Primary Logos That Are Rarely Used

sportsfan0518

The Cleveland Cavaliers got me thinking about their primary logo. Although it is still officially the maroon ball logo, it is rarely used on TV, or on Cavs promotions and merchandise. If I did not know any better, I would have thought that the "C" logo is the Cavs primary logo or the "C with the sword" is the primary logo.

What is listed as the primary:

Image result for cavaliers logo

What is usually used as the primary:

Image result for cavaliers logoImage result for cavaliers logo

The Spurs are another example of this. I rarely see the spelled out San Antonio Spurs logo, and always see the "Spur" logo associated with the team.

What is listed as the primary:

Image result for spurs

What is usually used as the primary:

Image result for spurs

These two aren't just the only examples, and I was curious if we could come up with more of them. Not just in the NBA, but in all pro and college sports in general.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

This logo is now obsolete since they just unveiled their new marks today, but it was (thankfully) only used sparingly during its nearly 15 years as the official primary. Good riddance that it'll officially be gone, even though it was hardly used, and intentionally so, by the team.

IMG_3983.thumb.PNG.a1c16293a6353bf00d0435fe22eab27e.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The f-ing bloody stupid Nets, who have this nice primary logo:

930_brooklyn-nets-partial-2013.gif.ab1d6d03fbb57e84364909e9a5e04998.gif

...but who insist on using a shlocky logo that I don't even want to reproduce here, most egregiously at centre court.  There needs to be a league rule forcing every team to put its primary logo on its court.  The Nets' floor is embarrassing.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

9 hours ago, upperV03 said:

This logo is now obsolete since they just unveiled their new marks today, but it was (thankfully) only used sparingly during its nearly 15 years as the official primary. Good riddance that it'll officially be gone, even though it was hardly used, and intentionally so, by the team.

IMG_3983.thumb.PNG.a1c16293a6353bf00d0435fe22eab27e.PNG

I've always hated that parallelogram logo.  The pinwheel would have looked better in a roundel, even before roundels became a big thing.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

...but who insist on using a shlocky logo that I don't even want to reproduce here, most egregiously at centre court.  There needs to be a league rule forcing every team to put its primary logo on its court.  The Nets' floor is embarrassing.

I think everyone knew from the beginning the Nets were going to emphasize "Brooklyn" rather than "Nets". Too much borough pride.

9168_atlanta_hawks-primary-2016.png

This is officially the Hawks primary logo, but you rarely see it. The team uses the bird-circle by itself in its web heading and most brand visuals across all platforms. Obviously they found out pretty quick that the red-white primary didn't go well with the tri-color scheme (it's honestly a bad brand identity overall). 

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Not to nitpick, but their actual primary has the word "Brooklyn" beneath it

IMG_0891.PNG

My first day with the Rays, they sent me a pocket style guide and the logo with the diamond had this description

ADDITIONAL CLUB MARKS

The diamond Rays logo is to be used in very limited instances and

only with consent from the Tampa Bay Rays. This mark should

never be used as a primary logo on any creative.

So

18 minutes ago, raysox said:

My first day with the Rays, they sent me a pocket style guide and the logo with the diamond had this description

ADDITIONAL CLUB MARKS

The diamond Rays logo is to be used in very limited instances and

only with consent from the Tampa Bay Rays. This mark should

never be used as a primary logo on any creative.

So

I wonder why this is the case.

Allow me to predict . . . 

blazersgloballogo.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

17 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Some secondary logos are better and easier to use than the primary, but there's also some instances where they aren't.

. . . and this seems to occur most often in the NBA because the primaries include the city/state name and nickname.

According to the mothership, the Clippers logo is the only primary without both . . . and it includes an LA as part of the LAC "basketball court"* logo.

* -- :lol::lol::lol:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If you want to be technical, then...

59122a06da716_rams2.png.e39c93c0781d21b0002ee7ebe669094f.png

The only time this will ever be used again is on the jerseys - in all merchandising, this will be the logo:

rams.png.b53472461e9d2addb1c0b7638fe553bd.png

(I went with a navy background so that way you can see the white outline on the updated logo)

ExJworW.png

43 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

If you want to be technical, then...

59122a06da716_rams2.png.e39c93c0781d21b0002ee7ebe669094f.png

The only time this will ever be used again is on the jerseys - in all merchandising, this will be the logo:

rams.png.b53472461e9d2addb1c0b7638fe553bd.png

(I went with a navy background so that way you can see the white outline on the updated logo)

That's not quite it - the new one has an extra (pointless) outline.  Ignore the flag background:

Sb8Hrvsc.jpg

4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Not to nitpick, but their actual primary has the word "Brooklyn" beneath it

IMG_0891.PNG

OK, true.  But there are plenty of applications in which just the shield is used without the awkward "Brooklyn" -- I should know, because I bought several hats, jackets, and shirts that have that logo.   Also, the shield alone could be at centre court, just as the 76ers' court used to have their logo without the city name.

None

Their new court uses just the "76", which is a downgrade; but the point is that it still isn't the full primary logo with the city name.

050317_SixersCourt_AP

(To be honest, I'd like to see a rule that would require the Sixers to go back to their previous floor, and the Nets to use their shield.  The rule should require the primary logo at centre court, allowing for the removal of the city name.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived