Rebranding the Braves?

coco1997

With the endless debate over the Indians use of Chief Wahoo, I feel it’s only a matter of time before the team also receives a name change. “Indians” is both an outdated and inaccurate term to describe Native American people.

The Atlanta Braves are no strangers to controversy themselves. The leaked design for a cap bearing the “Screaming Indian” logo back in 2013 was met with such outcry that it was scrapped. There’s also the “tomahawk chop” fans have been enacting at Braves games for nearly three decades. This too has been deemed offensive by some. While th
e Braves haven’t endured as much scrutiny as Cleveland, I suspect they’re next once the Indians situation is resolved.

I am curious where people stand on this issue. If you are in favor of an eventual rebrand, what sorts of alternate names and Atlanta-centric identities could the team explore? Is there a way to keep the Braves name and apply it to something other than a Native American-inspired identity?

P.S. I don’t intend this to dissolve into another Wahoo debate, so please don’t allow that to happen. Thanks.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

I don't think their name will ever change.

1 minute ago, andycumbee19 said:

Not a chance.  

With all due respect, I'm sure these same things were said when people suggested getting rid of Wahoo twenty years ago.

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

With the endless debate over the Indians use of Chief Wahoo, I feel it’s only a matter of time before the team also receives a name change. “Indians” is both an outdated and inaccurate term to describe Native American people.

A lot of Native Americans describe themselves as American Indians.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just because a team name is deemed less offensive than another team name doesn't mean 20,000 or 90,000 drunk fans doing a tomahawk chant makes things any less offensive. Yeah, I just threw the Chiefs in there. (Yeah, they were named after Mayor 'Chief' Bartle)

I don't be believe we will see the Braves or Indian monikers go away anytime soon. I think Atlanta will at most completely phase out the tomohawk, like the Indian phase out of Wahoo. The yelling brave has already gone the way of Wahoo. 

13 minutes ago, raysox said:

I'm not sure they'd change the name, if anything they'd move away from the tomahawk logo.

That being said I really wish they went Red/Black when they moved to Suntrust.

Eh, the whole "throwing out the color scheme that's been worn for more or less the past 110 years" doesn't fly with me. If the Braves would change anything, the basic red/blue color scheme isn't one of them. However, it would have been nice if the team switched to black/red when they moved to Atlanta (instead of only swapping out the cap logo from the last Milwaukee uniform). That'd show some commitment to the new location (tying in with the expansion Falcons and UGA).

Given their red "Patriotic" alternate, the non-indigenous imagery Braves would probably double-down on that color scheme to say that team name represents "Land of the Free, Home of the BRAVES." Yuck.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Given their red "Patriotic" alternate, the non-indigenous imagery Braves would probably double-down on that color scheme to say that team name represents "Land of the Free, Home of the BRAVES." Yuck.

Is it a yuck because the idea of a patriotic themed Braves team (either ascetically or politically) or is it a yuck because the team would be trying to rebrand the name that is historically associated with native americans and shoehorn it (in a corn ball way) as meaning something more akin to a patriotic American?

Where is the safe space in this thread?! Someone might need it soon! Haha all the names should stay the same those who have changed are a bunch of pansies. If you think about it we americans love our sports and if we choose to honor you or your people with the great honor of using you or a certain group of your people then you should applaud that rather than saying it's offensive. What's offensive is what happened to the Indians not some nicknames. 

While an argument can be made in favour of changing names like 'Redskins' or 'Indians', I don't see how anyone can say the name 'Braves' is offensive. A Brave is not slur or ethnonym, its a term for a warrior. It's the culture's equivalent of a Knight or Samurai. Its really no different than Vikings, Warriors, Raiders, Pirates, Cowboys, Rangers, Cavaliers, and a hundred other team names that essentially mean the same thing.

The only way I could see the Braves getting a name change is if the Redskins and Indians do change their names and the aggrievement brigade needs a new source of outrage, and starts hammering on them.

6 hours ago, SJAnfield said:

I don't be believe we will see the Braves or Indian monikers go away anytime soon. I think Atlanta will at most completely phase out the tomohawk, like the Indian phase out of Wahoo. The yelling brave has already gone the way of Wahoo. 

The tomahawk isn't really offensive.  It's no different than a spear or an arrowhead. 

The Tomahawk Chop is what irks a lot of people. 

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The tomahawk isn't really offensive.  It's no different than a spear or an arrowhead. 

The Tomahawk Chop is what irks a lot of people. 

They still do the Tomahawk Chop? Sorry haven't watched a Braves game in ages, there was a call for them to get rid of it in the early 90's.

Losing the Tomahawk on the uniforms when they move to the new stadium isn't a bad idea, over their history they've gone without it. Put me in the camp that would like to see them go back to the lowercase a on the cap with that being the primary logo.

8 minutes ago, ltp74 said:

They still do the Tomahawk Chop? Sorry haven't watched a Braves game in ages, there was a call for them to get rid of it in the early 90's.

Losing the Tomahawk on the uniforms when they move to the new stadium isn't a bad idea, over their history they've gone without it. Put me in the camp that would like to see them go back to the lowercase a on the cap with that being the primary logo.

I'm pretty sure they still do the chop.  And they've already moved to the new stadium. ^_^

Archived