MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

The Mariners look magnificent. Great update to a primary logo that I've long felt needed a refresh, and that secondary logo is simply fantastic. I love the tridents on the pants! The colors are just beautiful, too. 

The Heritage Day alt is very similar to the Mariners concept I created for my Vedder Cup set, so I'd like to think that maybe I provided some inspiration. :)

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the double-teal, but I have an issue with the logos because they do not form a cohesive set in my opinion.  You've got an anchor, the compass rose, and the trident; it's a hodgepodge of logos that don't really fit together that well.  Pick one (or at the most two) and build a set from that.  I personally think the trident should be the one to go, as the compass rose at least has the anchor integrated into it in some way.  That does mean you're losing an interesting design element in the pants stripe, but that's a small price to pay for a more cohesive logo set. 

58 minutes ago, scottyeagle said:

I really like the double-teal, but I have an issue with the logos because they do not form a cohesive set in my opinion.  You've got an anchor, the compass rose, and the trident; it's a hodgepodge of logos that don't really fit together that well.  Pick one (or at the most two) and build a set from that.  I personally think the trident should be the one to go, as the compass rose at least has the anchor integrated into it in some way.  That does mean you're losing an interesting design element in the pants stripe, but that's a small price to pay for a more cohesive logo set. 

If you don't mind my asking, how is it a hodgepodge? They're all nautical symbols. 

Pretty good! The Mariners are a team I never know what to do with because I feel the pull to make Seattle a really risk-taking team in terms of branding and color scheme, but that's so hard to do well. And I'm so over the Griffey/2001-era uniforms, which feel very stale to me. But I think the pseudo-retro script, of all things, is what's the most interesting in this package. I would want to play with that and maybe pursue something more Old Pacific Northwest? if that exists?

I like the color scheme very much, especially the priority of teal, absolutely the right tack to take with the M's.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

If you don't mind my asking, how is it a hodgepodge? They're all nautical symbols. 

You are correct, they most certainly are all nautical symbols, but that doesn't mean they fit into one cohesive logo package.  My point was a stronger set of logos could be had by employing only one or two of these nautical elements instead of all three.  Using three different nautical elements for three different logos for the same team dilutes the brand, in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, scottyeagle said:

You are correct, they most certainly are all nautical symbols, but that doesn't mean they fit into one cohesive logo package.  My point was a stronger set of logos could be had by employing only one or two of these nautical elements instead of all three.  Using three different nautical elements for three different logos for the same team dilutes the brand, in my opinion.

Yeah, you're right about that one. It does kind of seem like I'm grabbing from too many places at once. I have an idea on how to consolidate it:

I'll remove the compass rose from the roundel - which also eliminates the problem of the small patch area and awkward beveling on the mint teal alt - I would also add the secondary's anchors to the trident logo in place of "EST. 1977." - two nautical elements, anchor and trident. I happen to like the pants design more than the compass rose backing.

My other idea would be to not give the trident its own logo. Instead, have the anchor isolated with the "Mariners" wordmark in front of it. Like the patterned trim of the Diamondbacks, I don't need to have a logo featuring the trident pants stripe.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Pretty good! The Mariners are a team I never know what to do with because I feel the pull to make Seattle a really risk-taking team in terms of branding and color scheme, but that's so hard to do well. And I'm so over the Griffey/2001-era uniforms, which feel very stale to me. But I think the pseudo-retro script, of all things, is what's the most interesting in this package. I would want to play with that and maybe pursue something more Old Pacific Northwest? if that exists?

I like the color scheme very much, especially the priority of teal, absolutely the right tack to take with the M's.

As somebody who did their undergrad in Portland, the "old" Pacific Northwest would involve more red in the identity. It'd be a bit of a red-green combo, with touches of blue and gold.

publicmarket11.jpgmonorail-terminal.jpg?w=1070o.jpg

That kind of look would work for the Seattle Rainiers, but not really for the Mariners. Some teams shouldn't go all old-timey, and the Mariners are one of those teams. I think I might do a Rainiers set, if only to see if I can do something Pacific Northwest-y with that identity.

44 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

My other idea would be to not give the trident its own logo. Instead, have the anchor isolated with the "Mariners" wordmark in front of it.

Does this idea mean you'd remove the anchor from being intertwined with the "S" in the primary?

I've done the streamlining for the Mariners, now featuring a logo with the anchor and the script. I've adjusted the road alternate accordingly.

NhDWf7q.png

1yOlOAA.png

This way, the brand is more streamlined. The trident, while no longer part of a logo, is still on the pants stripe as a little "mythology gag."

Now, alternate take time!

SEATTLE MARINERS, PT. II - A nautical twist in Royal Blue and Yellow

I've made it no secret that I hate the Mariners in royal and yellow with the trident. The Mariners were failures on the verge of relocation in royal/yellow, the upside-down trident was a symbol of bad luck, and the royal/yellow colors are far more identifiable with the Brewers than the Mariners. It was also in these colors that the Mariners wore the worst uniforms in baseball history. However, there's a lot of potential in these design elements. The colors are nautical enough (which worked for both the Pilots and Mariners), and they can look good with the right font and colorway. So, I went ahead with it!

I recolored the trident from the previous set (pointed upright), within a baseball diamond. The fonts and an anchor-free version of the "S" logo return. The tertiary logo is a crossed-trident behind the "Mariners" script.

33pwogk.png

The uniforms are similar to the main concept, but with a few tweaks. The caps are full blue with a yellow/white-outlined logo, the sock stripe pattern is a light homage to the Pilots, and I placed a nautical knot pattern on the sleeve stripes. It was a subtle touch that was too good to pass up. It's here that the trident-esque "M" becomes obvious, as it shares the trident's barbs on the two long bars.

8UG1MTJ.png

I opted to use two royal jerseys as the alternates. The home alternate has an alternate cap, the "captain's hat." I wanted to have at least one team with a white cap, and I thought it looked good on the Mariners. The road jersey has the tertiary logo on the sleeve.

doAe4G0.png

The "captain's hat" returns on the home uniform for select days. The Rainiers-style fauxback emulates the 1939 Seattle Rainiers.

GrKUT3w.png

I don't like blue and yellow for the Mariners, but I think it can be done in a tasteful way. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, the Texas Rangers!

Love the streamlined Part I Mariners. Intentional or not, the points at the bottom of the "M" kind of evoke a trident, even if they are pointing downward. Therefore, I don't think eliminating the trident from the logos is a complete loss. 

What can I say about the blue & gold M's that @Carolingian Steamroller hasn't already said? Everything is perfect. The nautical knot on the sleeves in particular is inspired. 

The Mariners look great! I particularly love the nautical knot and the captain's hat, though I agree with you that blue and yellow isn't the best scheme for them. Regardless, you did a great job of making it look good.

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I've done the streamlining for the Mariners, now featuring a logo with the anchor and the script. I've adjusted the road alternate accordingly.

NhDWf7q.png

1yOlOAA.png

This way, the brand is more streamlined. The trident, while no longer part of a logo, is still on the pants stripe as a little "mythology gag."

Now, alternate take time!

SEATTLE MARINERS, PT. II - A nautical twist in Royal Blue and Yellow

I've made it no secret that I hate the Mariners in royal and yellow with the trident. The Mariners were failures on the verge of relocation in royal/yellow, the upside-down trident was a symbol of bad luck, and the royal/yellow colors are far more identifiable with the Brewers than the Mariners. It was also in these colors that the Mariners wore the worst uniforms in baseball history. However, there's a lot of potential in these design elements. The colors are nautical enough (which worked for both the Pilots and Mariners), and they can look good with the right font and colorway. So, I went ahead with it!

I recolored the trident from the previous set (pointed upright), within a baseball diamond. The fonts and an anchor-free version of the "S" logo return. The tertiary logo is a crossed-trident behind the "Mariners" script.

33pwogk.png

The uniforms are similar to the main concept, but with a few tweaks. The caps are full blue with a yellow/white-outlined logo, the sock stripe pattern is a light homage to the Pilots, and I placed a nautical knot pattern on the sleeve stripes. It was a subtle touch that was too good to pass up. It's here that the trident-esque "M" becomes obvious, as it shares the trident's barbs on the two long bars.

8UG1MTJ.png

I opted to use two royal jerseys as the alternates. The home alternate has an alternate cap, the "captain's hat." I wanted to have at least one team with a white cap, and I thought it looked good on the Mariners. The road jersey has the tertiary logo on the sleeve.

doAe4G0.png

The "captain's hat" returns on the home uniform for select days. The Rainiers-style fauxback emulates the 1939 Seattle Rainiers.

GrKUT3w.png

I don't like blue and yellow for the Mariners, but I think it can be done in a tasteful way. C+C is appreciated, as always!

Up next, the Texas Rangers!

YEAH! The Mariners old colors. AWESOME!

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The work you put in was objectively good but you made such an airtight case against your own concept before you posted the image that I didn't like it very much.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

SFGiants58, this has to be arguably one of the best, if not THE BEST, concept threads I have ever seen par excellence. The placement of the AL expansion team in Carolina is golden and showcases a virtually ignored color scheme that actually would work well given the region's trendsetter status (Charlotte, after all, made teal famous with the Hornets). I also like the streamlined Red Sox and Yankees looks, the addition of red to the White Sox scheme (to reflect vintage uniform looks + Reinsdorf's ownership of the Bulls), the new look Indians logo, and the great redesigns of the Twins, (Sting)rays and Mariners that more accurately reflect their markets and associated cultures. I would leave the Royals alone, because there are a plenty of folks in KC who actually put up with powder blue with nary a complaint.

I also like seeing my hometown Astros return to the NL (where they belong) which restores tradition (it was a historical NL farm stronghold most commonly associated with the Cardinals and Cubs farm systems) and should also benefit Houston's long-suffering regional sports network with regards to out-of-market coverage and availability since many cable and satellite providers still don't have what is now AT&T SportsNet Southwest, which languished as Comcast SportsNet Houston for these reasons and then some.

That being said, I believe the Arizona Diamondbacks should stay in the NL and the Astros should swap with the Colorado Rockies instead for a variety of reasons. A lot of Houstonians were taken aback by MLB forcing the Astros to move to the AL as a condition of Jim Crane's purchase of the team for the aforementioned farm-team ties I mentioned below. The same should also be expected of the Diamondbacks in your alignment scenario with regards to Phoenix being a historic NL farm city largely associated with the Giants (remember the Firebirds?). It also further justifies the Mariners' position as an island unto itself within the AL map, which adds a larger collective burden to the latter team's travel itinerary. Finally, Phoenix and Seattle have little in common with one another -- the geographies of the two cities are vastly different, as are their economic and political cultures.

By contrast, the Rockies would be a better bet for the Astros to swap with because Denver and Seattle have much more in common with one another on many levels, not to mention the fact that the old Denver Bears/Zephyrs had no distinct ties to one particular league, often hopping between the AL and NL farms over the course of its history. Denver is closer to Seattle than Phoenix is, and once the Sonics come back to the NBA when that league's inevitable expansion rolls around, it will become a major rival to the Nuggets in addition to a budding Mariners-Rockies rivalry with lower travel costs. Denver and Seattle are also situated near mountain ranges (the Rockies and the Cascades, respectively), and are both politically progressive cities with their own iconic latter-day fast-casual giants (Chipotle and Starbucks), scenic Pac-12 (or is it Pac-16?) bastions (CU and UW), large high-tech economies, street cred with millennials, indie music cultures, legalized marijuana, iconic 90s TV shows (South Park and Frasier), and even common TV broadcasting traits with Fox stations (KDVR and KCPQ) owned by Tribune (soon to be Sinclair), NBC stations (KUSA and KING) owned by TEGNA, CW stations (KWGN and KSTW) on the VHF dial and AT&T-owned RSNs in both cities.

Finally, in regards to the other AL West teams, metro Denver has plenty of transplants from Texas (Rangers - yes, I've let the rabbit out of the hat!), Orange County (Angels) and Chicago (White Sox), plus a similar progressive culture in comparison to the Twin Cities (Twins), and traditional ties to AFC markets (the Royals in the Chiefs' market, the A's in the Raiders' soon-to-be former market, which ironically hosted the A's at one time when they were redoing the A's ballpark to build the infamous Mount Davis).

By my logic, the Rockies and the AL would go together like clockwork and produce a much stronger intraleague rivalry as opposed to a disjointed Diamondbacks-Mariners one with little to brag about.

Archived