Was this an official secondary logo for the Twins in the 1970's?

matthew516

The 70s are before my time, so I may not be the best to reply...but I've never seen this.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, matthew516 said:

Ah, thanks.  Funny that I don't remember that patch; those were some of my prime baseball-watching years.

I do not dig it.  The arrangement of colours does not invoke the Texas flag or the Dallas flag (though I don't know if they were going for some other allusion that I am not aware of); and the Texas image is not centred properly.  Also, it uses a generic font rather than the distinctive Rangers wordmark.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I remember that patch, but I've never seen it up close before.  As a kid, I always assumed it was some sort of commemorative patch.

. . . and I can't help with the Twins logo (to avoid fully Rangejacking the thread.  :P)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Ah, thanks.  Funny that I don't remember that patch; those were some of my prime baseball-watching years.

I do not dig it.  The arrangement of colours does not invoke the Texas flag or the Dallas flag (though I don't know if they were going for some other allusion that I am not aware of); and the Texas image is not centred properly.  Also, it uses a generic font rather than the distinctive Rangers wordmark.

It was adapted from the bicentennial patch used in 1976: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/2078/Texas_Rangers/1976/Misc_Logo

Perhaps that came from some official design?

11 minutes ago, insert name said:

I love how the question was about the Twins but everyone focused on the Rangers.

In fairness, it took me a solid 15 seconds or so to even notice the Twins logo in the background. I was staring at the picture thinking "wait, what Twins logo?"

10 minutes ago, Raymie said:

It was adapted from the bicentennial patch used in 1976: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/2078/Texas_Rangers/1976/Misc_Logo

Perhaps that came from some official design?

So, I wasn't so far off . . . or at least I was right for one season.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

20 minutes ago, kroywen said:

In fairness, it took me a solid 15 seconds or so to even notice the Twins logo in the background. I was staring at the picture thinking "wait, what Twins logo?"

Yeah, I was about to  say "the 'T' on that hat stands for 'Texas.'"

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't like it either.  I noticed it and thought maybe it was some kind of temporary charity (Hits for Kids) thing or something.

More Texjacking (of a thread involving my own team), I love that hat.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

While searching for a way to continue the Texjacking (much better word choice) on a different subject, I found a picture showing the Bicentennial and subsequent patches side by side.

7185755034_3c211cc96b_o.png

This picture also highlights the subject of my originally planned Texjacking.  In what may have been a unique (or very close to unique) style, the Rangers' jerseys in that era were pullovers with two-button plackets.  That feature is visible in the Jenkins picture, but it is easier to see on this picture.

On one last note, the picture below is small, but it shows the powder blue road jersey being worn with the white pants.  I don't remember ever seeing that. EDIT:  I found a bigger picture of this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSq02yr6PPFlgSvPCOdd6O4760771417_3c9335a36b_o.jpg

Does anyone miss the team logos on the outfield walls?  Nostalgia is definitely strong here for me, but I don't think I'd want them back.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Does anyone miss the team logos on the outfield walls?  Nostalgia is definitely strong here for me, but I don't think I'd want them back.

They were being largely phased out by the time I became a fan, and seemed super-dated at the time, so no nostalgia for them on my part. I personally don't think I'd want them back. I suppose they're mildly better than advertisements all over the place, but I'd much rather have pennants for each team (like at Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, etc.) than wall logos.

4 hours ago, kroywen said:

At first I thought that I had clicked on the wrong thread but didn't see another player in the picture.  I guess I blame the fact that the logo was not in focus. Sharp eyes, OP!

I can't speak to this version but outfield wall logos in the 70's where vastly inconsistent so any sort of hacked together unofficial logo version might be possible. I think a lot of these were one offs produced by the stadium just for that singular purpose.  I think probably because of a lack of attention and resources back in that era and that nobody really cared so much about branding, trademarks, etc.  

20 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I remember that patch, but I've never seen it up close before.  As a kid, I always assumed it was some sort of commemorative patch.

. . . and I can't help with the Twins logo (to avoid fully Rangejacking the thread.  :P)

15 hours ago, sayahh said:

Texjacking (verb): researching an obscure logo while ignoring the original query. 

??⚾?

I didn't completely ignore the original query.  :P

19 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I have a nostalgic affinity for them but I don't think I'd actually want to have them back either.  I remember hearing that the AL teams on the walls at the Metrodome were sorted to match the standings, which I thought was pretty cool.  But it just seems very 70s/80s to do this.  The logos tended to be on big white backgrounds that stuck out more than you'd prefer on a blue or green wall.  All else equal, I want to say that logos are better than advertisements.  Ironically, though, as much as I hate advertisements creeping into my sports, they are, in a sense, more tastefully* done than the 1980s logos were.  Those logos kind of just seem like they belong in places like the Metrodome or the NL cookie cutters (or adjacent to artificial turf).  The "retro-ish" feel of new ballparks is not conducive to big white squares with team logos sticking out like sore thumbs.  Could the logos be done a little less loudly?  Maybe but I just kinda think the time for this has passed.  An added issue is that the NL and AL are not nearly as separate as they were in those days and just putting logos up for half of MLB would be weird.  But so would putting 30 logos up.  

I think the way to go is the Cubs way of using the flags as standings.  I think Target Field does that (or is this a Mandela effect?).  I also think both teams do so only in their respective leagues and that's OK for something this subtle.

*The whole idea of advertisements being more tasteful than baseball logos on a baseball park wall seems so preposterous that I felt weird saying it.  

POTD (Shared)

Archived