MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

No Brown/Orange Padres in the Part 2 Style? :( 

Also, all of these Palette swaps look incredible... I particularly love the Green/Gold Brewers. 

Thanks! I got you covered there!

SD_HomeandRoadB2BN.thumb.png.042fdd8064a40306cf9b57d20a9f9f51.png

I'm surprised with how much like it, and how much it's making me want a peanut butter cup.

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

- I definitely prefer the thicker stripe options for the Cubs.

- The BiG-centric Brewers set looks great!

- It's cool seeing the '90s Brewers in green and gold, but you're right, the navy works better. 

Thanks! I like the thicker stripes as well. The heft ties in well with the cap logo and the sock stripes. 

7 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

My goodness. 

The Cubs set is pretty much my dream. As for the Padres... I kinda want to leave my wife for it. And I’m happily married. 

Thanks!

Anywho, here's some Astros-related fun!

Leading off, a @Paul Lucas request, the 1994-99 star on the star-blast uniform:

BTmlZcJ.png

Next in the lineup:

HOUSTON ASTROS, 1994-99 - Re-kerned and on a new gradient.

Per @the admiral's recommendation, I adjusted the gradient to lessen the red. It's much cleaner now and reads more like my beloved 1997-2010 Warriors. I also fixed the kerning on the numbers.

i4Lu0kD.png

TL8kou4.png

pccOFMi.png

Batting third:

HOUSTON RAILMEN - A less nasty name, with a few other tweaks.

After I learned what a "railer" was (fellatio with too much teeth action), I decided to change the name to "Railmen." While there is zero evidence that the Astros considered the name "Railmen" (outside of unsubstantiated claims from our boards), I still went ahead with it. I titled the scripts (per @coco1997's recommendation) and tried out Brick-centric road uniforms (per @MJD7's advice):

WCwT93p.png

oDQEKva.png

dARnyJk.png

qyyaoZH.png

Amo69LC.png

In cleanup:

HOUSTON RAILERS - Tequila Sunrise on a Train.

Also, since @MJD7 proposed building a whole set around the Astros-style alternate, I did just that. It also includes my button-front/belted pants take on the Tequila Sunrise, which would be a sublimation festival!

MyrEe4b.png

YCsMrVs.png

D4NIBMm.png

pMlfBVF.png

It was fun!

The Giants should be up later tonight!

I think I actually prefer that entire Astros alt-inspired Railmen set, especially with the tequila sunrise alt. Nice suggestion, @MJD7! Could you put the  tan "H" logo and front numbers on the black alt?

Minimizing the red on the '90s set was a good call, too. I dig the orange alt with the '94-99 shooting star, but the all-orange look is a bit intense. Maybe make the cap navy with an orange bill?

14 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Wow! This looks amazing. I'd buy this jersey (maybe after the ALCS, go Yanks). Thanks, @SFGiants58

Thanks! I'm surprised Lids or Hat Club hasn't done hats with the 1994-99 star in the navy/orange colors. I'd consider buying one.

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I think I actually prefer that entire Astros alt-inspired Railmen set, especially with the tequila sunrise alt. Nice suggestion, @MJD7! Could you put the  tan "H" logo and front numbers on the black alt?

Minimizing the red on the '90s set was a good call, too. I dig the orange alt with the '94-99 shooting star, but the all-orange look is a bit intense. Maybe make the cap navy with an orange bill?

Thanks! @MJD7 made a fantastic suggestion, and it turned out better than I thought it would. I've got new versions of that black alt and a less orangey edition of the '94-'99 rainbow:

HOU9499_RainbowJersey.thumb.png.a516407a45524f646633988b39b64aef.png

HOURailmenA_Alts1B.thumb.png.65481d346540bdeb782e280279428fd1.png

I didn't suppose that the "H" would be balanced enough, but the front number and the sleeve stripes work wonders with it.

I've also added Brick-centric Railmen road uniforms to my previous post. I don't know why I forgot to add them the first time.

Now, our feature presentation!

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS, PT. I - My team, my mini-tweaks!

As you can tell from my board nickname, I am a fan of the San Francisco Giants baseball club. It's run in my family since the 1960's (on my Mom's side), and I've stuck with them ever since I was a little kid. I remember getting my heart broken in 2002 and 2003, and watching as the crazy team fell apart under the strain of egos, age, and money. I also remember my high school years of watching the team get its collective crap together and go on the most unlikely and enjoyable World Series run in 2010 (Have you looked at the batting lineup of that squad? It's mind-boggling how a group of nobodies did that). While I love the 2012 and 2014 squads, the 2010 team will always have a special place in my heart. Not just because of that rotation (I miss ya, Big Time Timmy Jim), all of the joy of winning the first title in San Francisco, or attending Game 3 of the NLCS and Game 1 of the World Series. No no, the uniforms played a part in that, too.

You see, the 2010 team had a road uniform that matched the home uniform (and tributed the 1960's grays ), without the needless placket trim. They also had a better orange top, wore the orange-billed cap more often (unpopular opinion, but I love that hat), and more guys wore the tri-stripe socks. So, I figured I should go back to that, but with a twist. 

This twist is that I wanted a better primary logo than just the team wordmark in front of a ball. I know that it's a Giants trademark, but I don't like it. I wanted a logo with more of a San Francisco vibe, without having to use cable car/trolley imagery (it's too close to the Bums). So, I opted to add the Golden Gate Bridge to the top of the logo in two ways. The first is a straight-up depiction of the structure from the 50th-anniversary logo with a little distortion. The second is that the top of the bridge mimics the shape of the towers (from the current alternate logo and 2010 World Champions mark ). It's a fun touch, and it reminds me of one of my favorite John Barry compositions  (warning: Tanya Roberts screams a lot).

Outside of the primary logo, I replaced the Copperplate fonts with Ocean Beach Major. It's a close imitator of the Giants' lettering font. I updated the old roundel to tie in with the new primary. Gold and its drop shadows are no longer a part of the color scheme, as I've never been fond of them.

MvBw61W.png

The uniforms go back to their 2010 form, with a few adjustments. The new primary is on the sleeves of the home jersey, while the tertiary patch is on the road. The tri-stripe socks are now full-time. I thought about bringing in my condensed "Giants/Pirates font" for the road uniform, but it had legibility issues. I went with the primary on the home uniform at first, but I reconsidered it after @coco1997 suggested it was "too much creme." He was right, so I updated it. Here is the original version.

sXyoyfn.png

The alternates get a bit of a re-jig. The 2010 orange top now comes with the orange-billed cap, and I made a new black top. This one has the "SF" insignia on the chest, placket trim, and three stripes on the sleeves. It ties the socks in with the jersey, and casually tributes the 1983-93 grays (without being a redundant grey top). It's got the minimal-creme tertiary logo on the sleeve.

q75rqgq.png

The other alternates are nothing fancy. The first set pairs the orange-billed cap with the home set, while the second is a recreation of the 1933 uniform. I've always liked the way it looked (familiar, yet different), and it pairs well with the similar alt I made for the Dodgers. 

LVywAhI.png

The Giants don't need to do much to have a top-notch set. By tweaking the primary logo and cleaning up the uniform templates, they can go from an 8 to a perfect 10! C+C is appreciated.

Up next, let's "Seal" the deal!

P.S. The modeling numbers are 58 for the 1958 relocation year and 32 for Mr. Rally Enchilada himself, Ryan Vogelsong!

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

CHICAGO CUBS - Road Variants

Per @BJ Sands' request, I've mocked up the Cubs' road uniforms in both striping styles, thin and thick:

TNrYBSU.png

L0zMBHC.png

I've also thrown in a full Chicago flag version of the Wishbone C-style concept's alternate.

nb3iEgC.png

MILWAUKEE BREWERS - Ball-in-Glove lovers edition

Since there are many BiG fans out there, I figured I'd try to see what my concept would look like with it at the forefront. I also followed @the admiral's suggestion for the Wisconsin logo and added an Owgust cap. While I like my original design a bit more, it doesn't look too shabby with the BiG!

kSFCwAO.png

TyXkUXC.png

UdLU7yX.png

MILWAUKEE BREWERS - "Civic" color scheme edition

Because there are some who insist that Milwaukee/Wisconsin's teams share a color scheme of green/gold, I figured it'd be fun to mock up my alternate take in those colors. I like it, but the navy works more in this look.

n0c3jVc.png

4wjMdow.png

EIBy2g1.png

Thanks! The Giants will be up later today.

Thanks for showing the Brewers in green, although I agree navy works a little better. Looking forward to seeing the G-Men!

The Giants look great. Surprised you didn't go with a modified 94-99 San Francisco for the road. 

Random thought: how is it that the Giants can fit 12 letters (plus a space), but Arizona can't fit Diamondbacks? If the Giants can have a thinner font for the road, then why don't they just do that for the home or an alternate? 

Man, there are so many great ways the Padres can go, any of these would work...and yet they choose the blandest route, smh.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Thanks! I got you covered there!

SD_HomeandRoadB2BN.thumb.png.042fdd8064a40306cf9b57d20a9f9f51.png

I'm surprised with how much like it, and how much it's making me want a peanut butter cup.

That looks fantastic & shows you how that Brown & Orange can work for the Padres with the team looking nothing like the Giants. Also, the Peanut Butter Cup feeling is perfectly normal. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

First off, the navy cap on the orange Astros alt and the tweaked Railmen alt look great. 

Now onto San Fran: I love everything you've done with them. If I were tweaking the Giants, this is exactly how I'd do it--no unnecessary gold, a black alt with orange chest logo & placket piping and an orange-billed cap. The only thing I'm not big on is the sleeve patch on the road jersey. Creme on gray looks odd, so I'd use the tertiary logo instead. 

I can't believe this hugely impressive and ambitious series is nearly at its end! I'm curious what color scheme you've chosen for the Seals. I've always liked the idea of a bluish-purple like this and orange. I'm sure whatever you've come up with will be awesome. 

Thanks, guys!

8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Thanks for showing the Brewers in green, although I agree navy works a little better. Looking forward to seeing the G-Men!

You're welcome and thank you. I'm surprised I don't see more green Brewers merchandise, given the presence of both the Packers and Bucks.

7 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

The Giants look great. Surprised you didn't go with a modified 94-99 San Francisco for the road. 

Random thought: how is it that the Giants can fit 12 letters (plus a space), but Arizona can't fit Diamondbacks? If the Giants can have a thinner font for the road, then why don't they just do that for the home or an alternate? 

Man, there are so many great ways the Padres can go, any of these would work...and yet they choose the blandest route, smh.

Thanks! I did think about using my radial arched 1994-99 wordmark, but I determined that it still looked like ass. @MJD7's series showed that the only way to make that script look good was to remove its outlines. With outlines, it's near-illegible.

With the Diamondbacks, it comes down to outlines. They've always gone for double outlines, and the longer wordmarks ("San Francisco" and "Cincinnati") use single outlines with a bit of drop shadow. Besides, it's been done, and I think the results speak for themselves.

7 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

That looks fantastic & shows you how that Brown & Orange can work for the Padres with the team looking nothing like the Giants. Also, the Peanut Butter Cup feeling is perfectly normal. 

Thank you! I was surprised at how my fonts and brown shade (lighter than the 1985-90 one) made them look way less like the Giants. I liked it better than my "Mission" set in those colors. Also, peanut butter cups (Reese's, Justin's, etc.) are best when they've been refrigerated for at least two hours. 

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

First off, the navy cap on the orange Astros alt and the tweaked Railmen alt look great. 

Now onto San Fran: I love everything you've done with them. If I were tweaking the Giants, this is exactly how I'd do it--no unnecessary gold, a black alt with orange chest logo & placket piping and an orange-billed cap. The only thing I'm not big on is the sleeve patch on the road jersey. Creme on gray looks odd, so I'd use the tertiary logo instead. 

I can't believe this hugely impressive and ambitious series is nearly at its end! I'm curious what color scheme you've chosen for the Seals. I've always liked the idea of a bluish-purple like this and orange. I'm sure whatever you've come up with will be awesome. 

Thank you! I'm redoing the road uniform to include the tertiary patch in my original post. They did the different home/road patches from 2000-2010, so it's fitting that they should keep it up. 

I'm thinking of doing a merged Giants-Seals look, much like I did with the Dodgers-LA Angels. Navy/orange is on the table, as are black/orange/gray and maybe dark green/orange/gray (I loved the way those colors look together). 

The Houston tequila sunrise looks nice! I would personally stick closer to the template of the original alternate by using more sand, but it still looks fine.

The Giants uniforms are pretty much perfect. No need to change much, I especially like the thinking behind the black alternate. One thing that I can’t put my finger on though is the primary, there just seems to be a lot of empty space and lines ending abruptly. The Giants’ primary is definitely a tough problem to fix, I will say that.

I’m really looking forward to the Seals, I was hoping you’d go in that direction!

On 10/12/2017 at 2:52 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Per @the admiral's recommendation, I adjusted the gradient to lessen the red. It's much cleaner now and reads more like my beloved 1997-2010 Warriors. I also fixed the kerning on the numbers.

Eek -- I think I said you had the color distribution just right with how much red was there (i.e., it was there a little, but not too much). I didn't mean to make you do more work! But it looks good this way too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks, guys!

On 10/13/2017 at 8:57 AM, coco1997 said:

I just noticed you snuck in the prototype '80s Padres batterman logo on the brown and orange set. Pretty clever! 

Could we see a set of alternates in those colors?

Thanks! I figured that I should put it somewhere, and since the Surfing Friar roundel would have looked bad in brown/yellow or brown/orange, it fits it well. I'm thinking of posting a bunch of Padres recolors in my old tweaks thread at some point, to get them out in the open.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:22 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Giants look amazing. Exactly the right kind of tweaks to fix a set that used to a 2 or 3 in baseball before jumping the shark. 

Thank you. The 2010 team had a perfect look (matching templates, the orange top and orange-billed cap alt, the socks, and no nameplates on the road), but then the team slowly took it apart. While I like the current orange top, I'd much prefer it if the team stuck with their 2010 options.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:26 AM, Ray Lankford said:

The Giants look so much better in white than they do in cream. 

I beg to differ. The creme has character to it, and it ties in with the stadium/retro aesthetic of the team. It also is a further degree of separation between the Giants and Orioles. I spent my formative years as a fan with creme home uniforms, so I've got a bias towards them.

On 10/13/2017 at 3:04 PM, MJD7 said:

The Houston tequila sunrise looks nice! I would personally stick closer to the template of the original alternate by using more sand, but it still looks fine.

The Giants uniforms are pretty much perfect. No need to change much, I especially like the thinking behind the black alternate. One thing that I can’t put my finger on though is the primary, there just seems to be a lot of empty space and lines ending abruptly. The Giants’ primary is definitely a tough problem to fix, I will say that.

I’m really looking forward to the Seals, I was hoping you’d go in that direction!

Thanks! I too like the black alt (as anything is better than the outline-only stuff the team has done in the past). The space is the result of me trying to create a "banner" behind the wordmark, for to give adequate distance between the bridge, script, and seams. 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Eek -- I think I said you had the color distribution just right with how much red was there (i.e., it was there a little, but not too much). I didn't mean to make you do more work! But it looks good this way too.

Thanks. Don't worry about it @the admiral, I was going to adjust the kerning on the font anyway. I like getting practice with Inkscape's many features.

Now, let's seal up this series!

SAN FRANCISCO SEALS, PT. II - We're going for a splash hit!

I've always found the PCL's San Francisco Seals fascinating. The stories of Lefty O'Doul (NY Giants player, Seals manage, and an influential figure in Japanese baseball history), Joe DiMaggio's 61-game hitting streak, and Seals Stadium are as crucial to the history of baseball in San Francisco as McCovey, Bonds, and Posey. While I love the history of the Giants organization (I'm still hoping for a John McGraw statue), I also adore the Seals' name and identity. It calls back to a retro San Francisco, as classy as a Cable Car ride or an It's-It ice cream sandwich (BTW, @Bucfan56 is right, those things are delicious). So, I decided to combine the two!

I opted to keep the black/orange, to fit with the standard of my Dodgers-Angels concept (maintaining the NYC colors). I brought in the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies' bronze color for the sea/sea lion logo and striping (as a little change of pace). The seal in the logo (a home plate version of my Giants primary) is in keeping with the aesthetic standards of the 1997/8 Cardinals redesign with minimal, yet modern detailing. It's a modernization of the Seals' old logos, albeit based on a real-life image of Zalophus californianus. The wordmark font is a slightly-thickened Futura, as it reminds me of the Michael Schwab posters I saw all around the Bay Area while growing up (he designed the 2007 All-Star Game logos). The secondary is my attempt to merge the Seals' old cap insignia with the Giants' 1994-present logo (which makes it resemble the NY Giants' cap a bit more). The seal/sea lion (who I'm calling "Lou," after the mascot) is the tertiary. 

jUQHv5X.png

The uniforms feature a few deviations from the current Giants' look. The stripes now go orange/black/bronze/black/orange, to get the bronze into the set and do an informal 1983-93 tribute. In doing the Giants-Seals translation, I figured that the Giants would adopt a modified version of the Seals' cursive script (given their dalliances with it and wanting more differentiation from the Pirates). Lary Baer and co. would have had the wordmarks modernized during the 1990's, and maybe tweaked a set a little in the move to Willy Mays Park in 2000. In reality, this was the perfect opportunity for me to turn the 1994-present dugout jacket/BP script into a set of uniform wordmarks. I opted to not use creme and no-NOB at home, because of the more "modern" status of the NL Seals. The number font is a sans-serif version of my Astros numerals, and the primary is on the sleeves of both uniforms.

9LOuyB4.png

The alternates are a translation of my Giants uniforms to the Seals identity. Lou is on the sleeve of the orange top, while the black top now features a front number and tweaked striping.

Z8GJRgZ.png

The second set of alternates are also translations. The orange-billed cap returns (I like it), while the Gotham Day uniform is a bit more of a hodgepodge. I went for the 1954 jerseys and pants while employing the 1933 caps and socks. I did this for two reasons. One: I like the older cap logo and sock stripes more than the later look and two: that I would prefer to not use a "NY" that's near-identical to the Mets' "NY." It's a bit of brand differentiation and personal preference.

qEq1bhT.png

I love the Giants, and I love the Seals. With this concept, the Giants can honor both the history of baseball in the City by the Bay and the storied heritage of the Polo Grounds squads. C+C is appreciated!

With that, MLB: Project 32 has concluded! I would like to thank all of the people who have followed this thread, like @coco1997, @MJD7, @Carolingian Steamroller, @the admiral, @Paul Lucas, @SS8609, and @KittSmith_95, among others. It was so much fun experimenting on these teams and incorporating the C+C into my designs. I'm probably going to do BP jerseys/caps and jackets, but that won't be for some time. I'm going to take a much-needed break. Thanks, guys and I'll see you soon!

ezgif.com-resize.gif.3c935a348877765852a96f83c2edd380.gif

Congratulations on seeing a league concept project through! Great work on the Seals and making a match for the Giants' interesting and underused cursive script. I love the Michael Schwab posters too. The 2007 All-Star Game package was one of my all-time favorites (with 2006 not far behind). And thank you for picking up on stray ideas I've had over the years but had been too incompetent or lazy to do justice in vector graphics. I like to think that beyond all my crappy joke posts on this board, I do have some decent ideas about sports aesthetics and design in general.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lym8v.gif

The Seals are a great way to end the series with a splash! I love the scripts made, the choice to go with a look that's similar to the NY Giants, the really nice looking seal logo.... it makes me sad that this series is over :(

Do you have any idea what you have planned next? I need my @SFGiants58 fix as much as I can get it. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived