MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love everything you've done with the Royals, and the minor changes from your previous concept are all upgrades. 

Would you consider making the Monarchs tribute throwback slightly off-white? This would give it a vintage feel and also differentiate it even more from the home primary. 

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Love everything you've done with the Royals, and the minor changes from your previous concept are all upgrades. 

Would you consider making the Monarchs tribute throwback slightly off-white? This would give it a vintage feel and also differentiate it even more from the home primary. 

Thanks. I thought about going for a cream throwback, but then I realized that there wasn't enough contrast between the yellow and the off-white. Take a look at the Mariners' fauxback to see why it looks terrible. While the yellow and cream don't touch, they're still too close in terms of value/contrast to work with each other.

14 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Royals look fantastic! I'm really glad you lightened the purple, it really does wonders to complete the set. I also like how the simple yellow wordmark looks on the purple jersey. One suggestion I would make is to have the primary's 'KC' be yellow, in order to match all other applications.

Thank you! I think I'll add the yellow "KC" in the update.

Now, onto the current colors!

KANSAS CITY ROYALS, PT. II - A golden addition to Royal Blue

My main goal with this concept was to differentiate the Royals from the Dodgers, while still having Royal Blue as the main color. I used the shade of Royal Blue from 1969-2001, alongside a metallic (for embroidery) and flat (for print) shades of gold. I based my color balance around the current iteration of the gold-centric alternates. There is no powder blue in the color scheme, as I felt that powder and metallic gold didn't mesh at all.

SGPNqiN.png

The home and road uniforms carry over a lot of the tweaks from the purple/yellow set (i.e. striping that highlights the accent color, adjusted "Kansas City" script, etc.). The road uniform has a special touch, as the grey has a powder blue tint. It's an idea that @the admiral originally advocated:

...and one that I suggested for @MJD7's series (which he pulled off really well):

I thought it was subtle way to pay tribute to the powder blue days. 

rx5Mbww.png

The alternates are decidedly different from my main concept. The front number/NOB on the blue jersey are now white, as making all of the lettering gold looked too gaudy. The Negro League tribute set is a gestalt of the 1942 and 1945 uniforms, complete with the heart patch from the 1942 set (recreated with a modified heart from Wikimedia Commons). 

87y3bWr.png

The Royals don't have to be Dodger clones. Rather, they can use metallic gold to their advantage to separate themselves. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, the Minnesota Twins!

The Royals look great in their classic colors, and that heritage alt is gorgeous. 

Looking at it again, I actually think you should do what you did with the blue alt on the purple alt from Part I and make the front number white. 

Keep up the awesome work!

On 7/16/2017 at 3:53 PM, coco1997 said:

The Royals look great in their classic colors, and that heritage alt is gorgeous. 

Looking at it again, I actually think you should do what you did with the blue alt on the purple alt from Part I and make the front number white. 

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks. I'll incorporate that into an update (given the patch and sock stripe designs)!

Now, onto a concept that's sure to piss several people off!

MINNESOTA TWINS, PT. I - Completing the Target Field-ization

Let's get this one out of the way; I don't like the "classic" TC logo. I'll explain:

On 6/25/2017 at 11:39 AM, SFGiants58 said:

While I like the idea behind the Twins' "TC" logo, the actual logo is not a well-designed mark.

The "wishbone C" is overused (and should have been dropped in the 1987 redesign), the width difference between the "T" and "C" is a little distracting, and the red doesn't stand out enough from the navy background of the caps. I wish the team had touched it up during the 1987 redesign and tweaked it again during the move to Target Field. Basically, turn it into @the admiral's top-notch concept:

(Link to his concept, with uniforms further down on the page)

The other thing that makes me despise the current "TC" logo is how defensive Twins fans get about it (look at the response to Admiral's redesign). They swear that it's "untouchable" and that it can't change because "it's been there from the start." Guys, if other teams can change up classic logos without sacrificing their "spirit" (i.e. Cardinals - football and baseball, Orioles, Blue Jays, Vikings, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Blues, and a whole host of college teams), then so can the Twins.

Said negative reaction to the idea of changing the TC into a more cohesive and "modern" logo included such gems as these:

Spoiler
On 11/4/2014 at 0:11 PM, jujubeans said:

As a Twins fan, the interlocked TC is untouchable. It's the one piece of Twins imagery that has remained the same for 50+ years, even when they wore the M hats it was on the sleeves.

Part of my trepidation with adding gold to the home hats is that as far as I'm concerned they're perfect as is.

On 11/4/2014 at 1:56 PM, MNTwins said:

It really isn't touchable. For all the reasons jujubeans said. The color and border style could change, but switching to the one you posted with the different 'C' would really be a slap in the face to Twins tradition and fans à la the Islanders Fisherman logo fiasco.

On 11/4/2014 at 2:24 PM, Luke_Gagnon said:

I don't understand any type of assertion that the TC logo is not untouchable. If the Twins were to alter that mark at all, even casual fans of the sport and team here in MN would react to it. Any suggestion otherwise (especially by those who don't understand the culture of the Twins nearly as much as OnWis, jujubeans, and MNTwins) is quite honestly baffling to me

On 11/4/2014 at 2:53 PM, jujubeans said:

I've never heard anyone complain that the red C is unreadable, or that they think it's Cincinnati when there's a big honking T going through the middle (they also don't confuse the Reds and the Chicago Bears even though they have almost identical C's.)

50 years of history says the TC stays how it is. Hands off!

I was surprised with how defensive some Twins fans get when you dare suggest that the TC isn't a perfect logo. Guys, just because an insignia has been around for a long time doesn't mean it can't change with the times. Then again, when you consider how some Twins fans wish for the Wild to take on the North Stars' name and steal the North Stars' mediocre history away from the (Stanley Cup-winning) Dallas Stars, such nasty attitudes don't seem out of place. Also, people will try to "fix" @the admiral's concept and proceed to miss the point of it (i.e. establishing a consistent color distribution and cleaning up the logo's details). I liked admiral's solution to the Twins' identity issue (i.e. consistent script fonts and tails and a navy/white/red colorway with no red text or alternates) and his TC logo, so I sought to perfect it. 

My first attempt did not go over well. My logo had the same inconsistent weights I maligned the old TC for using, and the top bar of the "T" (taken from the janky throwback script) looked dreadful. For my second take, I used the 1987/2010-present wordmark's "T" and made all of the line weights consistent.I used a wider slab-serif "C," for better balance with the "T." The outlines are now layered, to make the interlocking clear. It keeps the dimensions of the current logo, while also eliminating the strikes against it. Said strikes are the red "C" blurring into navy backgrounds and distracting from the navy "T," inconsistent line weights, and the presence of the Reds' "Wishbone C" logo - which should be the Reds' and Bears' logo alone. Here is a comparison between my latest update and the previous iterations of the insignia.

One thing I did keep from my recent concept was the redesign of the "Twins" script to match the cursive lettering on the beautiful road uniforms better. However, I tweaked it further to include the T's top bar from the 1987/2010-present wordmark. It helps to tie the set together, while also making for more fluid lines. With these changes, the "Target Field-ization" of the Twins' identity (read: modernization of the 1961-71 uniforms and incorporation of small elements of the Metrodome-era look - like the top bar of the "T" and presence of navy alternates) is complete. Here is a comparison of the scripts. I've also lightened the red, so it shows up more in contrast with the navy.

The logos return from my previous concept (the Minnesota primary and the cursive "M"). I used Rockwell Bold for the wordmark, to link it to the TC. The state logo brings back yellow, and the cursive "M" has a new colorway.

rdXOKLz.png

The uniforms have not changed much. I restored the pinstripes at home, added a tail to the "Minnesota" script (I hate the underlines), and and placed the Minnesota primary on both jerseys. The home uniform ditches its sock stripes, as they do not pair well with pinstripes (the White Sox are the lone exception). I tweaked the thickness of the sock stripes on the roadie, which draw inspiration from the Vikings' classic sleeve stripes. The number font is the same "Varsity Classic A" as the Royals concept because I like it more than the "Block with Serifs" font that the Twins use.

2PDqPkB.png

The alternates feature a few surprises. The navy alternate now uses the "M" logo as a sleeve patch (as a city/state signifier - the primary didn't look right on the uniform), and has pinstripe-less pants at home. The road faux-back addresses my issue with the Twins franchise, which is their disinterest in acknowledging their history as the Washington Senators MK. I/AL Nationals. This franchise won the 1924 World Series, netted the 1933 American League Pennant, and featured Walter Johnson - arguably the best pitcher to play the game (even by modern standards). They deserve a little tribute from the Twins. So, I made a tribute to the rise shadow/"Damn Yankees" uniforms of 1956-58 (my favorite Senators/Nationals uniforms). I also gave the uniform pinstripes and an "M" cap, as a tribute to the Twins' 1987-2009 road pinstripes (a "guilty pleasure" uniform of mine).

ntrJC4N.png

I also prepared the uniform on an action template, for a better illustration.

LCmAHGd.png

I get that changing the TC is not a popular decision, but I stand by it. Just because it has been around for five decades does not mean that it is a perfect logo. The new TC forms an important part of the Target Field-ization, alongside the cleaned-up scripts, consistent color balance, and subtle tributes to the Metrodome/1987 and 1991 and the franchise's history in DC. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

For the alternate take, a new color scheme and a historical spin on the Twins' name!

Wow! I really love this set for my beloved Twins. That TC is easily my favorite iteration I've seen, and I've come around to really love the primarily navy look with white accents. It's funny, since I used to want the Twins to be mainly red, and now I've turned a complete 180. I also love the updated scripts.

Only one thing I would suggest, to maybe put the TC as a patch on the alternate if you don't like the primary, since there's at least some precedence for that in the past and it doesn't look as plain. I also wasn't a fan of the 2nd alternate when I first saw it, but seeing your reasoning behind it I admit is pretty neat.

This is easily one of my favorites you've put out so far (with a little bit of bias), can't wait for Part II!

Great update on Minnesota. Love that navy alt with white script; I've always thought that would be an upgrade over their current navy alt with red script (and differentiate theirs from the Indians'). I really like the idea behind that Senators fauxback, and while it's a little Yankee-esque, the red outline and 3-D element help set it apart. 

As someone who's long felt the Twins could use a new color scheme, I really can't wait for Part 2!

Putting aside the TC logo (which, for all of its flaws, provides a more solid and symmetrical look than the flowier logo in my opinion) I have a couple of thoughts:

1) The gray in the primary muddies up the logo too much; replacing it with yellow may make the logo pop a little bit more. 

2) Something's bugging me with the hats. I think it's that there's very little white in the away uniform, so the amount of white from the hat clashes with the rest of the uniform.  In this case, it might be better to have a red logo with white outline (although using the classic TC would help curb the overpowering of white ;)). 

If I can jump in here, the C is the way it is, at least as I intended it, because 

1) the Twins needed a style of letter C to call their own, with the Cubs having a geometric sans-serif C, the Reds having the wishbone, and Cleveland having the serif block letter. I gave them a C like the one on the Blackhawks secondary. 

2) Slab-serif has a place in the Twins' world as you can see on this old logo:

wxso4qrtmvdvg6iz2pxilw8h7.png

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Um, for calling me out for how "worked up" I got about changing the TC you just spent several paragraphs defending your changes...Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

I still like your concept though. I think red letters with a white outline would look better for the caps, but you're apparently really disdainful of opposing viewpoints so do what you want anyways.

16 hours ago, jujubeans said:

Um, for calling me out for how "worked up" I got about changing the TC you just spent several paragraphs defending your changes...Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

I still like your concept though. I think red letters with a white outline would look better for the caps, but you're apparently really disdainful of opposing viewpoints so do what you want anyways.

I'm a wordy guy, who enjoys explaining out all of what I do as a means of justifying it. I could have reduced it to a few sentences, but I like exploring the process a bit more.

The reason I called out you (and several other Twins fans) for getting "worked up" was because of how closed-minded you guys were to the mere suggestion that the TC is not a perfect logo. Screaming "hands off" does not strike me as the action of somebody who has an open mind to changes in their team's identity. Rather, it makes it look like you're unable to engage in a thoughtful dialogue on aesthetics.

I wouldn't call myself disdainful of opposing viewpoints at all. Heck, I like incorporating updates into my work, and I like people challenging my stances. It gives me a chance to understand where they're coming from and why they think that way. It also helps to nuance my viewpoints, so that I may express them better. Take a look at how I came around to the name "Anaheim Angels" after years of being pro-"Los Angeles Angels."

However, I loathe when fans insist that any logo is untouchable and aren't open to any suggestions of alterations. I'm open to people switching things (read: any elements of the team's identity) up for the Giants, and I consider them to have one of the best looks in the game. Twins fans could do with a little loosening up (see how MJD7 has opened up to changing the TC). Maybe I got pissy in expressing my distaste, but that's only because I noticed hardheaded attitude more in Twins fans than in other fanbases.

I apologize if I came off as confrontational and for adding that North Stars dig.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:50 PM, MJD7 said:

Wow! I really love this set for my beloved Twins. That TC is easily my favorite iteration I've seen, and I've come around to really love the primarily navy look with white accents. It's funny, since I used to want the Twins to be mainly red, and now I've turned a complete 180. I also love the updated scripts.

Only one thing I would suggest, to maybe put the TC as a patch on the alternate if you don't like the primary, since there's at least some precedence for that in the past and it doesn't look as plain. I also wasn't a fan of the 2nd alternate when I first saw it, but seeing your reasoning behind it I admit is pretty neat.

This is easily one of my favorites you've put out so far (with a little bit of bias), can't wait for Part II!

Thanks! Yeah, the "M" doesn't work that well as a patch. However, just putting the "TC" on the uniform is a little too simple/redundant for my liking. I have a feeling you'll like my solution. :)

21 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

Putting aside the TC logo (which, for all of its flaws, provides a more solid and symmetrical look than the flowier logo in my opinion) I have a couple of thoughts:

1) The gray in the primary muddies up the logo too much; replacing it with yellow may make the logo pop a little bit more. 

2) Something's bugging me with the hats. I think it's that there's very little white in the away uniform, so the amount of white from the hat clashes with the rest of the uniform.  In this case, it might be better to have a red logo with white outline (although using the classic TC would help curb the overpowering of white ;)). 

I thought about having yellow, but that would make the logo look messier than it did before. The silver allows the ball/script to stand out a bit more. As for the amount of white on the hat, that's why the road uniform has those large sock stripes. That's where the white comes from on the uniform. Besides, you see white cap logos on uniforms without white/barely any white all the time (i.e. Dodgers, Braves, Cardinals, etc.). Increasing the amount of red makes them look too much like the Red Sox and Indians (the navy/red teams need to have diverse color distributions).

I figured that the TC and the color distribution wouldn't be popular with everybody, and that's OK.

Anyway, alternate take time!

TWIN CITIES TWINS, PT. II - A historical twist and regional colors

I dislike teams using state names as identifiers. While I make an exception for Minnesota (due to the nature of Minneapolis and St. Paul), these alternate takes provide an opportunity for some experimentation. I decided to use that racist jackass Calvin Griffith's planned name for the Minnesota Twins, the Twin Cities Twins. While that name may be one of the most redundant city/team names ever (edging out Los Angeles Angels), I wanted to see in action. 

I also wanted to do a blue/green color scheme for the team (as these alternate takes are all about "death to navy/red"). @MJD7 has done a good job with royal/kelly, @dsaline97 used the navy/kelly colorway (click "open image in new tab" to stick it to Photobucket), and I have a little history with this color scheme as well, even if it had the "janky" script. I opted for Forest Green (same shade from my Red Sox alternate take) and Light Blue (used by the '97-'04 Utah Jazz). I distributed the colors in the same manner as the 1987-2009 uniforms, with green and blue being co-dominant. This colorway separates them from my Stingrays concept.

The primary mark is a merger of the 1961-86 sleeve patch (see admiral's post above) and the state logo. I also added a roundel, with the names of the Twin Cities and the founding date. 

9m1tiDW.png

The uniforms are pretty much the same as the first concept, but with the colors swapped out and the addition of the "Twin Cities" cursive script (made with letters from the "Minnesota" script and the "C" from Fenway Park JF).

xby3llI.png

The alternates are pretty simple. The blue jersey has a blue-crowned cap in tribute to the 1976-86 home cap, while the green top has the "Twin Cities" wordmark and the tertiary logo (to work on both home and road settings). The sleeve patch will also appear on the navy/red update.

qjuXirK.png

While I'm not a big fan of the "Twin Cities Twins" name, I still thought the moniker and the color scheme were made for a interesting "alternate takes." C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, the Oakland Athletics!

Still not on board with the updated "TC" logo... leave it as is or move on to something different. Maybe a non-serifed C would change my mind though. I really dig the Twin Cities Twins concept. I love location names that are neither cities nor states (Golden State, Tampa Bay, etc.). Great work!

ALykGdZ.png

Woah! I was not expecting the green to be nearly that dark, but I love it. Although I probably like the state-shaped primary logo more, this is not a bad compromise in the slightest. The set as a whole gives me a UNC vibe, which I really love.

I think you could take it further if you wanted by making the set primarily light blue, starting with making the alternate cap the primary and removing the pinstripes from the home. That's just my personal taste, but regardless this is my favorite set you've put out thusfar.

The Twins turned out really nice, but the wordmarks and numbers on the home jersey are a little muddied-looking. I think you should invert the colors, making them green with light blue trim. 

Regardless of what you end up doing, I look forward to Oakland!

Archived