Rebranding the Braves?

coco1997

14 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Or moving a baseball team to an otherwise completely unnecessary new stadium in a lily white suburb that is out of the way for most of the people in the city?

27% black and 12% Hispanic doesn't seem to be lily white to me. Is it the same as the inner city? Well no, but the inner city doesn't represent the average. Cobb County has a higher minority % than the US Average. 

US Census

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Or moving a baseball team to an otherwise completely unnecessary new stadium in a lily white suburb that is out of the way for most of the people in the city?

While the reasons for moving can be debated, the area around Turner Field had always been poor. Acres and acres of parking lots and run down buildings. While it was still downtown, it was nowhere within walking distance of really anything. The Braves tried for years to develop around the stadium but the city wouldn't permit it because the city owned the parking lots and didn't want to give them up. 

Atlanta is very much a commuter city. The vast majority of the fan base lives in the suburbs. Driving through the city to get to games was a nightmare as our two main highways converge into one single main road right through downtown. It could take 2 hours to go 25 miles. The closest our rail lines would drop you off was still about a mile away from the stadium. 

Turner Field was built for the Olympics and is now being converted to a football facility for Georgia State University and the surrounding area is finally being redeveloped. It's really a win-win for everyone. Georgia State gets a nice facility (and they are building a baseball park where Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium used to be). The stadium is now going into its "third life," which is almost unheard of for Olympic facilities now. So many Olympic stadiums are white elephants months after the games end. 

The Braves are only 12 miles or so up the road and now have things to actually do around the ballpark. You can basically spend the entire day there if you want. At Turner, all you could do was pull your car up and tailgate out in the lot. There was literally nothing to do. The Battery development around the new park is incredible and the stadium is very nice, too.

10 hours ago, BlazerBlaze said:

Not sure what you're trying to imply. I actually laughed at this thread.

i'm not mad i'm not mad i just think it's funny

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/16/2017 at 8:24 AM, leopard88 said:

I agree with your assessment. However, the problem is that "least damaging" is like "least pregnant."  It's either damaging or it isn't.

I put that in quotes for a reason. 

I'm not going to say that it's not a problem, but I'd focus on SEVERAL other Native related teams, first. Then maybe do something with the Braves.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I wouldn't change anyone's names but I would concentrate on being better corporate citizens and patrolling the fans' use of Indian imagery: no headdresses, etc.

PROCEEDING WITH CAUTION: if you told me the Redskins could keep the name "Redskins" but be made to send sizable donations to Indian groups that would somehow improve the material conditions of an impoverished people OR change the name to "Washington Federals" and continue to do nothing for anyone but themselves, I would lean hard toward the former. Of course, this effectively comes down to the licensing of an ethnic slur, but in dealing with a league, team, and fanbase that appear to have no interest in change, some kind of charitable side to it all seems like the best way forward. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Heads up. Please find a way to discuss this issue respectfully. You don't need to agree with someone on the other side, but find a way to argue without calling them "racist" or "fascist PC police."

The thread will be closed if a civil discourse can't be maintained.

Thank you.

44 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Heads up. Please find a way to discuss this issue respectfully. You don't need to agree with someone on the other side, but find a way to argue without calling them "racist" or "fascist PC police."

The thread will be closed if a civil discourse can't be maintained.

Thank you.

Yes, this is exactly what I feared might happen when I started this thread. Please keep things civil. 

Glad the Braves are not the Eagles!

Braves at the end of the day depict Native American imagery in a positive non-offensive way.

Even if there was a problem I feel like the theme of bravery would do fine to represent the club.

Like someone here mentioned before, as a kid I thought more about bravery when I heard the club name.

I'm a braves fan from Atlanta. Though the tomohawk is nostalgic to me, I wouldn't mind the brand going the direction of bravery if it has to.

That being said I personally enjoy the team's branding and current kits and see it as one of MLB's classic sets.

ATL

On 5/16/2017 at 4:20 PM, rams80 said:

Is moving the stadium to an area that is mostly white a bad thing?

43 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

Is moving the stadium to an area that is mostly white a bad thing?

I dunno, let's ask the ghost of Calvin Griffith

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 5/15/2017 at 8:57 PM, Cujo said:

Gee, I wonder where this thread is headed...

Ye of little faith. Sure, we've seen some version of this thread pop up around here about 37,000 times, but I have a good feeling that this one will be the one that finally comes up with the answer that will make everyone happy.  B)

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

I dunno, let's ask the ghost of Calvin Griffith

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If he's not available, try the ghost of Horace Stoneham.

I'm not sure what you mean by talking about ghosts. In a direct answer, is having a stadium in a mostly white area a bad thing?

19 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I'm not sure what you mean by talking about ghosts. In a direct answer, is having a stadium in a mostly white area a bad thing?

If you are explicitly moving there because it is mostly white, it's not a good look.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived