Sign in to follow this  
upperV03

Portland Trail Blazers 2017/18 (Courts posted 5/12

Recommended Posts

upperV03    2,186

With the Blazers releasing their new logos yesterday, I figured I'd whip up some uniform concepts for what I think we might end up seeing. I have the primary home and road uniforms finished, so I'll start by showing you guys those. They're pretty similar to the current uniforms, but with some small tweaks. Both uniforms now feature v-neck collars, and the collar and armhole trim is now solid red on both jerseys. The wordmarks and numbers feature the updated typeface, and they're one color instead of being outlined. The signature uniform stripes now have space in between them to be more consistent with the lines of the pinwheel logo. Both uniforms feature a red tag on the waistband of the shorts with the ripcity logo inside. Lastly, I used OHSU for the ad on the jerseys, but they've yet to formally announce one. It's just what I'd like to see. I'm currently working on the alternate uniforms, so hopefully I'll have those posted in the coming days.

BlazersPrimary.thumb.png.7073c984802af18f81b322cc73b60476.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lbj273    47

These are fantastic, nice clean update to the Blazers which keeps their core identity the same, just cleans it up in the same way the logo update went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hoopladawg87    393

These look fantastic! Really like the slight tweak to the striping you referenced in the other thread, and the belt buckle logo is the perfect home for the Rip City alternate logo.

 

Even the new wordmarks look better than I expected, though the number 0 looks disproportionately elongated to me. The only other thing I'd really consider changing would be the logo on the home shorts -- after seeing how the red and white pinwheel looks on the black background of the away shorts, I think a red and black pinwheel would look better on the white background of the home shorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upperV03    2,186

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you all seem to like the slight tweaks I made.

 

47 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

These look fantastic! Really like the slight tweak to the striping you referenced in the other thread, and the belt buckle logo is the perfect home for the Rip City alternate logo.

 

Even the new wordmarks look better than I expected, though the number 0 looks disproportionately elongated to me. The only other thing I'd really consider changing would be the logo on the home shorts -- after seeing how the red and white pinwheel looks on the black background of the away shorts, I think a red and black pinwheel would look better on the white background of the home shorts.

You're definitely right about the number being disproportionately elongated, so I'll make sure to fix that. As far as the logo goes, I think you might be right about it looking better with a white background on the home uniform, but I just don't see them going that route. With their past sets they've opted to keep it consistent on each respective uniform rather than recoloring it, so I figured that'd be more realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upperV03    2,186

I ended up having more free time today than I initially expected, so I'm able to show you guys the alternates that I came up with. The home alternate carries over the "Rip City" theme, and it features a revamped striping pattern that's based on the lines from the new pinwheel logo as well as the signature diagonal jersey striping. The jersey features a red panel on each side, with the five lines from the pinwheel (you can only see four of them, but it's meant to be five) in the darker red from the secondary palette. A white diagonal line seperates the red panel from gray panels of the same style. The gray is the light gray from the secondary palette, while the lines from the pinwheel are white. The gray panels carry onto the shorts before a white diagonal line seperates them from black panels that feature the dark gray from the new secondary scheme. When the jersey is tucked in, the side panels are supposed to appear mainly as red and black seperated by white, simulating the striping from the regular home uniform. The road alternate is a complete departure from the current red uniform. Instead of featuring the diagonal striping, it features the same striping as the "Rip City" uniform except it's only on one side as a tribute to the '77 uniforms. The pinwheel-esque lines are white and red, respectively, on a black field to simulate how they appear in the actual logo. The jersey features a vertical "BLAZERS" wordmark as another tribute to the '77 uniforms. I'm really happy with the home alternate, and I like the red alternate as well, but I'm curious to see what others think about it.

BlazersAlternate.thumb.png.df9e7b95f1d1657e7342ec4c4bac9433.png

And while I'm at it, I fixed the elongated numbers (as pointed out by @Hoopladawg87), so here's an update to the primary uniforms as well:

BlazersPrimary.thumb.png.53e94ad2bf496b1255cf494472a4a01e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hoopladawg87    393

I'm a big fan of those Rip City alternates! Great usage of some of those new supporting colors while incorporating some elements of the pinwheel logo in the side panels. I've never been a fan of contrasting collar and armhole trim, but here I don't mind it because it seems to help balance all of the other elements you included.

 

I'm not really a fan of the red alternate. I was looking through some '70s-era pictures of their uniforms the other night while working on what was originally intended to be a vertical text Blazers concept, and the spatial relationship between the wordmark and the numerals really bothered me no matter how I tried to balance them....there ends up being too much blank space, one element or the other feels off center, or the proportions of the characters in each element conflict with one another. Not a bad design by any means, especially taking into account the other elements, but I think a horizontal 'PORTLAND' or 'rip city' wordmark would look much better. However, I definitely appreciate the rationale you provided for why you designed it this way and I'll be interested to see if Nike tries to find a way to incorporate the vertical text into one of the alternates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upperV03    2,186
6 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I'm a big fan of those Rip City alternates! Great usage of some of those new supporting colors while incorporating some elements of the pinwheel logo in the side panels. I've never been a fan of contrasting collar and armhole trim, but here I don't mind it because it seems to help balance all of the other elements you included.

 

I'm not really a fan of the red alternate. I was looking through some '70s-era pictures of their uniforms the other night while working on what was originally intended to be a vertical text Blazers concept, and the spatial relationship between the wordmark and the numerals really bothered me no matter how I tried to balance them....there ends up being too much blank space, one element or the other feels off center, or the proportions of the characters in each element conflict with one another. Not a bad design by any means, especially taking into account the other elements, but I think a horizontal 'PORTLAND' or 'rip city' wordmark would look much better. However, I definitely appreciate the rationale you provided for why you designed it this way and I'll be interested to see if Nike tries to find a way to incorporate the vertical text into one of the alternates.

Glad you like the Rip City alternates, I had a lot of fun coming up with that one. I think the new secondary colors work really well in that uniform just because of how subtly their worked into the striping pattern. Also, I'm glad you mentioned the contrasting collar and armhole trim because I'm not usually a fan of it either, yet I felt it was appropriatte, almost necessary, in-order for the uniform to look balanced and cohesive.

 

And regarding the red uniform, the vertical text is definitely a problematic element to work with, and I was expecting someone to make a comment similar to yours. Having said that, I've actually always felt that the '77 uniforms with the vertical text worked so well because of how deliberately unbalanced they were, and not just with regards to the wordmark and front numbers. Because of the striping only being on one side, I always thought it made sense to have the vertical text on the same side, leaving only a few elements (front number, armhole trim, and the shorts logo) on the other side of the uniform. To me I've always regarded it as something that doesn't seem to make sense in theory, yet it somehow works. I agree that it leaves a plethora of space on the side of the front number, but I think that space is mitigated a bit when the number is two digits rather than one. I considered going with a more traditional horizontal wordmark on the chest, but in the end I felt it visually contradicted the asymmetrical nature of the uniform, and I wanted to keep that as a tribute to the '77 uniforms. I may go back and experiment with a "Rip City" or "Portland" wordmark, but I think I'm pretty much set on keeping the text vertical, regardless of which wordmark I choose

 

I'm also working on a court design right now, and I should have that posted later today or tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upperV03    2,186

I decided I'd keep the red uniform as is, but I did tweak the wordmark to be a bit smaller (just so it'd be completely visible when the jersey's tucked in), and I changed the patch on the waistband from black to white. So here's the update to that:

BlazersAlternate.thumb.png.0b62ffbab1ac4e5f0664902043e65a90.png

And I also decided to design a new court, as well as an alternate court to go with the alternate uniforms. The main court is pretty similar to their current court, with the black out-of-bounds area and white "PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS" on each baseline. The Rip City logo is on the near sideline, and the new pinwheel is of course at center court. The main change is the return to white keys, just like the ones that were used at the Memorial Coliseum from 1988 to 1995. The half circles on top of the keys are red, as well as the out-of-bounds line. The rest of the lines on the court are black. Another change is to the wood pattern, which is now diagonal to follow with the pinwheel. It's also a slightly more golden color to ensure that the white keys have a stark contrast from the wood. The alternate court is the exact same as the regular court except for the out-of-bounds area. The Rip City logo adorns the baselines, as do the lines from the pinwheel. The lines are meant to match up with those from the side panels on the alternate red uniforms, as well as obviously the pinwheel logo, so they are red and white, corresponding with the colors of the Rip City logo. The alternate court would be used when the team wears the Rip City alternate uniforms, or if they were to ever wear the red alts at home. Let me know what you think!

BlazersCourt.png.779e20fd46d6f2ccbbd77e5703ff927e.png

BlazersAltCourt.png.4b8922bffbab95a63100d5eb355bf745.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sayahh    360

I never understood the waistband patch. I hated tramp stamps when it's on the butt.  Putting it in the middle of the waistband on the back side of the shorts is still unsightly but at least it allows for some team logo to appear on the back of the shorts somewhat tucked away. I can see it staying on the waistband (on the front only, back only or both) if it's just the logo without a contrasting background, but with a square background with a contrasting color to the rest of the uniform it just looks like an ad.  Maybe if works better if the entire waistband has the same color as the background of the waistband logo, but that will throw off the side stripe designs. *rant over*

 

TD;DR: please change the color of the background on the logo on the shorts' waistbands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upperV03    2,186
18 minutes ago, sayahh said:

I never understood the waistband patch. I hated tramp stamps when it's on the butt.  Putting it in the middle of the waistband on the back side of the shorts is still unsightly but at least it allows for some team logo to appear on the back of the shorts somewhat tucked away. I can see it staying on the waistband (on the front only, back only or both) if it's just the logo without a contrasting background, but with a square background with a contrasting color to the rest of the uniform it just looks like an ad.  Maybe if works better if the entire waistband has the same color as the background of the waistband logo, but that will throw off the side stripe designs. *rant over*

 

TD;DR: please change the color of the background on the logo on the shorts' waistbands.

I originally included the contrasting waistband patches because I thought they were necessary for color balance, and frankly because it seemed like a likely thing Nike would do, but you might be right about the uniforms looking better without them. Here's an update to both the primary and alternate sets, with the waistband patches as the same color as the shorts:

BlazersPrimary.thumb.png.5f1141b1f70179566fcefb5ec88e69e5.pngBlazersAlternate.thumb.png.b10764b1dcb8d81cfe5837e11ca1a397.png

I also made some slight adjustments to the alternate court, and I replaced the original image with the updated one. That can be seen above. But anyways, thanks for the input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing I like most about the alternate court you came up with is how practical it is. If teams were to use this kind of alternate court setup, only the borders need changed and not the whole court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
upperV03    2,186
33 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Playing around with your concepts (just for sh*** and giggles):

 

 

tr.png

trc.png

I considered going with diagonal text on the red alternate, but I felt it threw off the intentional assymetry that the vertical text running alongside the one-sided trim provides. Plus, I felt the vertical text was more appropriatte since it's meant to be somewhat of a tribute to the '77 uniforms. And with the adjustments you made to my alternate court, I just feel like that's a bit too much of the pinwheel-esque striping, and that's why I ended up restricting it to the baselines. And the Rip City logos wouldn't be very visible in the corners since there are seats over in that area. I appreciate your efforts though for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sayahh    360

For sure! Like I said, I did it for fun. That jersey is inferior to yours and the court less practical but just wondered what they'd look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this