Little Big League: What if Brandiose Designed the MLB? (Baltimore posted 2/7)

Bruins

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Nice Idea. Though I think the Re-Brandriosing of MLB would replace the old name entirely with a whole new two-word flourish. Examples (and feel free to use, if you like):

Toronto Double-Doubles

Seattle Voodoo Chiles

Washington Foggy Bottoms

Cincinnati Five-Ways

Boston Green Monstahs or Whoopie Pies

Oakland Hella Cats

Alright! So the Mets are up, although i didn't go the Amazin' route. Here's my would-be statement from Brandiose:

'(My) main approach for the Mets was to give them a more tangible identity. So (I) ended up reaching deep into New York's brilliant history, focusing on the construction and early days of their extensive, historic subway system. Now renamed the Long Island Metropolitans, the Mets color status has been altered to better fit with their new identity. Charcoal contrasted by stark white now takes center stage, reflecting an all-business mentality with vibrant blue and orange providing a burst of energy and heart. The main logo takes on the shape of the Brooklyn Superbas 1910 logo, the first MLB team to play baseball in the great state of New York, and features the Metropolitans new mascot Maxwell, a turn of the century era train conductor, along with simplified elevated subway tracks taking the place of the bridge. The new font used throughout the logo set is early 1900s style art deco helping further to embody New York a century ago. Lastly, a logo resembling a subway sign worn on the back of every jersey, directing towards Queens, the site of Citi Field, features the years the Mets have won either the World Series or N.L. Pennant. In essence, the Metropolitans new look signifies the history of New York, the kind of hard work it was built on, and an identity Mets fans can gather behind.'

0GMVHWz.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

On 5/8/2017 at 0:29 PM, ScreamingViking said:

Wow. Nice Idea. Though I think the Re-Brandriosing of MLB would replace the old name entirely with a whole new two-word flourish. Examples (and feel free to use, if you like):

Toronto Double-Doubles

Seattle Voodoo Chiles

Washington Foggy Bottoms

Cincinnati Five-Ways

Oakland Hella Cats

I love all of these! I might not do all of them, but i will definitely draw from here a few times.

On 5/8/2017 at 5:14 PM, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Can't wait to see Paul and Minnie bashing each other with bats

Sibling rivalry, Brandiose style!

On 5/9/2017 at 11:00 PM, coco1997 said:

This is absolutely brilliant! Love everything about it!

Thank you so much! Also, I'm going to keep the Hitmen on hold for right now and keep brainstorming it, just having some trouble sparking it.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

On 5/8/2017 at 11:29 AM, ScreamingViking said:

Toronto Double-Doubles

Seattle Voodoo Chiles

Washington Foggy Bottoms

Cincinnati Five-Ways

Oakland Hella Cats

These sound cool, but I'm curious what the relevance of some of the new names is. The Boston one is obvious, but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the others. 

8 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

These sound cool, but I'm curious what the relevance of some of the new names is. The Boston one is obvious, but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the others. 

Obviously the Monstahs could be a perfect Brandiose brand and while I agree i probably wouldn't try to flesh out all of them, I can easily see Foggy Bottoms as a brand, and also Five-Ways and possibly Double-Doubles as a one-off type food theme like they did with the Green Chile Cheeseburgers.

Lz5f6vZ.png

2 minutes ago, Bruins said:

Obviously the Monstahs could be a perfect Brandiose brand and while I agree i probably wouldn't try to flesh out all of them, I can easily see Foggy Bottoms as a brand, and also Five-Ways and possibly Double-Doubles as a one-off type food theme like they did with the Green Chile Cheeseburgers.

I'm not saying the names don't sound fun or that you shouldn't use them, I'm just trying to figure out how they relate to the original team identities, if at all. South Side Hitmen, for instance, makes sense because it was a nickname the team enjoyed at one point in their history. 

4 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I'm not saying the names don't sound fun or that you shouldn't use them, I'm just trying to figure out how they relate to the original team identities, if at all. South Side Hitmen, for instance, makes sense because it was a nickname the team enjoyed at one point in their history. 

I agree with you with that, and I am trying to keep some relation between a new name and the real one. ScreamingViking did say though that he would completely replace the old name, so he wasn't coming at it from that view.

Lz5f6vZ.png

Next up, the Reds rebranded as part of their old nickname, the Cincinnati Red Machine! Here's the (un)official statement:

'For the Red Machine (I) wanted to give them a fun, mechanical theme so (I) decided to create an identity centered around red gears, which is the new symbol of Cincinnati baseball. (I) also wanted to put an important meaning behind the machine in the middle of the new primary roundel, which is in the 9 gears. The 4 gears with the smaller, hollow white gear in the middle, the 3 with the solid white gear in the middle, and the 2 with the small, white circle represent the Infield, Outfield, and Pitcher and Catcher, respectively, all connected as a team. This is also represented in the on-field cap logos, which are different with each position, different gears all working towards the same goal. Caps also now feature player numbers on the back, so they can now be bought like player jerseys with the corresponding number and cap logo. More so throughout the design the whimsical, mechanical theme is featured, specifically in the alternate cap logo and new mascot, RedBot.'

NIO58GK.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

These ideas honestly just keep getting better and better. I was actually going to suggest using that name for Cincinnati, and I love that you went with a mechanical/industrial theme. Just brilliant.

Just a suggestion, maybe think about updating the thread title every time you add a new team? That might get you more feedback.

Also, upon searching "MLB team nicknames" on Wikipedia, I found that the 2013 Braves apparently earned the nickname the "Peach Cobblers," which would definitely make for an interesting identity and also get you away from the potentially offensive Native American theme.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:42 PM, coco1997 said:

Voodoo Chiles because Jimi Hendrix was from Seattle, and Five Ways because that's a way to serve Cincinnati-style chili (Cincy-style chili, spaghetti, cheese, beans, onions).

Hahahaah that peanut logo is awesome. Well done. 

Will the Phillies be the fightin Phils? It's their nickname in real life, they just gave it to their AA team, reading. (My hometown club)

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Everything you've done thus far is amazing. The A's (my team) look amazing, the Mets was adventurous and risky and it worked, and the Reds (sorry, Red Machine) is great in a vacuum while having nothing to do with the modern Reds (which is kind of the whole thing at Brandiose). But:

Cincinnati looks a little commie. Especially for a team that literally changed their name to avoid issues during the Red Scare (Go Cincinnati Redlegs!), I can't imagine even Brandiose putting them in red and white and covering the uniforms with gears.

I love that hat idea, though.

On 5/13/2017 at 2:52 PM, coco1997 said:

These ideas honestly just keep getting better and better. I was actually going to suggest using that name for Cincinnati, and I love that you went with a mechanical/industrial theme. Just brilliant.

Just a suggestion, maybe think about updating the thread title every time you add a new team? That might get you more feedback.

Also, upon searching "MLB team nicknames" on Wikipedia, I found that the 2013 Braves apparently earned the nickname the "Peach Cobblers," which would definitely make for an interesting identity and also get you away from the potentially offensive Native American theme.

29 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Is "New York Bronx Bombers" too obvious?

Thank you, Really awesome to hear that! Working on ideas for Peach Clobbers now, i really like the imagery that comes with that. I feel bad for not having taken one of your suggestions yet too.

And no it's not, that's one of the next teams on my agenda, and I was thinking of either doing Bombers/Bronx Bombers or sticking with some form of the Yankees name and going all-out patriotic Uncle Sam style. I'll probably get to them after the Braves.

18 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Hahahaah that peanut logo is awesome. Well done. 

Will the Phillies be the fightin Phils? It's their nickname in real life, they just gave it to their AA team, reading. (My hometown club)

Thanks! Felt like the Brandiose thing to do :P. TBH, probably not. I like the name, but since its already in use I'll probably go another direction.

8 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

Everything you've done thus far is amazing. The A's (my team) look amazing, the Mets was adventurous and risky and it worked, and the Reds (sorry, Red Machine) is great in a vacuum while having nothing to do with the modern Reds (which is kind of the whole thing at Brandiose). But:

Cincinnati looks a little commie. Especially for a team that literally changed their name to avoid issues during the Red Scare (Go Cincinnati Redlegs!), I can't imagine even Brandiose putting them in red and white and covering the uniforms with gears.

I love that hat idea, though.

Wow, Thank you so much!

Yikes. Well, that's unfortunate. Not quite sure what to do with that, really don't want to start them over from scratch, anything you think would help with it?

Thanks!

So right now, my plan is to start with about 8 or 10 teams, then go back and make uniforms and special night concepts for some of those clubs, so I'd love to hear any ideas for that stage too! Thanks for all the great feedback, guys!

Lz5f6vZ.png

3 minutes ago, Bruins said:

Yikes. Well, that's unfortunate. Not quite sure what to do with that, really don't want to start them over from scratch, anything you think would help with it?

If you hadn't said that thing about not wanting to start over from scratch, I would have suggested doing something with trains. The railroad factors into Cincinnati's history in a big way, they're machines, they're big, they can be red...

But since you did say that... Hmm. Maybe an extra color would help? I can't think of anything that wouldn't either dilute the point of the concept or look more commie. I know this isn't constructive, but I also don't know how to be more constructive. I think an extra color is the best move, despite the diluted Red Machine message.

Archived