Sign in to follow this  
CS85

Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, Audioslave, dead at 52

Not sure if suicide or what, but he died hours after finishing a performance in Detroit, MI with Soundgarden.  

I was dreaming about Soundgarden and woke up with the CNN update.

Creepy.

I saw Soundgarden play five days ago.  I've seen him perform nine times.  You'll never hear me say someone had a better singing voice, regardless of genre.

We can never be sure of these things, but word was he'd been clean for some time.  I'm in the age group that was all over the "grunge" scene...as such it's a tough pill to swallow that "Mt. Grungemore" (Vedder, Cornell, Staley, Cobain) is down to one.

This is probably the worst celebrity death of my life.

Rumor was they found him in his hotel room with something around his neck, but who knows.

45 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Not sure if suicide or what, but he died hours after finishing a performance in Detroit, MI with Soundgarden.  

Minutes, actually. He left the stage here around 11:15ish. He was found right after midnight, and reportedly was long gone when they found him. They're saying here from local sources trying to piece together the timeline that he literally walked off stage, went to his hotel room, and hung himself.

Accounts of people at the show last night calling into local radio shows say that he was slipping in very cryptic things in between songs, like, "Hey Detroit, people are definitely going to wish they were at this Soundgarden show."...and stuff of that nature.

ugh, just saw them last week here in Indy, this is a really tough one. I have been listening to them since the late 80's....Say Hello To Heaven Chris.

1 hour ago, agentrygraphics said:

Minutes, actually. He left the stage here around 11:15ish. He was found right after midnight, and reportedly was long gone when they found him. They're saying here from local sources trying to piece together the timeline that he literally walked off stage, went to his hotel room, and hung himself.

Accounts of people at the show last night calling into local radio shows say that he was slipping in very cryptic things in between songs, like, "Hey Detroit, people are definitely going to wish they were at this Soundgarden show."...and stuff of that nature.

Ugh.  I also heard he wasn't at his best last night, performance was, but was still excellent.

Sad news. Really regretting not going to see Soundgarden when they played the Fort Rock Festival in Fort Myers a few weeks back.

2 hours ago, LMU said:

I was dreaming about Soundgarden and woke up with the CNN update.

Creepy.

coincidence, read the book.

Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, and Chris Cornell are now all gone. There aren't many left from the 90s grunge scene. I hope Eddie Vedder is doing well cause now I'm worried about him too.

This is still very shocking, though. RIP. I don't know why he did it. I did not see any signs or anything.

He will be missed. :(

Big shocker when I found out. I'm a big fan of the Seattle Grunge bands. More importantly, a band I grew up listening too. Its a big shocker and like others said he will be missed.

Chris Cornell, one of my all-time faves. RIP

Dang. Loved Soundgarden growing up. He had a phenomenal voice and could sing just about anything. I had a solo album of his when I was in Junior High, and it had THE best cover of "Billie Jean" I've ever heard; he made it sound like he should've sang it originally all along. I think that's a testament to how great a musician he truly was.

He will be very missed. RIP.

What a shame. Chris Cornell was a monster talent. The guy could do it all. He'll be missed. 

It's a shame. The music of Soundgarden was a large part of my youth, as was that of Audioslave, and in whatever band (or solo), he could sing in just about any situation. It sucks even more that, not uncommon for those from the 1990s Seattle grunge scene, it looks like he took his own life.

On Twitter, amongst the tributes, someone brought up the idea of the death being due to auto-erotic asphyxiation. As far as anyone knows, he wasn't taking anything for depression, and had never talked about suicide. While he may have done a fantastic job of hiding his pain and depression, maybe it's possible that the immediacy of the death so quickly after stepping off stage may mean the death was accidental.

I remember David Carradine, his death was firstly considered a suicide because he was found hanging in a closet. But further investigation led to the conclusion it was accidental during the act of pleasuring himself.

2 hours ago, slapshot said:

On Twitter, amongst the tributes, someone brought up the idea of the death being due to auto-erotic asphyxiation. As far as anyone knows, he wasn't taking anything for depression, and had never talked about suicide. While he may have done a fantastic job of hiding his pain and depression, maybe it's possible that the immediacy of the death so quickly after stepping off stage may mean the death was accidental.

I remember David Carradine, his death was firstly considered a suicide because he was found hanging in a closet. But further investigation led to the conclusion it was accidental during the act of pleasuring himself.

Isn't the conventional wisdom that once a person decides to commit suicide they seem calm, content, and "normal" because the decision has been made?