MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, thanks for the C+C!

Onto the Tigers!

DETROIT TIGERS, PT. I - One "D" to rule them all!

It's common knowledge around these parts that the Detroit Tigers have two separate Old English "D" logos, one for the jersey and one for the cap. While I don't have a problem with it (both are perfectly suited for their applications), I can see why people don't like this redundant branding. Some have tried to rectify this by promoting the cap "D" (which is too dainty to work on a jersey) or the jersey "D" (which is too bulky to work on a cap). I decided to go for the fusion approach, combining elements from both logos (and past Old English "D" logos ) into a new logo that can work on all applications.

fPiaHDw.png

The rest of the logo set shifts to account for the new logos. The "Tiger climbing through the D" logo returns, with adjustments to the "D" to match the new logo.

rG8GD2c.png

I decided to keep the home uniform orange-free, as I like that quirk. The tiger patch appears on the road uniform (I happen to like it), and the script/numbers/NOB lose their unnecessary white outlines (like the 1952-57 road uniform and my previous concepts). The sock stripes on the road uniform use the pattern from my Rockies concept in the MLB Tweaks series, as I thought it fit with the tiger stripe aesthetic and the lack of white outlines on orange elements (white outlines messed with the "minimalism" of the look). 

GcyfS9C.png

The alternates are slightly conservative, as the Tigers aren't a team that should have colored jerseys. The home alternate, for super-rare (once a month) usage, is my take on @FinsUp1214's excellent Tigers alt (used with his permission). It has the underused "Tigers" script, the road cap/helmet, tiger patch, and sock stripes. The road alternate (worn against teams with throw/faux-backs of a similar vintage) is a fauxback to the 1934-46 road uniforms, with a faux-flannel pattern (inspired by @Bmac's pattern). I wanted to try faux-flannel out for a while, and this was an excellent opportunity! Think of these alts as bringing the road uniform's aesthetic home, while also taking the home uniform's style on the road. 

JQBxbd3.png

I tend to think of the Tigers' different "D" logos as more of a feature than a bug, but for those who want a consistent brand, this is the way to go (while preserving/restoring different parts of the team's identity)! C+C is appreciated.

Up next, a more "out there" take on the team!

...and now, the thrilling sequel!

DETROIT TIGERS, PT. II - A bit of Bengal-ization

It's no secret that the Tigers tried to mix up their look a little bit in the 1990's. They introduced the Tiger walking through the "D" logo in 1994, a blue softball top in 1995, the walking Tiger cap from 1995-97, and their late adoption of racing stripes in 1994. What if they took these experiments several steps further, with Cincinnati Bengals-esque striping, more orange, and tiger stripes all around? Well, here you go!

I put sublimated stripes on the updated Old English D and scripts, along with orange outlines (for orange incorporation - for those wanting to see my take on it). It's a subtle way to bring the stripe motifs into the logo.

aPTLAvO.png

The uniforms now feature sleeve cuffs and Northwestern-style sock stripes with tiger striping, along with placket trim (thick cuff + placket trim isn't unprecedented). The numbers also receive the subtle sublimated tiger stripes, while the NOB's/front numbers are un-striped (for legibility from a distance). The home uniform has orange trim, for "orange incorporation." The tiger head makes for an excellent patch, so it appears on both uniforms.

Ym5BZZi.png

The alternates follow the same conventions as the home and road uniforms, with the "walking tiger" logo on an orange-billed cap.

RarH5nR.png

While I could have gone more "out there" with the Tigers, such modifications brought it a bit too close to "flavortown" for my liking. This is a restrained approach to an "out there" look, which is appropriate for the Tigers. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

Up next, the Yankees!

The Tigers once again look great. I'm with you in that I don't have a problem with the two different logos, but you still were able to combine them in a very tasteful way. I like how your regular home & road and the alternates are sort of inverses of each other, that's a real interesting touch. I'm also excited to see a more "out there" approach!

Woah- I posted that right as you uploaded Part II!

The more "out there" look is fantastic! As a fan of incorporating more orange myself, I love the way the two shades of blue & two shades of orange look together in the sublimation. Keep it up!

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Just curious if you're going to move on to the AL West after finishing the East, or are you planning to jump over to the NL?

I'll be moving right into the AL West after I finish up the East.

Now, for those looking for a distraction from the NHL reveal thread, here are the Yankees!

NEW YORK YANKEES, PT. I - Flashing back and simplifying the brand

After you've tuned out 97.8 Liberty Rock Radio, it's fair time to acknowledge that the Yankees' brand is even more all over the place than the Tigers'. They not only have a primary logo that has far more red than any other part of their identity, they have three variants of the Tiffany-designed "NY" logo, one for the cap, one for the jersey, and one for print usage (they had four at one point, with a separate batting helmet logo). Like with my Tigers concept, I wanted to create a logo that balanced the features of all of the logos. It had to combine the boldness of the jersey logo, the simplicity of the cap logo, and the "panache" of the print/batting helmet logo (I've long felt that the cap logo is too "sterile," as it's missing the visible serifs). So, with some help from @kroywen (thank you, BTW), I made a merged logo:

zhwp2mw.png

Now this is a logo that can work on both a jersey and a cap/batting helmet without much issue. It also kind of looks like the 1950's/60's cap logo, which fits with the general aesthetic of the concept. With the primary logo, I replaced much of the red with navy (no more royal blue) and added grey to the hat's underside. The tertiary logo is a combination of the pinstripes, the frieze pattern from the 2008 All-Star Game logo, and a banner declaring a 1903 establishment date (which fits with John Thorn's rulings). I wanted a logo with pinstripes and the frieze, as I've always liked those touches. The batterman features red, as I like that little punch of color.

xOWRg4g.png

The uniforms are nothing too different from what they wear now. The new "NY" appears on the home uniform's chest and on the caps/batting helmets. In a move that may be unpopular, I removed the white outlines and cuffs from the road uniform. I've never been too keen on them, as I vastly prefer the 1920's-1972 road uniforms. I didn't add faux-flannel, as the Yankees shouldn't be a team that has a "gimmick" as part of their primary uniforms. I gave the uniforms a single pants stripe and small cuffs, to preserve some of the 1973-present uniform's flair (and consistency, unlike the current set). The font is a modified version of block standard, as I've never liked Wilson's Varisty Font for the Yankees (it's too bulky).

z6yHplY.png

As for the alternates, I wanted to keep them as Yankee-like as possible. The home alternate is a 1939 World Series champions throwback, to be worn on Old Timer's Day (a perfect occasion for throwbacks). People will barely be able to tell the difference from the current set, aside from the Baseball Centennial patch, set-in sleeves, McAuliffe number font (Red Sox font, which the Yankees wore for a long time, thanks @Gehrig27), and the tertiary logo on the sleeve (to hammer in the franchise's age/legacy). The road alternate would be worn maybe once a season, as a throwback to the 1927 road uniforms. While I tried to be as accurate to the original as possible (eight-panel caps, grey-bottomed stirrups/faux-stirrups, and logos), I added numbers for scorekeepers'/buyers' sake.

Iksa0co.png

While it may not be "radical," this concept does manage to simplify the Yankees' iconic "NY" logo and color scheme, restore some of the charm of the 1950's-60's uniforms, and introduce alternates in a way that is inoffensive and near-unnoticeable. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, the Yankees get back to the dugout with an underused color!

P.S. The #19 on the model is for my favorite Yankee, Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti. The alternates use their source years as modeling numbers.

Love your work here on the Yankees. Great decision to remove the white outlines on the road uniform--my biggest pet peeve about their current set. 

I think I have an idea of what you're going to do with the alternate set and I can't wait to see it!

Now that dust has settled on the NHL reveal thread, here we go with the alternate take!

NEW YORK YANKEES, PT. II - Going back to the "dugout" with a dash of red.

The 1930's were a time of codification for many classic looks. The Red Sox, Dodgers, Tigers, and Giants all debuted looks that would be the precedent for their uniforms for the next eighty years (with few exceptions). In our timeline, the Yankees missed the World Series from 1933-35 and released Babe Ruth. Ownership, trying to change up the team's aesthetics for the post-Ruth years (I guess), opted to reintroduce the "NY" to the pinstripe uniforms. With World Series victories in 1936-39 (in no small part due to San Francisco Seals outfielder Joe DiMaggio), the "NY" was there to stay.

However, what if there was an alternate timeline, where management went a few steps further in differentiating the Ruth-era and DiMaggio-era looks? What if the Yankees, seeing the trend towards cursive script wordmarks (the Tigers' road uniforms, this Phillies script, the Cubs' brief flirtation in the early-1930's, the Reds' mini-script, and the Dodgers' upcoming introduction of the classic script in 1938), decided to hop on the script bandwagon? Also, what if the team introduced red into their color scheme before 1946? How could they have incorporated into their color scheme in a way that'd still be considered classic today (the navy-only being Ruth's look, and the red scripts being DiMaggio-present day's look)? Well, let's find out!

Basically, my proposal was to take these classic dugout jackets:

4635620935_931f4cc488_b.jpg47729_frankie_crosetti.jpg12243d_lg.jpeg

...and the 1973-present script:

1255.gif

...and build a uniform set out of this look!

Obviously, the classic primary logo would remain (as its script fit far more with the set). The "NY" now has a red outline (a benefit of the new "NY" being the ease of adding a good outline to it), and the tertiary logo changes accordingly.

m48PPiX.png

The uniforms have been adjusted to accommodate the new color scheme and logos. The scripts use tails based off of the 1990's jackets (with the font maybe changing a bit in the 1970's with the introduction of double-knit, like in our timeline), and incorporate a red outline like the jacket DiMaggio is modeling above. The primary logo appears on the sleeve, as it now doesn't look as jarring with the rest of the set. Stripes on the road uniform appear, for the sake of adding more color. I kept the number font from my main concept, as this timeline's Yankees would never have used Wilson as a uniform manufacturer (it might have been Rawlings, Goodman & Sons, or McAuliffe who made the uniforms - read Game Worn Jerseys of the Double-Knit Era if you want to know more). 

25C4xSO.png

These Yankees, having less of an "affixed" look, would be more open to conservative alternates that would be worn once per season. The pinstripe cap throws back to the 1921 team, while also being a pretty hat. The road pinstripes would be a throwback to the 1912-16 uniforms (as they'd be the only uniforms with the "NY" as a crest), and a fun look to wear against throwbacks of similar vintages. In reality, I wanted to do a road pinstripes look for the Yankees, and the "alternate takes" are a perfect venue for it!

D5khqSQ.png

As for throwback alternates, we have two 1927 throwbacks! These uniforms would be nice looks back at the team's pre-1936 aesthetic history, without any red and in the case of the home uniform, without a logo! The set has more "throwback" gimmicks, with a creme home uniform and faux-flannel road uniform.

8lWvs2C.png

While the Yankees were smart to limit their 1936 changes to the reintroduction of the home uniform crest, this alternate take shows how they could have gone further to create a different classic look. I would never want the Yankees wearing something like the above in real life, but it made for a fun experiment. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, the Tampa Bay _____rays (you'll see)!

P.S. How could I leave the Yankees behind without these clips?

This is absolutely amazing. This would look awesome in real life. The Yankees really should add a little more red into their look, even if it is not as much as you added. Can't wait to see what's in store for Tampa.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

Amazing work. Once you made the comment about getting "back to the dugout," I had a pretty good idea of what you had planned, but of course the finished product looks even better than I imagined. I especially love that pinstriped road alt!

I have to admit, though, I'm surprised that among all these different alts and throwback options, there isn't at least one navy alt.

Can't wait to see what you have planned for the Rays. Something tells me Part 2 will be something to behold.

Other than using the Red Sox jersey font (that would not go over well), both yankees concepts are perfection. Love how they look with a little red

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Archived