MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

It's your concept man just say "hey I know this is unpopular with some Twins fans but I wanted to see how it looked." If people disagree--so what? I can respect your thoughts and decision making on how you think the TC can be improved while still disagreeing with you and not finding it to my taste. I didn't attack you personally in any of my comments, and I gave my own reasons for why I think the current logo of the team I've rooted for for 20 years should stay as is. Obviously we disagree, but did that warrant digging up years-old posts and going on a pre-emptive tirade? And you still want to persist in calling me close-minded? If you hadn't said anything I probably would have commented that while I prefer the original TC this is one of the better alternatives I've seen--I think it's the fact that it keeps the interlocking letters where previous concepts flattened them together.

I like the Twin Cities script a lot.

I appreciate the apology, and I think you're a talented designer, but honestly I probably won't comment on your concepts again. Best of luck to you.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the green/blue Twins more than I thought I would, but IMO, the scripts/numbers on the regular home and road should be green with blue outlines instead of the other way around. They'd be easier to read that way.

I'd still prefer purple and gold for the Twins over any other color scheme, though.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That color scheme is Minnesotan af; I love it. I wish that's what the Twolves would have gone with.  Maybe the blue could be a little less brighter and more powdery, but that's really a small gripe.  I like this concept a lot more, as I think the colors are much more balanced throughout the set in my opinion, not to mention that I would buy a shirt with that tertiary logo in a heartbeat. 

On 7/20/2017 at 5:33 PM, MJD7 said:

Woah! I was not expecting the green to be nearly that dark, but I love it. Although I probably like the state-shaped primary logo more, this is not a bad compromise in the slightest. The set as a whole gives me a UNC vibe, which I really love.

I think you could take it further if you wanted by making the set primarily light blue, starting with making the alternate cap the primary and removing the pinstripes from the home. That's just my personal taste, but regardless this is my favorite set you've put out thusfar.

Thanks! Going light blue-centric was a last minute decision, and I think a super light blue look would make for a fine little experiment (for after the AL is done).

On 7/20/2017 at 6:14 PM, coco1997 said:

The Twins turned out really nice, but the wordmarks and numbers on the home jersey are a little muddied-looking. I think you should invert the colors, making them green with light blue trim. 

Regardless of what you end up doing, I look forward to Oakland!

On 7/21/2017 at 9:03 AM, Lights Out said:

I like the green/blue Twins more than I thought I would, but IMO, the scripts/numbers on the regular home and road should be green with blue outlines instead of the other way around. They'd be easier to read that way.

I'd still prefer purple and gold for the Twins over any other color scheme, though.

Thanks guys! I'm going to be making an "inverted" version of the set in an update. 

@Lights Out, I liked your purple/gold Twins concept. Those harlequin BP jerseys were fantastic! If I hadn't used that color scheme on the Royals, I would've probably had the Twins wear it (because purple and yellow's contrast would have made an old-style "TC" logo look fantastic). 

On 7/21/2017 at 9:11 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Green and blue Twins look really nice. I like the idea of a "Twin Cities" jersey, I'd consider going with that on the blue/red version for the alternate rather than "Twins."

I thought about that, and I think I can mock it up at some point. I'd probably use the "M" hat with it, to avoid redundancy.

On 7/21/2017 at 9:15 AM, scottyeagle said:

That color scheme is Minnesotan af; I love it. I wish that's what the Twolves would have gone with.  Maybe the blue could be a little less brighter and more powdery, but that's really a small gripe.  I like this concept a lot more, as I think the colors are much more balanced throughout the set in my opinion, not to mention that I would buy a shirt with that tertiary logo in a heartbeat. 

Thank you! Funny thing is, I've done a Timberwolves concept with a similar color scheme (it's my favorite NBA concept I've produced). The strong blue was part of my attempt to have a blue that contrasted better with a grey/white background, and yeah, a lighter powder would have been a better choice in some applications. 

Also, I offer a general apology for my dickish tirade a few posts ago. It was ill thought-out of me, and I am sorry. Anyway, Oak-town time!

OAKLAND ATHLETICS, PT. I - The Kings of Kelly

The A's have rarely had a bad look in their history, and I love their current uniforms (the sock stripes of the 1960's uniforms enhanced them a bunch). However, I also love the Kelly Green of the 1960's-early 1980's. I'm torn between whether or not I want them to switch back to Kelly Green or stick with Forest Green. Kelly won out, on the condition that the A's could own that color in baseball. I've already done an A's concept with the same basic idea (current identity mixed with Kelly - Pantone 349 C from my Stars and Supersonics concepts those curious), but I felt I could go further. 

The elephant crest (which is still white, per the origin story of the logo) is now the primary, and I've dumped the roundel in favor of an Old English "O," done up in the style of the gorgeous 1968 wordmark (I teased it here). A bit more "Oakland" in the identity is a good move, given the A's "Rooted in Oakland" campaign this year. I've tweaked the "A's" logo a bit, to make it more narrow and more receptive to outlines, without it being all "gangly" like the current logo. Here are comparisons of the new logo with previous ones, in outlined and non-outlined forms.

LYuMGXY.png

The uniforms from my previous concepts return, with the updated "A's" insignia. I also carried over the simplified Old English "O" onto the "Oakland" script (as others have done, like Lights Out), for consistency with the home wordmark. The model number is #35, for Rickey Henderson's original uniform number with the team. 

J0ZNxoa.png

The alternates have also received a small update, with the new "A's" logo on the jerseys and the Old English "O" cap on the green alternate. I wanted to do something like that for an alternate cap, as a way to get one city-centric cap into the set and have some city signifier for the alt's use on the road.

ym5qssi.png

Kelly Green needs more exposure in sports, and the A's are the perfect team to carry the Kelly torch! C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

For the alternate take, you'll get Forest Green and Athletic Gold with an Oakland-centric twist!

It is so good. Unlike the Ottawa Senators, you've figured out how to navigate the O-monogram issue (though to be fair, the A's have an easier path to it than the Sens do). The Old English O in the Oakland script is a perfect example of a small change that makes a big difference. Kelly green is beautiful, especially on the alts, and the Athletics home/Oakland road/A's thirds is the perfect distribution because of how the colored jerseys call back to the old Finley A's. The classic home hat on the road, an obvious fix. And the white elephant is white again! You'd think this would never have to be an issue in real life, but then again there are the "Big Blue" New York Giants wearing a preponderance of red, white, and grey.

I think I like the wider A better (and in turn, I like this middle way better than the narrow one that the A's use sometimes) but it's the kind of modification you don't truly notice till they're side by side. The piping home and away I can take or leave, leaning pretty well toward leave, because I appreciate how immaculate the A's, Dodgers, and Cardinals look in their home whites, but the addition is no dealbreaker, and piping on the colored jerseys is of course very much in play. I'm not sure about the standalone white elephant as a primary. I can't shake the feeling that it needs a roundel with "Oakland Athletics" in it. Being rooted in Oakland does seem to call for combining team iconography with the name of the city. Maybe I'm just used to the roundel the A's have used for so long, well before the trend.

But I'd say overall you did a great job fine-tuning a well-established baseball identity into something even better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/22/2017 at 1:54 AM, the admiral said:

It is so good. Unlike the Ottawa Senators, you've figured out how to navigate the O-monogram issue (though to be fair, the A's have an easier path to it than the Sens do). The Old English O in the Oakland script is a perfect example of a small change that makes a big difference. Kelly green is beautiful, especially on the alts, and the Athletics home/Oakland road/A's thirds is the perfect distribution because of how the colored jerseys call back to the old Finley A's. The classic home hat on the road, an obvious fix. And the white elephant is white again! You'd think this would never have to be an issue in real life, but then again there are the "Big Blue" New York Giants wearing a preponderance of red, white, and grey.

I think I like the wider A better (and in turn, I like this middle way better than the narrow one that the A's use sometimes) but it's the kind of modification you don't truly notice till they're side by side. The piping home and away I can take or leave, leaning pretty well toward leave, because I appreciate how immaculate the A's, Dodgers, and Cardinals look in their home whites, but the addition is no dealbreaker, and piping on the colored jerseys is of course very much in play. I'm not sure about the standalone white elephant as a primary. I can't shake the feeling that it needs a roundel with "Oakland Athletics" in it. Being rooted in Oakland does seem to call for combining team iconography with the name of the city. Maybe I'm just used to the roundel the A's have used for so long, well before the trend.

But I'd say overall you did a great job fine-tuning a well-established baseball identity into something even better.

Thanks! My solution to the Sens' problem was to cram an illustration of the Peace Tower into it. 

I'm thinking of adding an "OAKLAND" wordmark around the ball in the elephant logo.

Thanks for the C+C guys, and now it's time for the alternate take!

OAKLAND OAKS, PT. II - PCL love in Forest Green and Athletic Gold

While I love the A's in Kelly Green, I also love them in Forest Green. I like the way it contrasts with the gold (to the point of not needing outlines), and it has more of an old-fashioned look to it (if that makes sense). In trying to find a way to have Forest Green in the A's uniform set, I opted to revive the Pacific Coast League Oakland Oaks!

I'm a retro PCL nerd (which is part of the reason why I had a hard time letting go of the "Los Angeles Angels" name), and I've always liked the various Oaks looks from their history. Therefore, the premise of this concept is that the A's changed their name upon relocating from Kansas City (even though the "Athletics" name is the most portable nickname in sports). The Oak's history with Old English "O" logos made them match up well with the Athletics, as well as their brief flirtation with green in their color scheme.

I used the Forest Green from the Stingrays, as the A's Forest Green shade (3308 C) is too blue-ish for my tastes. The oak tree on a hill (for the Oakland Hills) with the Old English O is the focus of the roundel, with acorns on the side and Carton font in the border. The tertiary logo features an acorn in a diamond pattern.

nxkbf3V.png

The uniforms aren't all that different from my A's concept. I modded the "Oakland" script with the "s" from the "Athletics" wordmark, complete with tail. The PCL Oaks used a short script with a tail, so I thought it worked here as well. The caps draw inspiration from the A's 1994-2013 road cap. While it was a bad cap for the A's (given the storied history of the home cap), it fit perfectly for the green-heavy Oaks. I also opted to use green cleats, as white shoes didn't fit with the identity.

xxpz7RC.png

The alternates are similar to the 2011-2013 A's alternates, with a recreation of the A's current home cap on the home alt and an outline-less road alt. 

lRzM9bO.png

Merging the A's and the Oaks was the perfect way to make a Forest Green-heavy concept, which honored the history of both clubs. C+C is much appreciated, as always.

Up next, the Seattle Mariners!

Man, those are gorgeous. What a brilliant idea to adapt the old PCL Oaks identity using the A's current color scheme! The primary and tertiary logos are just perfect.

Based on the preview from the AL West teaser, I can't wait to see the Mariners!

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I know the NL is a ways away but any chance we get the Denver Zephyrs Grizzlies as the alternate-universe Colorado Rockies?

Fixed it for ya

YOZXkBG.png?1

Good execution overall and there are some really good things here.

I'll talk some about my team...

TRADITIONAL COLORS

The really big hit here is the road wordmark with the tail.  I like their current road uniform and was OK with the underline, but that tail looks really, really nice.  The home wordmark works nicely too.  Most fans would not distinguish it from the original.  I prefer the original, but I can't quite articulate why...I guess because this one's a bit taller and narrower?  But it's a small point and both work.

I understand why a lot of folks are on board with a "TC" logo that incorporates the wordmark "T."  I've personally never been able to adjust to it.  But I do like that both letters are the same color, as it corrects that non-contrasting "C" issue (though I prefer red on white, even if Boston and the blue St. Louis cap use it).  So I guess I am with you on "the contrast issue" but not on the "matching the wordmark" issue.  Whether this is harder for a Twins fan to adjust to than the rest of you, I am not sure, but both the "T" and the "C" are tough for me to swallow. 

The "M" is not working for me as either a cap or sleeve logo.  I guess I'd abandon it. 

The home uniform is solid overall, as is the road uniform...both would be top half in MLB (road maybe top 10).  The blue alternate works (though might work better with red script).  I don't think the white pants are needed...it could just be worn with primary pants.  I'm not feeling the gray "TC" uniform.  I think my issue is all the white space kinda sticks out. I could see the other three jerseys on the MLB field.  I'm struggling with this one.  I personally think a one-color version of the current "TC" and removal of the "M" would make the Twins a great-looking team.

ALTERNATE HISTORY

I generally don't like seeing people trying to change the Twins colors, but if, per alternate history, that had always been the way, then it looks good.

I like the color scheme. "Twin Cities Twins" would be a bad name but you've made a little bit of lemonade with it.  The "Minneapolis St. Paul" tertiary is a nice touch.  And as much as I hate the name, that wordmark looks really, really nice (I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it).  My above comments regarding the "TC" stand, but it's still solid overall.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 7/23/2017 at 0:37 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! My solution to the Sens' problem was to cram an illustration of the Peace Tower into it. 

I'm thinking of adding an "OAKLAND" wordmark around the ball in the elephant logo.

Thanks for the C+C guys, and now it's time for the alternate take!

OAKLAND OAKS, PT. II - PCL love in Forest Green and Athletic Gold

While I love the A's in Kelly Green, I also love them in Forest Green. I like the way it contrasts with the gold (to the point of not needing outlines), and it has more of an old-fashioned look to it (if that makes sense). In trying to find a way to have Forest Green in the A's uniform set, I opted to revive the Pacific Coast League Oakland Oaks!

I'm a retro PCL nerd (which is part of the reason why I had a hard time letting go of the "Los Angeles Angels" name), and I've always liked the various Oaks looks from their history. Therefore, the premise of this concept is that the A's changed their name upon relocating from Kansas City (even though the "Athletics" name is the most portable nickname in sports). The Oak's history with Old English "O" logos made them match up well with the Athletics, as well as their brief flirtation with green in their color scheme.

I used the Forest Green from the Stingrays, as the A's Forest Green shade (3308 C) is too blue-ish for my tastes. The oak tree on a hill (for the Oakland Hills) with the Old English O is the focus of the roundel, with acorns on the side and Carton font in the border. The tertiary logo features an acorn in a diamond pattern.

nxkbf3V.png

The uniforms aren't all that different from my A's concept. I modded the "Oakland" script with the "s" from the "Athletics" wordmark, complete with tail. The PCL Oaks used a short script with a tail, so I thought it worked here as well. The caps draw inspiration from the A's 1994-2013 road cap. While it was a bad cap for the A's (given the storied history of the home cap), it fit perfectly for the green-heavy Oaks. I also opted to use green cleats, as white shoes didn't fit with the identity.

xxpz7RC.png

The alternates are similar to the 2011-2013 A's alternates, with a recreation of the A's current home cap on the home alt and an outline-less road alt. 

lRzM9bO.png

Merging the A's and the Oaks was the perfect way to make a Forest Green-heavy concept, which honored the history of both clubs. C+C is much appreciated, as always.

Up next, the Seattle Mariners!

Awesome. Make the tree from the Oakland city flag and it's about perfect

On 7/23/2017 at 6:31 PM, the admiral said:

I know the NL is a ways away but any chance we get the Denver Zephyrs as the alternate-universe Colorado Rockies?

You got that right! Judging by your posts on the Rangers, I have a feeling you'll like my alternate take on them.

I'm sorry @JH42XCC, but there's only room for one bear team. Besides, Memphis in the NBA and the AAA Frezno Grizzlies rock the name better than anybody else. I prefer unique names when I can get them. 

On 7/24/2017 at 2:48 PM, woody86 said:

Awesome. Make the tree from the Oakland city flag and it's about perfect

I don't usually like ripping off flag designs, but I'll give the Oakland flag tree a whirl in the roundel.

SEATTLE MARINERS, PT. I - Evolution and double teal

While I like the Mariners' current set, I've long advocated for the team to treat teal like the Orioles treat orange. Make it the primary color of the scripts, numbers, and NOB's, while also wearing the gorgeous teal-billed hat on both the home and road uniforms. I even made a concept with that idea in mind. However, I realized that there were other problems with the team.

I really didn't want to have another navy team in the league. I wanted to go with a dark slate blue and a minty teal, but I threw that out after I realized there wasn't enough contrast. So, I opted to try something new - double teal (something I've loved since @Go Red Sox!'s Sharks concept). I suggested it in @Victormrey's thread, and I loved how it looked. A dark teal and a mint teal are the new colors, while silver sees its role lessened in the identity (the color contrast eliminates silver's necessity).

When @raysox pointed out the problems with that Friz Quadrata font (which was everywhere in 1990's sports branding, like Matrix), I had to change it up. I used a modified version of Badger Light (from my Pilots concept), swapping out the slab-serifs for sharp ones. It lines up with the team's history (the trident-era font), while also looking "cleaner" than Friz Quadrata. This was also the perfect opportunity to go for two-color wordmarks instead of three-color, as three is a bit much for the Mariners.

I also used this as an opportunity to hone the look, with some extensive help from @Go Red Sox! (thank you so much for your advice). Gone is the busy compass rose in the "S" and the imbalance of the "S" on the top and bottom serifs (I can't unsee it) as an anchor takes its place. It's nautical, while also being simpler. The compass rose returns for the secondary logo, featuring the skyline of Seattle from my Pilots concept (with the addition of Mt. Rainier from the 30th Anniversary patch) and the anchor. The teritary is a closeup on my modernized - and rightside up - trident (upside down tridents are bad luck, after all). I'm modeling the concept with the flat silver, as metallic silver looks terrible on computer displays.

wIVfwMc.png

The uniform template hasn't changed much from my previous concept, aside from the new colors and fonts. I went with the Dallas Stars' NOB font again, as I like its blockiness. In a touch inspired by @Lights Out, the trident appears on the top of the pants stripe

O7WeCyI.png

The alternates are also similar to my previous concept. I used white text instead of silver on the mint teal jersey (as silver is downplayed in my set), and the dark teal top now has the teritary logo and the standard cap.

ZwP8zXH.png

I added a recreation of the 1994-96 teal-crowned cap for use with the home whites (pairing it with the mint teal top was a little much). I also decided to dump the royal/yellow retro set (which misuses creme, has poor beveling in the compass rose, and it throws back to a beyond-crummy period of Seattle's baseball history). I replaced with a mint teal-centric fauxback to the 1955 PCL Seattle Rainiers (the last Seattle baseball team to win a championship). This way, the "retro brand" reinforces the color scheme and pays tribute to the vintage PCL.

PnwXUZN.png

It's an evolution of the Mariners' brand away from the 1990's, emphasizing new fonts and brighter/less "stock" colors. It also pays tribute to the history of Seattle baseball, in a subtle and tasteful way. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

For the alternate take, modernizing the Mariners in royal and yellow!

The Mariners look fantastic! Everything flows together very nicely, I especially like little touches such as the trident on the pants. One of my favorite aspects is how the teal cap looks with the home jersey, I've always loved that look. Great job!

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I don't usually like ripping off flag designs, but I'll give the Oakland flag tree a whirl in the roundel.

I think there are options. As a lifetime A's fan I would love to see either the flag or the seal oak. Plus it fits with the organizations commitment to stay in Oakland. I'm loving this series! You're doing such great work!

IMG_1907.PNG

That Mariners secondary is amazing.  Given the detail, it might be limited in its use, but it's really nice.

The tertiary jumped out to me as "cactus."  I feel like bringing back a trident almost has to be an "M."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived