MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

Yes, yes, YES! ALL OF THE YES!

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on this forum. You've absolutely nailed that mid-'90s aesthetic, and I love that you went with pink pinstripes! Also really happy you re-purposed the palm tree from your last Marlins concept; makes up for the fact that you left it out of your Miami update. Literally the only thing I'd change would be pink socks for the pink alternates, because the pink caps with black socks look mismatched. 

Amazing work as always. Can't wait to see the Expos!

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just... wow. I love everything about it.

The black alternate stands out as one of my favorite aspects. The pink pinstripes work surprisingly wonderfully, and the color scheme with the gold & teal accents is absolutely phenomenal. Although all of the reasons you decided on that color scheme make perfect sense (and I wouldn't change them), I'd still like to see a version kind of like the Snakes that replaces the black with dark teal, just to see what it looks like.

The only things I could say are that I agree with @coco1997 about the pink socks, and that I think you should add a black keyline around the iterations of the flamingo. It just looks sort of "empty" without it. Fantastic job!

On 8/15/2017 at 2:21 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! While I think it looks good with black in the place of Midnight Green, I really want to stick with that dark teal. It may be drab, but the bright colors can still bounce off of it, and it's more vibrant than the black. Also, I tried black with the other colors, and it kind of hurt my eyes to look at it. Midnight Green makes it a bit less jarring to look at, if that makes sense. I'll show off that test in one of my updates, along with the popular light blue/dark orange/black color scheme.

Thanks! I didn't even notice how much the lights fit with the new marlin. I guess that's a nice little bonus.

Now, let's entertain a premise almost as bad as "Let's record solo albums for each member of the band!"

FLORIDA FLAMINGOS, PT. II - We're dodging a bullet from Wayne's world.

0.jpg

Let me introduce you to Mr. Waste Management and former owner of the Marlins and Panthers, Wayne Huizenga. When granted an expansion team from Major League Baseball in the early 1990's, this Broward County blowhard (and his White Flight-y friends - thanks for that delightful quote, @the admiral) wanted to name his team the "South Florida Flamingos." He also wanted a pink/black color scheme. While Major League Baseball shot down the "South Florida" name with little trouble, it took the persuasion skills of Anne Occi (head of MLB Properties) to convince Wayne to drop the "Flamingos" name and pink for the "Marlins" nickname and teal (history of the name + popularity of teal in the early 1990's won out). However, what if Occi was not able to persuade Wayne to drop his idea?

This timeline assumes that the same creative that designed the 1993-2002 Marlins identity (before it's full White Sox + minimal teal overhaul) came up with a look for the Flamingos. The logos and fonts (a slightly modified Matrix II Bold) evoke a similar aesthetic style to the old Marlins, albeit depicting a Phoenicopterus ruber stretching his/her neck over the "F" (based on this stock photo). I wanted to add more detail to the logo, but flamingos don't lend themselves to shading in the same way that marlins do. The primary is a roundel (like the contemporary 1993 Mariners design), and the tertiary is a baseball diamond with the flamingo above it and a palm tree in it (taking a cue from the Florida Panthers).

The colors also demonstrate this "compromise" thesis. Wayne's pink is co-dominant with black, while metallic gold works as a highlight color (like silver did for the old Marlins). The Marlins' old teal shade is the baseball seam/palm tree color, as both a way to get Occi's teal into the set and to mimic orange's place in the '93-'11 color scheme. It would also enable the squad to sell teal merch, alongside black stuff.

aUU7wHv.png

The primaries are a pastiche of the '93-'02 Marlins and their contemporaries (i.e. White Sox and Rockies). Scripts on an arc are the main draw, with contrasting front numbers and NOB's (on nameplates, for period-correctness). I added a pink-billed cap on the road uniform, akin to the Rockies' purple-billed hat (even Wayne wouldn't pair a contrast-billed hat with a pinstriped set). While Occi may have had a coronary over seeing pink pinstripes, at least she'd be happy with the amount of black offsetting it.

dZ2NlN8.png

The first group of alternates is pretty similar to the "prime" universe Marlins. They include a vest with the tertiary logo on the undershirt sleeve and a black jersey that complements the road cap. The top also gives me an opportunity to use more gold in the identity. While I thought about a pink alternate, I decided that one of the concessions that Wayne made to Occi would have been to refrain from pink tops. It was the early-1990's, and pink and pastels were on their way out of the fashion circuit. MLB Properties didn't want to have abundant deadstock that would wind up on eBay in 10-15 years.

E4aljyq.png

The last set of alternates is the alternate timeline's equivalent of the teal-centric Marlins of 1993-96. Pink caps and undershirts for the home jerseys would be Wayne's little indulgence. They would probably survive as alternates until he sold the team (which is when the new owners probably changed up the color scheme to account for mid-2000's trends, or changed the name to Miami Marlins - this depends on whether or not they went on their 1997 World Series run).

4sqRdp4.png

I had a lot of fun making this one. I'd never want to see this in reality, but I liked the exercise in imitating early-1990's baseball aesthetics and executing Wayne Huizenga's terrible idea (for 1993, anyway - I think the time is right for a team in the Big Four to embrace pink). C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

Up next, Les Expos!

P.S. How can I let a flamingos concept go by without linking to a mini-documentary about one of my favorite movies?

MOAR PINK!!!1! kthxbai

The Miami sets are fantastic and appropriate for the region, with the shades of pink and teal blending in very well with the region's "cosmopolitan Riviera" vibe and the Flamingos redo fitting the 90s stylings to a T. If Wayne Huizenga and Jeffrey Loria really played their cards right instead of doing what they did to screw it up for their fans (fire sales, botched stadium plans, etc.), the Marlins (or is it Flamingos?) really would be a shining star in the big leagues. But in a business where smart marketing decisions often get overlooked, certainly not surprised that the Marlins' potential has been stretched too thin.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:55 AM, the admiral said:

Fantastic. All the logos are great, especially the tertiary, which could work just as well as the primary as a sleeve logo. I was surprised gold was the #3 color instead of teal, but I can buy that as a concession so as not to be too loud. I love the flamingo-F monogram; did you consider incorporating it into the road script? But again, as with the other Marlins concept, pink really works here. Even though it's framed as a "bad idea," it would have been a so-bad-it's-good idea if we had wound up with this instead of the comparatively staid Florida Marlins, and it would have been more memorable/infamous than the forgettable Times New Roman White Sox out in Denver. But imagine the ignominy of the Cubs blowing the pennant to the Florida Flamingos (even if by 2003, they too would have become a black/silver/more-black team with occasional touches of hot pink). That might have inspired them to win it all in 2004 and put years back on my life.

I'm eager to see how the Phillies turn out, fingers crossed for the always controversial Philadelphia road script.

Thanks! I originally wanted to put the flamingo-F on the road script, but it seemed like a little much (images in the spoiler tag).

Spoiler

pvCTqxf.png gPWMw5g.png

You think the Cubs blowing it to the Flamingos would be ignominious? Imagine the Giants losing the World Series to the Angels (freshly out of their Disney phase), and then losing to the Flamingos in the NLDS the next year. I'd have grown up a whimsy-hating ass. 

I'm thinking about implementing a "Philadelphia" script somewhere in the Phillies set, but I'm more often than not against the Phillies wearing their city name on the road. The team name implies the city name and "Philadelphia" is too many letters for a straight cursive script. 

On 8/15/2017 at 11:00 AM, coco1997 said:

Yes, yes, YES! ALL OF THE YES!

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on this forum. You've absolutely nailed that mid-'90s aesthetic, and I love that you went with pink pinstripes! Also really happy you re-purposed the palm tree from your last Marlins concept; makes up for the fact that you left it out of your Miami update. Literally the only thing I'd change would be pink socks for the pink alternates, because the pink caps with black socks look mismatched. 

Amazing work as always. Can't wait to see the Expos!

Thanks! I wanted to bring in the palm tree, if only because it fits with the whole '90's/resort aesthetic. I decided not to go with pink socks because the Marlins used black socks during their teal-centric phase. It was a decision to keep with period conventions. Still, I've got a pink socks version ready to go.

Spoiler

tqD319W.png

On 8/15/2017 at 3:37 PM, MJD7 said:

Wow, just... wow. I love everything about it.

The black alternate stands out as one of my favorite aspects. The pink pinstripes work surprisingly wonderfully, and the color scheme with the gold & teal accents is absolutely phenomenal. Although all of the reasons you decided on that color scheme make perfect sense (and I wouldn't change them), I'd still like to see a version kind of like the Snakes that replaces the black with dark teal, just to see what it looks like.

The only things I could say are that I agree with @coco1997 about the pink socks, and that I think you should add a black keyline around the iterations of the flamingo. It just looks sort of "empty" without it. Fantastic job!

Thank you. I'm surprised at how well the pink pinstripes worked. I thought it'd be a disaster, but it looks surprisingly good with the right treatment (i.e., white outline on the wordmark and numbers). I'll do a quickie palette swap of the Snakes in my next round of revisions.

The black keyline sounds like a good idea, and I'll incorporate it in the next update. I was hesitant at first because of the black beak on the bird, but a black keyline could make it "pop" more (and it'd be period-correct - look at the original Carolina Panthers' first logo).

Now, the main feature!

MONTRÉAL EXPOS, PT. I - Le retour de Nos Amours, avec modernisationes.

Expos nostalgia is in right now, and what better way to join in on the fun than by sketching up my take on the club! Just a forewarning, this concept will be a bit controversial. 

While I would not change the name of the team (as it's Bill 101-friendly), I did want to design a new primary/cap logo. I have never been a fan of the Expos' "classic" logo. The "Meb"/"eMb"/"blob M" is a terrible logo that tries to do too much. I'll let @Gothamite sum up my sentiments (I even posted in that thread):

On 4/5/2014 at 6:57 PM, Gothamite said:

It's a terrible logo. A formless shape that supposed to maybe look like an "M" but doesn't, and contains some other shapes that are definitely supposed to be letters and some other shapes that people think are letters but aren't.

I hold that the "eMb" should have departed in 1992 when the team redesigned (to fit in with the whole "grown-up" subtext of that look). While a reborn Expos team would almost certainly bring back the "eMb" (much to @the admiral's delight, and he does make good arguments for the "eMb"), I opted to go a different path. @Ice_Cap outlined a perfect strategy for my new take:

On 4/6/2014 at 9:45 AM, Ice_Cap said:

Both the Expos' logo and the Brewers' ball-in-glove are incredibly dated, in my opinion.

As far as the Expos go? Their road script would be a good place to start for a new cap logo. A script "M" with a fleur-de-lis worked in? I could dig it.

So, I got to work on that approach. My early work was less than successful, but then I saw @TheGiantsFan's hand-drawn concept that combined a style of lettering inspired by "old Montréal" architecture with the '92-'04 scripts (my favorite look for the team). I took that direction, with an "M" that combines the sharp Gothic edges with the curves of the old road wordmark (rendered to look less like the Mets' "M"). I placed the fleur-de-lis (from my Browns concept) at the center of the insignia, blending it into the letter. It's a logo that has a bit of that loopy/curvy character of the "eMB," while representing a legible "M" and the iconography of French Canada. Also, thank you @Ice_Cap and @MJD7 for the consult. You guys were a big help.

I placed the crest in a roundel for the primary logo, with the asymmetrical stripe from the uniforms and a new font (Batesina Athletica) that homages the "old Montréal" aesthetic. The tertiary is a riff on the crest and flag of Montréal. It also includes the city logo.

The colors are the same shades the old Expos used, but I made sure that the color balance was royal-white-red. A team that props itself up on Quebec imagery should not have red be the primary color of scripts/numbers. While it may bring them a little too close to the Cubs, my Cubs concept will have a redder identity (red outlined in white on blue backgrounds).

R3CiBTG.png

The uniforms are a modernized take on the '92-'04 set. The striping goes blue/white/red on the sleeves, pants, and socks. I evened the width of each stripe, to better homage to the Tricolour. The fleur-de-lis is at the center of the stripe, as a slightly modern touch. I redid the scripts to add a bit more "flair" to them and clean up the "jammed" home wordmark (comparison here). I kept the fleur-de-lis as the accent mark, which I liked on the originals. The primary logo is on the sleeves, and the number font is Varsity Classic A (my go-to block with serifs font). The road uniforms now have a powder blue-tinted road grey, as a tiny homage to the team's powder blue road uniforms.

pfYqdvr.png

The alternates are royal blue recolors of the primaries. I added the tertiary to the sleeve of the home alt, as a little "civic homage."

gnRv1Gp.png

The second set of alternates were my excuse to modernize the pinwheel hat. I paired it with the home uniform, as well as an event set. This jersey homages the original Expos uniforms and features the tertiary logo alongside the Canadian Flag and the Drapeau du Québec on the sleeves. This arrangement fits with the Canadian flag regulations. It would show up on both Canada Day and Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day (the patron saint of French Canadians). That way, no French Canadians get alienated.

pnhDAqI.png

While I may get roasted over the coals for dumping the "eMb," I'd like to think I've made a classy alternative to that crummy logo. It's a look that balances the team's history with modern baseball aesthetics and civic iconography. They'd still have all of the character of the old Expos (whoop-whoop home run siren, bilingual announcements, songs, etc.), but paired with a more legible insignia. C+C is greatly appreciated, as always!

For the alternate take, what if the team didn't pick the name "Expos" in 1968?

P.S. The numbers are for Andre DawsonTim Raines, Tim Wallach, and Expo '67 (the namesake of the team).

This is excellent. It's a smart, classy update of the Expos old look, and while I do have a soft spot for their classic logo, I recognize it's a little dated. This new logo you've designed is much more timeless. 

Can't wait for the alternate take, as it has the potential to be just about anything!

I'm a huge fan of the tertiary. I love the idea of coat-of-arms-ish logos for Quebec teams, and I've been playing around with Nordiques coats of arms that honor the sport, city, and province for years. You'd think I would have gotten one right by now. But logos like that feel formal, Catholic, and not-quite-American -- in other words, perfect for Quebec. So that's a huge hit for me. I appreciate the nod to Montreal architecture in the typeface, as Montreal is up there with Miami as a city with architecture to really celebrate. Of course, when I think of Montreal vernacular, I think of apartments with rickety wrought-iron spiral stairs, but incorporating that into a logo or typeface is probably a bit dicey.

Like you acknowledged, I'm an unflagging eMb partisan, so I cannot endorse this cap logo. The fleur-de-lis within the M seems too hard to render effectively at small sizes, such as the embroidery on a cap. There's also something unnatural about the curvy sides against the pointy middle: there's not much reason for an M ever to look the way the eMb did, but I'm having a hard time imagining how/why an M would ever wind up written out like this either, and this doesn't have the brand equity of Weird French-Canadian Team to fall back on. I like the uniforms and appreciate that they're pinstripeless to set them off from the Cubs, but now I wonder how you'll handle the Cubs' roads, since blue outlined in red on grey all around seems to be a board consensus on how they should handle their roads in the HDTV era, as opposed to blue names and red numbers. Well, time will tell.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is my favorite modernization of the Expos I've seen. Everything flows together very nicely, and I don't find myself at all missing the "eMb" logo. Every uniform combo would be an amazing look. While I really like the "M" logo (I agree that it has a more timeless feel) one thing that bothers me are the two little bumps made by the fleur-de-lis on the lower middle. I think if that were made just a little bit smaller, the "M" behind it could flow a little better.

This is one of my favorites in the series to date, looking forward to Part II!

Thanks for the C+C guys, I appreciate it!

On 8/18/2017 at 0:21 AM, the admiral said:

I'm a huge fan of the tertiary. I love the idea of coat-of-arms-ish logos for Quebec teams, and I've been playing around with Nordiques coats of arms that honor the sport, city, and province for years. You'd think I would have gotten one right by now. But logos like that feel formal, Catholic, and not-quite-American -- in other words, perfect for Quebec. So that's a huge hit for me. I appreciate the nod to Montreal architecture in the typeface, as Montreal is up there with Miami as a city with architecture to really celebrate. Of course, when I think of Montreal vernacular, I think of apartments with rickety wrought-iron spiral stairs, but incorporating that into a logo or typeface is probably a bit dicey.

Like you acknowledged, I'm an unflagging eMb partisan, so I cannot endorse this cap logo. The fleur-de-lis within the M seems too hard to render effectively at small sizes, such as the embroidery on a cap. There's also something unnatural about the curvy sides against the pointy middle: there's not much reason for an M ever to look the way the eMb did, but I'm having a hard time imagining how/why an M would ever wind up written out like this either, and this doesn't have the brand equity of Weird French-Canadian Team to fall back on. I like the uniforms and appreciate that they're pinstripeless to set them off from the Cubs, but now I wonder how you'll handle the Cubs' roads, since blue outlined in red on grey all around seems to be a board consensus on how they should handle their roads in the HDTV era, as opposed to blue names and red numbers. Well, time will tell.

Thank you! I thought you'd like the shield, as I am one of the few people here who remembers that Nordiques concept you made here a few years ago. I had a feeling I wouldn't be winning you over on the new cap logo. Still, I've taken you comments (small fleur-de-lis and odd curves) to revise my logo to both better match the curved serifs of the typeface and to look a bit more natural. I've also promoted the shield to primary logo/uniform patch status, as I do think it's a nice way to set the French Canadian Team apart.

If you're worried about the road jersey of the Cubs, don't be. I'll be sticking to the 1958-68 style, albeit with a few modernizations (i.e. new patches, a rounded block NOB, etc.). Since I'll use a normal gray shade and no white in the stripes, it'll be different enough from these Expos.

22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

This is my favorite modernization of the Expos I've seen. Everything flows together very nicely, and I don't find myself at all missing the "eMb" logo. Every uniform combo would be an amazing look. While I really like the "M" logo (I agree that it has a more timeless feel) one thing that bothers me are the two little bumps made by the fleur-de-lis on the lower middle. I think if that were made just a little bit smaller, the "M" behind it could flow a little better.

This is one of my favorites in the series to date, looking forward to Part II!

Thanks! I caught that little blooper, and I've fixed it in the update.

Here is the update, with the new "M" logo, fleur-de-lis, and the promoted tertiary logo! I also removed the fleur-de-lis from the "M" on the shield, for clarity's sake and to remove redundancy.

BlS5wxN.png

utWKqcZ.png

7QTS3eX.png

cwWu99t.png

It still has the script "M's" character, while also looking more natural and fitting in with the Montréal typography.

I'm going to get the alternate take up later today. Here's a little hint: both the Expos and the Minnesota Wild rejected this name. 

14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm going to get the alternate take up later today. Here's a little hint: both the Expos and the Minnesota Wild rejected this name. 

I think I've figured it out and I'm excited to see it! Curious to see if you keep the Expos color scheme. 

Here's the alternate take!

MONTRÉAL VOYAGEURS, PT. II - Red Toque Time

(Here's a little video of a living history performing describing the life of a voyageur. That channel, Townsends, is one of my favorites on YouTube. Watch their stuff!)

While I was reading Jonah Keri's excellent book, Up, Up, & Away, I came across a passage that described the naming of the team.

One major step remained before the team could take the field, however: it needed a name. "Royals" emerged as an early favourite and a worthy nod to the city's baseball history, but coincidentally, Kansas City's expansion team had already adopted the name for the following season. Other proposed names included suggestions in both English and French. "Voyageurs" had a certain ring to it. On of the leading English-language candidates would presage a pivotal event in franchise history decades later: "Nationals."1

While I wanted to do the Royals, the specter of Bill 101 would prevent that from coming up. Montréal Royaux, while unique, wasn't to my liking. I prefer names that end with "s." So, I opted to bring out Les Voyageurs! This team, named after the French Canadian fur traders who canoed their goods through both New France and Illinois, would inspire pride from French Canadians and be Bill 101-friendly. 

I kept the red/blue color scheme of the Expos (I can't imagine a Montréal team without that color scheme). The two colors are co-dominant, because of the iconic red toque hats of the voyageurs. I tried green and red for the team (akin to the Parti canadien flag), but it gave off too much of a Santa vibe. French Canadian aesthetics of the late-1960's/early-1970's were weird, but not that odd.

The logo is my attempt to capture that "weird French Canadian-ness." I modded my shield logo to feature a canoe with oars at the top (like the Montréal crest) and to feature the new cap insignia. This design features simple lines that depicted a bearded Voyageur with his red toque. I drew inspiration from both the Nordiques' igloo crest and the Montréal Alouettes' logo from the period. In his beard, I've hidden an "M" and "V" (depending on how you look at it). The tertiary is a roundel, with the canoe on a river and the voyageur above it.

0xaDCC1.png

The uniforms are similar to my Expos set, albeit with a different color balance. The hats are now red-crowned, for the red toques of the voyageurs. They still have royal bills, so that I can have royal wordmarks/undershirts/belts. The socks, front numbers, and NOB's are red-dominant, for contrast. The scripts feature Tuscan/Tiffany-style letters, as an homage to the Montréal Royals. I wanted to put a little tribute in the main set somewhere. The Voyageur is the cap logo.

rP9vqx9.png

The alternates are red and blue softball tops, with color balance flips for each application. I put the roundel on the red top, as a little means of differentiation.

X5xRMeA.png

The second set of uniforms are special events sets. The Jackie Robinson Day outfit homages the 1946 Montréal Royals' home uniform. The Canada Day/SJB Day jersey is an adaptation of my Expos design.

xjdIZCk.png

This concept was a fun little experiment in trying to tap into French Canada's history and the aesthetics of late 1960's/early 1970's Quebecois aesthetics. C+C is greatly appreciated.

Up next, we Meet the Mets!

1 Jonah Keri, Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, Le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-Fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos (Toronto: Vintage Canada, 2015), 14-15.

Magnifique! The name is great and the secondary logo is very cleverly done. 

One small nitpick is that the canoe paddles on the tertiary look like spoons. Try adding little nubs to the ends of the paddles. Heck, it might even make them look like canoe paddle/baseball bat hybrids, which could be fun.  

Brilliant, love everything about it: the coat of arms, the Tuscan-cursive hybrid, the NFB-esque geometric voyageur logo, the fleur-de-lis inside the cuff piping. I've maintained that Major League Baseball wanted to kill Montreal forever and succeeded, but if they ever got a team back, I'd take the Voyageurs. (Also would have liked that for a Milwaukee NHL team in lieu of the Perds.)

capture_kids_in_the_hall_voyageurs.jpg

"We've ad a good day, Francois. but we must take care not to deplete de stock."

"True. We don't want to make de same mistake we made wid de beavair."

"OH, DE BEAVAIR! WHAT WERE WE TINKING? WHERE WERE OUR EDS?"

This isn't quite my favorite of the alternate takes so far, but all of your reasonings behind your design make sense. I guess I just prefer the blue-dominant look of the Expos, but this is still a cool & unique  idea that understandably adds a bit more red to the look.

Looking forward to the Mets!

23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Magnifique! The name is great and the secondary logo is very cleverly done. 

One small nitpick is that the canoe paddles on the tertiary look like spoons. Try adding little nubs to the ends of the paddles. Heck, it might even make them look like canoe paddle/baseball bat hybrids, which could be fun.  

Merci! I'm going to add knobs to the paddles in the update. That'll be better.

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

Brilliant, love everything about it: the coat of arms, the Tuscan-cursive hybrid, the NFB-esque geometric voyageur logo, the fleur-de-lis inside the cuff piping. I've maintained that Major League Baseball wanted to kill Montreal forever and succeeded, but if they ever got a team back, I'd take the Voyageurs. (Also would have liked that for a Milwaukee NHL team in lieu of the Perds.)

Thanks. I had a lot of fun with this one. That odd French Canadian aesthetic is fun to tap into, and it's something many people miss when trying to do concepts for Quebec teams. Milwaukee Voyageurs is a good name for a hockey team, and is certainly more appropriate for the region than "Admirals." It would also be better than "Golden Eagles," but that's a can of worms I don't want to open. 

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

capture_kids_in_the_hall_voyageurs.jpg

"We've ad a good day, Francois. but we must take care not to deplete de stock."

"True. We don't want to make de same mistake we made wid de beavair."

"OH, DE BEAVAIR! WHAT WERE WE TINKING? WHERE WERE OUR EDS?"

"Francois, let that one go, he has spirit. Someday he might be vice president."

I enjoy my fair share of Kids in the Hall. Heck, I can't hear a Doors song on the radio without imagining Bruce McCulloch’s angry record store owner. 

Well, it's time to Meet the Mets!

NEW YORK METS, PT. I - A Giant batch of tiny fixes.

The Mets have a fantastic set of logos and uniforms, but many an error has crept into their identity. These problems aren't so much the result of incompetence (cringe and be happy no news reporter pointed a camera at ICS following the Sharks' 2014 playoff exit), as it is a symptom of working with multiple manufacturers and early 1990's versions of Adobe Illustrator. Things like the "M" in the script getting a weird center part, the bulbous outlines on the wordmark, and the disappearance of the Williamsburgh Savings Bank Building from the skyline. There are also little alterations that have degraded the set, like the 1993-present cap logo (which looks terrible with an outline) and the removal of the "NY" from the primary mark. I set out to fix these errors.

The primary logo gets its "NY" back, while the Williamsburgh Savings Bank Building returns. I also corrected the outlines on the wordmark. Here is a comparison. With the cap logo/secondary, I've used the 1962-92 cap logo to bring more of a baseball Giants-esque flair to the identity. It's thinner, wider, and now interlocks when outlined (like the insignia on the Polo Grounds' chairs). I didn't want to go all the way with the asymmetry of the pre-1947 Giants cap logo, but I wanted it to have its basic proportions/outline support. I've got a comparison of the insignias with and without an outline. Mr. Met is the tertiary.

T1XtdlF.png

The uniforms receive a similar set of minor fixes and baseball Giants influence. The home uniform features @Gothamite's fixed "Mets" script (thanks, Gothamite), while the road uniform uses a new Tuscan wordmark. This mark features the same updated Tuscan font from my Red Sox concept, which is a bit more graceful/less "woodcut" than Wilson's Tuscan letters. It also brings the set closer to the uniforms of the 1930's Giants. I've got a comparison here. 

HyTAzo5.png

The blue jerseys no longer have a dumb alternate hat. They also feature Mr. Met (a nice touch) and "Snow White" pants at home (a way to tribute that set and avoid the ugly pinstripe+softball top look). The Vintage Day outfit is a faux back to the 1916 Giants' window pane uniforms. It features an eight-panel cap, the 1933 Giants' sock stripes, and Wilson Varsity font. It's a way to homage one of my favorite pre-1930's baseball uniforms and incorporate more of the Giants into the Mets' identity. 

IdUazLc.png

Through these tiny tweaks, the Mets can clean up the accumulated errors in their set and look a little more like the baseball Giants (which is important, given the "balance" between the Giants and Dodgers in the Mets' identity - a sports Punnett square). C+C is appreciated, as always!

For the alternate take, I put a pre-1930 spin on the black and pink!

P.S. The models use number 69 is for the 1969 World Series and number 20 for Monte Irvin.

I didn't know that about the missing bank, so good job reinstating that and cleaning up the other little errors.

I don't like the little orange NY returning to the primary. It looks like a little afterthought scrawled on the logo after it was finished lest anyone not figure out that it's the New York Mets. The road script is a lateral move from the one the Mets have used all these years and I can't say I'm a fan; the One True Mets Road Script is the 1987 cursive one that matched the home script. The plaid flannel alternate is cool as an annual gimmick but for reasons I can't explain I've never been enthusiastic about blue thirds with orange features for the Mets. Maybe it's too close to the Cubs' blue and red, maybe it's too modern for a New York baseball team, I don't know. It's never added much to me. 

As for NOBs, I can't quite tell: are you using the condensed block the Mets have always (or at least since '86) used? The Cardinals use it too, which I was surprised to learn, because I never thought their names looked like the Mets. Maybe it's a spacing/radius issue between the two.

Archived