MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

I love this Mets update.  Really fantastic work. 

I have only two things I don't think are upgrades: 

1. The "NY" on the primary. I don't think it's needed, and provides little but clutter (love all your other fixes to the primary!). 

2. Allowing the outline to break the letterforms on your secondary.  I think the monogram should be considered one shape for the purposes of outlining, as the Mets currently do.  It's complicated enough, with three points of contact. 

Still, minor critique.  Great work!

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I didn't know that about the missing bank, so good job reinstating that and cleaning up the other little errors.

I don't like the little orange NY returning to the primary. It looks like a little afterthought scrawled on the logo after it was finished lest anyone not figure out that it's the New York Mets. The road script is a lateral move from the one the Mets have used all these years and I can't say I'm a fan; the One True Mets Road Script is the 1987 cursive one that matched the home script. The plaid flannel alternate is cool as an annual gimmick but for reasons I can't explain I've never been enthusiastic about blue thirds with orange features for the Mets. Maybe it's too close to the Cubs' blue and red, maybe it's too modern for a New York baseball team, I don't know. It's never added much to me. 

As for NOBs, I can't quite tell: are you using the condensed block the Mets have always (or at least since '86) used? The Cardinals use it too, which I was surprised to learn, because I never thought their names looked like the Mets. Maybe it's a spacing/radius issue between the two.

Thanks! I always like doing the little stuff in my tweaks. I'm dumping the NY in the update in this post. It does clutter the logo up too much.

As for the bolded point, I'm not too keen on the 1987 wordmark. It didn't match the home script nearly as much as people think it did. The "N" looks like it belongs to a different cursive font:

6735771962.gif6735261987.gif

Heck, the 1993-94 script looks more like the home script (especially my modified version).

6735771962.gif0UpVBME.png

Of course, since that mark carries the "Worst Team that Money Can Buy" stigma, I didn't want to use my modified version of it for the main concept. However, I'm using it in my alternate take.

The NOB's use the standard block font, as I don't like the look of block condensed for teams with one outline. When I get to the Cardinals, I'm bringing back the Rawlings block NOB's (like they used in the 1960's and like what the Orioles use now).

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I love this Mets update.  Really fantastic work. 

I have only two things I don't think are upgrades: 

1. The "NY" on the primary. I don't think it's needed, and provides little but clutter (love all your other fixes to the primary!). 

2. Allowing the outline to break the letterforms on your secondary.  I think the monogram should be considered one shape for the purposes of outlining, as the Mets currently do.  It's complicated enough, with three points of contact. 

Still, minor critique.  Great work!

Thanks Gothamite! Your posts were a big inspiration for the many fixes in the set. The interlock was an interesting experiment, but I don't think it worked nearly as well as I thought it did. My revision (and the alternate take) will delete it.

Without further delay, here is the revision!

NtgfEe7.png

LpJsnmx.png

1mZ4CYo.png

Your modified WTMCB script looks good. It's different enough to be viable going forward. I just think it's important for the two New York road scripts to be different styles: I wouldn't want the Cubs to use a cursive Chicago script because the White Sox own that. Here, the Yankees have individual radial lettering, so my first impulse for the Mets is cursive because that's what the homes use (though I could get behind the vertical-arched New York Giants script). 

Anyway, good cleanup. I know BP/STs and dugout jackets are outside the purview of this project, but I'd hope your Mets would use the interlocking NY on their jackets. Always thought that was neat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Mets update looks really good, but I have a question: 

The "New" from the 93-94 script really pops in your update, but I really enjoy the look of the "York" from the 87 script more. It looks cleaner to me & fits better with the Mets script. Is it possible to use that "York", thicken it & place it with the updated "New"? I feel that would be the best blend of eras for the New York script. Just my 0.02 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

The Mets look really nice, there's not much to fix with an already good looking team to be honest. I will say though that I like the Mets' current, taller NY more, it just seems more modern to me.

As for what to do with the road script, I agree with @the admiral about the '87 script being my favorite for the Mets, though the N does look a little out of place. Here's an idea that I just had, maybe try making an "N" from the "M" of the Mets wordmark and then keeping the rest of the '87 script? That way the away would match the "tallness" of the home that the 93-94 script kind of lacks.

I'm really curious to see your interpretation of the black & pink Mets!

The Mets are looking good! While I normally prefer the script "New York" for the road jersey, I think the updated Tuscan style you've used here actually looks pretty great. If you do decide to go the script route, I like @KittSmith_95's suggestion of combining the '87 and '93-94 wordmarks to create something new. Looking forward to the Mets in black & pink, especially that "pre-1930" part!

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

Your modified WTMCB script looks good. It's different enough to be viable going forward. I just think it's important for the two New York road scripts to be different styles: I wouldn't want the Cubs to use a cursive Chicago script because the White Sox own that. Here, the Yankees have individual radial lettering, so my first impulse for the Mets is cursive because that's what the homes use (though I could get behind the vertical-arched New York Giants script). 

Anyway, good cleanup. I know BP/STs and dugout jackets are outside the purview of this project, but I'd hope your Mets would use the interlocking NY on their jackets. Always thought that was neat.

Thank you! I get why the scripts should be different styles, but I still prefer the radial style (as in I'm not replacing it). The font, color scheme, and template are enough separation for me. Besides, it's a little bit of commentary on how people perceive New York. From the outside, it's monolithic with minor differences. On the inside, it's more divided up. I know you can say the same thing about any city, but it's particularly true in New York.. I think you'll like what I do for the second part of the alternate take.

If I do create jackets, you bet I'm using the interlocking "NY" on them!

16 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Mets update looks really good, but I have a question: 

The "New" from the 93-94 script really pops in your update, but I really enjoy the look of the "York" from the 87 script more. It looks cleaner to me & fits better with the Mets script. Is it possible to use that "York", thicken it & place it with the updated "New"? I feel that would be the best blend of eras for the New York script. Just my 0.02 

15 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Mets look really nice, there's not much to fix with an already good looking team to be honest. I will say though that I like the Mets' current, taller NY more, it just seems more modern to me.

As for what to do with the road script, I agree with @the admiral about the '87 script being my favorite for the Mets, though the N does look a little out of place. Here's an idea that I just had, maybe try making an "N" from the "M" of the Mets wordmark and then keeping the rest of the '87 script? That way the away would match the "tallness" of the home that the 93-94 script kind of lacks.

I'm really curious to see your interpretation of the black & pink Mets!

12 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Mets are looking good! While I normally prefer the script "New York" for the road jersey, I think the updated Tuscan style you've used here actually looks pretty great. If you do decide to go the script route, I like @KittSmith_95's suggestion of combining the '87 and '93-94 wordmarks to create something new. Looking forward to the Mets in black & pink, especially that "pre-1930" part!

Thanks, guys! I have a feeling you'll both enjoy the second part of my alternate take.

11 minutes ago, mamiller99 said:

Like the look of the Mets, but like @coco1997 said, I feel that the script logo works better on the away. Also, the pants on the home alternate don't have the pinstripes

Thank you. The reason why the home alternate pants don't have pinstripes is that pinstriped pants look like ass when paired with solid-color jerseys. That's just personal preference on my part.

Now, it's alternate take time!

NEW YORK METS, PT. II - Black and Pink Panes

This one is where I get a little silly. We're all aware by now that one of the Mets' original owners, Joan Whitney Payson, proposed a black and pink color scheme for the team because of her Greentree Stables' color scheme. When researching this concept, I found that black/pink wasn't unprecedented in New York's baseball history. The 1916-17 Giants used similar color schemes of black and violet/navy and violet. Since this color scheme coincided with their venture into the windowpane design, I opted to go down that route in the identity.

The logos are the same tweaked ones from my main concept. I chose Rhodamine Red C as the pink shade, as it contrasted well with the black (the Calgary Hitmen are a testament to this). While it's not quite the same as the Greentree Stables' salmon color, it still stands out on black backgrounds and on white/grey backings.

vWURfza.png

The uniforms feature a pink windowpane pattern against black scripts with pink outlines. Even the road uniform gets this treatment. Said road uniform also features my version of the 1987 script, with a 1993-94 "N" on it (created from the "M" in the "Mets" lettering). For that extra vintage punch, the socks have five stripes for each of the boroughs. 

OzV9REU.png

The fauxbacks also play into the funkiness. The home uniform is my send-up of the 1905 Giants' all-black uniform, while the road set is a recreation of the 1933-35 Giants' road uniform. I figured it'd be fun to have at least one uniform in the series with black pants, and I like the semi-tribute to the milkman hats of 1997

RQt708y.png

I would never want this set to see the light of day, but I thought it was a fun experiment. Embracing my inner @Discrimihater (who has done his 1916 Giants-influenced uniforms as well) is always fun! C+C is appreciated.

NEW YORK METS, PT. II Addendum - Road Script Editions

Because people wanted to see it, I've prepared two variants on the road jerseys. The first is a combination of the 1987 script with a modified "M" from the home script (the WTMCB script was too bulky for these purposes), and the second is an arched Tuscan wordmark in the style of the 1947-57 Giants. I didn't use the Giants' actual wordmark, because it looked too much like the Pirates' font. In case you're wondering, the third button on the 1987 style would be a sub-placket piece.

ueBv2jp.png

UcVjznw.png

While I still like the radial script more, I think these are both excellent alternatives. 

Up next, the Philadelphia Phillies!

Yeah, those are both loads better than radial-arched Tuscan, which belongs to the Red Sox. Sorry :/

Remember when the Mets used block lettering for their road script? That was weeeird.

A million times YES

The Black & Pink Mets look.... well, amazing. The updated road script really pops (Albeit I still kind of want to see a thicker version) & I feel this look is really fun. If they ever did a black & pink fauxback, I hope they take a look at your design here. 

I'm looking forward to the Phillies and keep it up. 

The Mets look pretty in pink! Black and pink is a seriously underrated color scheme, and I think it's time a professional sports team embraced it. The plaid is a little wacky, but I guess that's one of the charms of these alternate takes. 

As for the updated wordmarks for Part I, they're both big improvements over your original version. I think I'm leaning towards the script option, as it would distance the road uniform a bit more from the Yankees. 

Can't wait for the Phillies!

I think you've done it. You found, in my eyes at least, the perfect option for the Mets on the road with that script. I love it.

As for the black and pink set, once again, I like it way more than I should. I actually like the "windowpane" look so much that I'd like to see a team (if done right) maybe adopt it real life. It's refreshingly unique, yet stays within baseball's aesthetic standards, at least those from a hundred years ago. The thinking behind the 5 sock stripes is also a nice touch. Wonderful work once again!

On 8/21/2017 at 11:25 AM, the admiral said:

Yeah, those are both loads better than radial-arched Tuscan, which belongs to the Red Sox. Sorry :/

Remember when the Mets used block lettering for their road script? That was weeeird.

Thank you. Oh, the 1988-92 uniforms were bizarre! I'd never do that. That's akin to the Angels wearing a cursive script or the Cubs using Old English.

I do admit that both of my options might be empirically better than the radial script, but I'm sticking with it. I know it'll make me come off as a hypocrite given my attack on the old "TC," but I've got a soft spot it (and for the pre-WWII Giants' look in general).1 Please do not take this as me being close-minded or anything of the sort, but rather as me expressing my preferences/unpopular opinion and having my arguments in favor of it (i.e. baseball Giants wore it, it's different enough from the Yankees' road uniforms, fits with the "split" of the Mets' identity, a mismatch can be the Mets' party trick, etc.). If it's good enough for Tom Seaver and Carl Hubbell, it's good enough for me!

TomSeaverEdit_2.jpg content

On 8/21/2017 at 11:43 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

A million times YES

The Black & Pink Mets look.... well, amazing. The updated road script really pops (Albeit I still kind of want to see a thicker version) & I feel this look is really fun. If they ever did a black & pink fauxback, I hope they take a look at your design here. 

I'm looking forward to the Phillies and keep it up. 

On 8/21/2017 at 11:54 AM, coco1997 said:

The Mets look pretty in pink! Black and pink is a seriously underrated color scheme, and I think it's time a professional sports team embraced it. The plaid is a little wacky, but I guess that's one of the charms of these alternate takes. 

As for the updated wordmarks for Part I, they're both big improvements over your original version. I think I'm leaning towards the script option, as it would distance the road uniform a bit more from the Yankees. 

Can't wait for the Phillies!

On 8/21/2017 at 5:58 PM, MJD7 said:

I think you've done it. You found, in my eyes at least, the perfect option for the Mets on the road with that script. I love it.

As for the black and pink set, once again, I like it way more than I should. I actually like the "windowpane" look so much that I'd like to see a team (if done right) maybe adopt it real life. It's refreshingly unique, yet stays within baseball's aesthetic standards, at least those from a hundred years ago. The thinking behind the 5 sock stripes is also a nice touch. Wonderful work once again!

Thanks! I'm glad that the black and pink has some fans. Like with my Tigers' alternate take, it was an excuse to have some fun with an otherwise staid team. Pre-1930's baseball aesthetics are often wild compared to what we've come to expect. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't recreate the placket script or checked pattern of the Brooklyn Dodgers for this guy. Oh well, I'll save it for a Dodgers alt (the Dodgers shouldn't have colored jerseys).

1As far as the SF Giants are aware, the club's history begins with Willie Mays' call-up in 1951 with only a few mentions of anything before that point. It's better than how many relocated teams treat their history, but it's still not as "amazing" as some would claim. Heck, I'm probably the only Giants fan who wants a John McGraw statue outside AT&T Park.

PHI_IASIPTitleCard.thumb.png.079cabd3e6f065097824f2de725e112e.png

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES, PT. I - The Burgundian Restoration of the Whiz Kids (guest starring powder blue)!

I've done my fair share of Phillies concepts in the past. The first phase centered on my attempts to use the 1970-91 wordmarks and maroon (with powder) on the current template, to mixed results. My next period saw me try to reincorporate the Whiz Kids' wordmark and cap logo (based on Matt Malinoski's cleanup work - the versions on the Mothership are really rough-looking) alongside a dark red shade (and powder blue accents) with the big cuffs and sleeve numbers of the 1992-present uniforms. However, that just didn't do it for me. Reading some posts on the Phillies this year has gotten me to steer my concept in a different direction (thanks, @kroywen and @Gothamite):

On 7/8/2017 at 5:09 PM, kroywen said:

My ideal Phillies look would be their 1950s script (and cap) in maroon. I could go for powder blue stars on the wordmark as well (I love powder blue and maroon together - there's a reason the closely-related claret and blue is such a popular color combination over in England).

I can't say I've ever been a fan of the lowercase P used by the Phils in the 70s, nor the racing stripe. But the maroon color itself? It's perfect for the Phils. Wish they'd bring it back.

On 7/9/2017 at 7:47 AM, Gothamite said:

I really think the Phillies best option would be to return to the 1950 uniform, and darken the red just a bit to their later maroon.  

(Insert player picture here)

The look was nearly perfect on its own, and works with a modern template; adding a distinctive color would put it over the top, on par with the Yankees and Dodgers as eternal classic.

Of course, you'll get the whole "light blue was never a team color" argument. My response would be: "Make it a team color. Claret/Light Blue looks beautiful on many association football teams, and a close relative of that color scheme worked for the Avs (who should have had slate blue pants, not black)." Besides, the Phillies have come to realize that the two colors work well together, hence why they use both of them in their retro merchandise. I know that incorporating powder blue isn't to everybody's tastes (like @the admiral), but I've always liked minimal amounts of it.

The colors are perhaps the largest departure from my previous sets. Instead of using the original maroon (which was too dark for my tastes) or a cardinal red (which was too desaturated), I opted for PMS 1955 C. This shade of Claret would be both distinctive and "lively." The Light Blue is PMS 299 C, as I needed the blue to show up on white/gray backgrounds. The result is a distinctive color scheme that packs just the right amount of saturated punch.

The primary logo is a modified version of the Citizen's Bank Park logo, with the 1992-present Liberty Bell inside. The Liberty Bell is also the secondary, while the cursive script cap logo is the tertiary. I like the cursive more than the cursive-esque letter in the wordmark. It's a bit of retro charm. I've overhauled the Whiz Kids' typeface a little, for more consistent line weights. It's an effective modernization, without the rounded edges, big outlines, or poor kerning of the 1992 "uncanny valley" modernization. Here is a comparison. I did keep the blue stars, as they added a nice little "punch" to the mark. I also used a modified version of the Lobster font to create a matching "Philadelphia" wordmark.

covpIqk.png

The uniforms are my idea of how to modernize the Whiz Kids' look. I dumped the sleeve numbers and engorged road stripes in favor of the Liberty Bell logo and thin trim on the gray jersey/pants. The number font is my attempt to clean up the 1950's-1960's block numeral variant, as I like its distinctiveness (the sans-serif "1" in particular). The Liberty Bell logo remains on the socks, and claret/red shoes return (the Reds are the only "red" team that can wear black cleats).

m5YP8iO.png

The throwbacks are my take on the Phillies' current cream alternates. They now bear more resemblance to the 1946-49 uniforms, with the accessories matching the cap crown color and sock stripes. Claret is still the primary color, with Light Blue taking more of a secondary role in the outlines and on the caps. The primary is on the sleeves.

tnXjDEo.png

This modernization of the Whiz Kids strikes a balance between cleanliness and vintage charm, avoiding the bulbous traps of the 1992 redesign. While Light Blue's integration may prove controversial, I think it adds a bit of extra "pop" to the identity. C+C is greatly appreciated!

Because @the admiral requested it earlier in the thread (and I'm sure many of you want to see it), here is a road gray with the "Philadelphia" wordmark! I'm not too keen on it, but it's worth a shot.

S9Le4WM.png ZfiBeHx.png

For the alternate take, the Phils get a civic twist!

No to the cream jersey. Cream & Powder Blue blend into one another too much & it looks awful. Besides that, this is a great looking set for the Phillies! I also love the Philadelphia script you've made, and it would look fine on the road or on an alternate jersey. In fact, why no Maroon or Baby Blue jersey here? Either one would look better than the cream alternate IMO, and I could see a Maroon jersey working well on the road. 

I pretty much grade Phils concepts on a pass/fail basis. Are they in burgundy pinstripes? Pass. The powder blue, I mean, I don't need it, but it's kept to the same minimum as royal blue today, so it's not a deal-breaker. I like them having a number set of their own that isn't the terrible one they have now, and by the same token, the scripts are so much better than what they have now, which are painfully showing their age.

I don't know what to make of the cap monogram. I know there was a discrepancy between script and monogram on the Whiz Kids Phillies and on countless teams since, but I'm so used to it being the same that it seems off. But at the same time, I like the standalone P a lot and would probably like it better on the cap than the one from the scripts.

The only argument I can think of for keeping bolder cuff/pant trim is as an oblique tribute to teams of the recent past. Even then, I'd go burgundy/white/burgundy and make it just a tad thinner.

So yeah, good stuff, eager to see what you have in mind for civic iconography beyond the Liberty Bell.

Nice work on the Phillies! I'm personally not a fan of the "Philadelphia" road option, simply because the word is just too long to look good on a jersey. 

I'm curious what the "civic twist" will be. Flag colors in gold and blue?

I love everything about this Phillies concept. That's pretty much exactly how they should look, IMO. The script is a perfect modernization of the old Whiz Kids script, without the cartoony, bubbly look of the current script. Also like the shade of claret that you picked - a nice balance between the too-bright red the Phils currently use (which looks way too pink when applied on pinstripes) and the darker maroon that the Phils used previously.

As for the light blue, you obviously know how I feel about that. ;) Of course, as is always mentioned, light blue has never been a Phillies' team color. But blue (in general) is a Phillies color. IMO, if the shade of red is darkened (to either maroon or claret), the shade of blue has to be lightened in order to keep a good balance of colors. The current blue would clash terribly with either maroon or claret, I think. So rather than getting rid of blue altogether (as the Phils did in the 70s), I'd prefer lightening the blue, as you did. Claret and light blue is an incredible color combination that really isn't used often here in America, and fits the Phils well.

re: Philadelphia script

I stretched it vertically by 37.5% and found that it fit a little better once I did that, though I understand why people either don't think it's necessary for the Phillies or actively dislike it.

On the primary, the CBP outfield walls don't scan as such and look more like a mountaintop or some sort of defect to match the crack in the bell. Since CBP is more or less octagonal, what about a more stylized take on representing the ballpark in the primary (a good idea, I might add), like a diamond inside or on top of an octagon? Would that be too abstract?

Thanks, guys!

On 8/22/2017 at 7:54 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

No to the cream jersey. Cream & Powder Blue blend into one another too much & it looks awful. Besides that, this is a great looking set for the Phillies! I also love the Philadelphia script you've made, and it would look fine on the road or on an alternate jersey. In fact, why no Maroon or Baby Blue jersey here? Either one would look better than the cream alternate IMO, and I could see a Maroon jersey working well on the road. 

Thanks. I can see where you're coming from with not liking the creme alternate. I actually like the way it blends, for some reason I can't put my finger on. I didn't want to give the Phillies a Claret or Light Blue jersey, as the Phillies went a long time without such an alternate. I respected that in a way, so I decided not to do it. However, here's a white version of the creme alt:

CemFxKq.png

I like that a little bit more.

On 8/22/2017 at 7:59 PM, the admiral said:

I pretty much grade Phils concepts on a pass/fail basis. Are they in burgundy pinstripes? Pass. The powder blue, I mean, I don't need it, but it's kept to the same minimum as royal blue today, so it's not a deal-breaker. I like them having a number set of their own that isn't the terrible one they have now, and by the same token, the scripts are so much better than what they have now, which are painfully showing their age.

I don't know what to make of the cap monogram. I know there was a discrepancy between script and monogram on the Whiz Kids Phillies and on countless teams since, but I'm so used to it being the same that it seems off. But at the same time, I like the standalone P a lot and would probably like it better on the cap than the one from the scripts.

The only argument I can think of for keeping bolder cuff/pant trim is as an oblique tribute to teams of the recent past. Even then, I'd go burgundy/white/burgundy and make it just a tad thinner.

So yeah, good stuff, eager to see what you have in mind for civic iconography beyond the Liberty Bell.

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

re: Philadelphia script

I stretched it vertically by 37.5% and found that it fit a little better once I did that, though I understand why people either don't think it's necessary for the Phillies or actively dislike it.

On the primary, the CBP outfield walls don't scan as such and look more like a mountaintop or some sort of defect to match the crack in the bell. Since CBP is more or less octagonal, what about a more stylized take on representing the ballpark in the primary (a good idea, I might add), like a diamond inside or on top of an octagon? Would that be too abstract?

Thank you! I did think to have some larger striping, but I liked the minimalist look a little more. It's a leftover from the early stages in the concept, where I had no white outlines on the road script. I kept it for minimalism's sake. 

As for the Philadelphia script, I'm not sure I like it all stretched out at that percentage:

f8XU2nQ.png jAj5Yuc.png

It distorts the text, making it harder to read. Now you know why I'm not all that keen on a "Philadelphia" script (even though it could look good). 

As for the primary logo, I get the whole "odd read" thing that the outfield gives off. I've prepped two graphics with the diamond to illustrate your idea:

OrAmcCo.png

22 hours ago, kroywen said:

I love everything about this Phillies concept. That's pretty much exactly how they should look, IMO. The script is a perfect modernization of the old Whiz Kids script, without the cartoony, bubbly look of the current script. Also like the shade of claret that you picked - a nice balance between the too-bright red the Phils currently use (which looks way too pink when applied on pinstripes) and the darker maroon that the Phils used previously.

As for the light blue, you obviously know how I feel about that. ;) Of course, as is always mentioned, light blue has never been a Phillies' team color. But blue (in general) is a Phillies color. IMO, if the shade of red is darkened (to either maroon or claret), the shade of blue has to be lightened in order to keep a good balance of colors. The current blue would clash terribly with either maroon or claret, I think. So rather than getting rid of blue altogether (as the Phils did in the 70s), I'd prefer lightening the blue, as you did. Claret and light blue is an incredible color combination that really isn't used often here in America, and fits the Phils well.

Thanks! I too would love to see more American teams wearing the Claret/Light Blue combination. Heck, I've long maintained that the Avs could pull it off.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:24 PM, coco1997 said:

Nice work on the Phillies! I'm personally not a fan of the "Philadelphia" road option, simply because the word is just too long to look good on a jersey. 

I'm curious what the "civic twist" will be. Flag colors in gold and blue?

Thank you! You're on the money with the colors, but be prepared for a few more surprises!

PHI_IASIPTitleCard.thumb.png.6100dbf45047809fb7f2266dc69657aa.png

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES, PT. II - Blue and Yellow men of Penn

It would not be a understatement to say that the first half of the 20th century was a bad time for the Phillies. The team was a perennial cellar-dweller in financial distress that played in a shack of a stadium. The team's visual identity was also in flux during this time, as they experimented with varieties of red and blue. In 1938, the team became tenants of the then more-successful Philadelphia Athletics. The Phillies also adopted a royal/yellow color scheme, to honor the New Sweden Tercentenary and the colors of Philadelphia's flag (based on the Swedish flag). They also recolored their logo, an image of the William Penn statue atop Philadelphia City Hall pitching a baseball in front of field. While this colorway lasted only a year in our timeline, what if the Phillies kept those colors around beyond that point?

I decided to run with the 1938 identity. While they may have been a little close to the A's royal blue, the Phillies were wise to use copious amounts of yellow. Therefore, that was my color balance. I made the assumption that when William B. Cox and the Carpenter family bought the Phillies, they would have kept that color scheme and combined it with the "Whiz Kids" script, while adjusting the William Penn logo over time. I also assumed that there would have been a "swirly-P" period with these colors. This would be followed by a return to form, albeit one that was less ugly than the one we got.

The primary logo features an image of William Penn throwing a baseball from atop City Hall. I placed Penn and the spire in a keystone shape, as Pennsylvania is the "Keystone State." While I know some may argue that the Pirates already use the keystone image, let's assume that the Phillies beat them to the punch (much like the Flyers did to the Penguins). I used a dark royal, to differentiate the team from the other royal/yellow teams I've done/will do.

FIEtS2v.png

The uniforms are not that strange. I decided to experiment with a pinstripe-less look, instead opting for double stripes on the sleeves. The gray uniform has a light blue tint, as I thought it looked nice for this color scheme.

oV6tmIm.png

The alternates feature a little bit of speculation. While the royal blue top is not all that fancy, the powder blue set is more interesting. It's my speculation on what the "swirly-P" set would have looked like in this color scheme/color balance. A recolored/keystone version of Phil and Phyllis appears. I went for a "Spirit of '76" vibe - beating out a "honor a complex figure in Pennsylvania's history" one. The "swirly-P" has been subbed out for the jersey "P," as the baseball seams did not play well with an outline. I also followed @the admiral's recommendation for Wilson Varsity Font for the uniforms, as I too don't like the old Phillies' custom font (and Wilson Varsity had precedent with the maroon Phillies identity).

RXQpEz2.png

This was a fun way for me to reference the history of Philadelphia, without having to use American Revolution imagery. C+C is appreciated!

Up next, we head to the other side of Pennsylvania for the Pittsburgh Pirates!

P.S. This is a really cool article about how the Phillies rise coincided with the A's falling apart in Philadelphia because of the Mack family's squabbles/Connie Mack not having a clue when it came to quitting. They may have been the Spanoses of their day.

Archived