Portland Trail Blazers new logo

Gothamite

1 hour ago, Webfooter said:

So because you and a few others don't get a city or region-specific nickname, it's not fit to be on a jersey?  

Did you read the part where I said I thought it was stupid that Detroit wears Motor City on an alternate? That is most decidedly a more famous moniker and I don't think they should wear it on a jersey either. I don't think any nickname well-known or not is fit for a jersey. The Pelicans NOLA jerseys - bad. Hawks ATL jerseys - bad. Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts alternates - bad. If the Cleveland Indians ever tried to wear a jersey that said "Tribe" that would be bad. 

Now, I also don't get the Rip City nickname and it wasn't until a few years ago that I ever heard or saw it used, which admittedly could be my fault, but I lived in Seattle, I've paid attention to the NBA most of the time, I know who Terry Porter and Kevin Duckworth are, I've visited Portland, I knew some Blazers fans, but I had never heard about it until very recently which only compounds the badness of wearing it on an official team uniform. I say all of this as a person who if someone put a gun to my head and made me cheer for an NBA team the very short list would include the Blazers. 

That's just plain stupid.

Rational. Allow me to be perfectly candid - "Rip City" is one of the dumber nicknames I've ever heard, the origin story confirmed that, and remember that between me and you I'm the one who's impartial here. 

I wouldn't want my team to wear that on a jersey. 

When the Blazers and their fans wear it, it's an acknowledgement of the history and connection between the team and the city.

Great for you guys. Wear it on a tshirt. Every sports city's got nicknames so you're not special in that regard. The actual team's uniforms should say Portland or Blazers. City and/or team nicknames don't belong on official team uniforms. Dumb ones really don't belong on team uniforms. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

I don't mean to sound dense, but does it really matter whether non-Blazers fans know the nickname and the reasoning behind it? Portlanders, Oregonians, and most importantly Blazers fans, from Portland and beyond, know and love the "Rip City" monicker and the history behind it. Blazers fans across the country and globe are aware of what it means, and that's the primary target of the organization. You say they're "selling the world over" on it, but they really aren't. Like @Webfooter said, when fans and the team wear it, it's an acknowledgement of the history and connection between the team, it's fan base, and the city of Portland. The team only wears the uniforms at home in front of their fans (with the exception being a couple of road games a few seasons ago), and that's because the connection between the two is what makes Portland "Rip City" in the context of basketball.

Again, is it really something Blazers fans should immortalize? The nickname was coined in a loss AND is less well known than the "Rose City" moniker.

When you're creating a global brand you want something that's more than niche. Your audience/customer base isn't just Trailblazers fans. It's anyone who might want to buy a jersey because it looks cool. "Looking cool" is subjective, but I have to think that "Rip City" is going to be more confusing than charmingly local. 

I would rather all teams not use city nicknames on their jerseys but if the Blazers must? "Rose City" hits the perfect balance between charmingly local and mainstream. 

EDIT- either that or Portlandia :P

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

I don't mean to sound dense, but does it really matter whether non-Blazers fans know the nickname and the reasoning behind it? Portlanders, Oregonians, and most importantly Blazers fans, from Portland and beyond, know and love the "Rip City" monicker and the history behind it. Blazers fans across the country and globe are aware of what it means, and that's the primary target of the organization. You say they're "selling the world over" on it, but they really aren't. Like @Webfooter said, when fans and the team wear it, it's an acknowledgement of the history and connection between the team, it's fan base, and the city of Portland. The team only wears the uniforms at home in front of their fans (with the exception being a couple of road games a few seasons ago), and that's because the connection between the two is what makes Portland "Rip City" in the context of basketball.

It could.  When the New Orleans Hornets decided they wanted to change their name changed their name and gave up their history so the Bobcats could survive, there was a lot of talk around here of New Orleans Krewe (Or was it "Krewe of New Orleans"?) or New Orleans Rugerou (spelling).  The former are the people the pick up all the beads and stuff after Mardi Gras parades and the later is some sort of legendary big-foot-like creature or something.  A lot of people thought those were great names.  But I recall someone suggesting that they were "too local."  I, for one, had heard of neither and felt they were too local.  Brewers and Steelers are locally-appropriate, but most Americans understand those.

I kinda think it's a little "too local" and, therefore, it kinda matters.  The team (as is the case for all NBA teams) is on a national stage.  They probably should not have an inside joke on their uniform.  

I was more aware of Rip City than a couple others (though not of the specific story) but given how unknown it is outside of Oregon, I'd argue it's "too local."  Of course, even if it was not too local, I repeat myself and a couple of others; I also don't like Motor City, etc., so that's not even the issue for me.  If Rip City resonates with the fan base, then I'd bee cool visiting Portland, going to a game, and seeing 10,000 t-shirts.  I don't think it works for a uniform, mainly because it's too informal...a couple extra negative points for being "too local."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, Webfooter said:

It's supposed to represent the 5 members of each team in motion on a court.  I never got that until I finally read an interview with the people who helped design the initial logo.

I always looked at it as a forestry's cutting blade.  

New look is simpler & I think they've lost some nuance with it.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

15 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Why do only the Blazers use "Rip City"? If it's a nickname for Portland, why have the Winterhawks, Beavers, or any other team in Portland ever used it?

It might just be a Blazers only thing.

17 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Why do only the Blazers use "Rip City"? If it's a nickname for Portland, why have the Winterhawks, Beavers, or any other team in Portland ever used it?

It's exclusive to the Blazers. I've already explained it a little bit, but this article goes into more detail on it.

https://www.google.com/amp/ripcityproject.com/2014/09/08/why-portland-is-called-rip-city-portland-trail-blazers/amp/

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

It might just be a Blazers only thing.

yes. not only is it unique to Portland but its also ownable for the Blazers. it's sticky; it has some "punch" to it. it actually sounds cool. 

my take on Rip vs Rose is ill take Rip City any day. probably because i have a bad connotation with "the city of Roses" aka, Richmond, Indiana. oh, and there are many other cities that take on that monikor https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_City

if you're looking for a tagline or phrase for branding purposes, Rip City is the clear winner. its got to have a somewhat masculine and catchy sound to it. even in Portland, basketball is still a game that comes from the streets. its urban, its a game that embraces pop culture better than the others. its youthful. aint nobody showin' up to the court with "Rose" on the front of a jersey, unless a bunch of old white people make it so (which is what nearly happened in Indiana with a name change for the HS from Red Devils to Roses)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

13 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

yes. not only is it unique to Portland but its also ownable for the Blazers. it's sticky; it has some "punch" to it. it actually sounds cool. 

my take on Rip vs Rose is ill take Rip City any day. probably because i have a bad connotation with "the city of Roses" aka, Richmond, Indiana. oh, and there are many other cities that take on that monikor https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_City

if you're looking for a tagline or phrase for branding purposes, Rip City is the clear winner. its got to have a somewhat masculine and catchy sound to it. even in Portland, basketball is still a game that comes from the streets. its urban, its a game that embraces pop culture better than the others. its youthful. aint nobody showin' up to the court with "Rose" on the front of a jersey, unless a bunch of old white people make it so (which is what nearly happened in Indiana with a name change for the HS from Red Devils to Roses)

The nickname "Rip City" was coined by an announcer during a loss. In the 70s. There's nothing "street" or "youthful" about it. And "sticky"? You need to dial the marketing talk down about 30%, lest you eventually devolve to just typing disjointed words.

It's been around for a long time up here that it's pretty much second nature. There are always going to be people who don't like it or don't exactly understand it, but hey... to each their own.

I could also say the same about the Raptors and the 'We the North' marketing there.

Why does every iteration of this logo change the orientation of the colors? Red was on the bottom, then it was on top, then it was on the bottom, now it's on top again. Seems they can't decide. I also think they should have restored the original orientation. They have some good marketing speak for the 45 degree angle, but I always liked when the pinwheel looked like a "b." 

That said, this is a good update and I think it's a pretty solid logo.

My take on rip city is this; it's the flippin' National Basketball Association - the highest level of basketball on the entire planet - and quirky nicknames (as well as three-letter scoreboard/airport abbreviations) don't belong at such a professional level on a jersey. They belong in team lore, on T-shirts, other clothing, programs, miscellaneous "swag", and desperate Single-A baseball team uniforms. Call me a stickler, but the NBA should be above putting them on jerseys. "Portland" and "Blazers" suits just fine.

Besides, the story behind "rip city" is pretty dumb anyways. An announcer said it during a loss? So the Jazz could put "SWAT LAKE CITY" on a jersey because I'm pretty sure Bolerjack coined it after a Gobert and Favors block clinic during what I'm pretty sure was still a loss? Mmkay.  

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Raptors haven't slapped that on a game jersey.

If the Raptors started wearing a jersey that said "The North" that would be worse even than Charlotte's black sleeved Buzz City uniforms and those were just a smidge worse than Rip City. 

IMG_1727.JPG.b75fab77180f750ab6ec9d202af7093e.JPG

that, folks, is why we can't allow nicknames on jerseys. Some teams can't be trusted to not wear stupid :censored: like this. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, Webfooter said:

So because you and a few others don't get a city or region-specific nickname, it's not fit to be on a jersey?

No, the fact that it's a nickname for the city is why it's not fit to be on a jersey.   

"The Big Apple" is a fine nickname for Gotham (as is "Gotham"), but I don't want to see it on a jersey either.  Same for Stumptown, Oaktown, the Olde Towne, the Cream City, the Motor City, the City by the Bay, the City of Big Shoulders, any of the various Queen Cities, or any number of other perfectly fine and charming nicknames that look similarly stupid when used in place of a city's actual name.  

I don't even like "Golden State" and am glad its days are numbered.  

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There's no P, and never has been.

The bottom part of the pinwheel is totally a P! I'm not crazy. This isn't some hidden beaver situation. I'm not crazy. 

26 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No, the fact that it's a nickname for the city is why it's not fit to be on a jersey.   

"The Big Apple" is a fine nickname for Gotham (as is "Gotham"), but I don't want to see it on a jersey either.  Same for Stumptown, Oaktown, the Olde Towne, the Cream City, the Motor City, the City by the Bay, the City of Big Shoulders, any of the various Queen Cities, or any number of other perfectly fine and charming nicknames that look similarly stupid when used in place of a city's actual name.  

I don't even like "Golden State" and am glad its days are numbered.  

I wouldn't be so sure about "Golden State." 

Archived