NCAA Division I map

I've been working on this for some time now and thought I'd share it with all of you college sports fans. This map shows every NCAA Division I program as of this year. While I know other maps have existed previously, none of them were completely up-to-date, so I took it upon myself to create one. The only program that isn't included on the map is Hawaii (Sorry, Rainbow Warriors!) due to their location. While I know there might be some programs that are slightly off in location, it was extremely tough to place everybody exactly without any guidelines. I did my best, so cut me some slack if something is a few miles off! ^_^

One thing that still stands out to me is how distance there is between programs once you get west of Texas and east of the West Coast. There are plenty of programs on the eastern seaboard, especially around New England and the Mid Atlantic, but when you look at states like Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, and Nebraska, giant plots of land are without DI representation. It's wild to compare that to states like Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, New York, and Texas to see that giant contrast.

Anyways, enjoy!

n56y8.jpg

Wow, I am actually working on this exact same project right now.  All I got left is the NE & east coast states.  My difference is that all my states are white (i could change that) and I'm not allowing any overlapping.  That gets really difficult for the major cities like Chicago, LA, and Houston.  I do also have Hawaii & Alaska in the bottom left corner, scaled down, of course.  As for the transiitioning teams, most of those are fully DI on July 1st this year so it's not far away.

My biggest surprises with DI one is how close the schools are in Utah & Colorado and how many there are in North Carolina.

After that I'm working on DII, DIII, NAIA, NJCAA, and the smaller associations.  I'm going to try to get all of NCAA's logos on one map and then do all like 2000 logos on another.

Cool to see someone else with the same mindset as me.  Sure these have been done many times but it always cool to be able to make your own.

Is this map based only on full university Division 1 membership? I've noticed that a lot of schools with D1 sports aren't there, particularly a lot of hockey programs, which would be explained if you only went with full D1 (which also explains only having one program in Minnesota). Not really an issue, just curious.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, Lafarge said:

Is this map based only on full university Division 1 membership? I've noticed that a lot of schools with D1 sports aren't there, particularly a lot of hockey programs, which would be explained if you only went with full D1 (which also explains only having one program in Minnesota). Not really an issue, just curious.

That's what I noticed. You're just saying "D1" programs, but there are many schools that are in different divisions for different sports.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I love living in Denver but I've already gone to basketball games at all of those schools in that little clump. Sucks because after those six schools you have a long way to drive to get to the next closest one. :/

2 hours ago, slapshot said:

That's what I noticed. You're just saying "D1" programs, but there are many schools that are in different divisions for different sports.

Just full D1

It's a neat idea. Why not have insets where you can have zoomed-in sections of the map where there are a lot of programs clumped together, like in New England? (That area between Boston and UNH will get filled up when you put UMass Lowell in there, for example.)

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

14 hours ago, OMMF said:

So what's the deal with Minnesota? How does a state that big have only one D-1 program?

State Politics. And the fact the Twin Cities is the only market in the state worth anything to the media,

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

49 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

State Politics. And the fact the Twin Cities is the only market in the state worth anything to the media,

That's the reason UN-Lincoln has agreed not to have hockey and UN-Omaha discontinued football. No in-state competition for Maverick hockey or Husker football, which are both fiercely competitive in their own right. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived