MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

bu4qcn5.png

One more thing I forgot to ask: Is there any way you can give us the primary roundel (contrails included) with the current "H" and surrounding "Houston Astros" text? I'm curious as to how the primary roundel colors and contrails would look on the current Astros primary logo. Not asking for anything else other than the primary roundel alone.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, the admiral said:

With a heavy heart I must tell you that "Railers" fails the adolescent prurience test worse than "Railmen" does :(

But I like the use of the Reds font and the logos are good. I would just never sign off on throwing 35 years of brand equity in the trash and I'm glad the Astros didn't. The worst thing about "South Texas Railmen" is that Houston isn't even in South Texas. South Texas is San Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley. Houston is in East Texas, all bayous and humidity, basically the edge of the South.

Thanks, and it is my mistake for not looking at Urban Dictionary before deciding on the name. In my defense, "railers" (fellatio with way too much teeth action) is obscure. Still, both you and @MJD7 are right. "Railmen" has a clearer definition than "railers."

The other options are also an issue. "Buffs," while the long-held name of Houston's minor league teams, is obscure when compared to the storied Pacific Coast League, American Association, and International League teams (look at the minuscule amount of Buffs merchandise sold on Ebbets Field Flannels). It doesn't help that buffalo imagery isn't all that unique in the Big Four and that Buffalo, New York has a monopoly on it. "Diesels," while a decent train name (and one that ties into former owner Drayton McLane's shipping company), isn't as marketable as steam train imagery. While "Railmen" is the best name change option (even though I can find no news articles suggesting the team considered it), all of the new identities are crummy compared to "Astros" and its brand equity.

I too have never thought of Houston as South Texas. I spent my preteen/tween years in the heyday of the "Dirty South," so I associate that city more with the American South than I do with South Texas. Texas can be just as much of a regional hodgepodge as Florida.

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Another very imaginative alternate take. I really like the use of the Reds' numbers, and the train tracks as baseball stitching on the tertiary logo are brilliant. I think the Astros-themed alt is my favorite of the set. However, I would angle the wordmarks like on the original 2000-12 Astros uniforms. 

Looking forward to the Dodgers! As a team that's been historically very traditional, I'm curious what you have planned for the alternate take. 

Thank you! I think I'll put a bit of a subtle angle on the scripts in an update. I'm sure you'll be pleased with my Dodgers alternate take.

8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I have to admit, this one is not my favorite so far. I think I prefer the actual fonts the Astros used during this era to the ones you chose; I also think the road version of the brick alternate is pretty difficult to read. I agree that "Railmen" works slightly better than "Railers" in use.

I also think the road could be all brick, but that's just personal preference.

There are some redeeming qualities though, the primary and territary namely are both fantastic. The use of the Reds font is also clever, and works really well. I also really like the Astros alt, you could honestly build the whole identity off that.

With a few tweaks, I honestly think you could make this look really great! Looking forward to the Dodgers!

Thanks! I can see why you'd like the actual fonts more, but I believe that they were too modern for the railway identity. It needed a late-1990's vision of late-nineteenth-century railway aesthetics, and I think my fonts delivered it better than the wispy script the Astros employed. You are right about the road brick jersey being hard to read, which I'll fix in an update with a "Railmen" rename. 

I'm not all that keen on the color flip, but I wanted to make a "marketable" set for late-1990's standards. I assume that the Railers/Railmen would have eventually adopted brick caps and accessories on their road uniforms after the BFBS fad lost steam (npi). 

The Railmen should be a fun set to update after I finish up the division.

6 hours ago, SS8609 said:

One more thing I forgot to ask: Is there any way you can give us the primary roundel (contrails included) with the current "H" and surrounding "Houston Astros" text? I'm curious as to how the primary roundel colors and contrails would look on the current Astros primary logo. Not asking for anything else other than the primary roundel alone.

That can be arranged, along with the other stars!

HOU_RoundelFun.thumb.png.204d07ab3f16a56e28b2fac68ede0f77.png

I like the 1994-99 one the most in this arrangement, due to motion lines. It also illustrates my problem with the "static" nature of the classic and modern H-star insignias.

With that out of the way:

LOS ANGELES DODGERS, PT. I - De-cluttering with a sense of history

The Dodgers have some of the best uniforms in baseball. The simple cursive scripts, the red front numbers, and interlocking "LA" logo are all classics. However, that is not to say that there isn't some gunk in their identity. The primary logo uses a wispy wordmark that looks out of place compared to the uniform lettering. The road uniform situation is iffy, as a team name on a gray jersey is a no-no, and the striping on the "Los Angeles" jersey looks out of place without pants trim. Also, the redundant sleeve patch is silly, and there is the inconsistency of the three "LA" logos. These were all issues that needed some attention.

The primary mark now uses the uniform script. The secondary is a new interlocking "LA," based on the current cap embroidery logo and the 1958-71 version of the insignia. Here is a visual comparison. The tertiary is my attempt to modernize several 1910's-20's Brooklyn Dodgers logos. 

Fvxw63x.png

The uniforms do not undergo much change. There are no sleeve patches or striping on any of the uniforms (akin to the state of their jerseys and pants in the 1960s). I also brought back the bold Block Standard numbers, as I liked their extra heft. The NOB letters are a thinner varsity block, like the old Goodman & Sons font the Dodgers used in the 1970s/'80s. It's nothing to write home about, but it brings some much-needed consistency to the identity.

mPpSltN.png

The two road alternates (which would appear on rare occasions) have their fun touches. The first is a hodgepodge of different Brooklyn Dodgers looks (for occasional wear against the Mets, Giants, and Yankees). The cap is a gray take on the 1938 hat and the uniform script (the Dodgers should always use cursive wordmarks, not insignias, on uniforms) and numbers use the powder of the 1929-31 (and 1944) squads. I added the Brooklyn-style (and briefly in LA) stripes to the placket and sleeve. The socks are straight off of that 1931 gray outfit, to give it an extra red punch. The other road throwback, which recreates the 1971 road uniform, would also have few appearances. It features the tertiary logo, to give the jersey some small city identifier. This alternate not only revives one of my favorite one-year uniforms, but it also caters to the fans of the white outline period while doing something unique with the team's traditional look.

fwMI4D0.png

The Dodgers don't need to fix much, but these minor tweaks do much to improve the set. C+C is appreciated.

For the alternate take, we're getting something a little angelic.

The Dodgers are solid. Loving those road alts! I'm kind of surprised you didn't go with a blue alternate, though. I actually really liked this short-lived BP jersey, though it would have looked much better had the "LA" monogram been white instead of gray. 

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

For the alternate take, we're getting something a little angelic.

Hmm...

A+, exactly how the Dodgers should look: no piping or patches or anything more than what's necessary. 

All I can possibly come up with in the way of suggestions is a Dodger Stadium logo that incorporates the awesome pastel color scheme of the seating, though I recognize stadium logos are outside the purview of the project. S'all I got. It's nice to see the Dodgers done perfectly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks, guys!

On 9/21/2017 at 4:30 AM, the admiral said:

A+, exactly how the Dodgers should look: no piping or patches or anything more than what's necessary. 

All I can possibly come up with in the way of suggestions is a Dodger Stadium logo that incorporates the awesome pastel color scheme of the seating, though I recognize stadium logos are outside the purview of the project. S'all I got. It's nice to see the Dodgers done perfectly.

Thanks! I thought about adapting the 50th anniversary logo, but the pastels were a little distracting. 

On 9/21/2017 at 10:31 AM, Paul Lucas said:

That '94-'99 roundel looks amazing! Could you mock up the orange jersey with that design? 

Dodgers look just right. I'm a sucker for anything Brooklyn. 

Thank you! I'll see if I can put the 1994-99 star on the orange alternate.

On 9/21/2017 at 1:54 PM, neo_prankster said:

Very nicely done.

I know the Padres are still a ways away, so what can we expect for Part II of the Dodgers? A Brooklyn what-if scenario, or the Hollywood Stars?

4 hours ago, SS8609 said:

Or perhaps the old PCL Angels...

Thanks, guys! I think you'll like my Padres concept. If you're wondering what I'll do with the Dodgers' Part II concept, wonder no more!

LOS ANGELES ANGELS, PT. II - The Angels of Chavez Ravine

It's retro Pacific Coast League time again! I know that it was standard practice not to rename teams upon relocation in the 1950s and '60s (except for the Browns-Orioles transition - because the Browns were a toxic trash heap of a team compared to the storied International League Orioles). These policies were because of the allure of "getting a big league team," and the Dodgers were one of the most famed teams of the '50s. However, let's say that Walter O'Malley looked to the Orioles' example of changing up his team's identity in a move. He must have realized that Los Angeles was quickly becoming a terrifying web of freeways with crap public transit (the trolleys that the Brooklynites "dodged"), rendering the team's name inaccurate. O'Malley already had plans to use the PCL Los Angeles Angels' interlocking "LA" logo with modifications, so what if he went all-in on a rebrand?

The PCL Los Angeles Angels had many looks, some wilder than others. I decided to convert the Dodgers' script style to the "Angels" name, albeit with the addition of red halos (since the PCL Angels used a lot of red). I also added a light blue outline to all of the elements, as a way to differentiate the team from it's Brooklyn past and to incorporate the bright colors of Chavez Ravine Stadium. It also helped that the Dodgers had a past with light blue (see the Part I concept), so its addition wouldn't be out of place for the period. The primary logo uses a baseball with the new "LA" insignia (based on the 1958-71 cap logo) and the wings from my AL Angels concept. The wordmark has a bit of Belgrad, for that Art Noveau touch.

bh9CBWB.png

The uniforms follow the "slight changes" thesis. The font numbers are contrast-colored with the scripts, as it was plausible that the team would retain that feature. The sleeves, pants, and socks all have an asymmetrical striping pattern. The team would say that it represented "the blue sky above Chavez Ravine" or something like that. While such a striping pattern wasn't standard in the 1950s/'60s (the Senators were the only team doing it), it wouldn't be "out of reach" for the period. The primary logo acts as a sleeve patch.

MHnER7v.png

The alternates are where I have a little fun and show people that a name change doesn't always equal ignorance of team history. The blue jersey features an asymmetrical take on the PCL Angels' "waffle weave" pattern and the cap logo as a crest. The retro alternate is a throwback to the 1952-7 Brooklyn Dodgers, meant for occasional wear at home (i.e., Jackie Robinson Day). It uses a proper Brooklyn Dodgers' "B," not the Red Sox hack or the Bakersfield Dodgers' logo.

RuNZgD2.png

Although I'm glad the Dodgers didn't change their name upon moving to Los Angeles, I wanted to show how the team could have adapted their look to their new location (while honoring their Brooklyn days). If you're wondering what name the 1961 LA expansion team would have adopted, maybe they became the new Hollywood Stars (that name was too minor league for my tastes, even more than "The Angels Angels"). C+C is appreciated!

Up next, my adopted team, the Milwaukee Brewers!

Angels in the Dodgers script reminds me of when someone here pointed out that the Los Angeles Giants (big city) and San Francisco Dodgers (trolleys) would have made more sense and flipped the LA and SF monogram colors accordingly. Fascinating yet so wrong. I like the primary and wish the Angels would bring something like that back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 9/22/2017 at 3:47 PM, the admiral said:

Angels in the Dodgers script reminds me of when someone here pointed out that the Los Angeles Giants (big city) and San Francisco Dodgers (trolleys) would have made more sense and flipped the LA and SF monogram colors accordingly. Fascinating yet so wrong. I like the primary and wish the Angels would bring something like that back.

Thanks! I've had that same Giants-Dodgers thought as well. I've even mocked it up!

LAD_SFGSwitch.thumb.png.8463a66cab4cb5040392f82239f45b24.png

Excuse me while I vomit profusely.

On 9/22/2017 at 5:58 PM, neo_prankster said:

Nice job on the recent update. Now I'm curious to see how the Giants would look if they had rebranded as the Seals.

Thanks, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with my Giants alternate take!

On 9/22/2017 at 7:43 PM, coco1997 said:

tenor.gif

Never even considered this as an alternate take but I love everything about it! 

Thanks!

On 9/22/2017 at 9:17 PM, MJD7 said:

Beautiful. Just... beautiful.

Edit: One small suggestion, but maybe make the front numbers red with a light blue outline, to keep a bit more in Dodgers tradition? It still looks great regardless.

Thanks! I did think about the red numbers, but the influence of the AL Angels made me determine that the halo should be a color that doesn't appear anywhere else in the set. Besides, I've never liked powder and red touching.

Anyway, it's on to the Brew Crew!

MILWAUKEE BREWERS, PT. I - Roll out the Royal Blue Barrel (with yellow)!

This one is a refinement of a concept I posted here about two years ago. I'll rehash what I said there, albeit with a few adjustments.

In the two years since I released that concept, I moved to Milwaukee. I love it here, and I adopted the Brewers as my second team. It helps that the Giants have no "bad" history with the team, save for the Prince Fielder bowling incident. Heck, I've grown kind of fond of the moment. I like going to Miller Park, as it's a pretty laid-back facility (compared to AT&T Park) with plenty of sweet people. 

One of the things I've noticed about Milwaukee (aside from the polite, laid back people and all the cool places around the town) is that people here bleeping love the royal/yellow color scheme for the Brewers. I see it everywhere, with the current look getting relatively little attention. What I've also noticed is that people love Owgust, the Beer Barrelman. It's not to the same level as the Ball-in-Glove, but it's close. I've never been keen on the BiG, and my time in Milwaukee has not changed that. I don't dislike it, but I think its expiration date has passed. I've found that Owgust, in his many forms, is more adaptable and speaks more to the team name. So, I've taken it upon myself to give the Brewers a look that blends the club's history with the American Association Brewers' aesthetics (Thanks, @Gothamite and friends!).

I restored royal and yellow, albeit with a bit of a twist. I used the Dodgers and Cubs' shade of royal blue (294 C), to make a compromise with navy (the primary color of the American Association Brewers and of the Major League team for the past 23 years). The yellow is proper 1235 C athletic gold, as the classic yellow was too pale.

The new primary logo is a "Borchert Field-ized" version of the current cap logo, as the block M has relevance to both the minor league and major league baseball history of Milwaukee. It gets both the city name and namesake across while looking classy. It may be a bit Michigan-ish, but the proportions and the barley leaf make it different enough. I tweaked it to have uniform serif sizes (an issue I had with previous versions). The secondary logo is @ren69's excellent cleanup of the American Association Brewers' Owgust logo, albeit in the new colors. It's playful, has modern line weights, and fitting for the team/city. The tertiary is Owgust in front of Wisconsin, with Owgusts' glove hovering over Milwaukee (my modernization of this logo).

mtzbIxN.png

The uniforms go for a classy look that fits with both team and civic history. The scripts are a modernization of the American Association Brewers' cursive wordmarks from the 1940's. It calls to mind the old styles of beer labeling around Milwaukee (which I've seen a lot of since moving here), while also paying homage to the history of baseball in the city. I adjusted the "s" in the "Brewers" script to look more like the 1940's version. The numbers are a modified slab-serif font, to tie in with the cap logo and with the aesthetic of some of those old beer signs. The scripts have enough heft for there to be less of a clash than with the Nationals. The "5" has a Packers-style notch. Owgust appears on the raglan sleeves, along with a simplified striping pattern (blue/yellow/blue, a sort of Braisher Stripe). The patterned trim of my first edition just looked garish to me and didn't fit a team of the Brewers' age. The sock stripes are the classic Packers' pattern, as I thought it worked well for the old-timey aesthetic.

nLQgdTe.png

The first alternates have a little flair to them. The first is a gold top with a gold-billed cap. It uses the hat insignia as a crest, like the 1911-37 minor league Brewers. The blue jersey is a recoloring of the home uniform, with the tertiary on the sleeve (as a "civic identifier"). I put a limit on their usage, for obvious reasons.

QhdVnY5.png

The throwback alternates are also fun. The first is a 1993 (because of the NOB) throwback with a few adjustments. These tweaks include a sleeve patch with the 1970-77 Owgust in front of the original Wisconsin logo. The socks bear the striping pattern of the 1969 Pilots, to discourage the Mariners from throwing back to that team. It's my way of satisfying the BiG fans. The second throwback is a recreation of the 1948 American Association Brewers' home uniform, which corrects some inaccuracies with the throwbacks. The cap M now looks like the original logo, while the jerseys gain a zipper front. I added Owgust to the sleeves, to enforce an informal visual continuity with the uniforms (cursive front, Owgust as a patch, etc.).

58zYlon.png

This identity for the Brewers takes elements from the history of both the major league club and the history of baseball in Milwaukee (the American Association Brewers and their affiliation with the Braves). It merges these bits into a cohesive identity that balances both modernity and vintage charm. The throwbacks/faux backs also aid this goal, as they carry across a visual continuity of script and logo design with references to various points of Milwaukee's baseball history (i.e., the BiG, pinstripes, the classic cursive wordmark, and the Braves affiliation). C+C is appreciated!

For the alternate take, we unlock the potential of a forgotten Brewers identity!

EDIT (6/22/2018): Here is an update, featuring a new Owgust logo!

I know I sound like a broken record, but what can I say? You've outdone yourself yet again. This is exactly how the Brewers should look and forever remain. It's better than anything they've ever worn. 

I'm also curious about the "forgotten identity." Like @KittSmith_95 I too hope it's an update of the '90s set. Always thought that was a really underrated look that had some questionable color choices. 

As a diehard Brewer fan, I'm salivating at this look. Brewers desperately need a bit of a re-brand and we've been motioning more towards the ball and glove look as of late. While I love that logo, I really like what you did: especially with the barrel man logo. I'm not a fan of the gold jerseys (I've just never been a fan of that color being the entire uni), but everything else is excellent. I do like @mcrosby's idea of using the BiG logo on the barrelman in some way. 

Archived