Logos that Sell the Sport rather than the Nickname

Pharos04

On 5/6/2017 at 8:28 AM, Gothamite said:

True enough, but I'm of the opinion that they should have rebranded when they moved from New Jersey.  The uniform overhaul was excellent, hampered only by holding on to the dumb name. 

Nets really isn't so bad when you know they could have became the Swamp Dragons at one time.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

I can't imagine how is one going to sketch a Laker ( maybe a sailor or a anchor maybe?)

A laker is a type of cargo ship with a distinctive shape. I could easily see someone making a logo out of it:

FY2xsRA.jpg

For both the Lakers and Clippers, a shipping theme makes perfect sense because LA has a significant maritime industry.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

11 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The NBA and its affiliates have been rife with this annoying trend for decades.

5gzur7f6x09cv61jt16smhopl.gif21956712016.gifeigv3ra8cjkojrywrgcvy6z29.gif520794652014.gif504330272014.gif

651387642018.gif601425202017.gifyhy1gplr3qitph7ebhf2.gif7frsqah8wf3whkikgo4n.gif69jyheiaiebbm0t5mp3v4xpzl.gif

Throw in the Pistons as well.

Out of all these logos, the one that upsets me the most is the Rockets. The logo that is most fondly remembered is easily one of their worst, just a yellow basketball in a circular-type shape. If they didn't win two championships with that logo it wouldn't be remembered fondly.

I would exclude the Wizards though because I think they tastefully incorporated the Washington Monument in their logo (although I guess it still has nothing to do with wizards).

NSFCvyu.png

On 5/7/2017 at 0:29 AM, WavePunter said:

That's mainly because the NBA has a rule that one official logo must contain a basketball.. A lot of teams just work it into the primary with the full team name and get it all taken care of in one fell swoop 

Which is terrible.  The Thunder, Lakers, Clippers (old and new), and Pistons have the worst logos in basketball because you could change the words and it would have no effect.  OKC could say Barons instead of Thunder, no effect.  LAL could say Actors and it wouldn't matter.  LAC could says Red Headed Step Children and it'd still work and Detroit's could say Mechanics and it still would fit.  The Warriors logo goes right in with them.  It could be the Programmers and it'd be fine.  To me that is terrible. Imagine if the Heat were the Miami Beaches (and they were when Lebron and DWade were there LOL).  The logo wouldn't work.  It has to be unique to the name or to me it sucks.

That's why I like Johnny Canuck over the rink and the swinging friar for the Padres.  Since the Pistons are my team it really sucks to see they may go to some combo of old logo with current font.  VOMIT!

10 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

Throw in the Pistons as well.

Out of all these logos, the one that upsets me the most is the Rockets. The logo that is most fondly remembered is easily one of their worst, just a yellow basketball in a circular-type shape. If they didn't win two championships with that logo it wouldn't be remembered fondly.

I would exclude the Wizards though because I think they tastefully incorporated the Washington Monument in their logo (although I guess it still has nothing to do with wizards).

In all fairness, while I hate that Rocket logo, the shape is supposed to be showing the crescent moon which is in space which is where rockets go, so there is some connection there.

I see the abstract rocket too, like a pod that shoots off from a rocket? The wordmark messes it all up though.

As for the Wizards, the monument doubles as a wand and like the star is the magic or whatever coming from the wand. Still a bit of a reach for a team called the Wizards. 

Archived