Sports you hate

smzimbabwe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Poker is a competitive game of mental challenges, to try to make correct decisions and to evaluate the risks you take.

It's not a sport. It's a card game. But they still air the WSOP and such on sports networks because it's a competition and those broadcast tournaments have an audience so there's a demand to view it and it needs to air somewhere.

Hasn't some sports channel once aired that annual eating contest?

I really don't know who watches it though, probably the same people that watch E sports, and think those are real sports too.

ITT: "I don't fully and completely understand this sport, and I don't want to spend the time to learn about it, so therefore I hate it and I don't get why anyone would like it"

Hate is pretty strong. I can't think of a sport I'd like to eradicate like it's cancer or genocide or something. 

At best, there are sports for which I have complete indifference, and you'd have a difficult time even paying me to watch. Among the majors, basketball.  In general, though, I'm not a fan of sports with subjective scoring, or that lack head-to-head competition. 

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

On 5/19/2017 at 11:53 PM, Kramerica Industries said:

I like basketball, but Jesus Christ the NBA is flat out unwatchable these days. I'm a Grizzlies fan...I might've legitimately watched 2 1/2 Grizzlies games the entire regular season. As long as the NBA is this much of a lopsided gongshow, with two haves and 28 have-nots, I honestly don't know where the motivation to watch these games can come from.

Couldn't agree more. Your post is basically a condensed version of every NBA conversation that has ever taken place on BASS. Great minds...etc. B)

BB52Big.jpg

On 5/20/2017 at 10:17 AM, dont care said:

I really don't know who watches it though, probably the same people that watch E sports, and think those are real sports too.

I don't know anybody who thinks esports are real sports, but it can still be fun to watch.

I'll add high school basketball. The players are bad and there's no shot clock. Normally I'd say I'm indifferent, but when I lived in northeast Arkansas, I met so many people who swore that high school basketball was the best version of basketball. I guess watching bad teams stall for as long as possible is fun for them. 

I don't hate any sport but I generally find golf and soccer unwatchable. Also that fringe stuff like curling, darts, and bowling.

What's interesting is that I do tend to enjoy the figure skating during the Olympics. Wife and I always watch it...just the sheer pressure and perfection of being out there or with a partner while an entire arena of thousands and global audience of millions are scrutinizing your every move is pretty cool. Especially after you prepare for years for just that one moment. 

Basketball I used to enjoy more but it sort of lost me from a cultural standpoint in the mid to late 90's. And way too many cartoonish rebrands regarding uniforms.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:56 PM, Rockstar Matt said:

Baseball. I'd literally rather sit in a room, staring at a blank TV than to turn it on and watch baseball. 

Same thing with NASCAR. I love me some auto racing (racing is a sport, mind you), but NASCAR is also excruciatingly boring.   

Throw golf in there too for the trifecta of soulless boring sports.

$1000 says you'd watch an inning of baseball over three hours of doing absolutely nothing but look at a blank television set. No sleeping, no alternate source of entertainment, etc.

And, auto racing isn't a sport.  Driving a car isn't an athletic feat.  Driving a car fast isn't an athletic feat.  Driving for four hours isn't an athletic feat.

American football. It's slow and boring and there really isn't much to it. I can't believe American football fans will complain about how slow baseball is when the time of actual action is about the same. I can't believe Americans stand so wholeheartedly by football when rugby is far superior. 

Aside from football, NASCAR just isn't my thing, I don't hate it, but it just doesn't interest me.

5 hours ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

American football. It's slow and boring and there really isn't much to it. I can't believe American football fans will complain about how slow baseball is when the time of actual action is about the same. I can't believe Americans stand so wholeheartedly by football when rugby is far superior. 

Aside from football, NASCAR just isn't my thing, I don't hate it, but it just doesn't interest me.

There is more to football than to pretty much any other sport. It's literally like a physical game of chess on a field. 

Playbooks are incredibly thick. The strategy that goes into football is unreal. I have nothing against rugby. It's a noble sport played by true warriors. But  football is simply a much more evolved version of rugby.

Archived