#ConceptLeagues

SyFy Channel Rebrand

10 posts in this topic

Not bad. I like how the lettering can form a square. Some of the demonstrated uses for it build a good brand identity.

this is a true re-brand. its not just a different logo, but a new identity that represents a shift in what their product/channel will deliver. its not the first time though, its usually the case with this channel when they roll out a new on-air package. not the most original logo, but from that GIF i get an "old school arcade meets pop art" feel that i like. feels playful, and youthful in "personality" - not in a childish way, but kind of a nerdy way. in the same vein as Good Morning Football on NFL Network. im interested to see more

1 person likes this

I'm hoping with a logo rebranding we get a G4/SyFy hybrid down the road. The programming lately has been teasing the reality.

I don't really watch this channel, but I like this update! It bums me out when channels get whitewashed for popularity (i.e. Court TV to Real TV, Sci Fi to SyFy, etc)... this rebrand offsets a lot of the whitewashing they did last time, I like it!

Iirc didn't they change it to Syfy because of copyright issues?

15 hours ago, Gary. said:

It was an overreaching attempt to contort their brand into something they could copyright (since Sci Fi was deemed public domain)... the coinciding shift in programming didn't help

I can't tell if I like the logo or the animation presenting it.

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:
16 hours ago, Gary. said:

It was an overreaching attempt to contort their brand into something they could copyright (since Sci Fi was deemed public domain)... the coinciding shift in programming didn't help

It's a pity that they chose to resort to a weird spelling.  They could have attained a trademarkable name [note: I believe that the issue was trademark and not copyright] by going with the full name "the Sci-Fi Channel", always including the word "channel" -- just as we always say "the Weather Channel", and never just "Weather".  Or else they could have leaned on the initialism "SFC".

1 person likes this

More geeky, I like it. Opens the door for a lot of cool functionality the old logo didn't have. Plus anything retro video game style's awesome anyway.