MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

On 9/24/2017 at 2:45 PM, SFGiants58 said:

mtzbIxN.png

The uniforms go for a classy look that fits with both team and civic history. The scripts are a modernization of the American Association Brewers' cursive wordmarks from the 1940's. It calls to mind the old styles of beer labeling around Milwaukee (which I've seen a lot of since moving here), while also paying homage to the history of baseball in the city. I adjusted the "s" in the "Brewers" script to look more like the 1940's version. The numbers are a modified slab-serif font, to tie in with the cap logo and with the aesthetic of some of those old beer signs. The scripts have enough heft for there to be less of a clash than with the Nationals. The "5" has a Packers-style notch. Owgust appears on the raglan sleeves, along with a simplified striping pattern (blue/yellow/blue, a sort of Braisher Stripe). The patterned trim of my first edition just looked garish to me and didn't fit a team of the Brewers' age. The sock stripes are the classic Packers' pattern, as I thought it worked well for the old-timey aesthetic.

nLQgdTe.png

The first alternates have a little flair to them. The first is a gold top with a gold-billed cap. It uses the hat insignia as a crest, like the 1911-37 minor league Brewers. The blue jersey is a recoloring of the home uniform, with the tertiary on the sleeve (as a "civic identifier"). I put a limit on their usage, for obvious reasons.

QhdVnY5.png

The throwback alternates are also fun. The first is a 1993 (because of the NOB) throwback with a few adjustments. These tweaks include a sleeve patch with the 1970-77 Owgust in front of the original Wisconsin logo. The socks bear the striping pattern of the 1969 Pilots, to discourage the Mariners from throwing back to that team. It's my way of satisfying the BiG fans. The second throwback is a recreation of the 1948 American Association Brewers' home uniform, which corrects some inaccuracies with the throwbacks. The cap M now looks like the original logo, while the jerseys gain a zipper front. I added Owgust to the sleeves, to enforce an informal visual continuity with the uniforms (cursive front, Owgust as a patch, etc.).

58zYlon.png

This identity for the Brewers takes elements from the history of both the major league club and the history of baseball in Milwaukee (the American Association Brewers and their affiliation with the Braves). It merges these bits into a cohesive identity that balances both modernity and vintage charm. The throwbacks/faux backs also aid this goal, as they carry across a visual continuity of script and logo design with references to various points of Milwaukee's baseball history (i.e., the BiG, pinstripes, the classic cursive wordmark, and the Braves affiliation). C+C is appreciated!

For the alternate take, we unlock the potential of a forgotten Brewers identity!

No freaking way!

This is VERY similar to an idea I've been working on.

sHyjxb.png

EDIT: Oh, didn't realize this was an old thread that someone bumped to post their own concept on. I swear that's NOT what I was trying to do here... I just thought the coincidence was too big not to mention. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/7/2018 at 11:59 AM, NicDB said:

No freaking way!

This is VERY similar to an idea I've been working on.

sHyjxb.png

EDIT: Oh, didn't realize this was an old thread that someone bumped to post their own concept on. I swear that's NOT what I was trying to do here... I just thought the coincidence was too big not to mention. ?

Thanks! I figured that I wasn't the only guy to have that idea. Don't worry about bumping the dead thread; I'm just happy you didn't hijack it by posting the entirety of your concept. 

q5Mgnl0.gif

Well, I'm back with a few alternative editions of my primary concepts.

CLEVELAND INDIANS, Adjustment - Navy Lover's Edition

I'm very much happy with my red-centric Cleveland concept, but my time in the Sports Logos section of the board has shown me that it's not such a popular opinion. Just ask @crashcarson15 his opinion on any radical retooling of the team's color balance and scheme (which I've come to agree with, to an extent). Also, the team has had issues when embracing red, be it mediocrity (391-417 with the '65-'69 red caps) or choking in the playoffs ('95, '97, '16, and '17 with red accessories at home). So, I figured "what the heck?" and made a navy-centric version of the set. In a way, it brings the look closer to the 1948 World Series -winning team (which was part of my intent). The light blue accents, scripts, and use of a red bill keep the look different enough from my Red Sox, Twins, and Angels concepts to work.

jP4REgC.png

The uniforms now have the navy cap with red bill (no all-navy cap, as it's too close to the Red Sox). I kept the feather on the "C," since it's a nice little touch that doesn't hurt legibility. Blue socks with the stripes are here since I'm not keen on the top-heavy navy cap-red everything else look. Besides, it's more in keeping with the 1948 team's aesthetic. I did keep the red cleats, for that extra "punch" and distance from the Red Sox.

aKxKLwD.png

The alternates are unchanged, save for the color swap on the "Alnōbak" uniform. I wanted to keep red as the softball top's base, again because navy has some not-so-fun memories with it (1997 World Series, 2016 World Series, 2017 ALDS, etc.). I also put a cap on its use, unlike the current navy jerseys.

TNdd2mk.png

The Larry Doby Day uniform remains the same, while the red cap gets a dedicated red-centric alternate. I liked how it looked when they wore it this year, figuring that it'd be an aesthetically-pleasing way to mix up their look now and again.

EYKa1Hm.png

This redesign would be less jarring than my previous concept, while also calling back to the days of Larry Doby, Bob Feller, and Satchel Paige.

MINNESOTA TWINS, Adjustment - A New Alternate

Looking back on my series, I find that I don't like my road alternate for the Twins. It was kind of messy, and I figured that it was best to downplay the connection to the Sen(ationals)ors (sharing their color balance is enough). So, I decided that I could do a little tribute to the 1987-2009 road uniforms while putting a vintage spin on them. I designed a new "M" logo to homage that old set, alongside "M' and "Stp" insignias for each section of the uniform's front. That way, the team always emphasizes that they are from the Twin Cities of Minnesota, and not just Minnesota in general.

1o5Eep8.png

WhI4eFT.png

The new top is less messy alternate than my original and tributes the Minnesota part of the team's heritage.

KANSAS CITY ROYALS, Adjustment - Color & Script Fixes

This tweak is a bit of housekeeping of the original. I swapped around the colors on the logo lettering, while also bringing back the current "Kansas City" script. My other one looked too distorted.

MyYPjTe.png

ReUcZqg.png

EHoHw1y.png

HOUSTON ASTROS, Adjustment - A Navy Nagareboshi (shooting star)

I love the orange-centric Astros concept I made (it might be my favorite concept in the whole series), but I figured that there were enough fans of the navy version to justify a navy-centric mock-up. I made some adjustments to the scripts to accommodate the new colorway. The alts would remain the same.

XFdeK0M.png

c4Hl7Su.png

I don't like it as much as my primary version, but it was a worthwhile experiment.

Stay tuned for more from this almost year-old series in the coming days, as I make a big addendum to the series!

Fun to see this series back! Solid updates all around. I really like that new Twins alternate. One small suggestion for Houston is to flip the orange and navy on the socks so the bottom portion matches the sleeves and cap. 

Looking forward to what's next! ;)

22 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

MINNESOTA TWINS, Adjustment - A New Alternate

Looking back on my series, I find that I don't like my road alternate for the Twins. It was kind of messy, and I figured that it was best to downplay the connection to the Sen(ationals)ors (sharing their color balance is enough). So, I decided that I could do a little tribute to the 1987-2009 road uniforms while putting a vintage spin on them. I designed a new "M" logo to homage that old set, alongside "M' and "Stp" insignias for each section of the uniform's front. That way, the team always emphasizes that they are from the Twin Cities of Minnesota, and not just Minnesota in general.

1o5Eep8.png

WhI4eFT.png

The new top is less messy alternate than my original and tributes the Minnesota part of the team's heritage.

The Twins set is awesome but to be honest I hate the road alternate. Over these past almost 60 years they've cemented themselves to be the states team. Having a road alternate that tries to say it's the Twin Cities team would be jarring and out of character. The only remaining reference to the Twin Cities is and should only be the TC logo, and even then most people prefer the M hat

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

Chiming in on the Twins debate:  The "m" hat is not very popular.  It seems like most people think that the TC makes us unique, and is a far superior logo.  See previous discussions where people have made concepts modifying the TC logo.

I personally like the "m".  I think that the Twins were at their highest, both in performance and cultural identity in the '90s, when they wore it.

xglLy43.png38ekInb.png3T2CQrI.png

On 5/18/2018 at 7:50 PM, coco1997 said:

Fun to see this series back! Solid updates all around. I really like that new Twins alternate. One small suggestion for Houston is to flip the orange and navy on the socks so the bottom portion matches the sleeves and cap. 

Looking forward to what's next! ;)

Thanks! I've got that little fix right here:

RCIkjyu.png

Also, here's a cleaner version with just the Tequila Sunrise on the socks.

uv9Fqyk.png

On 5/18/2018 at 10:04 PM, CanucksFan said:

Great to see some updates from you. Any plans for an upcoming project?

Thanks. There's some wrap-up work for this series; then I'm moving on to my next big project.

On 5/19/2018 at 6:12 PM, FightingGoldenDevil said:

The Twins set is awesome but to be honest I hate the road alternate. Over these past almost 60 years they've cemented themselves to be the states team. Having a road alternate that tries to say it's the Twin Cities team would be jarring and out of character. The only remaining reference to the Twin Cities is and should only be the TC logo, and even then most people prefer the M hat

Thanks! I totally get where you're coming from with it, but I'd argue that the team emphasizes the "Twin Cities" more than enough. The mascots in the logo are "Minnie" and "Paul," who each wear the insignias of their respective cities. There's also the "TC" logo, which emphasizes the cities over the state as a whole. I'm not sure about how the "TC vs. M" debate plays out in the fanbase, but I just went with what I wanted. I don't like state names for Big Four teams, and I like to use any excuse to downplay states in favor of cities. I get that it's unpopular, but that's just my approach. I'm sorry if I touched any nerves. 

Anyway, here's another mini-update:

SEATTLE MARINERS, Adjustment - Grappling with grey

This one was something I cooked up while preparing the next section of the series. I didn't like how I used a darker grey with my Mariners concept (#a2aaad), so I brightened the grey to #b2b4b2. The update also gave me the excuse to put the whole revised design in one post (which I didn't do earlier).

8eZgJar.png

l1kmkWP.png

5XqQp5m.png

ApJvYXB.png

It really lets that minty teal "pop" on the jersey and cap. C+C is appreciated, as always.

For the next step (and the one-year anniversary of the project), I'll see you tomorrow!

THE DUGOUT JACKETS, PT. I: AL East

I figured that releasing some new designs would be a good way to celebrate the one-year anniversary of this thread. Using this image as a base, I created a dugout jacket template for a bunch of new concepts. While I try to stick to the traditional look of dugout jackets, I have made several unorthodox choices. These include logos on the back, sleeve stripes, and several other touches in trim regions. I hope you guys enjoy them!

Baltimore Orioles - This is a recreation of the team's classic black jacket design, albeit with a bit more orange and white in the mix.

s42F2kP.png

Boston Red Sox - I opted to duplicate the sock stripe pattern on the sleeve while placing a textless version of the primary logo on the back. It turns that striping design into an essential part of the team's identity.

Jq5lGiy.png

Carolina Pilots - They have two jackets, one for the primary set and another for the fauxback. I wanted the main one to resemble a WWII-era bomber jacket, albeit with some concessions to the team's aesthetics (stripes on the sleeve to get more powder on the outfit). The fauxback has a "Carolina" wordmark in the same style as its linked jersey.

xmtOLTD.png

ao9T41Q.png

Cleveland Indians - I've opted to homage the 1989-93 racing stripes, which are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I added the Penobscot double curve on the sleeve, in keeping with the jerseys. There's a red and a navy version, depending on which color balance you prefer (original or update).

qZrecxc.pngextqxkT.png

Detroit Tigers - Both the navy/white and navy/orange variants are simple designs, featuring the "merged" Old English D and the tiger head logo on the sleeve. 

IiH2KDD.pngYK2FPCI.png

New York Yankees - Joe Torre's favorite piece of outerwear returns!

PGa1mtE.png

Tampa Bay Stingrays - I implemented the light blue-lime green gradient on the sleeves, for that slight modern touch on the jacket design. The fauxback has its own outerwear, with collar/sleeve/bottom trim to sort of match the logo.

E3SPs3t.pngHbhNhQv.png

Toronto Blue Jays - I carried over the dual stripe motif to the sleeves and trim, while also placing the "T-Maple Leaf" on the back.

AEHWEkh.png

C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, it's the AL West.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:55 AM, SFGiants58 said:

SEATTLE MARINERS, Adjustment - Grappling with grey

This one was something I cooked up while preparing the next section of the series. I didn't like how I used a darker grey with my Mariners concept (#a2aaad), so I brightened the grey to #b2b4b2. The update also gave me the excuse to put the whole revised design in one post (which I didn't do earlier).

gmpbic9.png

Could you fix the "S" on the logosheet?

YOZXkBG.png?1

10 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

Could you fix the "S" on the logosheet?

Thanks for pointing out the Inkscape glitch, and it's fixed!

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Love the dugout jacket designs! A welcome surprise addition to this amazing series. 

Thank you! I think you'll like the rest of the set.

8 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

To be honest, I loved the original road alt with the white letters with a drop shadow. 

Thanks. I sometimes go through phases where I fall out of love with a concept. While trying to replicate the "rise shadow" look on another concept I made, I realized that I wasn't as in love with my original as I once was.

Anyway, it's AL West time!

Anaheim Angels - I opted to recreate the UCLA-style stripes from the alternate uniform, while also making one to match their retro set.

1KDLY2b.pngB5iMpPa.png

Arizona Diamondbacks - I carried over the trim striping to the trim areas of the jacket. Both insignia logos feature on the sleeves to bracket the "Arizona" wordmark. The throwback features the purple jersey's sleeve trim on the trim areas, with the old "D-snake" logo on the back and the "A" on the front. I opted to go with a purple jacket since my throwback uniforms emphasized purple. 

HpHeMbc.pngSgps1Ck.png

Chicago White Sox - I emulated the sock stripes on the primary jacket's sleeve, with the "White Sox" script being front-and-center (I might consider revising it to the "Sox" crest). I also added jackets for the 1917 jersey (using the 1915 road jersey wordmark ) and the 1969-70 jersey (with the period-appropriate insignia).

o4urYog.pngXTbnl2r.pngjMwZVLr.png

Kansas City Royals - This is a relatively plain design, with a trim striping pattern meant to emphasize the yellow and white.

ni1NjoR.png

Minnesota Twins - The jacket has UCLA-style stripes (another Vikings homage) and trim striping to emphasize the white-over-red colorway. I opted to use the "Minnesota" wordmark, akin to the 1960s jacket. The road alternate's outfit homages the striping of the late-1980s/early-1990s outerwear.

4zHvPw2.pngTBE0My0.png

Oakland Athletics - This is a recolor/tweak of the 1960s-'80s A's jackets, with a recoloration/implementation of the elephant logo.

QN7A0mN.png

Seattle Mariners - I added minty teal sleeves, to better reflect the color balance of the identity. The trim stripes mimic the sock design. There's also a jacket to pair with the PCL-style alternate, with no white (for differentiation).

I0pWEK6.png4kUw0VH.png

Texas Rangers - I got this idea from @MJD7's fantastic MLB series, in which he used the western-style vests for the team. I also opted to use the badge as a crest for the jersey (akin to MJD7's other design), if only to give it a bit of the (ugh) "cop cosplay" look, which sells among certain sections of the populace.

KgMfPDg.png

Up next, the NL East!

I've been keeping up with this series for a long time now and didn't even notice the T Maple Leaf logo before. That is so genius and one of my favorite things you've done. Also, great job on the dugout jackets. Love how each has a unique look for every team. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived