USA Today: 5 sports logos that would look so much better with one simple fix

BJ Sands

9 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I think the Clippers added black for black's sake. It might have been an official team color in the past (I don't know), but it was never emphasized. The Clippers have pretty much always used some combination of red and blue, and yet it's barely there in their logo.

I myself don't think the Clippers logo is as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but I think the recolor shows that using so much black just wasn't anything more than a poor attempt to look "cool."

IIRC the guy that commissioned the logo and rebrand wanted something quick and hired the people from the Heat or Magic (can't remember which) against the advice from people within the Clippers organization or something and he wanted black because he liked the Bulls.  I can look it up later.

24 minutes ago, sayahh said:

IIRC the guy that commissioned the logo and rebrand wanted something quick and hired the people from the Heat or Magic (can't remember which) against the advice from people within the Clippers organization or something and he wanted black because he liked the Bulls.  I can look it up later.

Wouldn't surprise me. I think the Ontario Clippers demonstrate that the logo can be salvaged, but it would need an extensive redo at this point.

35 minutes ago, Quillz said:

To be fair, the Lakers don't make any use of nautical imagery either (granted, I can forgive LA people for not knowing a laker is a type of boat).

And as I've stated in other threads, the Clippers *used* to have a pretty decent logo when they were in San Diego.

5452.gif

It's not great, but it actually has colors and imagery that references their nautical name. I don't know why the Clippers didn't take this and modernize it, it would have been a good base to build on.

Except those colors are wrong.  They actually looked like this -

LAC - 1978 San Diego Clippers primary 1.jpg

All I would have done with the Clippers is drop the Lakers ripoff and promote the script to primary status. I found that script (and its Los Angeles road counterpart) rather durable, especially the contrast of the Clippers wearing "Los Angeles" on the road while the Lakers don't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, sayahh said:

I remembered wrong. It's not the Bulls; it was the Heat and the Nets who have black in their identity (and out-of-bounds areas):

http://www.clipsnation.com/2015/9/12/9299611/panic-over-patience-a-logo-story

4 hours ago, Quillz said:

True. But for some reason the mothership here has the wrong colors.

IIRC, didn't they use both color schemes with that logo? Like, the orange/sky blue scheme first, and then the RWB after that? I don't know if they used RWB at all in San Diego, but I feel like they at least used that scheme in LA before adopting the ball logo.

On 5/16/2017 at 10:40 AM, KGeeX5 said:

When the Angels used the gold Halo for their 50th (?) Anniversary it was a beautiful look. The gold really helps the logo pop more imo. 

Why did the Angels switch to the silver halo? Was it in 2002 with the latest rebrand? I wanna say it was gold every season before then? 

18 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Why did the Angels switch to the silver halo? Was it in 2002 with the latest rebrand? I wanna say it was gold every season before then? 

Looks like it first appeared in 1993 as per the mothership 

2301.png

Archived