and it didn't come out until late July.

I'm the One will most likely sail us through the first half of the summer. Calvin Harris has a new song called Heatstroke that features Ariana Grande and Pharrel which will probably blow up as well.

Lorde's got a new album coming out and her single Green Light should be pretty big, it's one of the only pop songs I will actually go out of my way to listen to.

1 hour ago, BayouJim said:

Calvin Harris has a new song called Heatstroke that features Ariana Grande and Pharrel which will probably blow up as well.

I think his other new song, Slide with Frank Ocean and Migos, will also be big.

I'm a fan of Slide and have been listening to it a lot recently.

3 people like this

12 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

The only one I like out of that entire group is Chance the Rapper

1 person likes this

"iSpy" was released months too soon. It's already a summer song as is. That songs been stuck in my head for weeks. Love it though. 

"I'm the One" is going to be a hit. "HUMBLE." is already on the fall (:() and "That's What I Like" won't stay their long. "Shape of You" is played out and old. It's on the fall. 

"Mask Off" or "XO TOUR Llif3?" The latter doesn't feel like a summer song, but Mask Off maybe? Catchy, nice beat, overrated, pretty much a summer song in a nutshell. 

18 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

I made it 13 seconds after the cringe inducing intro mercifully ended... 

I know I don't see Future and Quavo slander already in this thread how dare y'all

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, ~Bear said:

"iSpy" was released months too soon. It's already a summer song as is. That songs been stuck in my head for weeks. Love it though.  

I'm a fan of Kyle so I definitely think that's a fun song. Don't know if it will get to the level of a summer hit, but I like the song nonetheless.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:46 PM, BlackBolt3 said:

:censored: that.

That Shape of You song will be a summer jam, I guarantee it. I have a good methodology to tell what will be. I work at a bar, and when the DJ plays that song, all the basic bitches in the place squeal in unison. I'm not exaggerating, they'll hear the opening chords or notes of a song that inevitably goes on to become a summer jam, and immediately a chorus of shrieks can be heard. It's actually quite creepy. Every song that does that inevitably goes on to be a massive summer hit. It happened with Hotline Bling. It happened with Closer, it happens with Shape of You. 

Fellow ginger Justin Turner of the Dodgers has that Ed Sheeran song playing when he bats.

I kind of like Ed Sheeran but I'm not a fan of "Shape of You."  I think his other current, though less popular, song, "Castle on the Hill" is considerably better.  I don't doubt that "I'm the One" song will be popular since it's not bad and has a lot of big names in it but it doesn't scream song of the summer, to me.

1 person likes this

On May 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM, BayouJim said:

That one Chainsmokers song was the song of summer 2016 and it didn't come out until late July.

I'm the One will most likely sail us through the first half of the summer. Calvin Harris has a new song called Heatstroke that features Ariana Grande and Pharrel which will probably blow up as well.

I was gonna say Can't Stop the Feeling was up there, but then realized that Closer has a BILLION (seriously, go check it out) more views on Youtube, in less time.

On May 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM, BayouJim said:

It's been out for more than a month and only has 3.5 million views. It's not going anywhere.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:21 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

I don't know what song will be the one, but "Shape Of You" won't be it. It's already starting its descent down from the top of the pop airplay charts.

Also, the song is terrible. The rest of the album is pretty good, too, which makes this song stick out so much as being particularly awful. It sounds like a Rihanna reject.