Portland Trail Blazers new logo

Gothamite

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Now it just looks like a bird cleaning itself...

ptbp-logo.png.7e7350b98ee2d5a9fcd7cce5660490f1.png

edit: this one's a bonus because the whole thing forms a p, but the white lines could be a lowercase r which stands for ripcity - the beloved nickname for Portland. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

ptbp-logo.png.7e7350b98ee2d5a9fcd7cce5660490f1.png

edit: this one's a bonus because the whole thing forms a p, but the white lines could be a lowercase r which stands for ripcity - the beloved nickname for Portland. 

Reminds me of the Patreon logo

Stx7XE1.png

9 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Still not really a fan of the tail on the 'T' in "PORTLAND" but I do like how the only letters with the tails are the 'P', 'T', and 'B', the team's initials. I think it would've been better if the tails were only on the first letters of each word, but I'm fine with it as is. The wordmarks look surprisingly good on uniforms, at least from the mockups I've worked up and the mockups you posted.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

10 hours ago, sayahh said:

Much better. Was the previous font always meant to be a placeholder?

No, the previous font is still part of the official "Global mark" logo. The stacked wordmark will never be used together with the pinwheel in a logo. The stacked wordmark will only be used by itself in places where only text is required in marketing or whatever.

10 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Love it!

Come on Rockets! Your move! PLEASE do something.  I'll take even a subtle change at this point but prefer a full rebrand. 

Unfortunately, I can 100% confirm that the Rox aren't making any changes this offseason. Let's hope that they do so soon, though. They're in need of a change for sure.

3 hours ago, Conrad. said:

No, the previous font is still part of the official "Global mark" logo. The stacked wordmark will never be used together with the pinwheel in a logo. The stacked wordmark will only be used by itself in places where only text is required in marketing or whatever.

Unfortunately, I can 100% confirm that the Rox aren't making any changes this offseason. Let's hope that they do so soon, though. They're in need of a change for sure.

Dagnammit. And the current black alt's a good place to start. Just add mustard, hold the silver and boom, new Rockets rebrand. 

Re: Rip City

IS THERE SERIOUSLY NOTHING FROM THE '77 CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM YOU COULD USE INSTEAD?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

23 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Re: Rip City

IS THERE SERIOUSLY NOTHING FROM THE '77 CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM YOU COULD USE INSTEAD?!

Bill Walton's wandering thoughts don't fit on a jersey.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Funny enough, the classic Blazers sash template was adopted for the season immediately after they won their first (and so far only) title.

Heck, it's why I sometimes wish the team would modernize these bad boys as an alternate (the Sixers have already updated their look that period, why not the Blazers?).

GROSS.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:23 PM, Gothamite said:

I was thinking more in terms of this, but that one's good too.

corrected_trailblazers_logo.png

That's why I really think the Trailblazers nailed it on their first try with this logo. I love it and you can see hints of a "b" (and I guess backwards "p"). Your suggestion is probably the logical modern version of it, in a sense that it would be easier to slap that one on merchandise without the open white space of this one.

tb.jpg

This shirt is a good example of the Blazers' new secondary colors being used for merchandising purposes:

IMG_4062.thumb.JPG.9aeda0e1868d1978788a9acc0f79f7b5.JPG

The shirt was commissioned by the Blazers to be rolled out as a part of their updated brand identity, and it was designed by local artist/designer Draplin Design Co. and local brand Hipster Wannabe. I have a feeling the secondary colors were introduced mainly for merchandising purposes, and possibly promotional/social media material as well. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were used as small accents on the alternate uniforms. But anyways, they look pretty good on this shirt, and they accent the primary red/white/black scheme very nicely. I might even have to swing by the team store and pick one of the shirts up.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

But secondary colors don't include orange. I doubt officially-commissioned artwork are limited to the team's official colors palette.

11 minutes ago, sayahh said:

But secondary colors don't include orange. I doubt officially-commissioned artwork are limited to the team's official colors palette.

It's not orange, whatever filter or effect they used on that picture skewed the color.

Screenshot_20170512-140725.png

14 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Yeah, the orange-ish hue looks like a by-product of the photo effects more than anything. The colors in the picture that @KGeeX5 posted are skewed too, and the filter is even more obvious in that one. Regardless of what color that part actually is, it's pretty clear that the shirt uses their new secondary gray colors, and possibly the darker red as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

This shirt is a good example of the Blazers' new secondary colors being used for merchandising purposes:

IMG_4062.thumb.JPG.9aeda0e1868d1978788a9acc0f79f7b5.JPG

The shirt was commissioned by the Blazers to be rolled out as a part of their updated brand identity, and it was designed by local artist/designer Draplin Design Co. and local brand Hipster Wannabe. I have a feeling the secondary colors were introduced mainly for merchandising purposes, and possibly promotional/social media material as well. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were used as small accents on the alternate uniforms. But anyways, they look pretty good on this shirt, and they accent the primary red/white/black scheme very nicely. I might even have to swing by the team store and pick one of the shirts up.

would love to have that in just black and white.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 5/9/2017 at 4:23 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Wasn't it coined by said announcer during a loss? Hardly stuff worth memorializing. 

I think it's more than a few others who don't get it. Like @McCarthy I only heard of it when the Blazers started wearing it. 

Meanshile I knew Portland was the Rose City for considerably longer. So it seems like one of those monikers is more widely known (and thus more appropriate to a jersey you're selling the world over) than the other. 

That's what I mean when I say manufactured. "Rose City," "Motor City," and "the Windy City" are all names that have endured for decades, if not centuries. "Rip City" was coined by someone associated with the team, for the team. 

A (very unscientific) sample size indicates that it's not well known outside of Portland. 

And agajn. I'm only harping on this because the city of Portland has a legitimately authentic nickname in the form of "Rose City" they passed over for something not nearly as well known.

Personally, I think that’s what makes it more authentic and compelling. Rose City feels more mainstream market, like Motor City or Windy City, both of which are names that outsiders use, but are very polarizing to locals. Rose City is also in heavy use with the city’s other teams, which dilutes its potential value to the Blazers. Rip City, on the other hand, is unique, will never be adopted by anyone else, and is heavily supported by the target: locals and Blazers fans. “Widely known” is not an objective here.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Rip City, on the other hand, is unique, will never be adopted by anyone else

Why should it be? It memorialises a loss. 

If I'm in Portland? I just might buy a "Rose City" Blazers t-shirt. I'm not buying a "Rip City" shirt though. One's an authentic nickname for the city, the other was churned out by the team's PR folks, and doesn't even have a charming backstory to redeem itself.

Archived