San Jose Logo Tweak (Jerseys Coming)

MrWonka

Trying to streamline the logo. I always loved the look of the shark in this logo

but it always seemed way too busy. First, I removed the orange like I usually

do when starting a San Jose concept. Always try and decide where the lighter

gray should go. This time I went minimal with the gray. Then I started to remove

some of the smaller linework that I feel doesn't really add anything to the logo.

After that, I took a look and thought, does this logo need the broken stick?

Sure it adds more of the idea of aggression, and well, it's a hockey stick to

signify the sport the Sharks play. However, doesn't break a hockey stick

show that the shark does not like hockey? Or maybe the shark just ate a 

player? I know the story behind the idea that it's eating the Pittsburgh Penguin,

but the stick just doesn't do it for me. At first, it was really weird, but it grew

on me. Lastly, I tweaked the color scheme a bit. The teal is a tad brighter

and the black is actually just a dark charcoal gray. Maybe not noticeably different

but I liked that look better than the pure black. Let me know what you think,

jerseys will be up soon!

sanjose.png

2 hours ago, AusGiant said:

It's a definite improvement. Perhaps thickening the teeth and right side black head line will give it more of a sharper feel. How does it look with a few dashes of orange?

My next move was definitely doing that to the teeth. 

And where was your idea for the orange? I personally dislike orange overall for the color scheme, but depending on where I can see how it looks.

Just now, philhiney said:

Couldn't agree with this more. Love the negative space "S".

Actually, that idea was taken from their new alternate logos (not sure if they're going to use them soon on jerseys). But I loved that aspect of the logo, so it was an easy decision to move it to this one.

Personally, as a San Jose fan, I do not like the negative space S. I feel like it doesn't add anything to the logo that isn't already there, just looks a little more busy and not as clean. If it stands for Sharks I feel like it's not necessary considering that's literally what you get out of the whole logo in the first place, and if not that what else is it suppose to stand for? The "San" in San Jose? That just wouldn't make sense either.

2 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Personally, as a San Jose fan, I do not like the negative space S. I feel like it doesn't add anything to the logo that isn't already there, just looks a little more busy and not as clean. If it stands for Sharks I feel like it's not necessary considering that's literally what you get out of the whole logo in the first place, and if not that what else is it suppose to stand for? The "San" in San Jose? That just wouldn't make sense either.

I can totally see that. Without it, it actually looks pretty bare, if I take it out there needs to be something there. It was taken from the alternate logo but I feel for this it was more of a "scratch" or a ripple from the Shark. Personally I don't think it makes it look busy, but I do think there needs to be something there if I remove them.

14 hours ago, MrWonka said:

I can totally see that. Without it, it actually looks pretty bare, if I take it out there needs to be something there. It was taken from the alternate logo but I feel for this it was more of a "scratch" or a ripple from the Shark. Personally I don't think it makes it look busy, but I do think there needs to be something there if I remove them.

Maybe make it more like an SJ? That would be a lot cooler I think.. or maybe rippled water. 

Archived