My first...

smzimbabwe

...game that I attended

MLB - Baltimore at Seattle

NBA - L.A. Lakers at Seattle

NFL - Cincinnati at Seattle (scab game in 1987, oh well, it still counts)

NHL - Calgary at Vancouver

NCAA football - California at Washington

WHL - Saskatoon at Seattle

MLS - New York at Seattle

Sporting event - Alberta at Anchorage (CBA)

World Cup game - Romania vs. Colombia

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBA - Cavaliers at Jazz, March 2001

MLB - Orioles at Mariners, August 12, 2015 (Hisashi Iwakuma's no hitter - AWESOME game)

MLS - Montreal at RSL, July 9, 2016

NCAAF - Wyoming at BYU, November 2002

NFL, NHL - None

I'm a little fuzzy on my first NCAAB game, but I believe it was San Diego State vs BYU sometime around 2004 or 2005. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

NFL - Houston Texans @ Miami Dolphins (October 25, 2015)

MLB - Philadelphia Phillies @ San Francisco Giants (Sometime in 1999; too young to remember exact date)

NBA - N/A

NHL - New York Rangers @ Washington Capitals (February 25, 2011)

NCAAF - Minnesota @ Ohio State (November 2, 2002)

NCAAB - Northwestern @ Ohio State (February 18, 2006)

• MLB - Brewers at Twins, 1981.  My dad thought I may be a bit too young but the Metrodome was coming next season and he wanted to get me to an outdoor game.  I was seven so I remember some of it.  That it was the Brewers was kinda cool since I've now seen the Twins vs. the Brewers in five ballparks.
  • NBA - Bulls at Timberwolves, 1989.  First ever regular season T-Wolves home game.  Sat very, very far away at the Metrodome.
  • NFL - Bucs at Vikings, mid-1980s.  From about the 4th row.  Creamsicle (white uniform) Bucs!  (Edit: I think that was #2...#1 was the Steelers in the mid-1980s)
  • NHL - Capitals at North Stars, mid 1980s. Ended in a tie.  4-4, I wanna say.
  • NCAA football - Ohio State at Minnesota, 1981.  Again, my dad brought me for a last shot at an outdoor game.  I barely remember this one at all but Minnesota won on a comeback and, according to him, it was one of the best games he's ever seen
  • NCAA basketball - Minnesota Gophers, early-to-mid-1980s.  Opponent?
  • NCAA hockey - Minnesota Gophers, mid-1980s.  Opponent? 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There's a lot of leagues I've never seen play, but are on my sports bucket list.

NFL: Titans at Colts, 2011. This was the year that my beloved Colts went 2-14 without Peyton Manning, but this game was their first win of the season. Donald Brown had 161 yards rushing which is like, off the charts for the Colts.

NBA: Never Been

MLB: Blue Jays at Indians, 2009..? My grandma retired from teaching, and my family took her to an Indians game as a gift.

NHL: Never Been

NCAA football: Ohio State at Illinois, 2008...? My dad and his brothers go to an Ohio State away game every year, and I was lucky enough to be one of the boys that day.

NCAA Basketball: Never Been

Hopefully I can add to my list as I get older, but if I end up with the job I want, I should have no problem with that.

spacer.png

MLB: September 6, 1998: Mets vs. Braves at Shea Stadium. Braves won 4-0 on a 3-hit shutout by John Smoltz.

NBA: 1999: A Nets game at the Meadowlands, soon after the lockout ended.

NHL: November 14, 2007: Rangers vs. Devils at the Prudential Center, (yeah, took me that long to get to an NHL game for some reason). Rangers won 4-2 - it was their first game at the new Prudential Center. You can imagine that the NJ Transit train back to Penn Station was packed with Rangers fans that night.

NFL: Never been to a game, believe it or not. Guess it's a combination of super-expensive tickets, liking to be home to watch multiple games on Sundays, and cold weather (you couldn't pay me to sit outside at a chilly November/December game).

NCAA basketball: 1999: A Fairfield-Marist game at the old Alumni Hall at Fairfield University.

Curiously enough, none of these were at my favorite teams' home venues. I'm a Yankees, Knicks, and Rangers fan, and couldn't care less about Fairfield University. Wound up going to my first game at Yankee Stadium a mere week after my first MLB game at Shea, though.

MLB: Mariners @ Orioles (sometime in 2004)

NFL: Rams @ Ravens (2007)

NHL: Senators at Capitals (January 2016)

All else: Never

spacer.png

Man, I'm old.  Most of these are in the 70s for me, so my memory is little hazy.  I think NFL is Patriots @ Colts in 1974.  Everything else would be just a guess.*

I can tell you that my son's first NFL game was Raiders @ Ravens in 2006 and his first NBA game was Pelicans @ Wizards about two months ago.

* -- Except World Cup.  Norway vs. Mexico, 1994.  RFK  Stadium.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

NHL: Ottawa @ Toronto- October 5th 2005

MLB: ? @ Toronto- Early 2000's

NBA: N/A

NFL: N/A (though I saw a preseason game once, Tennessee @ Buffalo in 2007)

OHL: ? @ Kitchener- Early 2003

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

MLB: San Francisco Giants at Colorado Rockies, 2007

NBA: Orlando Magic at Utah Jazz, December 9th (I think??), 2010

NFL: Yet to attend

NHL: Yet to attend

MLS: Yet to attend (though RSL is minutes away)

NCAA Football: Not sure who they played, but at Utah State in August or September 2007

NCAA Basketball: Similar to NCAA fooball, but at Utah State in November 2007

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

NHL: Penguins-Flyers sometime in the late 90's

NBA: Thunder at Nuggets game 3 of the first round of the 2011 playoffs. The only NBA game I've ever been to. 

MLB: I don't even know. I've been going to Reds games since I was a toddler. The first I remember was a Reds-Mets game in what would've been 1993 because they had their new uniforms and I remember that because my dad and some stranger were remarking about how their new uniforms weren't helping. 

NFL: Bengals-Dolphins 1995 aka the Shula Bowl. Bengals lost on a missed field goal. 

NCAAF: Ohio State-Purdue 1995. Eddie George ran all over the Boilermakers

MLS: Crew-DC United 1996

PvO6ZWJ.png

MLB: Rangers @ Red Sox, May 6, 1989.  Old-Timers Day honor Carl Yastrzemski.  My dad who grew up during the 60s and 70s wanted me to be able to say that I saw Carl Yastrzemski (even if he wasn't playing)

NFL: Raiders @ Patriots, January 19, 2002. The Snow Bowl (or the Tuck Rule game for those outside of New England).  With the Pats on their miracle run, and earning a home playoff spot to close out Foxboro Stadium, I wanted to be able to see the last possible game ever played there.  Worst conditions but probably the best football game I have ever been to.

NHL: Flyers @ Bruins, I'll get the dates.  It was one of the Playoff games...I think from 2010.  Great atmosphere.  been to many more since.

MLS: CD Chivas USA @ Revolution.  Meh, it was a soccer game.  I think it ended in a tie

NBA: Yet to attend.  Didn't get to go during the Bird era unfortunately.  90s felt to showboaty for my taste.  Just not into it enough to spend the money

MLB: Cincinnati at LA Dodgers (1998; I might have the date wrong, but I just remember that the Dodgers lost badly and the Reds were wearing their gray vests with the black sleeves)

Auto Racing: Long Beach Grand Prix (2003)

MLS: San Jose at LA Galaxy (2004)

NHL: Phoenix at Los Angeles (2005/2006, don't quite remember the exact date, but I know it was pre RBK-Edge as the Kings still had their purple hem on the black sweater)

NBA: Lakers at Clippers (2009; this was Andrew Bynum's 42 point game)

NCAAF: Houston at UCLA (2012)

NFL: Dallas at San Diego (2013)

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

MLB: Expos at Braves, either 1990 or 1991.  Expos had Oil Can Boyd pitching, and I think the Expos won 11-2 or something like that. (First game I remember)

NFL: Eagles at Falcons, Week 1 in 2005 (MNF). Documented that before.

NBA: Hornets at Hawks, 1998, Game 3 of the first round of the NBA playoffs. Only game the Hawks won in the series. Held at Georgia Dome.

NHL: Islanders at Thrashers, 1999 or 2000.  Inaugural season.

NCAAF: Western Carolina at Georgia Tech, 1994: Only game Georgia Tech won that season.

NCAAB: Duke at Georgia Tech, 2012. Game held at Philips Arena. Only attended because we had a Hawks game that night.

MLS: NY Red Bull at Atlanta United, March 5, 2017.

Olympic Event: Archery at Stone Mountain Park, 1996 Atlanta Olympics

(I tried to go in chronological order.)

Sporting event - Oilers vs. Cowboys (in Orlando for some reason) Preseason, 1995

NASCAR - 1998 Daytona 500 (Dale Earnhardt's only 500 win)

NCAAF - N.C. State vs. Kansas, 2003 Champs Sports Bowl (Orlando)

NFL - Jets at Buccaneers, preseason, August, 2006

NCAAB - Toledo at Florida State, March, 2007 (NIT 1st round)

MLB - Braves at Marlins, July 1, 2007

NHL - Penguins at Lightning, March, 2010

NBA - Magic at Hawks, Feb. 2016

MLS - Atlanta United vs. NY Red Bulls, March, 2017 (Atlanta's inaugural match!)

ClAFLDa.png

NFL: Jaguars @ Redskins (1997 season)

NBA: Chicago Bulls @ Washington Bullets (95-96 season)

MLB: Mariners @ Nationals (2005 season)

NHL: Bruins @ Capitals (regular season finale 2013 season)

WNBA: Washington Mystics home game. Forgot their opponent (inaugural season)

Arena Football: Baltimore Brigade @ Washington Valor (April 7, 2017)

MLS: Toronto FC @ DC United (2015 season)

FBS College Football: Syracuse @ Maryland (I think 1990)

Division 1 College Basketball: Hampton @ Howard (women & men double header in 2000)

MAJOR D1 Basketball: DuPaul @ Georgetown (want to say 2010)

Hotter Than July > Thriller

MLB - Brewers (I think) at Jays, Exhibition Stadium, not sure the year, I'll say 1986.

- vivid memory: classic steel RF line gen admission benches ftw.

NHL - Nordiques at Senators, Ottawa Civic Centre, December 1992.

- vivid memory: 6-1 Nords blowout, young Sundin physical specimen.

CFL - Roughriders at Rough Riders, Lansdowne Park, early 90's.

- vivid memory: bright sunny evening.

NBA - Knicks at Raptors, Air Canada Centre, late 90's.

- vivid memory: nearly soaking up the new arena as much as the game itself.

AAA - Someone at the Ottawa Lynx, Lynx Stadium, mid 90's.

- vivid memory: Mark Grudzielanek was the only player I recognized at the time.
Soccer - Uruguay v Mexico Pan Am gold medal match, Pan Am Soccer Stadium, Hamilton 2015.

- vivid memory: hot yet pleasant afternoon, fun vocal crowd.

Olympics (hockey) - Switzerland v USA, Canada Hockey Place, 2010.

- vivid memory: arriving early enough to soak up the entire Olympics experience/pre-game, & also fun energy waiting for games 2 (Norway v Canada) & nightcap (Lativa v Russia) I had sick tickets for all 3 (I'd 'won' my choice of tickets to buy 18mos out, I was well planned ahead).

You can probably see, as a kid, my mom's side of the family was Ottawa based & were frequent attendees with tickets.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived