Which Major League ballpark has the best background?

Victormrey

Would love to show some ranger pride right now but their parks veiw is just boring, that's what you get when your in Arlington and the only buildings tall enough to be seen are six flags and AT&T stadium and these are behind home plate :(

IMG_8861.JPG

Excellent!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the people saying the Wrigley view was tarnished by the scoreboards, I submit that the damage was done decades earlier when the lawn chairs and coolers of beer on the rooftops were replaced by complex bleacher structures sold at suite prices. Not sure why those abominations often get a pass. (Still a solid neighborhood view, especially when the L passes by or if you are up high enough to see the lake.)

When I was growing up, the must-play parks in video games were Kansas City for the fountains, Wrigley for the ivy and Boston for the monster. The rest were cookie cutter or the backdrop too distant (thinking mountains here).

For my money the best baseball view I had as a kid was John O'Donnell Stadium (now Modern Woodmen Park). It had the river, bridges and "skyline" (tallest structure is a TV transmission tower).

So PNC is No. 1 for me for taking that style to a major-league level, literally, with an honorable mention to the Reds. There are so many good ones now, from the Giants (probably my No. 2) and Cardinals to the Padres and Orioles. The Twins' park is amazing how it is tucked into downtown without giant light structures. And I even realized from this thread that I might have sold the Tigers short just because of where my seat was (RF).

PNC Park has got to be the winner hands down.  Some others that come close are AT&T, Comerica, and Target.  For the minors, it's definitely Smith's Ballpark in Salt Lake.  That mountain view is just stunning.

On 5/22/2017 at 7:33 PM, kimball said:

I've been to Dodger Stadium a number of times and while I don't mind the view from the outfield, I always felt if it faced downtown it'd be a much better view. I can't be the only one that thinks so?

dodger15955.jpg

546.jpg

On 5/23/2017 at 6:50 AM, Gothamite said:

I don't know how much you'd be able to see - notice the ridge of Chavez Ravine, which might block the view.  There's also the small problem that downtown is actually slightly west of Dodger Stadium, so re-orienting it would cause sunset issues.

And keep in mind that when the stadium was built, Downtown LA looked like this:

Dodger_Stadium2.jpg

So there wouldn't have been much of a view anyway.  I'm sure they couldn't see 30 years into the future.

Archived