Mets Script Issue (You Won't Be Able to Un-See This)

Gothamite

26 minutes ago, oddball said:

I don't see a problem with the Mets script as mentioned. It's a script font, it's based off of handwriting and not suppose to be perfect. As far as the Oilers "issue", I love it and think it looks great.

That Mets script is gonna drive me nuts now. Not cool man.

The Oilers thing is pretty cool though. Drives home the oil dripping concept in my opinion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Oh, yeah. I hate this one.  

Here's the logo:

640px-Logo_Edmonton_Oilers.svg.png

The "can't unsee" part is how the letters kind of droop at the bottom - there's no even white circle between them and the blue border, it gets squeezed narrower and narrower as you get to the bottom.  It's almost as though the letters are melting and bleeding into the white.  Ugh. 

"The asymmetrical circle represents that Earth is not a perfect sphere, but rather an oblate spheroid. And the lettering gets squeezed and compressed towards the bottom, indicative of how oil is compressed and harder to extract the closer it gets to Earth's center."

On 5/12/2017 at 10:42 AM, Gothamite said:

MetsWordmarkProblem.gif.a2cbdfc37882d438f0daee54372721b1.gif

See the rising script represents planes taking off from nearby LaGuardia, and the Mets rise from their expansion beginnings.

Or something.

7 hours ago, RichO said:

See the rising script represents planes taking off from nearby LaGuardia, and the Mets rise from their expansion beginnings.

Or something.

"The M is moving in a different direction from the other letters, just like New York is full of many diverse people going in all sorts of directions. And yet it shares the same colors as the other letters, blue and orange, the colors of New York City. The script shows that while there are might be differences, we're all New Yorkers."

Or something.

15 hours ago, Quillz said:

"The M is moving in a different direction from the other letters, just like New York is full of many diverse people going in all sorts of directions. And yet it shares the same colors as the other letters, blue and orange, the colors of New York City. The script shows that while there are might be differences, we're all New Yorkers."

Or something.

The blue remains unchanged.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:39 AM, Quillz said:

"The asymmetrical circle represents that Earth is not a perfect sphere, but rather an oblate spheroid. And the lettering gets squeezed and compressed towards the bottom, indicative of how oil is compressed and harder to extract the closer it gets to Earth's center."

Not to be that guy, but I'm pretty sure a circle can't be asymmetrical.

*DUCKS*

As for the Oilers logo, I honestly have no problem with the wordmark being non-concentric with the blue outline.  I'm not sure if the difference was intentional or not, but it doesn't bother me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

14 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

That bottom part of the M doesn't bother me as much as the inner stroke on the middle corners of the M, on the logo version of the script.  It's rounded instead of sharp.

I don't think it's actually supposed to be that way; I think it's another mistake carried over into sloppy MLB master Illustrator files. 

IMG_2575.thumb.PNG.679f906dd3c20ca69368a83b32f37a1c.PNG

It looks to me like they just might have traced that wordmark from a patch, where the embroidery rounded off those points, creating those rounded points in the official file. 

new-york-mets-primary-logo-patch.thumb.jpg.743776a0c8de014aee5658a23c24cf1c.jpg

Again, once you've seen it you can't unsee it.

mets_points.thumb.png.0b015682030c7ff997b6d8841d797c4c.png

Uni Watch made this graphic to show the first two versions of the logo from the team's earliest days, and the interior corners are sharp in both.  

IMG_2574.PNG.7d110a48522763e67817dbc94dc463c8.PNG

At some point this was changed, possibly in the 90s when the Illustrator files were created. 

Archived