New Helmet enters the NFL

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Is it that much less, though? The face mask juts out an inch more, but the SpeedFlex has a similarly shaped top bracket. The Vicis itself also looks larger, and it has more smooth, uninterrupted area for a decal because it lacks the vents that other models have taking up real estate in that area.

It is for sure. Envision Tampa's Flag Decal on the last image that I posted.

1 minute ago, WavePunter said:

We have football players who put our helmet decals on their bookbags and string backpacks and they actually hold up pretty well on a surface that's not only flexible, but also fabric.. It won't be an issue at all..

Did they absorb impact?

27 minutes ago, #ConceptLeagues said:

Did they absorb impact?

They flex, which is the issue that absorbing impact would cause. Plus they're tossed around with books in them and take a bit of a beating.. Either way, it's irrelevant.. I'm telling you it won't be an issue.. Also, the facemask attaches similarly to the speed flex facemask, so it's not an entirely new issue.. Any equipment manager worth his salt will have no issues making it look acceptable 

44 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

They flex, which is the issue that absorbing impact would cause. Plus they're tossed around with books in them and take a bit of a beating.. Either way, it's irrelevant.. I'm telling you it won't be an issue.. Also, the facemask attaches similarly to the speed flex facemask, so it's not an entirely new issue.. Any equipment manager worth his salt will have no issues making it look acceptable 

It is a totally different beast.

Compare side views.

Look at UAB's application. Look at how high up that decal is. Consider how much that thing will compress.

Vic.png

riddell-speedflex-adult-side.png

131537_web.jpg

34 minutes ago, #ConceptLeagues said:

It is a totally different beast.

Compare side views.

Look at UAB's application. Look at how high up that decal is. Consider how much that thing will compress.

Vic.png

riddell-speedflex-adult-side.png

131537_web.jpg

I'm a head football equipment manager at a D2 school, and I can assure you that it would give me no issues.. The decal is too high.. Putting it in the proper location would actually be best for the UAB decal.. Lowering it about an inch or so would actually give it more room and make it look better..

26 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I'm a head football equipment manager at a D2 school, and I can assure you that it would give me no issues.. The decal is too high.. Putting it in the proper location would actually be best for the UAB decal.. Lowering it about an inch or so would actually give it more room and make it look better..

The shape of that UAB logo gives some wiggle room around that vertical earhole for sure. That earhole pushes everything upward. That's why I say this may be problematic.

Once the first equipment manager figures out the fix, they'll all have it. UAB did some strange things with that helmet, I'd have put   It down by the ear hole. They may still be feeling it out as well. 

Whatever happened to that safety helmet prototype from about a decade or so ago? You know, the one that looked like lord helmet from space balls. It was so outlandish, it made don beebe's helmet look small. Lol

KISSwall09.jpg

33 minutes ago, hormone said:

Whatever happened to that safety helmet prototype from about a decade or so ago? You know, the one that looked like lord helmet from space balls. It was so outlandish, it made don beebe's helmet look small. Lol

The bulwark helmet.. The creator partnered with Schutt and they're between the prototype phase and production of the F7 helmet now.. (Assuming we're talking about the same one from before)

Edit: upon further investigation, I believe you may be referring to the Gladiator helmet.

nfl_helmetposter_050317a_print-1.png

I think the 25 teams who bought them to practice with are for seeing how they are in play.  You can lab test them but you wont know how they work until an NFL team uses them.

WSna22D.gif

YKBcuDz.png
I am the guy who loves Wisconsin

19 hours ago, Webfooter said:

As the story said, Vicis had their engineers redesign certain elements of the helmet to fix many of the issues those 2 schools pointed out.  It'll be interesting to see if those teams wear the helmets next season.

What made zero sense that they tried to outfit the whole team at once as opposed to piloting with a few players in regular season conditions.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:56 PM, #ConceptLeagues said:

The shape of that UAB logo gives some wiggle room around that vertical earhole for sure. That earhole pushes everything upward. That's why I say this may be problematic.

Nothing should ever "push" elements around.. You treat vent holes, ear holes, snaps, rivets, flex panels, and any other feature like it's not even there.. The first thing I would do when I got my hands on a Vicis helmet is take off the facemask, chin strap, and any connection hardware, and apply the decal exactly where it normally would go.. In which case, it should present very few issues, if any.. If the result suggests you make one or two tiny adjustments, so be it.. But they shouldn't be noticeable. You can put hardware through the decal if need be, or trim the decal where it overlaps a vent hole, etc.. A helmet's design really shouldn't affect decal placement to any significant degree

Archived