MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/6/2017 at 9:26 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This Padres concept is a terrific update. It's brown and gold but still feels fresh and new rather than a straight throwback. Are my eyes deceiving me or did you use a slightly different grey for the roads? The arching on the scripts look terrific and really bring out the mission aspect. I'm also glad that you went with empty plackets and did not add additional piping. The extra negative space really gives those scripts room to thrive. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go search in vain for a decent fish taco. 

On 10/6/2017 at 1:42 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

That grey you used makes me think more teams should use different shades of grey on the road or making road jerseys tan/cream. I personally love this set, even though I'm a fan of the Brown/Orange look more than than Brown/Yellow as my mind immediately thinks of two things with those colours & that's the last thing I want a uniform to remind me of. I also like the fact you decided not to go for the Taco Bell cap here. 

Looking forward to Part 2..... I'm hoping that the Navy & Red throwback is where most of the new navy set is gong to get inspiration from, and that we do see another colour next to said Navy, weather it be Tan, Orange, Yellow, Light Blue, etc. But we'll see, won't we? 

Thanks guys! I used the 2004-10 sand color for the road uniform, which I always liked for the Padres. I even used it on both my Arizona Diamondbacks and Phoenix Snakes concepts, albeit paired with creme home uniforms. @KittSmith_95, I can see where you're coming from with the whole "fecal matter/urine" connection with brown/yellow. Still, I like it more than brown/orange, because it doesn't look like a division rival (Giants) and doesn't have a pro sports precedence (Browns/Ravens, expansion Browns). Still, brown/orange doesn't look bad on my design:

SD_LogoSheetBO.thumb.png.9830e64569fd6dcc373efdfbddb9bca0.png

As for the navy version, I'm debating on what I'll do with the secondary color. I think you'll like what I'll wind up with here.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:05 PM, neo_prankster said:

Very, very, very, very nice job on the Padres.

On 10/6/2017 at 10:08 AM, coco1997 said:

tenor.gif

As always, looking forward to the alternate take.

Thanks, guys!

21 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Padres look great! I love the sand road and the double-striping, those are both elements that just fit. I'm also glad you lightened the brown to where it is.

The only thing that I could suggest is that I like the wordmark font so much that it'd be cool to see a custom number font based off of it. Other than that, perfection.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the alternate take, personally I hope it ends up being navy/yellow.

Thanks! The font has a whole set of numbers, but I'm not that keen on them:

SD_HomeandRoadNewFont.thumb.png.937fa4f59dabd1252467f88f6d05f272.png

They're too bottom-heavy to work for me. A block font was a better idea, methinks. 

I'm thinking about navy/yellow (I advocated for it all the way back in 2014), but the Football Clippers debacle has made me reconsider it a bit. It's still a pretty (and unique in my series) color scheme, but it's too connected to the Chargers. Navy/orange is leading the charge so far, but I'm thinking of something special to do with it, so they don't look like the Tigers/Astros/Giants/Orioles.

21 hours ago, the admiral said:

The cleaned-up PCL script looks really good and may work better on the homes than the matching home script. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I say this because it would really bring home the retro character by using a PCL logo and the inaugural colors. Besides, it would be true-to-life for a Padres concept to have stuff not match. I'm not sure about mixed caps and vertical arching going together on the road script; either the O should be fully capitalized or everything should. 

I'm not sure about the notches on the serifs of the S in SD. Something looks off there. And I love the Swinging Friar and love the new primary, but I'm not sure the friar and the outline from the primary mesh together too well, even though your rationale makes perfect sense (it does present serious centering issues as a sleeve patch). They should each stand alone. 

Great brown and yellow concept; it's a huge leap from recoloring the 2004 logos and calling it a day. Again, perfect primary.

Thank you! I though about putting the PCL script on the home uniform (as the mismatched style has precedent with the PCL Padres), but I decided against it. They don't have the Mets' "merged teams" excuse, and I've already got enough teams with cursive scripts. That doesn't mean it looks bad, however. I kind of like it.

Nxmg5IH.png

I wanted to make the "O" match the "S" and "D," but it just looked awkward.

SD_RoadScriptTrial.png.292ebddd3eece6887f184feb936c30df.png

Besides, my version has PCL precedence, so it's not that bad. Think of it as capitalizing the "important" letters in each word, and "O" isn't as important as the initials "S" and "D."

I can see where you're coming from with thinking the serifs are "off" on the "S," but it's in keeping with the font and doesn't interfere with the "D" that much. As for the Friar and the outline, it was the best way to get that Mission-style architecture in with the cartoon logo. I would argue that it works (as both have some sharp edges with ample curves), but I can see why it's not ideal. In my update, I'll relegate an un-outlined Swinging Friar to the yellow jersey. The primary is a stronger logo, as the Mission-style architecture beats out a mascot-with-equipment logo (which feature on at least one jersey for 25% of my "main" concepts). 

I too dislike when people just recolor the 2004 logos/font/scripts in brown/yellow and call it a day. The identity package was not built for a saturated brown/yellow, but navy and a pale secondary color. You have a "beachy" identity paired with a "dark sunset" color scheme, and that doesn't work. The Railmen Astros in navy/orange is another example of this incongruity, one that the 2013 redesign thankfully killed. 

18 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

One idea is to go with last year's white and yellow style cap logo. It looked good and it'd tie in with the PCL and 90s throwbacks.

Thanks! While I thought about that, I decided against it. It makes the logo harder to discern from a distance, and it's meant to tie with drop shadow, at least on the 1991-2003 uniforms:

1hft7s2fbsydsegif9co5umxj.gif apas7p9kkzrf0ioagafarfd58.gif hg6mcbonifv1fegho3i75h5l7.gif 4kkg7p0upangmdyptwoho4beb.gif

In all of these scripts, the orange elements descend towards the lower right. The cap logo reflects this orange outline and shadow going towards the lower right (with white separating the orange from navy). Without the drop shadow, or the white outline between the two main colors, the dual-colored logo doesn't work as well. I'm going to consider using it in some capacity on the alternate take (as I get its importance to the fans), but I'm not keen on it.

Anyway, here's a mini-update with redistributed patches and a correction on the PCL alternate. My first version had the Padres using McAuliffe/Red Sox number font, even though the PCL Padres never used it. So, I've opted for a period-appropriate block-with-serifs font instead.

zXjlZ6i.png

PT1lUzO.png

J1L7wte.png

jtz7RXX.png

That looks a bit cleaner, and emphasizes the Padres' Mission-style aesthetic in a more unique way than the Friar. While I still like the Friar-with-outline, dropping it does improve the look.

Yea, I can see now why you went with the block numbers. The custom font to me doesn't look bad, with a few adjustments it could work, but it's just very right-heavy it seems. It reminds me a lot of the Vikings number font.

If there is any direction the Padres should be going in for the long haul, this would be it! No other team is as deeply intertwined with brown and yellow (with some sand mixed in) than the Padres, and as a resident of the state John Moores (former Padres owner) once called home when he owned the team, I think it was a mistake for San Diego to not adopt such a winning combination the moment Moores took over the team from Tom Werner, who is such an expert at finding national anthem singers...

Thanks, guys, and it's alternate take time!

SAN DIEGO PADRES, PT. II - Surf's Up in Navy

I'm more open to the Padres wearing navy than most, especially when the most successful years in team history came during their navy years. However, the navy/white look has got to go, as it has no real personality. So what would replace it? Navy/orange, in particular is a favorite of mine and many others, given its association with the 1998 playoff run and "modern" take on the PCL-style wordmarks. However, the multi-colored "SD" needed more breathing room for each letter, the scripts had nasty-looking drop shadow (see my earlier post), and navy/orange made them look too much like the Tigers (and maybe the Astros). In approaching this concept, I wanted an aesthetic that could evoke the "beachy" look of the 2004-10 identity, with homages to the 1998 and PCL uniforms and a unique spin on navy/orange. I think I've found it!

The color scheme is navy-dominant, with both light blue (taken from the All-Star Game logo) and orange. The new colorway separates them from the other navy/orange teams in the majors and evokes the wavy look of the 2004-10 set. The primary logo features the Swingin' Friar in a historically-accurate gray robe, with black keylines. He swings in front of a wave pattern. The text is Badger Light, a lightweight version of Aachen Bold developed by the University of Wisconsin Badgers. It had an informal look that kind of tied in with the Gaslamp Quarter aesthetic. The secondary is the cap logo (done in the contrasting style of the 1991-2003 and 2016 cap logo), while the tertiary is the solo friar. 

2t1r7Eb.png

The uniforms are a modernization of the PCL set from my previous concept, but with some modern twists. I have both orange-outlined and powder-outlined trim on the sleeves, plackets, and collars, as a way to balance both accents against navy. The scripts have Twins-like tails, as a way of modernizing the odd tails on the PCL cursive lettering. Because of the orange outlines, I opted to go with orange/light blue/orange stripes on the socks. I went with a "script at home, print on the road" look, as it had precedence. Also, trying to fit the modern tail/underline within a cursive "g" gave me an awkward wordmark. The primary is on the sleeves.

fIoZbSn.png

The first set of alternates was my opportunity to play with the accent colors. The home jersey has a light blue base with orange elements, while the road top has the inverse. That way, orange and light blue don't touch, and they don't wind up looking like the Astros or Tigers. The solo friar is the sleeve patch, while the stripes gain navy outlines.

QnmLEg1.png

The second set of alternates includes a navy jersey with the "SD" insignia. I went to the extreme in playing up the contrasting colors, with no white outlines. It's a striking look that's unlike anything else in the majors. The other uniform is a brown/yellow "appeasement" set, with my take on the unused 1985 Friar (with inspiration from @mcrosby's cleanup). It's less obnoxious than the current brown "appeasement" look and ties in well with the rest of the identity.

rbCtE3L.png

The Padres don't have to look uninspired in navy. They can have a unique look that homages the history of baseball in the city and maintains a modern edge. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, a fun little experimentation on a suggestion made a while back.

SAN DIEGO PADRES, PT. II Addendum - Surf Dawgin' It

I've experimented with brown and light blue for the Padres, and it has its supporters. @DustDevil61 made an intriguing suggestion in the "Rehabilitated Uniforms" thread:

On 1/31/2017 at 2:42 PM, DustDevil61 said:

Does anyone remember the Golden Baseball League's San Diego Surf Dawgs?

San_Diego_Surf_Dawgs_Main_Logo.png

I originally loathed the name and identity but it's grown on me, being minor-league and not, like, totally serious and all, but in a strange twist of fate I think it suggests a better color scheme (and possibly logo or branding concept) or two than the Padres' current blandness. We know that merely adding yellow to navy blue improves the Padres colors tenfold, but they may have something workable if they were to introduce light blue into that color scheme (granted, they'd be a yellower Tampa Bay, but still). But even better, replace the navy with brown. Brown/Yellow/Light Blue could be a color scheme that acknowledges the Padres' history while being something that can go in a beach/sun/sea/surfer direction (not unlike the mid-late 2000s set and its colors). Obviously, I'd focus more on the Swingin' Friar and SD as  primary logos--and it would essentially have the current fonts/wordmarks on the jersey, unlike our friend just above this paragraph--but a Surfin' Friar might be a fun secondary/tertiary logo, too. (And a Brown/Orange/Light Blue concept could work with this, too.)

Well, my alternate take provided the perfect template to try this idea out. So, I did a little color swapping, added a few bits to the primary logo, and added the 1998 pinstripes as an alternate!

6U1Lpb1.png

usOodGm.png

S279osB.png

mtcwa69.png

It was a fun bonus experiment to throw in, and a way to demonstrate how brown/yellow can be "beachy" as well. C+C is appreciated.

Up next, my hometown team, the San Francisco Giants!

Wow! This is the first time I’ve ever liked a navy/orange Padres concept, the inclusion of light blue does wonders. It definitely captures the beach vibe, probably better than the 2000s set did. I love the primary home & away and especially the navy and Sunday alts, those are both beautiful.

The brown set is unexpected but outstanding! I love the dark (brown this time) alternate again, and the primary logo is a fantastic combination of different Padres eras.

I’m not yet decided on how I feel about the light-colored alternates in either set, possibly because it seems the wordmarks work better with darker colors. Other than that, I would just flip the colors of the “SD” on the brown version, as the blue comes off as a darker, cooler color that would be more appropriate as a shadow. 

One thing you’ve proven with these 3 sets is that the Padres have plenty of interesting directions they could go in, but yet sadly opt for none of them. Fantastic work, looking forward to your Giants!

This is a hated opinion, but i love their current navy white look, although bland, i still love it for some reason, just wish theyd bring the gold in a bit more,

Love your brown and gold concept, but im a little iffy about the orange and blue, although i love the Summer vibes from the Blue Gold Brown concept, thats pretty nice looking.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Oh man, I know the navy and orange set is the "official" alternate take, but I think I actually like the brown/gold/powder blue set even better. I've loved that color scheme for the Friars ever since laying eyes on @davidmiller5's fantastic Combination of Eras design from a few years back; it just screams "San Diego" to me. Having said all that, my only issue with the navy & orange version is the Swingin' Friar's gray robe. I get that the gray is historically accurate, but it looks drab and out of place on what should be a bright, colorful logo. 

Very fitting that the final team in this series is your personal favorite and namesake. Looking forward to the Giants!

As someone who thinks the navy/orange Padres set sucked, I had some trepidation about this one, but once I scrolled down, you really pulled it off. The color scheme reminds me of the last iteration of the Charlotte Bobcats, which I loved, and the scripts and logos are all far better than what the '90s Padres used.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 9/28/2017 at 10:33 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I too figured that the AL Los Angeles team might have gone by the name "Hollywood Stars" or "Los Angeles Stars," with a purple/yellow-gold color scheme (assuming that Jack Kent Cooke bought/founded the team). I might explore that at some point.

I was re-reading the last few pages of the thread and just noticed this comment. This needs to happen!

Thanks, guys!

On 10/9/2017 at 8:56 PM, MJD7 said:

Wow! This is the first time I’ve ever liked a navy/orange Padres concept, the inclusion of light blue does wonders. It definitely captures the beach vibe, probably better than the 2000s set did. I love the primary home & away and especially the navy and Sunday alts, those are both beautiful.

The brown set is unexpected but outstanding! I love the dark (brown this time) alternate again, and the primary logo is a fantastic combination of different Padres eras.

I’m not yet decided on how I feel about the light-colored alternates in either set, possibly because it seems the wordmarks work better with darker colors. Other than that, I would just flip the colors of the “SD” on the brown version, as the blue comes off as a darker, cooler color that would be more appropriate as a shadow. 

One thing you’ve proven with these 3 sets is that the Padres have plenty of interesting directions they could go in, but yet sadly opt for none of them. Fantastic work, looking forward to your Giants!

Thanks! I'm pleased with how the set turned out. I'm flipping the colors on the light-colored alts and the blue/yellow "SD" in an update later in this post, as it does look much better. The Padres choose to have such nondescript uniforms, despite having so much potential for their identity.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:09 PM, BellaSpurs said:

This is a hated opinion, but i love their current navy white look, although bland, i still love it for some reason, just wish theyd bring the gold in a bit more,

Love your brown and gold concept, but im a little iffy about the orange and blue, although i love the Summer vibes from the Blue Gold Brown concept, thats pretty nice looking.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:40 PM, neo_prankster said:

Great job. Looking forward to the next team.

Thanks, guys!

On 10/9/2017 at 11:11 PM, coco1997 said:

Oh man, I know the navy and orange set is the "official" alternate take, but I think I actually like the brown/gold/powder blue set even better. I've loved that color scheme for the Friars ever since laying eyes on @davidmiller5's fantastic Combination of Eras design from a few years back; it just screams "San Diego" to me. Having said all that, my only issue with the navy & orange version is the Swingin' Friar's gray robe. I get that the gray is historically accurate, but it looks drab and out of place on what should be a bright, colorful logo. 

Very fitting that the final team in this series is your personal favorite and namesake. Looking forward to the Giants!

Thank you. @davidmiller5 was a big inspiration for the direction some of my concepts went in during this thread. I get why the grey robe would be an issue, but a navy robe would have blended in with the background. I didn't want to go colorful, as that just looked bad. 

On 10/9/2017 at 11:24 PM, the admiral said:

As someone who thinks the navy/orange Padres set sucked, I had some trepidation about this one, but once I scrolled down, you really pulled it off. The color scheme reminds me of the last iteration of the Charlotte Bobcats, which I loved, and the scripts and logos are all far better than what the '90s Padres used.

Thanks. I didn't think I could pull it off either, but it turned out better than I expected. I'm also a bit of a fan of the Bobcats' final set. Sure, they looked like the Mavs (I'm sure they even used the same font), but I liked that color scheme/colorway better than the teal/purple and SQUARE EVERYTHING neo-Hornets. I guess that's my unpopular opinion, not liking the neo-Hornets' identity (or any Hornets identity, save for the final NOLA Hornets look). 

On 10/10/2017 at 4:05 PM, Ray Lankford said:

I'd love to get the second set in just brown and yellow. Seems like the trick for the Padres might be going brown and yellow but a beachy kind of vibe with the design.

Thanks. I've got just what you wanted right here!

XTHYhzE.png

On 10/10/2017 at 11:44 PM, SS8609 said:

I wonder how the color orientations on the alternate take and its addendum would look on the original concept's primary cap logo...

Other than that, I'm ready to go up the 101 to the City by the Bay!

Thanks. I've got it here!

SD_CapLogoNew.thumb.png.a6d4080b36878bbd798c590a65224456.png

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I was re-reading the last few pages of the thread and just noticed this comment. This needs to happen!

Oh, I've thought about a PCL merger/variant thread for a while. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing it (I'm taking a bit of break after this series wraps up), but I'll get there.

Anyway, here's a Padres update, featuring some redone colorways!

Navy/Orange/Light Blue:

2gAHSI0.png

kB6ZUF6.png

Brown/Light Blue/Yellow:

4JoFWeQ.png

1RlfDiF.png

vfXalrZ.png

F1ZyCi7.png

Those tweaks make the sets look cleaner/more consistent. Thanks @MJD7 for the consult.

I'm going to post a bunch of little updates/fun variations later today. Here's the first one:

PITTSBURGH PIRATES - Sleeve-style

Per the suggestion of @the admiral (and people who don't like vests), I figured it'd be a good idea to see what my Pirates concept looked like on sleeved jerseys. I'd say it survived the translation.

RdNVrU9.png

3hR3P9A.png

vFo7y3z.png

More variants will be coming later today.

CHICAGO CUBS - Road Variants

Per @BJ Sands' request, I've mocked up the Cubs' road uniforms in both striping styles, thin and thick:

TNrYBSU.png

L0zMBHC.png

I've also thrown in a full Chicago flag version of the Wishbone C-style concept's alternate.

nb3iEgC.png

MILWAUKEE BREWERS - Ball-in-Glove lovers edition

Since there are many BiG fans out there, I figured I'd try to see what my concept would look like with it at the forefront. I also followed @the admiral's suggestion for the Wisconsin logo and added an Owgust cap. While I like my original design a bit more, it doesn't look too shabby with the BiG!

kSFCwAO.png

TyXkUXC.png

UdLU7yX.png

MILWAUKEE BREWERS - "Civic" color scheme edition

Because there are some who insist that Milwaukee/Wisconsin's teams share a color scheme of green/gold, I figured it'd be fun to mock up my alternate take in those colors. I like it, but the navy works more in this look.

n0c3jVc.png

4wjMdow.png

EIBy2g1.png

1 minute ago, coco1997 said:

I love that updated brown/gold/powder blue Padres set. That definitely seals the deal as my preferred alternate take. 

Any plan for when we'll see the Giants?

Thanks! The Giants will be up later today.

Archived