Sign in to follow this  
RyanMcD29

Is that trash Ed Sheeran Mid-2000's R&B Sounding Song The Hot Summer Jam of 2017?

BayouJim    806
8 hours ago, nash61 said:

It's been out for more than a month and only has 3.5 million views. It's not going anywhere.

It hasn't gotten an official release on YouTube (Youtube video is 1:30 long) and has over 25 million listens on Spotify, if you haven't heard the song yet, you will. It's generic enough with top names that will get it to the top of the charts

Screenshot_20170504-101227.png

JWhiz96    198
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:08 PM, BlackBolt3 said:

I know I don't see Future and Quavo slander already in this thread how dare y'all

Quavo's good, Future's hella overrated (although I do like some of his stuff).

This year seems to be a lot more hip-hop oriented than past years. Almost reminds me of the early 90s and 00s.

Gobbi    238
1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

I don't know what song will be the one, but "Shape Of You" won't be it. It's already starting its descent down from the top of the pop airplay charts.

Also, the song is terrible. The rest of the album is pretty good, too, which makes this song stick out so much as being particularly awful. It sounds like a Rihanna reject.

It's funny you say that because the song was intended to be written for Rihanna.

Germanshepherd    538

If anything from Kendrick gets consistent airplay over the summer I'll be ecstatic. 

Even though if I had to pick a hot summer jam it'd be "Slide" its in the top 40 right now, and it's pretty much the perfect song for driving with the windows down on a sunny day. 

Complex had an story about this on Snapchat and it mentioned basically all the main rap top 40 songs with a few wild cards that I think have a shot at taking off in the summer. Like "Magnolia" by Playboi Carti, it's nothing special, but admittedly catchy in an annoying type of way, and I've seen it used in a couple of dance videos that found their way on to my Instagram explore page. Another song that was mentioned, "Unforgettable" by French Montana and Swae Lee has some momentum, even though it's not very Summer-y sounding. 

nash61    850

From the comments section:

This song sounds like driving with the windows down on a hot summer day. Love it

stumpygremlin    133
19 hours ago, Gobbi said:

It's funny you say that because the song was intended to be written for Rihanna.

Nice.

On a somewhat related note, has any songwriter of recent memory faced more plagiarism charges than Ed Sheeran?

"Photograph" just settled a lawsuit with the writers of Matt Cardle's song "Amazing"

"Thinking Out Loud" is being accused of having ripped off of "Let's Get It On"

"Shape Of You" just gave writing credits to the writers of TLC's "No Scrubs"

RyanMcD29    312

The Ringer put out a guide to previewing the Hot Summer Song race https://theringer.com/2017-song-of-summer-guide-early-contenders-4b7ca1cc30a5

Since this thread was started by your's truly, it looks like "Despacito" is everywhere, and it looks like it's their early favorite to take the crowd

Bruins    563

To answer the question of the thread no, don't hate the song but I'm already sick of it.

A straight hip-hop song just won't be THE song, at least this year. Most aren't generically catchy enough. I personally think another Dance artist will have it this year, like Closer last year. Slide is definitely a candidate, I've heard it multiple times, it's great. I also think Calvin Harris will have at least one more megasmash on Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1, possibly the upcoming Katy Perry collab?

Zeus89725    952

I cannot :censored:ing stand Shape of You. Not only is the beat :censored: ty, but so are the lyrics. Come on, he rhymes "magnet" and "you."

And even if he says "Push and pull like a magnet do," it's still grammatically wrong. I hate this song with a passion.

mr.nascar13    653
16 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

And even if he says "Push and pull like a magnet do," it's still grammatically wrong. I hate this song with a passion.

So THAT'S what he's been saying...

I didn't mind the song at first, but it just got overplayed very quickly. "Castle on the Hill" is much better.

CS85    5,185

I'll nominate blink-182's "Good Old Days."  Fun, dancy tune about ambiguous youth-like stuff written by 40-somethings, just how I like it.

the admiral    10,195

All HAIM songs sound the same to me but I still kinda like them for the general vibe.

stumpygremlin    133
On 5/19/2017 at 10:13 AM, mr.nascar13 said:

So THAT'S what he's been saying...

I didn't mind the song at first, but it just got overplayed very quickly. "Castle on the Hill" is much better.

Every other song on his new album is better.

nash61    850
On May 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM, RyanMcD29 said:

The Ringer put out a guide to previewing the Hot Summer Song race https://theringer.com/2017-song-of-summer-guide-early-contenders-4b7ca1cc30a5

Since this thread was started by your's truly, it looks like "Despacito" is everywhere, and it looks like it's their early favorite to take the crowd

Turns out the early predictions were right. Despacito will end up taking the crown.

McCarthy    6,595

Lately I've been hearing the Calvin Harris, Pharrel, Katy Perry song "Feels" a lot. Sounds like it was engineered in a lab to be a summer song.  

Germanshepherd    538
On 8/8/2017 at 9:28 AM, McCarthy said:

Lately I've been hearing the Calvin Harris, Pharrel, Katy Perry song "Feels" a lot. Sounds like it was engineered in a lab to be a summer song.  

That whole new Calvin Harris album is just perfect for a summer road trip, provided that you skip the Nicki Minaj track. I did that this summer and loved the experience. 

kroywen    1,391

I'll second those saying that "Castle on the Hill" is a far superior song to "Shape of You." I generally can't stand Ed Sheeran, but that song is legitimately good.

Also, don't listen to that song while driving through one of your favorite parts of your old hometown that you haven't seen in long time, while on the way to visit some old high school friends at one of your favorite high school hangouts right before it shuts down permanently. Never thought a freaking Ed Sheeran song would hit me right in the feels, but damn...

the admiral    10,195

Gotye : Sting :: Francis and the Lights : Peter Gabriel

love love love this song