MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've enjoyed everything you've done thus far, but I'm not 100% sold on the "B A" jersey. I know it's extremely traditional, but I just don't know how it would look on the modern uniform beyond looking beautiful on the standard flat template. What does it look like on a player in action?

On 5/28/2017 at 2:27 AM, Big Yellow Flag said:

I've enjoyed everything you've done thus far, but I'm not 100% sold on the "B A" jersey. I know it's extremely traditional, but I just don't know how it would look on the modern uniform beyond looking beautiful on the standard flat template. What does it look like on a player in action?

Ā 

Since you're wondering what the "action versions" might look like, here they are!
Ā 

7Npffia.pngĀ j6SmPhI.png

Ā 

I think it works on both templates (the first being a @jayjackson3Ā design, while the second is from @DAHOF).

Ā 

...and now, the debut of the first of two expansion teams!

Ā 

CAROLINA PILOTS, PT. I - First in Flight

Ā 

Ā 

In finding an expansion team for the American League, I settled upon the Carolinas. It would give the AL East a team in the South (parallel to the Braves), and maybe make travel easier for the Tampa Bay _____rays.

Ā 

I chose the name Pilots for several reasons. The first would be to reference the achievements of the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk, and the second would be to resurrect the name of the departed Seattle team (which is too good to have fallen out of use). I am not the first to think of this name for a Carolina expansion team (or the first to think of this color scheme for them), but I am the first to go all-in on the early aviation aesthetic for the team.Ā 

Ā 

The assumption would be that this team would play in either CharlotteĀ or Raleigh, adopting a state name to both avoid alienation and acknowledge Kitty Hawk (about 371 away from Charlotte, and 206 miles away from Raleigh).

Ā 

The color scheme is a modified version of Tuft's beautiful brown/light blueĀ (something I thought about for the Padres, but rejected). I adjusted the light blue to have a bit more separation (and to slightly differentiate it from UNC's blue - remember that this is a Carolina team, not a North Carolina team). Tan enters the color scheme to compliment the brown, mimicking an aviator jacket.Ā 

Ā 

The font is a modified version ofĀ MarthasĀ (because of its resemblance to vintage aviation imagery), which is aligned upwards to reflect a plane taking off. The tail is from the Twins' road script, with a center contrail added (since I'm not using these tails for the Twins - and I wanted to use them somewhere). The logos are homages toĀ pilots' insignias, with appropriate baseball touches. This is also why the secondary logo uses the word "squadron" instead of "club." The primary uses the wordmark as balance for centering/scaling, and would be absent on the uniforms. As mentioned before, an illustration of theĀ Wright Flyer I graces the secondary logo.

Ā 

I6z3O3l.png

Ā 

The uniforms have a bit of a neo-classical touch to them. They use a neo-retro number font (a modified version of what the AstrosĀ use - which should clue you in on my plans for them), the primary on the sleeve, contrast-colored bills, black cleats (brown shoes would be a little clog-ish), and sock stripes that reflect the sleeve striping. The Dallas Stars' NOB font, which is bolder than Block Standard, is the new NOB font.

Ā 

OcmuUcR.png

Ā 

The alternates are basic recolors of the home and road uniforms. The light blue set features both an alternate cap and socks, to make more use out of that fantastic color. The brown shirt features a blue-heavy cap logo and scriptsĀ so that the jersey can work with both white and gray pants. The secondary logo graces its sleeve.

Ā 

Rx2vxs6.png

Ā 

The other alternates include a pairing of the home uniform with the blue cap and socksĀ and a retro alternate based around the 1950's-'60s Charlotte Hornets of the South Atlantic League. This alternate, featuring Under Armour's Tiffany font, the secondary logo, and the team name, is an attempt to ground this new team into the baseball history of the state (mimicking the look that many of the 1960's Minnesota Twins wore in Charlotte). Also, with that color scheme, how could I pass up a cream alt?

Ā 

41G6QdL.png

Ā 

While I doubt that the majors would expand into the Carolinas, I still think that this is an excellent direction a team could take should expansion occur. I love the vintage aviation aesthetic, and I think I've presented it in a way that fits with major league-level identities while still being unique. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always (please comment, and don't just "like" this post, thanks).

Ā 

For my alternate take, we take a look at the Seattle namesake of these Pilots.

Ā 

P.S. If you're wondering why I chose #27 for the uniforms, it's in reference to North Carolina-born pitcher/Hall of Famer Jim "Catfish" Hunter.

17 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ā 

Since you're wondering what the "action versions" might look like, here they are!
Ā 

7Npffia.pngĀ j6SmPhI.png

Ā 

I think it works on both templates (the first being a @jayjackson3Ā design, while the second is from @DAHOF).

Ā 

...and now, the debut of the first of two expansion teams!

Ā 

CAROLINA PILOTS, PT. I - First in Flight

Ā 

Ā 

In finding an expansion team for the American League, I settled upon the Carolinas. It would give the AL East a team in the South (parallel to the Braves), and maybe make travel easier for the Tampa Bay _____rays.

Ā 

I chose the name Pilots for several reasons. The first would be to reference the achievements of the Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk, and the second would be to resurrect the name of the departed Seattle team (which is too good to have fallen out of use). I am not the first to think of this name for a Carolina expansion team (or the first to think of this color scheme for them), but I am the first to go all-in on the early aviation aesthetic for the team.Ā 

Ā 

The assumption would be that this team would play in either CharlotteĀ or Raleigh, adopting a state name to both avoid alienation and acknowledge Kitty Hawk (about 371 away from Charlotte, and 206 miles away from Raleigh).

Ā 

The color scheme is a modified version of Tuft's beautiful brown/light blueĀ (something I thought about for the Padres, but rejected). I adjusted the light blue to have a bit more separation (and to slightly differentiate it from UNC's blue - remember that this is a Carolina team, not a North Carolina team). Tan enters the color scheme to compliment the brown, mimicking an aviator jacket.Ā 

Ā 

The font is a modified version ofĀ MarthasĀ (because of its resemblance to vintage aviation imagery), which is aligned upwards to reflect a plane taking off. The tail is from the Twins' road script, with a center contrail added (since I'm not using these tails for the Twins - and I wanted to use them somewhere). The logos are homages toĀ pilots' insignias, with appropriate baseball touches. This is also why the secondary logo uses the word "squadron" instead of "club." The primary uses the wordmark as balance for centering/scaling, and would be absent on the uniforms. As mentioned before, an illustration of theĀ Wright Flyer I graces the secondary logo.

Ā 

I6z3O3l.png

Ā 

The uniforms have a bit of a neo-classical touch to them. They use a neo-retro number font (a modified version of what the AstrosĀ use - which should clue you in on my plans for them), the primary on the sleeve, contrast-colored bills, black cleats (brown shoes would be a little clog-ish), and sock stripes that reflect the sleeve striping. The Dallas Stars' NOB font, which is bolder than Block Standard, is the new NOB font.

Ā 

pzEV5uZ.png

Ā 

The alternates are basic recolors of the home and road uniforms. The light blue set features both an alternate cap and socks, to make more use out of that fantastic color. The brown shirt features a blue-heavy cap logo and scriptsĀ so that the jersey can work with both white and gray pants. The secondary logo graces its sleeve.

Ā 

Rx2vxs6.png

Ā 

The other alternates include a pairing of the home uniform with the blue cap and socksĀ and a retro alternate based around the 1950's-'60s Charlotte Hornets of the South Atlantic League. This alternate, featuring Under Armour's Tiffany font, the secondary logo, and the team name, is an attempt to ground this new team into the baseball history of the state (mimicking the look that many of the 1960's Minnesota Twins wore in Charlotte). Also, with that color scheme, how could I pass up a cream alt?

Ā 

41G6QdL.png

Ā 

While I doubt that the majors would expand into the Carolinas, I still think that this is an excellent direction a team could take should expansion occur. I love the vintage aviation aesthetic, and I think I've presented it in a way that fits with major league-level identities while still being unique. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

Ā 

For my alternate take, we take a look at the Seattle namesake of these Pilots.

I still wonder why no pro team has ever took off and ran with the brown/light blue torch. I love how it looks, especially considering it's close toĀ Carolina blue.

The thing I think about most is which city would win out in actuallyĀ being the Pilots' home.Ā Yeah, Charlotte is the bigger city, but Raleigh is pretty big in its own right (we have the Hurricanes, remember? ...oh wait, no one does) and is right next to Durham, which has some AAA team you may have seen in a movie one time.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

The Pilots look great! As for location, my vote goes to Charlotte; it's not only the larger city, but much closer to South Carolina than Raleigh. If I owned the team, I'd want to draw in as many fans as I could from both states.

53Ocz8U.png

That has to be one of, if not the best, Carolina MLB team concepts I have seen on these boards. Everything about it, from the color scheme, to the font, to the use of "squadron" instead of "club" (I love this), this is the definition of a great brand. Well done.Ā :notworthy:

Ā 

Can't see what other redesigns you have in store. All I can say is that this is going to be a hell of a thread.Ā 

This is one thing I just noticed, but when you sayĀ the wordmark was added to the primary for centering and scaling, what do you mean by that? I'm just wondering because personally, I think you could afford to remove the wordmark from the primary, so as toĀ avoid the conflicting angles that the wordmark presents.

Ā 

That was the only possible flaw I could find in this entire set though of course, everything else looks phenomenal.

Thanks for the C+C and kind words guys, I really appreciate it!

Ā 

On 6/3/2017 at 7:09 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

I still wonder why no pro team has ever took off and ran with the brown/light blue torch. I love how it looks, especially considering it's close toĀ Carolina blue.

The thing I think about most is which city would win out in actuallyĀ being the Pilots' home.Ā Yeah, Charlotte is the bigger city, but Raleigh is pretty big in its own right (we have the Hurricanes, remember? ...oh wait, no one does) and is right next to Durham, which has some AAA team you may have seen in a movie one time.

Ā 

On 6/3/2017 at 10:02 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

The Pilots look great! As for location, my vote goes to Charlotte; it's not only the larger city, but much closer to South Carolina than Raleigh. If I owned the team, I'd want to draw in as many fans as I could from both states.

Ā 

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm leaning towards basing them in Charlotte (despite the amount of money that the city invested in the probably non-expandable stadium for the Charlotte Knights). Since Charlotte is too far inland to really work with the "Pilots" name or the aviation history, I'd still go with the "Carolina" name.Ā 

Ā 

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

This is one thing I just noticed, but when you sayĀ the wordmark was added to the primary for centering and scaling, what do you mean by that? I'm just wondering because personally, I think you could afford to remove the wordmark from the primary, so as toĀ avoid the conflicting angles that the wordmark presents.

Ā 

That was the only possible flaw I could find in this entire set though of course, everything else looks phenomenal.

Ā 

What I meant by "centering and scaling" was that the logo without the wordmark was a bit on the wide side, which made it a bit awkward to use alongside other logos in the leagues. With a wordmark, the "bounding box" of the whole logo is a bit more square, which makes it easier to center and scale (which is why roundels and shield shapes are so popular). I hope that answers your question.

Ā 

Anyway, onto the alternate take on a defunct team!

Ā 

CAROLINA/SEATTLE PILOTS, PT. II - Seattle-izing the Pilots

Ā 

Like the previous defunct team (and some future ones), this resurrection will also steer the team in a new direction. Let us presume that by the time the team moved to the Kingdome in the mid-1970's, the success of the aviation-themed Supersonics, presence of the blue/green/silver Seahawks, and/or new ownership that didn't like the naval theme changed up the imagery to reflect aviation and the Cascadian color schemeĀ (the Doug flag). The other explanation would be the team following the early-1990's trend of darkening blues, emphasizing the "trendy" teal and metallic colors, and focus groups negating the naval connection to the name "Pilots."Ā This is also an excuse to post a video about the significance of the word "pilot" as it relates to suburban SUV's and dad jokes.

Ā 

Think of it as an attempt to applyĀ the 1993/94 redesigns of the Mariners and Brewers to their ancestor team. The teal has been lightened to better contrast with navy, and metallic gold is now an accent color.

Ā 

The primary logo uses a combination of the Mariners' 30th anniversary patch and my Sonics concept, as well as a profile of a Boeing-Stearman Model 75 (a WWII-era aircraft). Wings return from the Carolina concept. The fonts are Badger Light and Badger Heavy, which come from a modification of Aachen Bold (1990's/neo-retro combination). The secondary/cap logo uses a propeller in the same way that the Mariners' insignia uses a compass rose. The tertiary logo is a Seattle-ified version of the Carolina team's secondary logo.

Ā 

35079794725_f267a2492d_b.jpg

Ā 

The home and road uniforms use the template of my Carolina concept, as it worked with the colors. The number font is also the modified Astros' number font, as it fit with the slab-serif lettering.Ā 

Ā 

34692629340_2fcd7af47b_b.jpg

Ā 

The alternates are similar to the Mariners' home and road alternates, with the navy one getting a teal-centric overhaul and the home set using the tertiary logo as a patch.

Ā 

34692629270_4a0e60bd2f_b.jpg

Ā 

The teal-billed cap can be paired with the home uniform as an alternate. The home throwback is my best approximation of the Pilots' home uniforms (because they had a lot of little variations - often overlookedĀ in reproductions). There's no "100th anniversary" patch, as I presumed the cash-strapped team would have kept their flannels until at least 1971. I also corrected a mistake made with the Mariners' current retro set by making the base white, not cream (I'm also using the original shades, and not the recreated ones).

Ā 

35079795055_721d26da2e_b.jpg

Ā 

I've always been bugged that we never got to see the Pilots get the "Cascadian" treatment or paired with an aviation (not naval) theme. Now, my curiosityĀ can be satisfied! C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

Ā 

Up next, the Cleveland Indians!

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

What I meant by "centering and scaling" was that the logo without the wordmark was a bit on the wide side, which made it a bit awkward to use alongside other logos in the leagues. With a wordmark, the "bounding box" of the whole logo is a bit more square, which makes it easier to center and scale (which is why roundels and shield shapes are so popular). I hope that answers your question.

Ah, yes I couldĀ see that. Maybe you could do it like the Seattle version of the logo, and make a straight version of the wordmark? I think that could look good and accomplish the same goal.

Ā 

And the Seattle version of the Pilots looks fantastic as well. I really love how navy, teal, and sand/gold looks as a color scheme, it's probably my favorite possible color combination, and its implemented nicely here. I'd even suggest to maybe make the gold the road color to incorporate it slightly more. Also, using the front propeller in place of the compass rose is simply a stroke of genius. Wonderful job again.

Another outstanding concept. Your work never ceases to amaze me. I really can't say anything beyond what @MJD7Ā already said.Ā 

Ā 

Excited to see your take on the Indians. I find it interesting that you kept their navy and red color scheme. I'llĀ be ecstatic if the "Part 2" is a new identity for the Tribe.Ā 

ThanksĀ for the C+C guys!

Ā 

If you want to see the genesis of the Carolina Pilots, here you go!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

My first idea for the team was to name them the Carolina Aviators. I ran through several editions, including ones with a black/light blue/yellow color scheme, brown/light blue/Carolina Blue colorways, and a cursive script font (Fenway Park JF, a font that I've usedĀ with modifications in the past). The plane that would later become the Seattle Pilots' plane made its debut here, before some reworking/simplification. The whole process involves a lot of tinkering over time, playing with little ideas as they come to me and tweaking them to a presentable point.

Ā 

Now, the main attraction, and one of the most thoroughly-researched concepts I've made!Ā 

Ā 

CLEVELAND INDIANS, PT. I - Spokane-ifying the identity

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It's not surprisingĀ that the Cleveland baseball club has been having troubles with their brandingĀ for some time. While the organization has tried to stress the "block C" (which has been with the team since their days as the Cleveland Blues)Ā over Chief "Little Red Sambo" WahooĀ (it's racist,Ā get over it), they seem hesitant to rip the band-aid off completely. Part of that would be the brand equity behind Wahoo, and the other part is that the "block C" is so bland. Some people want them toĀ bring back the "caveman C" (an overpraised piece of 1970's kitsch that exhibits traits of "primitive cultures" lettering - which brings up troubling implications while looking terrible), while others want to adopt the "block C with feathers" route. The "block C with feathers" is my preferred course, but I decided to build upon it.

Ā 

One of the best examples of a Native American-themed identity in sports is the Spokane Indians of the Northwest League. They worked with the local Salish tribes to refine their logos, promote Native American causes and culture throughout the stadium, and even wear Salish language jerseys. I wanted to see what it would look like if the Cleveland Indians did the same (something @Lights OutĀ hinted at in his series).

Ā 

While I initially wanted to pay tribute toĀ tribes from Ohio, I decided (with some help from posters like @hawk36Ā andĀ @Gothamite) that the best route would be to link the team to the "Indian" who played for the team and became their apocryphal namesake, Louis Sockalexis of the Maine Penobscots. The article mentioned above claimed the Penobscots' tribal councilĀ opposingĀ Wahoo, so I'm not sure how receptive they would be to the team working with them to "refine" the brand. However, assuming there was cooperation between the Penobscots and the team, this is how I think it would play out. There would also be cultural awareness events at the stadium, financial contributions to the Penobscot Nation and other Native American groups, and other practices.

Ā 

The color scheme is still navy/red. They have worn navy since 1901 (going by the name "Blues" from 1901- and red since 1933, and changing the color scheme wholesale would alienate even more fans than deleting Wahoo. Instead, I got creative and shifted the color scheme to a red-dominant one (theĀ other red-dominantĀ teams in my AL areĀ the Angels and Diamondbacks - you'll see) with powder blue as an accent color (an idea I floated in @Victormrey's excellent thread, along with the Penobscot seal link). That way, they can be separate from the other navy/red teams without sacrificing their color scheme. The red-dominant look also has precedence in their history, with the 1965-69Ā vest set, the 1994-2001 home uniforms, and the current home uniforms.

Ā 

The new "block C with feathers" uses a more abstract feather (inspired by a @raysoxĀ concept), which emerges from the insignia's outline. The secondary logo takes cues from the Penobscot seal, with the double curve motive (based on a plate from this book of Algonkian art) and the sun pattern.1 The logo features the Abenaki (the Penobscot's language family) word for Indians, "Alnōbak" (as sourced from Joseph Laurent's bookĀ and J. Dyneley Prince's article) - presented to the best of my interpretation.2Ā I used the TribeType font for the logo and wordmark text.

Ā 

3Gy9ovE.png

Ā 

As for the uniforms, they draw inspiration from several eras. The scripts are modernizations of the ones found onĀ the 1946-49 (the tail) and the 1951-57 (the lettering) home uniforms. The update is similar to what the current home (and former road) script do, without the "uncanny valley" effect of the thick lettering and "perfect" alignment.Ā I used Nike's Beaverton Script font as a base, with some drastic modifications (i.e. the connecting parts of the letters, the twist in the "C" - like Raysox's concept, and the bends in the letter tops)Ā and the addition of tails. I added feathers to the scripts, to tie them in with the cap and sleeve logos.

Ā 

The red caps/undershirts/belts/socks are off of the 1965-69 vest set. The jersey, pants, and sock stripes all incorporate the new light blue color (with white highlighting it on gray and red backgrounds). The asymmetry on the jersey and pants stripes comes from the 1994-2001 set. I kept the block standard numbers/NOB's (without obsolete nameplates) because I like them and fewer teams use block standard in my series.

Ā 

There are ten double-curves on the uniforms, counting the ones in the logo and the one in the center of each sleeve's striping. The motif stands for the ten players on the team (including pitcher and DH) united together, while also not divorcing theĀ double-curve from its cultural context. Per "The primary significance of the double-curve and scroll figures among the Penobscot was a sort of political symbolism. The double curves represented the bonds uniting the different members of the chief's family, the subdivisions of the tribe, or the officers of the council."3Ā This way, the symbolism doesn't come across as cultural appropriation (I use that term in its proper context, and not as a catch-all phrase - let's let this funny video sum up what I mean).

Ā 

PCYznQR.png

Ā 

The alternates also follow through with the design choices of the home/road set. The colored top is now red, paired with navy undershirts/belts/socks and a navy cap with a red bill. The navy accessories help to balance out the red jersey and tie the set to the team's long history of navy-crowned/red-billed caps and navy accessories. The second alternate is a script swap of the home uniform, featuring anĀ "Alnōbak" script and the emblem of the Penobscot Nation (sourced from this website).4Ā While I don't like using flags on sports uniforms, I felt it fit in with the alternate's goal of promoting Penobscot cultural preservation efforts.5

Ā 

xYkxNpG.png

Ā 

The second set of alternates include a throwback for July 5, in honor of Larry Doby breaking the color barrier in the American League. A new patch graces this recreation of the 1947 home uniform, replacing the crummy proto-Wahoo of the original uniform (Larry Doby wasn't keen on Wahoo, according to apocryphal sources). The other alternate is a "clash kit" of sorts, for wearing against teams with red caps/undershirts/belts/socks. It's also my "lip service" to the navy-centric 1994-2001 road uniforms.

Ā 

3RjO9hh.png

Ā 

While I doubt the Cleveland Indians will follow in Spokane's example, I do think this concept is a reasonable path for the team to follow should they communicate with the Penobscot Nation. They can have an identity that both honors Louis Sockalexis and the Penobscots while keeping connections to their historical branding and separating themselves from the other navy/red teams. Thank you for sticking with this long post, what with all of the links and citations. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

Ā 

Up next, a new identity for the Cleveland baseball club and it's "Guardian" spirits!

Ā 

Note: The numbers used for uniform modeling are #14 for Larry Doby, and #18 for my favorite Cleveland Indian (andĀ Giants broadcaster), the legendaryĀ Duane Kuiper!

Ā 

Footnotes

1Frank Gouldsmith Speck, The Double-Curve Motive in Northeastern Algonkian Art (Ottawaā€Æ: Government printing office, 1914), 27.Ā http://archive.org/details/doublecurvemotiv00speciala.; ā€œTribal Flag,ā€ accessed June 12, 2017, http://www.penobscotculture.com/index.php/tribal-flag.,Ā 

2Joseph Laurent, New Familiar Abenakis and English Dialogues: The First Ever Published on the Grammatical System (L. Brousseau, 1884), 54.; J. Dyneley Prince, ā€œThe Penobscot Language of Maine,ā€ American Anthropologist 12, no. 2 (1910): 189-90.

3Speck, The Double-Curve Motive in Northeastern Algonkian Art, 4-5.Ā http://archive.org/details/doublecurvemotiv00speciala.

4Richard Fitchen, ā€œWho Took More Scalps, Native Americans or European Colonists?,ā€ Richard Fitchen, February 12, 2015, http://www.richardfitchen.com/2015/02/12/who-took-more-scalps-native-americans-or-european-colonists/.

5ā€œHistoric Preservation,ā€ accessed June 13, 2017, http://www.penobscotculture.com/index.php/historic-preservation.

Cleveland looks terrific, but then again what else is new? Haha I love whenever concepts try to "Spokane-ify" the Indians as you put it, like @Lights Out's concept, as it truly gives respectful attention to the name. I particularly love the Sunday alternate.

Ā 

I also find your behind-the-scenes look at the making of Carolina really interesting, I always love to see that kind of stuffĀ as your thoughts develop in the design process. You're only a few teams in, and this is already shaping up to be one of my favorite series I've ever seen. Fantastic job.

I love that you really emphasized the red for Cleveland, as their mid to late '60s uniforms were the best they ever looked, IMO. The inclusion of light blue adds a nice splash of color, too.

Ā 

The only gripe I have is that at a glance, the "v" in "Cleveland" looks like an "o."

Ā 

Can't wait to see the rebranded Cleveland concept!

Thanks for the C+C guys, I really appreciate it.

Ā 

Well, here's the next one!

Ā 

CLEVELAND INDIANS, PT. II - A Guardian Spirit

Ā 

What if the Indians decided that their name was too linked to Wahoo? What if the team decided to ditch all Native American imagery in favor of a new identity? Well, here's a potential new identity.

Ā 

I decided to not use any names from the club's past. "Blues" was too close to Blue Jays for my liking, and the name is already used by St. Louis' NHL team. I didn't like "Naps," and "Spiders" was too closely tied to the literal worst team in professional baseball's history. A new name would have to have a Cleveland-oriented theme to it. When looking at local architecture and other "new name" Indians concepts, I hit upon a basis for a new identity - the Guardians of Traffic on the Hope Memorial BridgeĀ (an unknown artist andĀ Christian ColbertĀ were the Guardian concepts that inspired my redesign).

Ā 

Duda-Cleveland-Guardian-Sepia.jpg

Ā 

These art deco sculptures, which reside about a half-mile away from Progressive Field, are Cleveland icons. Using them as the basis of an identity could work (a roller derby team already uses them). So, I decided to build the logos, striping, and fonts around the aesthetics of the statues.Ā 

Ā 

I picked maroon and orange to be the new colors. It's unused at the major-league level, and it looks fantastic on Virginia Tech. There's also the Cleveland connection, with the Cavaliers' maroon (wine) and the Browns' orange (a connection made by another poster, but I can't find the post). I added in the Minnesota Wild's wheat color for the statue's face, as both maroon and orange faces looked strange.

Ā 

The primary logo is a rendering of the statue from right side of the top picture of Paul Duda's gallery.Ā I based the style of the portrait around both the Ottawa Senator's updated 2D logo and the Boston/Milwaukee Braves' 1945-55 Native American portrait.Ā The font is a modified version of Marthas, the same font I used in my Pilots concept, as I thought it worked with the statues' lines and composition. TheĀ tertiary logo incorporates the shading pattern from the top of the statues (recreated in this poster), and references 1901 as a founding date (new name, same old club).

Ā 

tCBTwnZ.png

Ā 

The uniform stripes (on the sleeves, pants, and socks) incorporateĀ the center pattern of the statues. It gives the team a bit more of a modern twist to their design. The number font is the Tampa Bay Lightning's current font, as I felt that a modern block font (with angled edges) was a more "grounded" look than a display font. The Guardian logo is on the sleeves, serving the same function as Wahoo does now.Ā The number on the uniforms is #32, for Hope Memorial Bridge's opening date of 1932.

Ā 

lj7Q0PU.png

Ā 

The alternates are also pretty standard. The Guardian moves to the hat on the home/road alternate, mimicking the current Wahoo home cap.Ā The Sunday alternate is a classic-cut vest fauxback-ing to the 1965-69 uniforms that I love so much.Ā These don't have the art deco stripes (aside from the socks), as vests don't need big stripes.

Ā 

sjpXo52.png

Ā 

While I doubt the "Indians" name will go away, I hope that my concept illustrates a good path for the Indians to take their brand if they wanted to go local and gain a unique color scheme. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Ā 

Up next, the Detroit Tigers!

Archived