MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

I have some ideas for alternate Marlins versions:

One is what if the team were called the Miami Marlins from the beginning in 1993,

What if the Marlins had stayed the Florida Marlins when they moved into their new ballpark in 2012

What if the Marlins moved to San Antonio in 2010, as the Marlins rejected a bid from the city to move there in 2005?

What if the Florida/Miami franchise became the Flamingoes instead of the Marlins?

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice updates all around! I particularly like how the Angel's contrasting sleeves turned out, and all of the other updates are really nice. I probably prefer the brick over the sedona red for the Rangers, just because it's a nice color for them to own.

Looking forward to the NL East, the Braves in particular look quite intriguing. 

What would be logical to me since you've done modern takes on the St. Louis Browns, Seattle Pilots, and PCL's Oakland Oaks, if I was you I would do a modern take on the Boston Braves and Washington Senators. For Miami, it would be a hoot, if you did them what they would've looked like in Back to the Future Part II with that logo they had in the movie.

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

We're getting les Expos back! That's good! The Pirates are wearing vests. That's bad. The Phils are in burgundy! That's good! The NL East doesn't have the Cubs and Cardinals. That's bad.

Can I just have my Krusty doll?

I like having the Pirates in vests, as they're really the only team that ever looked good in them (the classic cut kind, not the ones that were just set-in sleeve jerseys without sleeves). I also wanted my divisions to be a bit more geographic, which is why the Braves and Reds are in the East and the Cubs and Cardinals are in the West (with their old NL Central buddies - the Brewers and the Astros). I don't Reds-Dodgers or Mets-Cubs to be compelling enough rivalries to go against a geographic divisional alignment. 

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Lots of updates to discuss!

- As expected, flipping the colors on the green & powder blue Twins' home and road wordmarks makes them much more legible. 

- Not sure how I feel about the Sox's white cap, but  it's a nice idea.

- I really dig those Oaks fauxbacks. Very classy!

- The simplified outlines on the Rangers Heritage jersey are a big improvement.

Very excited to see what you have in store for the NL East. That teaser is tantalizing! 

P.S. In my comment about the Chaparrals' color scheme, I meant to say it works better for them than it did the Astros, not the D-Backs.  

Thanks! I thought that a white cap for the White Sox might be a fun idea, if only so I could put my own spin on it (since pretty much every MLB series here has at least one white-crowned cap for them). 

I'm surprised that the two-color version of the Rangers' Heritage script was well-received, considering the contrast between brick red and slate blue.

19 hours ago, TheBigBuc said:

I have some ideas for alternate Marlins versions:

One is what if the team were called the Miami Marlins from the beginning in 1993,

What if the Marlins had stayed the Florida Marlins when they moved into their new ballpark in 2012

What if the Marlins moved to San Antonio in 2010, as the Marlins rejected a bid from the city to move there in 2005?

What if the Florida/Miami franchise became the Flamingoes instead of the Marlins?

Thank you for these suggestions! I'm having a bit of a tough time figuring out what to do with the Marlins. The rainbow idea (suggest by @the admiral and @Lights Out) has been done and done better than I could do it (I really like it, BTW) and the "1993-2011 but with Miami instead of Florida" has been done to death here. Whatever I do, I think it'll be a nice surprise.

6 hours ago, Topherlee2 said:

What would be logical to me since you've done modern takes on the St. Louis Browns, Seattle Pilots, and PCL's Oakland Oaks, if I was you I would do a modern take on the Boston Braves and Washington Senators. For Miami, it would be a hoot, if you did them what they would've looked like in Back to the Future Part II with that logo they had in the movie.

With the Boston Braves, it'd just be me swapping out the "Atlanta" script for a "Boston" one. It really wouldn't be "different" enough to work. I've never liked the name "Senators (as it fits the Ottawa NHL team so much more)," so I doubt we'll be seeing any alternate take using that name. Also, the "Miami Gators" thing is too gimmicky for my tastes (like the Pacers' "Hickory" alternates).

Anyway, onto the Braves!

ATLANTA BRAVES, PT. I - You won't notice it, but your brain will.

When going into this series, I was unsure about what to do with the team. I was already happy with my previous concept, in which I removed the road cap, overhauled the navy alternate, and did a "neo-retro" take on the "715" uniforms (like their old BP cap). That was on top of adding a few Boston/Milwaukee Braves touches (the Northwestern-style striped socks, the "Midnight Navy" shade, and the contrast-colored tomahawk). I decided to do some miniscule tweaking, to refine it.

The most notable adjustment is that I redid the kerning of the "Atlanta" script, to better match the "Braves" wordmark. Here is a comparison.

77g54Hi.png

I adjusted the striping on the uniforms to be a little thinner, so it's not as bloated as the current uniforms. The arched NOB, Northwestern-striped socks, and contrast-colored tomahawk (in navy, not black) all return. There's no road cap, as it's really unnecessary.

cBMmRC9.png

The alternates are simple enough. The navy alternate now has a contrast-colored tomahawk, based on this Milwaukee Braves jacket. Instead of the cream alternate being a 1966 throwback, it is instead my attempt to honor the history of the Braves franchise and Atlanta baseball. The cap logo and the drop shadows come from the Atlanta Black Crackers, while the crest-style uniform descends from the Braves' time in Boston.

5U66sSK.png

All in all, little changes go a long way to make the Braves look better. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

For the alternate take, something with a decidedly more "Atlanta" leaning.

The Braves look nice. There wasn't as much change as I was anticipating based on the teaser, but that's not really a bad thing. I do like the Heritage Alt though, and this makes me look forward to Part II that much more.

The Braves are a tough team to tackle because the America's Team uniforms were perfect. The one change I can get on board with is putting the striping back on the socks. I really liked it when I saw it on a Boston Braves throwback in 2008 (remember that retro telecast WGN did?) and I really wish the Braves had done that in the first place. And yet even then, I've said before that the Braves shouldn't have changed a stitch from the uniforms they did all their winning in, so I can't fully commit to what I know in my heart is an improvement. But I like the tomahawk much better in red (after all, we're dealing with a uniform that got more exposure than almost any other) and don't think you need red trim on the vertical-arch NOBs, at least not on the white and grey. It's a little distracting on what may as well be a signature design element for the Braves now. I do like the "Brave Crackers" alternate a lot and love the look of that drop-shadowed A. It's a better alternate monogram than the lowercase 'a' from the '70s, which always felt insignificant to me.

I wait with bated breath for the ATLified parallel universe set.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks for the C+C guys! I'm surprised the heritage alternate went over as well as it did. Luckily, for those who liked it, there's more of it coming up.

ATLANTA FIREBIRDS, PT. II - Resugens in Red and Black

This concept combines several board discussions into a cohesive identity.  A couple of board members have stated an inclination to see the Braves in red and black, to eliminate another navy/red team and to align the Braves with the Falcons and Hawks in a "civic" color scheme. I thought it was worth an experiment, even if I didn't agree with the sentiment. I simply swapped the navy out for black while keeping red and yellow-gold (which both the Falcons and Hawks should use as accent colors). 

Since the alternate takes will almost always feature name changes for relocated teams, I wanted to give the Braves a name that fit with Atlanta. I decided upon Firebirds for several reasons.  There was synergy with the other Atlanta team names (which is a must for a "civic" color scheme). It also fit with the whole "rising from the ashes" narrative that Atlanta's city boosters/investors pushed following the city's destruction in Sherman's March to the Sea (to the point of having a Phoenix on the city seal). On this subject, Reiko Hillyer wrote, "Northern visitors also parroted the image of Atlanta as phoenix, remarking, 'Like Chicago, Atlanta rose from its ashes at the close of war, and entered into an uninterrupted era of peaceful prosperity.'"1 Since Phoenixes was a little over-the-top for my tastes, I went for Firebirds. Sure, big daddy GM might have issues with it, but I don't care.

My first version of the concept was little more than a palette swap. In response to the praise the heritage alternates got for my main take, I redid my concept to fit around them. Drop shadows now accompany all of the elements, alongside the "A" monogram and the Braves-style scripts (which have a sharp look to them, perfect for the new name). The Black Crackers' "A" now has a drop shadow in all instances, akin to the logo of the Atlanta Crackers. It's a good way to incorporate Atlanta's pre-1966 baseball history.

The Firebird (based on heraldic depictions of the creatures) has flame detailing on his tail feathers. It's much less garish than the full flames and easier to render in small applications. The flame tongue comes from the Snot Horse of the Calgary Flames. I put the "A" at the top of the diamond, to get some "Atlanta" on the logo.

FY6JsRr.png

The uniforms feature the drop shadow motif on the scripts and numbers. I went with one-color NOB's, for legibility reasons. The Northwestern-style stripe remains on the socks, given the Falcons' history with said striping pattern. I thought about adding placket stripes, but they made the whole set look too cluttered.

uI5HH6A.png

The alternates are palette-swapped versions of the old heritage alternate. The road version has a dedicated cap.

vmycX2l.png

The old heritage alternate now uses the road alternate's cap and the primary logo as a sleeve patch. The other fauxback is a black/red version of the "715" uniforms, complete with the flame replacing the feather (a very "Winga Dinga" touch) and white cleats (a bit of 1970's flair). 

ZuNokIb.png

It's a fun way to make the Braves fit within the "civic" color/naming scheme of Atlanta, as well as the history of the city. It's almost as Atlanta as Lemon Pepper Wings and Coca-Cola! C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, the Cincinnati Reds (emphasis on the red part).

1Reiko Hillyer, Designing Dixie: Tourism, Memory, and Urban Space in the New South, American South Series (Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2015), 142.

Another killer alternate take. That primary logo is an absolute beauty! If the Braves ever decide to rebrand, I know what name I want them to choose. 

I actually really liked the black & red Braves concept you posted a while back, so I'm glad you were able to repurpose that scheme for Atlanta somehow. 

Very interesting, very well executed. I really like how red and black look here and think it's weird that we haven't had a red/black baseball team in earnest (not the Reds adding BFBS, nor the DBags doing brick/sand/black). Like royal and gold, it's always a very striking color scheme.

Weird synchronicity moment: as I was posting this, "Manteca" came on the radio with the "I'll never go back to Georgia" intro.

I like every jersey for the Firebirds sans the Heritage Alt..... now, the flames on the arms & jersey itself don't bug me.... it's the fact the little "a" is being used. Considering you brought the little a for the Angels, it is odd to see two teams wearing a very similar logo on cap. Just my $ 0.02. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

The Firebirds look really nice! I love the history behind choosing the team name. The only suggestion I could really make is to put the teritary logo in place of the front numbers, similar to the Blue Jays.

25 minutes ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

I kind of prefer the Firebirds to the Braves (in a vacuum, not for the real team, obviously). Is that a bad thing?

Also, I think we all know what needs to happen for the Miami alternate...

Uyv2kWB.png

I've already suggested it to him and he said he isn't going to do it.

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

On 8/9/2017 at 8:31 AM, coco1997 said:

Another killer alternate take. That primary logo is an absolute beauty! If the Braves ever decide to rebrand, I know what name I want them to choose. 

I actually really liked the black & red Braves concept you posted a while back, so I'm glad you were able to repurpose that scheme for Atlanta somehow. 

Thank you! I got some of my inspiration from your Braves rebrand thread and an interesting Uni-Watch post, namely the "Braves should change their name to the Atlanta Bravest" one. I'd like to think my set is a more palatable alternative to bringing fecking singular names into baseball (you'd think Paul would be against that, but apparently not). 

That concept was one of my favorite early ones. There's some cringeworthy stuff in that thread, but the black/red Braves were a bright spot.

On 8/9/2017 at 8:38 AM, the admiral said:

Very interesting, very well executed. I really like how red and black look here and think it's weird that we haven't had a red/black baseball team in earnest (not the Reds adding BFBS, nor the DBags doing brick/sand/black). Like royal and gold, it's always a very striking color scheme.

Weird synchronicity moment: as I was posting this, "Manteca" came on the radio with the "I'll never go back to Georgia" intro.

Thanks. I like black/red too, and I find it funny that it's so overused in the NHL and underused in baseball.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:05 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

I like every jersey for the Firebirds sans the Heritage Alt..... now, the flames on the arms & jersey itself don't bug me.... it's the fact the little "a" is being used. Considering you brought the little a for the Angels, it is odd to see two teams wearing a very similar logo on cap. Just my $ 0.02. 

Thanks. I don't mind an alternate take and a primary concept for a different team overlapping. Besides, that "a" had a halo on it and a solid crown.

Now, onto the Reds!

CINCINNATI REDS, PT. I - A proper restomod.

I don't like the Reds' with black in their color scheme, nor do I like their Brandiose font (which is unbecoming of one of the oldest teams in the league). When I first de-blacked the Reds, I made the mistake of including the Brandiose road wordmark and some inappropriate striping. When redoing the concept for this series, I decided to bring the set more in line with the beloved 1968-71 uniforms (which was a buttonfront/belted pants version of the "Big Red Machine" look) and reinforce the red/white color scheme. However, I opted to keep a few "modern" adjustments.

The thicker logo font remains, while the backing shield becomes symmetrical again. Here's a comparison. Mr. Red is now all-red (as he's too good not to use), with some stirrups.

zImUZLz.png

The uniforms are where the "restomod" (restore and modernize) approach becomes evident. They combine elements of the 1968-71 uniforms, with a few influences from the current set. The placket piping is off of the home uniform, as it cluttered the front up (I removed the sock stripes for similar reasons). The white jersey and pants gain red/white/red trim to match the road uniform. The Detroit Tigers-style belt loops return, to add more color to the set. The all-red Mr. Red remains on the sleeve, as I like having him around. The cleats are black, for an extra bit of vintage charm. While it is not apparent from the 2D template, the home uniform's crest would be chain-stitched.

The modernizations also include some font tweaks. I opted to use Block Standard Bold on the home uniforms' numbers and NOB's (like the 1968-84 uniforms). The road uniform features white-outlined Block Standard, with slightly bold NOB letters. These tweaks eliminate the overly-large NOB's and correct the outlining inconsistency of the gray set. I overhauled the "Cincinnati" block script to look less janky and have a better arching pattern. Here is a comparison with other iterations of the wordmark.

6NF5fWG.png

The throwbacks here are more or less fauxbacks, given the aesthetic liberties I've taken. The vest is an amalgam of the 1961-66 home uniforms, the 1939-55 jersey logo, and the 1934-36/61-66 cap logos. I figured it'd be a good idea to have a tiny homage to the Reds' history in pinstripes and with navy as a primary/accent color (black was only an armband color, a memorial first and an odd stylistic choice second). The font is my attempt to merge my modified UNC block font with the MacGregor varsity numerals (rendered by Matt Malinoski) of the 1950's-60's Reds, for that extra vintage charm (without the ugly MacGregor "2").

The second alternate is a fun one. It's got a two-stripe pillbox cap, a full collar, and the Old English C like the 1890-1899 Reds (and the 1869 Red Stockings, the first professional baseball team). It's a chance for the team to dress like Mr. Red, while also honoring Cincinnati's contributions to the sport's history. It uses a one-color version of the custom font.

Qljc7eF.png

The Reds had a near-perfect look from 1968-71. All it takes is a little refinement and a few modern touches to nail it. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

For my alternate take, what if the Reds never used a wishbone C?

I like the home a bunch, especially the all-red Mr. Red, which works better than I expected it to. It looks very vintage. The greys, well, I've felt for a while that the Reds should be a red version of the Dodgers with single-layer red on grey. And as well as you did clean it up, I never liked the Cincinnati scripts the Reds used; could I perhaps sell you on a varsity-serif version to better match the lettering inside the wishbone C?

JyzPEVE.jpg

Big fan of the uber-throwback. I've said that white caps don't belong in the bigs, but on a throwback like this, it's all good. 

The Reds look really nice. The only thing I could really say is that you could probably afford to have the UNC-style number font on the regular home & away too, as it looks really good and to me matches the "REDS" wordmark a bit better.

Archived