SFGiants58

MLB: Project 32 - Oakland Athletics, Pt. I Added

146 posts in this topic

It's your concept man just say "hey I know this is unpopular with some Twins fans but I wanted to see how it looked." If people disagree--so what? I can respect your thoughts and decision making on how you think the TC can be improved while still disagreeing with you and not finding it to my taste. I didn't attack you personally in any of my comments, and I gave my own reasons for why I think the current logo of the team I've rooted for for 20 years should stay as is. Obviously we disagree, but did that warrant digging up years-old posts and going on a pre-emptive tirade? And you still want to persist in calling me close-minded? If you hadn't said anything I probably would have commented that while I prefer the original TC this is one of the better alternatives I've seen--I think it's the fact that it keeps the interlocking letters where previous concepts flattened them together.

I like the Twin Cities script a lot.

I appreciate the apology, and I think you're a talented designer, but honestly I probably won't comment on your concepts again. Best of luck to you.

I like the green/blue Twins more than I thought I would, but IMO, the scripts/numbers on the regular home and road should be green with blue outlines instead of the other way around. They'd be easier to read that way.

I'd still prefer purple and gold for the Twins over any other color scheme, though.

Green and blue Twins look really nice. I like the idea of a "Twin Cities" jersey, I'd consider going with that on the blue/red version for the alternate rather than "Twins."

That color scheme is Minnesotan af; I love it. I wish that's what the Twolves would have gone with.  Maybe the blue could be a little less brighter and more powdery, but that's really a small gripe.  I like this concept a lot more, as I think the colors are much more balanced throughout the set in my opinion, not to mention that I would buy a shirt with that tertiary logo in a heartbeat. 

On 7/20/2017 at 5:33 PM, MJD7 said:

Woah! I was not expecting the green to be nearly that dark, but I love it. Although I probably like the state-shaped primary logo more, this is not a bad compromise in the slightest. The set as a whole gives me a UNC vibe, which I really love.

I think you could take it further if you wanted by making the set primarily light blue, starting with making the alternate cap the primary and removing the pinstripes from the home. That's just my personal taste, but regardless this is my favorite set you've put out thusfar.

Thanks! Going light blue-centric was a last minute decision, and I think a super light blue look would make for a fine little experiment (for after the AL is done).

23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Twins turned out really nice, but the wordmarks and numbers on the home jersey are a little muddied-looking. I think you should invert the colors, making them green with light blue trim. 

Regardless of what you end up doing, I look forward to Oakland!

9 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I like the green/blue Twins more than I thought I would, but IMO, the scripts/numbers on the regular home and road should be green with blue outlines instead of the other way around. They'd be easier to read that way.

I'd still prefer purple and gold for the Twins over any other color scheme, though.

Thanks guys! I'm going to be making an "inverted" version of the set in an update. 

@Lights Out, I liked your purple/gold Twins concept. Those harlequin BP jerseys were fantastic! If I hadn't used that color scheme on the Royals, I would've probably had the Twins wear it (because purple and yellow's contrast would have made an old-style "TC" logo look fantastic). 

9 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Green and blue Twins look really nice. I like the idea of a "Twin Cities" jersey, I'd consider going with that on the blue/red version for the alternate rather than "Twins."

I thought about that, and I think I can mock it up at some point. I'd probably use the "M" hat with it, to avoid redundancy.

9 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

That color scheme is Minnesotan af; I love it. I wish that's what the Twolves would have gone with.  Maybe the blue could be a little less brighter and more powdery, but that's really a small gripe.  I like this concept a lot more, as I think the colors are much more balanced throughout the set in my opinion, not to mention that I would buy a shirt with that tertiary logo in a heartbeat. 

Thank you! Funny thing is, I've done a Timberwolves concept with a similar color scheme (it's my favorite NBA concept I've produced). The strong blue was part of my attempt to have a blue that contrasted better with a grey/white background, and yeah, a lighter powder would have been a better choice in some applications. 

Also, I offer a general apology for my dickish tirade a few posts ago. It was ill thought-out of me, and I am sorry. Anyway, Oak-town time!

OAKLAND ATHLETICS, PT. I - The Kings of Kelly

The A's have rarely had a bad look in their history, and I love their current uniforms (the sock stripes of the 1960's uniforms enhanced them a bunch). However, I also love the Kelly Green of the 1960's-early 1980's. I'm torn between whether or not I want them to switch back to Kelly Green or stick with Forest Green. Kelly won out, on the condition that the A's could own that color in baseball. I've already done an A's concept with the same basic idea (current identity mixed with Kelly - Pantone 349 C from my Stars and Supersonics concepts those curious), but I felt I could go further. 

The elephant crest (which is still white, per the origin story of the logo) is now the primary, and I've dumped the roundel in favor of an Old English "O," done up in the style of the gorgeous 1968 wordmark (I teased it here). A bit more "Oakland" in the identity is a good move, given the A's "Rooted in Oakland" campaign this year. I've tweaked the "A's" logo a bit, to make it more narrow and more receptive to outlines, without it being all "gangly" like the current logo. Here are comparisons of the new logo with previous ones, in outlined and non-outlined forms.

LYuMGXY.png

The uniforms from my previous concepts return, with the updated "A's" insignia. I also carried over the simplified Old English "O" onto the "Oakland" script (as others have done, like Lights Out), for consistency with the home wordmark. The model number is #35, for Rickey Henderson's original uniform number with the team. 

J0ZNxoa.png

The alternates have also received a small update, with the new "A's" logo on the jerseys and the Old English "O" cap on the green alternate. I wanted to do something like that for an alternate cap, as a way to get one city-centric cap into the set and have some city signifier for the alt's use on the road.

ym5qssi.png

Kelly Green needs more exposure in sports, and the A's are the perfect team to carry the Kelly torch! C+C is greatly appreciated, as always.

For the alternate take, you'll get Forest Green and Athletic Gold with an Oakland-centric twist!

2 people like this

The A's look great. That Old English "O" logo is very sharp!