Iowa Energy to be rebranded?

buzzcut

I'm not willing to say that it's better than the parent club's new logo. But as someone who went to several Wolves games in their inaugural season, I have real pangs of nostalgia for that original front-facing logo. For that reason, I kind of which the club would have kept this iteration as their primary rather than attaching it to the minor league club.

Again, not saying it's better. I'm just being nostalgic. And I'm glad, at the very least, that this didn't end up on a scrap heap unused.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Wow that is really nice. Like everyone else said, I like it better than what the NBA club went with. Also, that W Star could be turned upside down and placed on an outline of Minnesota and it would make a great secondary for the Timberwolves.

To aid my suggestion, something like this...

592dd99de3508_TWolvesAltLogo.png.931ebf4e91261e2e945ecbc69a725e95.png

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

The Iowa Wolves logo is a very nice nod to the older T-Wolves logo, and I like it just as much as the one used by Minnesota, if not a little more. The shame is that this logo is going to be used on a "same template for every team" jersey. Unless NIKE has plans to change that? 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

iowa_wolves.jpg?w=350Alternate1990-1996.gif

It is similar in positioning, but lacks the WOLF feeling that the vintage logo had. This new look seems too curvy, those sharp angles and edges gave the vintage one a "dangerous"  but "strong" feel.

I'm sticking with my thougt that this could've worked much better for the Timberwolves:

nbawolves2__1_.png

And the Iowa Wolves could've done something similar to the original logo. Or done a twist on the old Minnesota Muskies identity and gone with Water Wolves. ^_^

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Immediately one of the best D-League logos and team names. That Iowa state alt log is also really nice. Although, isn't the star meant to be the north star? so placing it under the W confuses the meaning behind it.

Anyway, now that most D/G-League teams are operated by justone NBA team, I hope we see more logos/names directly linked to their NBA club like the Grand Rapids Drive, Greensboro Swarm, and now Iowa Wolves. After 15+ years of being a work in progress, the D/G League finally seems to be taking shape the way it was meant to.

Now I'm curious to see what the Bucks new Oshkosh team will look like. I hope they come up with something on the same level as the Wolves succeeded in doing here.

1 hour ago, jaha32 said:

Immediately one of the best D-League logos and team names. That Iowa state alt log is also really nice. Although, isn't the star meant to be the north star? so placing it under the W confuses the meaning behind it.

Anyway, now that most D/G-League teams are operated by justone NBA team, I hope we see more logos/names directly linked to their NBA club like the Grand Rapids Drive, Greensboro Swarm, and now Iowa Wolves. After 15+ years of being a work in progress, the D/G League finally seems to be taking shape the way it was meant to.

Now I'm curious to see what the Bucks new Oshkosh team will look like. I hope they come up with something on the same level as the Wolves succeeded in doing here.

I haven't been able to find any new info on Oshkosh. They were supposed to announce the team name in April, but still nothing.  If they don't use Bucks, I think Fox Valley Flyers has a nice ring to it.

I really like this rebrand for the Energy.  I'm kind sad that some of the more unique names of the D-League are being supplanted by the parent club, but it seemed to be an inevitability due to marketing the parent brand being made easier with a similar or exact name. 

The Iowa Wolves identity already looks pretty solid.  Some of the prevalent issues with the T-Wolves logo still exist, such as the silly A and colors, but overall it's a great identity that ties together well with Minnesota.  I even like the Iowa W logo.  This was the best direction they could go.

This, along with the SB Lakers and the ACC Clippers....all have been pretty solid designs overall.  here's hoping the Pelicans, Grizzlies, and Bucks can come up with great identities for their D-League teams as well

1 hour ago, Pharos04 said:

I really like this rebrand for the Energy.  I'm kind sad that some of the more unique names of the D-League are being supplanted by the parent club, but it seemed to be an inevitability due to marketing the parent brand being made easier with a similar or exact name. 

The Iowa Wolves identity already looks pretty solid.  Some of the prevalent issues with the T-Wolves logo still exist, such as the silly A and colors, but overall it's a great identity that ties together well with Minnesota.  I even like the Iowa W logo.  This was the best direction they could go.

This, along with the SB Lakers and the ACC Clippers....all have been pretty solid designs overall.  here's hoping the Pelicans, Grizzlies, and Bucks can come up with great identities for their D-League teams as well

I agree. I really liked when the D-League would wear their parent club's jersey for a few games. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I'd say if the G-League picks up in popularity over the next 10-20 years, then we'll start seeing more teams with unique identities, similar to MiLB. Only instead of every logo being a mascot swinging a bat, it'll be a mascot dunking a basketball.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

2 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

Yes especially in the case of the Long Island Nets and Brooklyn Nets

Ugh. No thanks. 

unspecified2.0.jpg

At least Brookyn has the B-ball logo, that looks good on its own. This script is bad, and the color scheme is a cliche.  

The Brooklyn logo is worlds better, even the pointless primary with the silly hanging place name. 

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

I'd say if the G-League picks up in popularity over the next 10-20 years, then we'll start seeing more teams with unique identities, similar to MiLB. Only instead of every logo being a mascot swinging a bat, it'll be a mascot dunking a basketball.

The G-League had teams with unique identities that were awful.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived