Sports you hate

smzimbabwe

To watch and/or play. I like playing basketball, I can't stand watching it on tv, except for women's NCAA. I hate playing volleyball, I don't mind watching it. I like playing soccer, was the first sport I participated in, and I enjoy going to games, just can't bring myself to watch a match on TV. Just had to rant because my brother doesn't understand the difference between liking to watch and liking to play. He thinks if I hate a sport, I shouldn't like to watch or play it. There is no either/or with him. Just wanted to see if I was alone in this belief.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curling and poker. If you can do them at the top level hungover or pregnant,  it's not a real sport. And I don't understand why NBCSN has shown curling so much while disregarding other winter sports that require more mental and physical aptitude.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't know that I "hate" any sport, in general.  Maybe golf.  But even then, my hatred of golf is not really "hating golf" as much as it is being annoyed by the obsession that golfers and sports media have with it.

For the most part, though, there are just sports I am not into.  Motorsports, soccer,* MMA, boxing, golf...

*but even then, I'll tune in a bit to the World Cup and may jump on Minnesota's MLS bandwagon.

8 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

To watch and/or play. I like playing basketball, I can't stand watching it on tv, except for women's NCAA. I hate playing volleyball, I don't mind watching it. I like playing soccer, was the first sport I participated in, and I enjoy going to games, just can't bring myself to watch a match on TV. Just had to rant because my brother doesn't understand the difference between liking to watch and liking to play. He thinks if I hate a sport, I shouldn't like to watch or play it. There is no either/or with him. Just wanted to see if I was alone in this belief.

Now regarding playing, yeah, there are some I hate playing and volleyball is right there at the top and I admit that it's partly because I suck at it.  I did not mind golfing back in high school when I'd do it 10 times a summer, though it is frustrating.

As for "liking to play but not watch" there's no reason someone can't feel that way.  I used to play tennis and I can watch a little but for the most part, tennis is a "play but don't watch" sport for me.  Same with golf when I played and before I grew to hate it.  

There are not as many "watch but don't play" sports for me.  I feel like if I am willing to watch it, I'm willing to play it at least recreationally.  Football, I suppose, because playing legitimate football (pads, tackling, etc.) is not of interest in adulthood for me.  Combat sports like boxing and MMA, I suppose (not me; I don't watch those, but a lot of people do and would not participate).  I do not agree with your brother.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I played both tennis and golf at various periods of my life, but I've never had any interest in watching either.

Football is a sport I have loved to watch but never even considered playing.

I have no interest whatsoever in boxing or MMA, either as a participant or spectator.  And I will actively avoid them.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Curling and poker. If you can do them at the top level hungover or pregnant,  it's not a real sport. And I don't understand why NBCSN has shown curling so much while disregarding other winter sports that require more mental and physical aptitude.

I felt the same way when the networks were pushing NASCAR for so long....

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I used to agree about curling. Then my friend invited me to come play at her curling club. 

I love it now. It was not easy to pick up the sport and there are a lot of very little intricacies that you can not see on TV. 

But yeah, poker isn't a sport at all. It's a card game (a card game I like) but it's not a sport.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I give zero craps about MMA. Can't even tell you why, I just don't care one bit about it. Although I will occasionally watch a boxing match and find myself much more interested in that than MMA. 

I have this really weird kinda like/really hate relationship with the NBA and thus, with basketball in general as far as watching is concerned. The Jazz (and to a small extent, the Spurs if they go far enough) are really the only thing that keep me in it. And even then, I'm much more into the Jazz than I am the NBA. Once they're out though, my interest completely plummets. The combination of all the "superteams" over the years, acting classes really paying off for just about everyone, over-abundance of conceited d-bags all across the league and atrocious officiating league-wide have really turned me off to it as time has gone on. I mean yeah, you can find that in every league, but it seems to be really amplified in the NBA. 

You could potentially say the same about the NFL, but I find myself more indifferent towards the NFL now than having a hatred for it. I've just more so lost my care for it than anything. College Football helps my interest in football a whole lot in terms of watching.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 hours ago, generalshepherd141 said:

NBA specifically has become unwatchable since the 1990s with all of the flopping and soft fouls.

Not just the flopping, but the sense of a team is gone.  It just seems like a sport of individuals pieced together.  Even teams like the Spurs seem disconnected.

I enjoy playing basketball, but have never enjoyed the professional version of it. I wouldn't say I hate the NBA, but I find 90% of it to be unnecessary. Most of the time the game could be decided by only playing 10 minutes and the result would be the same. I feel like the officials call too many fouls, I don't know why they call a foul sometimes and other times they don't, I don't like how rosters are built, I don't like how defense is so obviously half-assed in the regular season, among many other reasons. 

I also don't like how it's become America's second favorite sport thanks to ESPN's round the clock coverage. 

I do like documentaries, books, podcasts about basketball, but actually watching the games I find incredibly boring. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I don't like tennis. I don't like watching tennis. I don't get how women's tennis has de-evolved into nothing more than running around and "orgasmic screaming".

What does the screaming accomplish?

The screaming allows them to hit the ball 5-10% harder. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Probably figure skating. My grandma watched it a bunch, even when it wasn't the Olympics, so I got stuck watching it a bunch as a kid. Beyond that, nothing sticks out. I like MMA, but don't follow it intensely, but that's more to do with there only being so much time in my life to try and follow everything I like. 

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't know that I "hate" any sport, in general.  Maybe golf.  But even then, my hatred of golf is not really "hating golf" as much as it is being annoyed by the obsession that golfers and sports media have with it.

Pretty much this for me with soccer, in spite of being from soccer nation itself. Oh wait, pardon me, I'm British, so I should be saying "football", lest my fellow countrymen come at me with torches and pitchforks. I mean it's not like we invented the word "soccer" ourselves to differentiate it from other codes of football or anything.

I once claimed to "hate it with a fiery burning passion" but I don't actually care enough to hate the sport itself. The media obsession only gets on my nerves if there's  a major event like a World Cup or something, but the generally corrupt and toxic culture of the so-called Beautiful Game™ does put me off.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I enjoy playing basketball, but have never enjoyed the professional version of it. I wouldn't say I hate the NBA, but I find 90% of it to be unnecessary. Most of the time the game could be decided by only playing 10 minutes and the result would be the same. I feel like the officials call too many fouls, I don't know why they call a foul sometimes and other times they don't, I don't like how rosters are built, I don't like how defense is so obviously half-assed in the regular season, among many other reasons. 

I also don't like how it's become America's second favorite sport thanks to ESPN's round the clock coverage. 

I do like documentaries, books, podcasts about basketball, but actually watching the games I find incredibly boring. 

All of this, but the bolded part especially.

If NBA games were a half-hour/one hour-long TV show, I could probably get into it. But at three hours, they tend to drag on. It's either a blowout or the last 5-10 minutes matter. The previous 80-90 points didn't really matter all that much, no matter how many "highlights" (read: routine dunks that consistently land as the No. 1 play of the night somehow) happened in the early stages of the game.

Every so often (usually when the Lakers are worth a damn), I try to get into the NBA. I really do. It's all of my buddies' favorite sport (and none of them watch hockey), so conversations about sports tend to drift there (or their godforsaken fantasy league that 1) seems to mean more to them than the NBA itself sometimes and 2) I almost won on accident the first year just because picked first and had LeBron, but I only joined because NHL lockout, then NHL came back and I didn't care about fantasy NBA haha). So I really do give it a try, but it just never gets its hooks into me.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived