2017 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LII

canzman

On 11/13/2017 at 4:49 PM, s3ahawkz said:

Why doesn't the front office let the players choose the uniforms for some games? As long as it doesn't look really bad I don't see why you wouldn't let the players choose if they really wanted a certain uniform to be worn

Anytime the players get a say in what they wear, ugliness ensues. More often than not, when a team that normally avoids monochrome breaks it our for one game, when asked why, someone always says it was the player's idea.

As a general rule, the players have terrible ideas about what looks good.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Thanks. Without making this too dramatic, I stopped doing the lists because I had heart attack* back at the beginning of October. Needless to say, the lists became a low priority. That being said, I really appreciate everyone who followed and contributed to the lists every week. 

Hide contents

For those that might be interested or care, thanks to the Good Lord, a lot of crazy luck, and the world class staff at the Cleveland Clinic, I'm fine now. Believe it or not, I walked away in better shape than I was in before the heart attack. Miraculously, there was no muscle damage to my heart. My only restriction is that, because of the stents that were put in, I can't fly until January. My prognosis is excellent. In short, I really dodged a bullet. 

My dad has had two so I definitely know the severity of any heart attack. Great to know you're doing okay. Welcome back.

So the Bills are wearing all white due in part to the "LA heat" according to their Twitter page. As though the pant color will have any affect on how hot they are or how they perform. And now the Chargers are suddenly wearing all navy for the first time ever in their first game in their standard home jersey all year. And the game is on FOX between 2 AFC teams. What a mess. Do the Chargers think that flip flopping the home and away pant colors is gonna help them acquire a new identity in LA or something, cuz it's certainly not working.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Anytime the players get a say in what they wear, ugliness ensues. More often than not, when a team that normally avoids monochrome breaks it our for one game, when asked why, someone always says it was the player's idea.

As a general rule, the players have terrible ideas about what looks good.

Yep. I know for the Mets they actually let the starting pitcher select the uniforms every game. I guess this plays into the oddness and superstitious nature of pitcher too. You want them to be as comfortable as possible up there right down to the uniforms.

But yea the players would go out and think they look "fresh" and like "fire" in some Oregon Ducks monstrosity

Another way of thinking about it, they're in some very similar uniforms (home, road & practice) very often. Mixing it up with monochrome even once makes it feel like casual Friday to them

When I play through full seasons in Franchise mode on Madden, I sometimes switch up the uniforms in unexpected ways. I don't blame teams for wanting something different sometimes, it's just the way it is.

Speaking of Madden combos, I pulled this off once and I thought it was okay even though I'm a firm believer of the Eagles in Kelly Green.

ztfOk39.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

I really liked the all-navy look for the Chargers. I think it might even look better with their current white helmets than it did with the navy ones in 2003.

m3et1l-m3esvrap03102702538.jpg?w=620

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the Bills in all-white versus the Chargers with navy over navy will be a great looking game this week.

12 hours ago, RealSkillsAbraham said:

The Chargers have only gone mono navy once, and never in the new uniforms. Seems like a weird way to open up your navy jerseys. Plus, every single game in LA has had navy pants, except for the powder blues.

Imagine if they came out with powder blue pants

28 minutes ago, arron said:

Imagine if they came out with powder blue pants

Haha.  

I have to track it down but I did a major mockup with every colour combination for the Chargers and I think I even did powder blue pants.  I don't remember if I did yellow or not.  I'll see what I can find and post it....

16 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

So the Bills are wearing all white due in part to the "LA heat" according to their Twitter page. As though the pant color will have any affect on how hot they are or how they perform. And now the Chargers are suddenly wearing all navy for the first time ever in their first game in their standard home jersey all year. And the game is on FOX between 2 AFC teams. What a mess. Do the Chargers think that flip flopping the home and away pant colors is gonna help them acquire a new identity in LA or something, cuz it's certainly not working.

With the Bills ridiculously choosing to wear all-white they should wear the all-white throwbacks since the game is against one of the other 7 charter members of the AFL, but that would make way too much sense.  The Bills Equipment Mgr's don't seem to understand that NFL regulations allow all teams to wear their alternate uniform set twice per season, not just once.

As for the Chargers, I don't' believe that anything they do now or in their upcoming seasons is gonna help them acquire a new LA identity or help them build a new fan-base in LA.

The Chargers threw away a fan-base that was 56 years in the making and the NFL allowed this to happen.  The late Pete Rozelle never would have let that occur without a big fight.  Two teams in LA is madness!  If these billionaire owners are really gonna attempt to strip Jerry Jones of his Dallas ownership (as has been in the news these past few days) they need to do the very same with Dean Spanos and return that team to SD where they belong. 

56 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

With the Bills ridiculously choosing to wear all-white they should wear the all-white throwbacks since the game is against one of the other 7 charter members of the AFL, but that would make way too much sense.  The Bills Equipment Mgr's don't seem to understand that NFL regulations allow all teams to wear their alternate uniform set twice per season, not just once.

The Bills are wearing the white throwbacks twice this year. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

2 hours ago, goforbroke said:

The Bills are wearing the white throwbacks twice this year. 

For which game ... another home game?

Since they're based off the 1965 away uniforms I'd like to see them worn for a road game against one of the other 7 AFL charter teams, or even at Miami who came in 1966, but the Dolphins will most likely be in white jerseys for that particular game.

Not counting AFL-50 Legacy in 2009, I don't remember the Bills wearing throwbacks on the road since the game at JAX in Sept 2005, but that was the home version throwback. Since changing it to the all-white away version in 2012 they've only worn the throwbacks once each season, and always at home.  

Archived