Mets Script Issue (You Won't Be Able to Un-See This)

Gothamite

There's something that's bugged me for years about the Mets' jerseys - the interior point of the "M" is out of alignment with the general upward sweep of the logo.

wright.thumb.jpg.cf65377dacb11da064faeb12d586c288.jpg

Can you see it?

Mets_jerseyscript.gif.3658e37e13a703866fdccfcb0d64cd75.gif

Look at the interior point of the "M".

MetsWordmarkProblem.gif.a2cbdfc37882d438f0daee54372721b1.gif

On the whole, the logo has a pleasantly hand-drawn vibe to it.  Small imperfections are a feature, not a bug.  But this crosses the line from "charming" to "stupid".

When first introduced, the Mets' jerseys had a perfectly balanced version of the logo, with the "M" point following the same upward sweep.

CStengelAP_630318056.jpg

Shortly thereafter, though, it got out of alignment.  This photo of Ed Kranepool comes from just two years later:

Kranepool.thumb.jpg.2a903b41a1bf5b06e3cbb71a9238518d.jpg

And it's been wrong to a greater or lesser degree ever since.

What really kills me is that they've got a perfect wordmark in their set already - it's included in the primary logo.

480px-New_York_Mets.svg.png

Used on its own, it doesn't have the angle problem that hurts the jersey script.  

Mets_wordmark.gif.d8e387ef025ab36cd7b405953da9a5ee.gif

The kerning is a little tighter, but that doesn't bother me.  The jersey script has to account for the placket spacing between the "M" and "e", and that's a relatively minor difference.

So that means Mets have two versions of their script - one used as a general wordmark and an inferior one used just for the jerseys.

I can't ever un-see this.

mets_animated.gif.0f593200bf6cec3ad5927abe9061db16.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always preferred the tighter kerned straight version of the logo. The extra space on the jersey makes sense because of the flap but the notch in the M definitely needs to fall in line. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

:D

And don't get me started on what they did to their cap logo in the 1990s.... ;)

mets_animated_caplogo.gif.240ce1f0a76b0e8eab8fe258d956a45a.gif

I've noticed this one, I dont mind it as much, looks cleaner now. 

I wish that spreading it to others would help me un-see it, but I can't either.

I posted this on Uni Watch, and Paul Lukas replied with:

Yes, this has bugged me for years.

The defective version is what I refer to as the “Wilpon script,” as opposed to the classic script.

Maybe it's not fair blame the Wilpons for this script specifically, since it predates their ownership of the team, but I'm pretty much down with blaming them for anything we can. :D

Perfessor.jpg.704dd3eaf0019be9f9d795d467505c98.jpg

This is really my fault.  I saw this and clicked on it.  I knew it would be one of those "now I can never un-see it" things yet I still clicked it.

Actually I think I may forget about this one...but you make a good point.

I also never knew about the change in cap logo.  I think I actually like the updated version better.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Added a warning to the title. ;)

I admit that I'm almost certainly in the minority where the cap is concerned.  But that's not a new space for me; I've always been of the opinion that they borrowed the wrong New York Giants cap logo in the first place.

NYGiantscap.jpg.4edcff5037e666f7aa893529ef1e4b97.jpg

Ah, what might have been....

GiantsMetsCap.jpg.c42ed533ed41c60e647430d0968bc2aa.jpg

So yeah, I'm kind of on my own. :D

I don't mind it. A lot of baseball scripts are not perfect or formulaic. I think that helps with the diversity. Don't be like the NFL and NBA and standardize logo type if you don't have to. 

I also find flawed scripts charming. It's just another baseball thing that's genuinely classic

11 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I don't mind it. A lot of baseball scripts are not perfect or formulaic. I think that helps with the diversity. Don't be like the NFL and NBA and standardize logo type if you don't have to. 

I also find flawed scripts charming. It's just another baseball thing that's genuinely classic

Oh, I do too.   I think this script is pretty much perfect, except for that one thing.  The lines aren't exactly even, and if you look at my green line you can see that the sweep of the workmark isn't quite even, with the "e" dipping below the others.  But that is, as you say, the charm of a hand-drawn logo.

That "M" point just crosses the line between a charming flaw and an ugly one.  It wasn't part of the original logo, but a mistake introduced along the way and ossified.

I suppose I was destined to be a uniform nerd even as a young kid. I remember seeing that 90's script that @WSU151 posted as a kid, and being so bothered by the "M" not aligning to the "ets" on the bottom. Noticed it just about the first time I laid eyes on their uniforms. They made it a little bit better in the mid-2000s, but it's still misaligned. 

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

It used to be worse...they actually cleaned it up a little bit in 2012/2103.

So they chose to mitigate, rather than fix, the flaw?

Probably not, I suppose...they probably just adjusted it a bit and by chance improved the situation.  But it's kinda funny.  You think they'd either leave it alone or totally correct it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just now, OnWis97 said:

So they chose to mitigate, rather than fix, the flaw?

Probably not, I suppose...they probably just adjusted it a bit and by chance improved the situation.  But it's kinda funny.  You think they'd either leave it alone or totally correct it.

I have no idea how communication regarding minor adjustments of scripts flows between team and league offices, but you'd think someone at the league would say "It's still a little off" (or something to that effect).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived