2017 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LII

canzman

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is the deal with Color Rush. If the League feels their isn't enough contrast with Color blindness or if both teams have the same color for their Color Rush the NFL makes the away team wear all white.

If a team doesn't have a Thursday Night game or can't wear their normal Color Rush due to contrast issues the team has the option of selecting a home game to wear their normal Color Rush for. This is optional though for teams not getting a Thursday or not getting to wear their normal if they want to wear the normal Color Rush.

So it appears New England has elected to exercise that option.

The Chargers also will exercise that option as their Blue vs. the Chiefs Red would not be enough contrast so the Chargers will wear their normal Color Rush week 13 vs. the Browns.

The Browns will be in all white due to contrast issues, and as far as I know have not elected to wear the normal Color Rush this season.

The Giants don't have a Thrusday Night game so they selected week 14 vs. the Cowboys. Since the Cowboys normal color rush is all white as well they will wear the "rare" navy jersey. It is not known if it will just be with the normal silver pants or if they will break some new navy pants.

No color rush for the Vikings this year right?

I hope they go all white at least once. Only wore them in the 2013 preseason and week 1 against SF in 2015 IIRC. I like the purple pants but not every road game and the stripless purple socks kinda ruin them a little.

1 hour ago, canzman said:

The Chargers also will exercise that option as their Blue vs. the Chiefs Red would not be enough contrast so the Chargers will wear their normal Color Rush week 13 vs. the Browns.

I'm sorry, but royal blue and red should be enough of a contrast (especially since they're both primary colors). Forgive my misunderstanding, but it doesn't make sense to me. I can see if the Chargers were playing the Rams for CR, that may present some problems with two light colors, but royal and red? C'mon now.

NSFCvyu.png

Just now, Old School Fool said:

I have wondered about mixing and matching Color Rush elements. I'm assuming any team can wear the pants if they want, but I'm not sure about the jersey.

Because the white pants are the exact same as the home gray but just white and id love to see them use that for prime time games 

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

I hope so.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

I have wondered about mixing and matching Color Rush elements. I'm assuming any team can wear the pants if they want, but I'm not sure about the jersey.

How about I bring you a quick mockup of how the all white unis look. Here's Gronk, but he might not play on that night.

gronk.jpg

11 hours ago, canzman said:

So here is the deal with Color Rush. If the League feels their isn't enough contrast with Color blindness or if both teams have the same color for their Color Rush the NFL makes the away team wear all white.

If a team doesn't have a Thursday Night game or can't wear their normal Color Rush due to contrast issues the team has the option of selecting a home game to wear their normal Color Rush for. This is optional though for teams not getting a Thursday or not getting to wear their normal if they want to wear the normal Color Rush.

So it appears New England has elected to exercise that option.

The Browns will be in all white due to contrast issues, and as far as I know have not elected to wear the normal Color Rush this season.

The Giants don't have a Thrusday Night game so they selected week 14 vs. the Cowboys. Since the Cowboys normal color rush is all white as well they will wear the "rare" navy jersey. It is not known if it will just be with the normal silver pants or if they will break some new navy pants.

This is all true, but it was also all decided way in advance.   What surprised me is this is obviously a late decision.  Patriots were never scheduled to wear color rush uniforms week 7.    this all white combo can still be a color rush uniform so the week 5 designation is technically correct (the best kind of correct).   But since it was a late decision to wear the navy color rush week 7, then I also have to assume it was a late decision to wear all white color rush week 5.   Thays all--  just surprised by the late decision. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

If the uniform element was designed specifically for Color Rush it can only be worn for Color Rush.

To my knowledge only the 49ers, Chiefs, Bears, Titans and Eagles can wear both the jersey and pants of Color Rush outside of Color Rush since they were used prior to color rush as an alternate look and really the only thing they designed for those Color Rush games is solid socks and cleats.

In the case of the Chiefs they don't even inforce solid socks for Color Rush just the solid cleats.

12 hours ago, VikWings said:

I hope they go all white at least once. Only wore them in the 2013 preseason and week 1 against SF in 2015 IIRC. I like the purple pants but not every road game and the stripless purple socks kinda ruin them a little.

Well since there only Thursday game is Thanksgiving against the Lions, and the Lions are wearing throwbacks I'm going to guess no. Really wish they broke out a throwback for that too. Thanksgiving was really awesome in the first half of the 00's when the games had every team wearing throwbacks. 

1 hour ago, goforbroke said:

This is all true, but it was also all decided way in advance.   What surprised me is this is obviously a late decision.  Patriots were never scheduled to wear color rush uniforms week 7.    this all white combo can still be a color rush uniform so the week 5 designation is technically correct (the best kind of correct).   But since it was a late decision to wear the navy color rush week 7, then I also have to assume it was a late decision to wear all white color rush week 5.   Thays all--  just surprised by the late decision. 

While true that the teams submit their uniform schedule way in advance we really do not know how quickly the league office is at reviewing the submission and deciding if any designated Color Rush games have any contrast issues.

Schedule could have been submitted back in early July and the League then doesn't bother to review it until after the schedule has already been provided to those "in the know".

My guess is this is what happened here. Schedules were provided and then after the fact they decided, "Well that week 5 match-up isn't a good one. Make the Pats go all white and see if they want to wear their normal Color Rush some other week."

3 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

Well since there only Thursday game is Thanksgiving against the Lions, and the Lions are wearing throwbacks I'm going to guess no. Really wish they broke out a throwback for that too. Thanksgiving was really awesome in the first half of the 00's when the games had every team wearing throwbacks. 

I agree with you but the Vikings no longer have the throwback as a viable option anymore.

It isn't listed as a uniform option for them. They only show the normal home and away and their color rush in league documentation.

11 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

I'm sorry, but royal blue and red should be enough of a contrast (especially since they're both primary colors). Forgive my misunderstanding, but it doesn't make sense to me. I can see if the Chargers were playing the Rams for CR, that may present some problems with two light colors, but royal and red? C'mon now.

Unless you are color blind can you truly say their is enough contrast between colors?

I desaturated this picture that has the Chargers Color Rush and the Chiefs... If this is what it is like for color blind I can understand the decision.
XzhP6x5.jpg

12 hours ago, VikWings said:

I don't think all white works for them anymore, sadly enough. Simply because of the striping. On the jerseys, the yellow sleeve stripe has white surrounding it but on the pants the yellow stripe has purple surrounding it. It just doesn't feel balanced to me. It feels like the uniform was designed specifically for purple jersey/white pants or white jersey/purple pants because of that. 

Archived