NY Driver's Manual Cover Redesign

ZionEagle

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've uploading anything here, hasn't it :D ? Well, now that school is over I'll be able to post a few old things that I've worked on a while ago and just never uploaded.

So recently I had just taken my permit test and passed it (Yay!). Anywho, beforehand I had been studying the NY driver's manual, and let me tell you, this thing is ugly as heck. I mean, just look at it:

EtN3bH9.png

Come on NY, are we really sure this was designed in 2016? It's obviously awful, but hey, at least it looks better than PA's manual :lol:

So I decided to take it upon myself to make a new cover design.

rOotUVt.jpg

(I found this great mockup site that gave me two free mockups.)

As you can see here, I tried to go for a more simple, sleek design. I also wanted to keep the trend that NY has been doing for a while now with their new logo.

I suppose I shouldn't have put the year there, but I figured it made the design more uniform. I didn't want to write out the non-abbreviated form of DMV, so I just put their logo on there.

What do you all think?

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

41 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

Looks Great. Clean, Modern, and gets the point across.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad it works.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

4 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Pennsylvania-Drivers-Manual.jpg

Sorry we like the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) mentality lol

Well, I can agree on the stupid part :lol:

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

I think the real New York one is designed pretty well; whereas the Pennsylvania one is not "designed" as such, but is just a thrown-together mess. Though the prevalence of red on the New York manual's cover doesn't seem right; I would prefer blue.

Apart from that quibble, the main critique that I could make of that drawing is that it does not depict crosswalks or bike lanes. This is a serious flaw in light of the bad behaviour with respect to these street markings that drivers typically engage in.  A driver's first responsibility is towards the other more vulnerable road users.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On the one hand, it looks nice. It really, really does. On the other hand, it looks more like a Thruway rest stop map of all NYS parks than a driver's manual. It should probably show more traffic control devices than just stripes on the road. I think it's a nice design in the wrong application.

I don't often say this, but @Ferdinand Cesarano is right. *Comic Book Guy voice* It says right here on page 29 of the manual that transportation and utilities agencies should use a nice Pantone 307C blue or similar.

http://ocfs.ny.gov/ohrd/OMTV/OMTVfinal/NYS_GUIDELINES.PDF

Living in NY I had to study this exact book a couple years back. I dont mind the illustrative vectored graphic. I think the trees and cars could use a touch up but my biggest problem is the red sidebar and font choices. Yours, like previously stated is designed very well, just maybe not for a driving manual.

11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I think the real New York one is designed pretty well; whereas the Pennsylvania one is not "designed" as such, but is just a thrown-together mess. Though the prevalence of red on the New York manual's cover doesn't seem right; I would prefer blue.

Apart from that quibble, the main critique that I could make of that drawing is that it does not depict crosswalks or bike lanes. This is a serious flaw in light of the bad behaviour with respect to these street markings that drivers typically engage in.  A driver's first responsibility is towards the other more vulnerable road users.

5 hours ago, MrWonka said:

Living in NY I had to study this exact book a couple years back. I dont mind the illustrative vectored graphic. I think the trees and cars could use a touch up but my biggest problem is the red sidebar and font choices. Yours, like previously stated is designed very well, just maybe not for a driving manual.

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

On the one hand, it looks nice. It really, really does. On the other hand, it looks more like a Thruway rest stop map of all NYS parks than a driver's manual. It should probably show more traffic control devices than just stripes on the road. I think it's a nice design in the wrong application.

I don't often say this, but @Ferdinand Cesarano is right. *Comic Book Guy voice* It says right here on page 29 of the manual that transportation and utilities agencies should use a nice Pantone 307C blue or similar.

http://ocfs.ny.gov/ohrd/OMTV/OMTVfinal/NYS_GUIDELINES.PDF

Well I appreciate the detailed feedback guys! Truth be told, I guess I might have jumped into this too quickly and should have done some research. I think I was more focused on making an aesthetically pleasing design as opposed to a practical, useable design. Maybe in the future, since you all seem to like it so much, I'll try to update the car design. Thanks again!

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

Like the new look, but I would move the title bar down a touch; it's hugging the top a little too closely for my liking. Give it some breathing room!

That's an easy fix, I was already thinking the same thing. Will do :D !

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

23 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

The other thing is I don't know if the  NY one uses a glossy/hard cover. The PA one is just regular paper.

The NY one is a pamphlet, but I couldn't find a pamphlet mockup hence the hard cover.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

16 hours ago, MrWonka said:

my biggest problem is the red sidebar and font choices.

I agree on the font choice.

But the color is there for a reason.

It makes it easy for DMV workers to grab the correct manual with a counter-full of people.

Driver's Manual - Red

Spanish Version - Orange

Motorcycle - Blue

1 hour ago, Sport Billy said:

It makes it easy for DMV workers to grab the correct manual with a counter-full of people.

Driver's Manual - Red

Spanish Version - Orange

Motorcycle - Blue

I can get that, maybe, but there can still be a better way.

21 hours ago, Sport Billy said:

Driver's Manual - Red

Spanish Version - Orange

Motorcycle - Blue

They should make the widest-used version - the English version of the driver's manual - blue, given that blue is the state's official color. Perhaps have a blue/yellow manual for English, yellow/blue for Spanish, and a neutral color (like gray or white) for motorcycles. That would better conform to the state's general color scheme.

Archived