MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I never really viewed the Arizona Diamondbacks name as a problem, but once again this is an amazing job! The secondary logo in particular is phenomenal, I'd say you could make that the primary in all honesty.

I like the "colder" color scheme, as it seems to fit the Snakes name well, but I also think replacing the black with red again could look sweet.

I'm just amazed that you keep dishing out these amazing concepts, this series is absolutely wonderful.

I can't get over the name, but it's decent. The black-turquoise-cream color scheme is excellent. And while I'm not a fan of the throwback attempt (the text doesn't feel snug), it's passable.

It gives me a feeling of American League, not National, baseball, that's for sure.

Great job here!!! (and good to see my work from 7 years ago can still inspire some creativity!) I was ironically looking at that concept just yesterday, starting to get that fever to be creative again lol. Looking forward to seeing the next one in the series.

98Falcons.png

On 7/9/2017 at 0:57 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks for the C+C, and here's the alternate take!

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS, PT. II - Snaking their way through the Valley of the Sun

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I've never liked the name "Arizona Diamondbacks." I don't like the "Arizona" part because I don't like state names (Minnesota being the exception), and "Diamondbacks" is just too damn long for a sports team name (baseball diamond + Western Diamondback snake). It should have been rejected the minute Jerry Colangelo (their old owner) saw it on a jersey, but the mid-late '90's made a name like that possible. In the words of Dragon Ball Z Abridged's Vegeta:

giphy.gif.75b3cb1ccc537f8ea5bb1b3383932397.gif

So, let's change it up. "Arizona" gets replaced with "Phoenix," as the team plays in Phoenix proper (and they should stay at Chase Field, despite their current dickery). Besides, nobody has a problem with the Phoenix Suns and the area around Phoenix often identifies with that city. "Diamondbacks" get subbed out by "Snakes," as there are a bunch of different snakes native to the area. Besides, as @the admiral noted:

The color scheme is a simplified version of the '98-'06 color scheme, ditching purple and replacing the turquoise with a slightly lighter shade (one that contrasts more with the black). I figured that this color scheme was more snake-like while still being unique (I'm not the first to come up with basic idea either. Read the links and look at @davidmiller5's concept). Besides, it also has its base in Southwestern art:

c7f5a56259e75acf6a6e2b8182ac727d--navajonavajo_etched_pot.jpg

The "A" logo becomes a "P," with some inspiration from @Buc and @robbman21's concept work. I appropriated the 2007-present "D-snake" logo to act as the snake head for the secondary logo (based around the 2011 All-Star Game logo). I redid the throwback patch to imagine what the 1998 Phoenix Snakes would look like, while also making that logo look slightly better in "flat" applications.

tJbG8ji.png

The uniforms are similar to my main take, albeit with black and turquoise being co-dominant and the "P" logo taking the place of the "A." Also, the shorter name means that the team can use their name on their home uniforms without it looking like crap.

dFbqnPu.png

The alternates are color swaps of the main concept, with a few tweaks for the new name.

PbezIWS.png

The Arizona Turquoise-centric home alternate would be worn against other teams with black caps (i.e. Orioles, White Sox, and interleague with the Giants and Pirates). The Throwback Thursday set now features my attempt to recreate the "Snakes" script for the 1998-2006 identity.

rs7qABq.png

It felt good to put the "Phoenix Snakes" idea to practice, and I really liked using this color scheme for the team. C+C is greatly appreciated.

Up next, the Chicago White Sox!

Bravo.  I've been calling them Snakes for years, and I love the concept.  The teal/purple is a perfect set.  Excellent work.

On 7/9/2017 at 3:26 PM, the admiral said:

I'm head-over-heels for the Phoenix Snakes! I wonder how the red-sand-black scheme would have suited them.

Well, I mocked it up, and I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of it.

PHX_LogoSheetB2.thumb.png.4f3d3976a5a3e8fc6f0f81bf6814d6d6.png

I like to think that the black/teal/copper is a bit more to my taste. Still, it's a good color scheme.

On 7/9/2017 at 6:31 PM, MJD7 said:

Wow, I never really viewed the Arizona Diamondbacks name as a problem, but once again this is an amazing job! The secondary logo in particular is phenomenal, I'd say you could make that the primary in all honesty.

I like the "colder" color scheme, as it seems to fit the Snakes name well, but I also think replacing the black with red again could look sweet.

I'm just amazed that you keep dishing out these amazing concepts, this series is absolutely wonderful.

I mocked up the "Snakes" in my Arizona Turquoise/Sedona Red/Sand color scheme, but I rejected it after I had thought it wasn't "different" enough from my original. I'll post that mock-up in the updates.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:29 AM, Raymie said:

I can't get over the name, but it's decent. The black-turquoise-cream color scheme is excellent. And while I'm not a fan of the throwback attempt (the text doesn't feel snug), it's passable.

It gives me a feeling of American League, not National, baseball, that's for sure.

I figured that not everybody would like the name. The script is a bit of a hatchet job with the NOB font of the period, and I think I could have tweaked it a tiny bit more. I do wonder what you mean by "feeling of American League, not National, baseball."

Anyway, onto the next team!

CHICAGO WHITE SOX, PT. I - Going for that Go-Go style

It's no secret that I like the Chicago White Sox in black/red (of the famed "Go-Go Sox" of the 1950's-'60's), while also liking their current uniform set. I love the current color scheme and the current uniforms (pre-road uniform atrophy), but I wanted to find a way to incorporate red into them while correcting the road uniform's decay and correcting a few flaws that I see in their set. These issues include:

-socks that aren't white/predominantly white

-the lack of a "White Sox" script in the identity

-a sorely lacking retro set

Well, let's get to fixing that! I used a brighter red, to contrast with the white and the black. The wordmark from my first concept appears again, and I changed the outlining of the secondary logo.

pE0cTOp.png

On the uniforms, the white socks return in a form that people like @Silent Wind of Doom recommended on the forums, and has a precedence in the team's history (1946-49). They have white socks in much the same way that the Red Sox have red socks in my series - it's the predominant sock color. Full white socks looked terrible.

I made an effort to include more white in the uniforms, along with the red outlines on the cap/jersey logos, numbers, and NOB's. Because of this, I broke one of my main rules by placing double outlines on the road uniform. I tried to make it as inoffensive as possible, using a condensed NOB font (from the Cardinals).

The secondary logo now appears on all of the uniforms. The full striping returns to the road uniform, with adjustments to the new color scheme.

MRw2kSA.png

On the black alternate uniforms, I put a cap on the amount of times it shows up per week. These black tops were also an opportunity for me to introduce the "White Sox" script from the 1987-90 uniforms, albeit in a modified form. Here's a comparison. I also made a matching "Chicago" road uniform.

XnNwXPg.png

[Rant] I don't care for the current retro set. I dislike the 1983-86 uniforms a bunch. It's a mix of Adidas-led overexposure, a lack of white socks, a less-than-impressive logo, connection to failure (outside of 1983), and an overall dull design (as far as "garish" looks go). I would love it if the team shelved them forever and never brought them out into the light again. [/rant]. 

Now that I've lost some of you, I propose a different method for the White Sox to handle their "retro" uniforms. The retro home uniform is a tweaked version of their 1917 World Series uniforms, with the addition of a period-accurate logo on the cap (like the 2001 uniforms). The road uniform is a revival of the 1969-70 road uniform, one of my favorite looks in baseball history. While it has less connection to success than the '83-'86 set, it's less obnoxious and is different enough from the main set to "count" as a retro brand.

Ngdnj1C.png

This concept is a model for how the White Sox can keep all of the beautiful elements of their current identity (like the Old English lettering and cursive scripts), while adding red and fixing the brand's minor errors. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, my take on the White Sox in their 1990-present colors!

I've been waiting patiently to see your take on my White Sox, and my patience has certainly been rewarded! 

I really like what you've done here. The home and road uniforms in particular look very sharp. Did you consider making the home uniform off-white, to further imitate the original Go-Go Sox uniform

I do have a few nitpicks. First, I wish you'd kept the underline on the "White Sox" wordmark; it looks incomplete without it. Second, I'd make the road alt a solid black version of the home jersey (the diagonal "Sox" logo with red trim) so that the two alternates aren't so similar. 

Now for the throwback alts: The 1917 set is superb (I'll actually be seeing the Sox rock those throwbacks in a few weeks). Interesting choice to make their '69 set their road alt. I too have always liked that set, what with its "cruder" diagonal Sox logo and unique white on gray script. 

Bring on Part 2!

You're going to make the Sox faithful plotz with the team in royal blue. 

In theory, I should appreciate the conceptual continuity of three Chicago teams in red and black, but 

1) unlike Pittsburgh and the black and gold, red and black aren't civic colors, they're just the Blackhawks' colors that the Bulls adopted as co-tenants and the White Sox coincidentally used for a couple years

2) many Bulls and Blackhawks fans are emphatically not White Sox fans and might not want that sort of commonality imposed upon them

What I do like is that you have a third application of colors: while the Hawks are red with white numbers outlined in black and the Bulls are red with black outlined in white, here you have black with white outlined in red, so everyone has their own spin. I like the return of the diamond-sock on the road (but don't need it at home), I like the implementation of the '87 White Sox script somewhere in the package (though my preference was always dugout jackets only, like the tailed Yankees script), and I love the white socks. I agree that the Winning Ugly uniforms are terrible and overexposed and live up to the second half of their nickname. The original SOX monogram with the O and X in the space of the S is such a good logo and needs some kind of full-time use today, maybe as the BP/ST hat. 

The White Sox are a tough team to do concepts for because other than correcting for their socks and undoing a couple of stupid recent changes, there's not much to improve upon.

EDIT: as for Phoenix in red/sand/black, it feels more Phoenix, but less Snakes. I could go either way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the brighter shade of red is doing a ton of great work in the White Sox concept. I common problem in the Go Go Sox throwbacks is that the red blends into the black, creating a brownish. So upping the radiance on the red makes for much better contrast. 

I wasn't sure about the white outline on the road uniform but on a second viewing I like it. The "Chicago" script works a lot better with the additional white outline that the Tigers' "Detroit."

As a Sox fan, I am broadly opposed to the complete name "White Sox" appearing on any jersey as its only been worn that way for 5 seasons out of 117 (they've actually used "Chicago" for both jerseys more often). However, using it on a black alternate looks really nice so it works. Also the look of "White Sox" in white and red on a dark background was my first little league jersey so I definitely like it. 

My one tweak would be to drop the second black alt with "Chicago" and go with a red jersey for the road alt. 

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! I'll have you know that giving the Yankees a navy alt is one of those few lines I won't cross, alongside having the Giants in royal blue and the like.

Wait until part two! Also, if you are posting in my threads, please use proper punctuation. It's just good conduct.

Thank you. Spoilers, but that's pretty much going to be my primary color scheme/hierarchy for Minnesota. Navy, white, then red (because of the "frosty" feeling it gives off). 

Now, onto Tampa Bay!

TAMPA BAY STINGRAYS - A stinging touch of green

Now that you've had your ASMR fix, let's let our good buddy @FinsUp1214 describe my problems with the Rays' identity:

I'll add to it that while the "sun ray" idea has grown on me a little bit (in part due to the Padres ripoff fauxbacks), there are still many things I don't like about it. The font looks bland, they don't have a "Tampa Bay" wordmark, they still have the old ray on their sleeve (despite phasing it out of the rest of their brand - what @hockey week called the "'just kidding' ripcord of branding"), they still use ****ing nameplates (along with the Indians), and all of their uniforms are literal palette swaps (thanks, @Silent Wind of Doom). 

Back in ye olden days of 2013, I had the idea to rename the team "Stingrays." The resulting concept is one of the trashiest things I have ever put up on here (a shoddily modified version of the Judas Priest font, a poor take on double green, and the visual issue of renaming the team "Stingrays" alongside the image of a Devil Ray). Cardinals superfan/jabroni McCall rightfully called me out on it (a rare occurrence for him), and I managed to refine the current set to a solid point. However, I still found myself liking the name "Stingrays." It was unambiguous (unlike "Rays"), sounded appropriate for a sports team (despite stingrays having the nickname "Puppies of the Sea," and had only two syllables!

With the colors, I knew I had to bring back the dark green and light blue (Deep Green and Columbia Blue). I tweaked the shades (a lighter dark green with more blue and carrying over the light blue from my Pilots concept) and added lime green (just Lime Green) as a small accent. I thought that the lime green worked well as an accent for the Emerald Green/Light Blue Daytona Tortugas, so I added it to the Stingrays. Now, Tampa can have a look to call its own and finally leave the navy hegemony.

Using this photo from Monterey Bay Aquarium's website, I managed to draw a Southern Stingray (which live in the area around Tampa Bay) that carried over the old ray's stylistic points while representing the flowing lines of Dasyatis americana. The font is a modified version of Seren Script by Type Faith Fonts, which I liked as a modern, flowing script style (to fit with the Stingrays' age and the smooth aesthetic of the identity).

fnJe3P8.png

The uniforms are classic, but with some modern twists. The scripts feature small teal highlights in their short tails and the sleeves feature curved stripes - to accentuate the curves found throughout the identity. These styling points are a way to do modern stuff without straying too far from the traditional visual language of the sport (i.e. the original Carolina Hurricanes' warning flag stripes, the Milwaukee Bucks' Irish Rainbow, the Bengals' 1981 redesign, etc.). A "Tampa Bay" script returns to the road uniform. The number/NOB font is the former font of the Pittsburgh Penguins, as it is still a good modern block font. NOB's are direct-sewn, so no more nameplate gunk! The sock stripes come from the 1933-50 St. Louis Cardinals' sock stripes - a pattern too attractive not to use somewhere in the majors.

fazaZfU.png

The alternates are both standard and unorthodox. The light blue alt comes with a blue-billed cap, so as not to infringe too much on the Pilots' identity. The green alternate is something I've wanted to do for a while - a simplified and unified take on the Rays' inaugural set. Featuring the "TB" as a crest and the "Stingrays" wordmark on the sleeve, this uniform uses a two-color gradient of light blue and lime green (simpler than the old one - Colorwerx notes four shades). The cap is tribute to the (rarely-worn) alternate cap from 1998-2000, The sock stripes also receive an overhaul, to match the gradients in a knitting-friendly way. The NOB has no gradient, because of legibility reasons.

KmdKNvP.png

The second set of alternates pairs the light blue jersey's cap with the home uniform. The other alternate is a fauxback to the 1961 Tampa Tarpons because I like the idea of fauxbacks to teams that have some regional connection. A classic-cut vest bears powder pinstripes and a cartoon image of a smiling Southern Stingray (based on this photo from Pinterest) holding a bat in his tail. It tributes the long history of baseball in the region, while not ripping off another team!

mIRo46w.png

I'd like to think that the Stingrays have come a long way since 2013. Instead of me being all "edgy" and lazy with the design, I've done my research, found an eye-pleasing color scheme, and made a modern (yet still using traditional visual language) identity for Tampa Bay that could look in the Trop or in a retractable roof stadium. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, my take on the "Ray of Light" and double blue + yellow!

P.S. the number model for this one is #18, for 2016 World Series MVP/Joe Maddon's BFF Ben Zobrist. Also, this is my first concept with green (my favorite color) since I switched avatars to my favorite green senshi from Super Sentai - Hayate from Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!

YOU STOLE MY IDEA! Just kidding.

Anyway, finally someone used hunter green and Columbia blue as a teams main palette. That is awesome.

20 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I really like what you've done here. The home and road uniforms in particular look very sharp. Did you consider making the home uniform off-white, to further imitate the original Go-Go Sox uniform

I do have a few nitpicks. First, I wish you'd kept the underline on the "White Sox" wordmark; it looks incomplete without it. Second, I'd make the road alt a solid black version of the home jersey (the diagonal "Sox" logo with red trim) so that the two alternates aren't so similar. 

Thanks! I had a feeling you'd like it.

I didn't want any off-white uniforms, as that kind of defeats the purpose of the name "White Sox" (translation: white wherever possible). I can see what you're getting at with the script looking "incomplete," but I didn't see a problem with it. I suppose I could make the trail off of the "x" longer." I do like having the similar-style alternates, for maximum "team name at home, city name on road." If I had to change them up somehow, I'd consider adding an alternate cap for the home version (think white crown with a black bill).

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

You're going to make the Sox faithful plotz with the team in royal blue. 

In theory, I should appreciate the conceptual continuity of three Chicago teams in red and black, but 

1) unlike Pittsburgh and the black and gold, red and black aren't civic colors, they're just the Blackhawks' colors that the Bulls adopted as co-tenants and the White Sox coincidentally used for a couple years

2) many Bulls and Blackhawks fans are emphatically not White Sox fans and might not want that sort of commonality imposed upon them

What I do like is that you have a third application of colors: while the Hawks are red with white numbers outlined in black and the Bulls are red with black outlined in white, here you have black with white outlined in red, so everyone has their own spin. I like the return of the diamond-sock on the road (but don't need it at home), I like the implementation of the '87 White Sox script somewhere in the package (though my preference was always dugout jackets only, like the tailed Yankees script), and I love the white socks. I agree that the Winning Ugly uniforms are terrible and overexposed and live up to the second half of their nickname. The original SOX monogram with the O and X in the space of the S is such a good logo and needs some kind of full-time use today, maybe as the BP/ST hat. 

The White Sox are a tough team to do concepts for because other than correcting for their socks and undoing a couple of stupid recent changes, there's not much to improve upon.

EDIT: as for Phoenix in red/sand/black, it feels more Phoenix, but less Snakes. I could go either way.

Thanks, Admiral! I knew that using royal blue (translate: Cubbie Blue) would be a risk, but the uniform's dissimilarity to the Cubs' road uniforms made it work in this case.

As for the points on color imposition, I get that the White Sox's connection to that color scheme was more coincidence than "civic colors" and that Bulls/Blackhawks fans wouldn't want a team they dislike associating with them. Still, I've always liked black/red as a colorway, and the White Sox are probably the best team to don that scheme in baseball (not the Reds or Diamondbacks). 

I can see why the sock patch shouldn't be on the home uniform (the team name is already spelled out by the "Sox" logo, and the patch creates a little imbalance). I'll remove it in the update. 

7 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think the brighter shade of red is doing a ton of great work in the White Sox concept. I common problem in the Go Go Sox throwbacks is that the red blends into the black, creating a brownish. So upping the radiance on the red makes for much better contrast. 

I wasn't sure about the white outline on the road uniform but on a second viewing I like it. The "Chicago" script works a lot better with the additional white outline that the Tigers' "Detroit."

As a Sox fan, I am broadly opposed to the complete name "White Sox" appearing on any jersey as its only been worn that way for 5 seasons out of 117 (they've actually used "Chicago" for both jerseys more often). However, using it on a black alternate looks really nice so it works. Also the look of "White Sox" in white and red on a dark background was my first little league jersey so I definitely like it. 

My one tweak would be to drop the second black alt with "Chicago" and go with a red jersey for the road alt. 

Thanks. I had to brighten up the red so the whole thing didn't look like a muddy mess.

I had no idea that White Sox fans had any opposition to the full team name appearing on any uniform. I've always liked it, but that's just me (a non-fan that doesn't "get" why fans frown on some things). A red alt is out of the question, mostly because of how it brings them an extra step too close to the Red Sox. I wanted the White Sox to have a dash of red, but limit it to that. That's why none of the uniforms have red numbers, as it crosses a bit of a line.

Anyway, alternate take time!

CHICAGO WHITE SOX, PT. II - Greyscale goodness

This guy doesn't need much explanation. I carried over my modified wordmark to the current color scheme.

nivCDn4.png

The home and road uniforms don't change much, except for the addition of the socks from the first concept and the restoration of the patch and pants stripes to the road uniform.

veBMNYI.png

I added a "Chicago" road alternate, to go along with the one they've had since the early-1990's. I gave the home set non-pinstriped pants, as pinstripes and colored tops is a bad combo.

EbgYkXC.png

The retro uniforms are both home uniforms and would appear in an alternating pattern on Sunday home games. The first is a proper recreation of the 1959 home uniforms, and the second is the 1917 set from the previous concept. Both of these looks are popular, reflect successful teams, and aren't too garish.

xxWy4Z1.png

I had a mildly more radical idea in mind for the home and road uniforms, but I got cold feet on it. I wanted to incorporate the 1969-70 white text look onto the current road jersey, and while I liked it, I didn't think it worked with the colorway of the set (also note the 1942 script, which I canned). Click them for a zoomed-in size.

WTE2XC3.png RDOY63y.png

The White Sox spent 90 years searching for the perfect uniform set, and by Jove they got it. With these minor tweaks, they can keep all of the good parts of their current identity while living up to their nickname (white socks) and having a better retro uniform set. C+C is greatly appreciated!

Up next, the Kansas City Royals!

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I can see why the sock patch shouldn't be on the home uniform (the team name is already spelled out by the "Sox" logo, and the patch creates a little imbalance). I'll remove it in the update.

Yeah, it's just that the sleeve has either had a Comiskey Park logo or, since the sale of the naming rights, no logo at all. Ideally, neither the Cubs nor White Sox would have a sleeve patch at home, because I don't care for the imbalance of a chest logo and sleeve logo on one side and nothing on the other. Obviously, baseball custom dictates that you can't have a patch on the right arm, and I don't want either home logo replaced with a script, so the solution is just no patches.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/14/2017 at 5:32 PM, coco1997 said:

For some reason I've never liked the way the current road mark looks in white. However, the '69-70 "Chicago" script? Awesome

Looking forward to the Royals! 

Yeah, the current road script isn't "chunky" enough for the white text to work on a gray background. I'm glad I got cold feet on that one.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:56 PM, the admiral said:

Yeah, it's just that the sleeve has either had a Comiskey Park logo or, since the sale of the naming rights, no logo at all. Ideally, neither the Cubs nor White Sox would have a sleeve patch at home, because I don't care for the imbalance of a chest logo and sleeve logo on one side and nothing on the other. Obviously, baseball custom dictates that you can't have a patch on the right arm, and I don't want either home logo replaced with a script, so the solution is just no patches.

While I do agree with that to a point, I've always liked the Cubs' sleeve patches on their home uniforms. It doesn't feel "imbalanced" to me, because of the round logo. With the White Sox's diagonal logo, I can see the "imbalance."

Now, it's time to crown the Royals!

KANSAS CITY ROYALS, PT. I - Purple is the noblest shroud

If you asked me to go back in time and change one team's color scheme, it'd be the Royals. I know that the whole point of using Royal Blue was to look as much like the Dodgers as possible, but it just leaves the Royals without much of a distinct identity.* They barely use the metallic gold color, and I hold the unpopular opinion that the team looked like garbage in powder blue. But what would I have the Royals wear?

*I believe one of their owners wanted the team to be "the Dodgers of the Midwest" regarding success and appearance - which may be apocryphal.

The answer is simple, Royal Purple and Athletic Gold. Not only is it a unique color scheme in the Majors, but it's also just as connected to "royalty" as royal blue and metallic gold are. Purple has been a color of royalty since Antiquity (in Europe, Asia, and Polynesia), while gold has connotations of wealth. Purple and yellow's complementary nature (opposites on the color wheel) means that the two shades work well together. It was easy to adapt the Royals' identity to this new color scheme.

However, with this round, I wanted to improve on my previous editions. I opted for a lighter purple, while also making the gold shade more consistent. It brought a bit of "life" into the concept.

The logos are pretty much the same as my previous set, just with the "KCR" patch losing its circle and the addition of a retro logo. I decided not to reinstate the outline on the "KC," as the color scheme made the yellow stand out well from the background.

yEjZm6A.png

The home and road set feature the fuller striping of the late-80's/early-90's versions of their uniforms. The "Kansas City" wordmark now resembles the "Royals" script more, due to distortion. Here's a comparison. The number font is a "block with serif" fonts I've used on a bunch of concepts, as it nicely balances MLB Block Standard and Wilson's Varsity (Eriq Jaffe labeled it "Varsity Classic A"). Rawlings Block (the font used by the Orioles and formerly by the Cardinals, Angels, and Royals) is the NOB font. The "KCR" is on all uniforms, as a way to get the full name on the patch. I added sock stripes to fit with the colorway of the rest of the stripes (gold outlined in purple).

vBaVMSM.png

The alternates are pretty tame. The first one is a purple top for both home and road use (and an excuse to go outline-free), and the second one is a tribute to my favorite uniforms of the Negro League Kansas City Monarchs (worn in 1948). It would not replace their regular Negro League throwbacks, but rather be a supplement to them. I recreated the cap logo using the Chicago Cubs' "C" worn from 1940-56 and a Copperplate "K" (with some sizing modifications). There's no yellow alternate, as that brings them too close to the "traitorous" Athletics, and I want the A's to be the only team with yellow jerseys in the AL. 

WvWFj0z.png

Purple and yellow is a fantastic color scheme, and it's one that the Royals should have been wearing since 1969. While I don't want the Royals to change their colors to this, I still think it's a worthwhile exercise to show the adaptation of their identity into an equally-appropriate colorway. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

For my alternate take, I'll tackle the Royals with their current color scheme.

The Royals look fantastic! I'm really glad you lightened the purple, it really does wonders to complete the set. I also like how the simple yellow wordmark looks on the purple jersey. One suggestion I would make is to have the primary's 'KC' be yellow, in order to match all other applications.

Archived