PayPal Sues Pandora Over New Logo

LAWeaver

Here are the two logos side-by-side:

pandora_paypal_logo_battle.0.jpg

PayPal is on the left, while the new Pandora logo is on the right.

To me, they're similar enough to cause confusion, which is becoming quite evident based on the number of tweets and other posts by people saying that they can't tell the two apart. If you told me that PayPal had simplified their logo and changed it to the one on the right, I wouldn't have been surprised at all.

To the above point, when Wired first wrote an article about Pandora's logo change back in October (well before this suit was filed), how did they describe it?

At first glance, the new app icon looks understated, its form and color reminiscent of the PayPal logo; the updated Pandora “P” has no counter (the open space between the stem and the bowl of the “P”), and sports a subtle blue gradient.

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/pandoras-new-logo-channels-simplicity-80s-era-mtv/

Copyright infringement cases are always tough to litigate, but this is a very legitimate case. Pandora was quite stupid to cut off all contact with PayPal during previous attempts to mediate the issue; they should have known that the next logical step for PayPal would be legal action, which would cause the whole issue to be played out in the public eye.

4 minutes ago, ODUMonarchs said:

This would drive me nuts. They would have to be on different pages

A well-designed app icon should be recognizable with a single, quick glance. This would definitely not be. And if for no other reason than that, Pandora has done a great disservice not only to themselves, but to PayPal as well.

5 hours ago, eRay said:

This is hilarious to me because I have the two apps next to each other in my phone and constantly mix them up. 

"Yes, Your Honor, the Plaintiff calls eRay to the stand."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes.  Very much so. 

In fact, it's nearly doubled its number of active registered users since the first quarter of 2012. 

I wonder if that is including venmo users as their subsidiary or not. Large majority of people I know around my age (mid 20s-early 30s) are using venmo more and more.

Regardless, what a boring logo choice for Pandora anyway. This is doing them a favor by forcing a change.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

12 minutes ago, MiK said:

I wonder if that is including venmo users as their subsidiary or not. Large majority of people I know around my age (mid 20s-early 30s) are using venmo more and more.

No idea, since PayPal doesn't release the numbers of Venmo users.   We do know that in dollar amounts they accounted for about a fifth of Paypal's volume in the third quarter of last year, though. 

http://fortune.com/2016/10/20/venmo-20-billion/

Why do people choose Venmo over PayPal when PayPal does what it does very well and is industry standard?

At one point when I attempted to try out Venmo, it asked me for my banking username and password - AYFKM?  Maybe because I'm in information security, but that's simply absurd.  I actually read it multiple times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding what it was asking for, because it seemed so crazy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why do people choose Venmo over PayPal when PayPal does what it does very well and is industry standard?

At one point when I attempted to try out Venmo, it asked me for my banking username and password - AYFKM?  Maybe because I'm in information security, but that's simply absurd.  I actually read it multiple times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding what it was asking for, because it seemed so crazy.

i  believe PayPal charges a fee for transactions, but Venmo does not. i use both but honestly, i dont even know what that fee is/are. my personal preference though is Google Wallet. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

PayPal doesn't charge a fee unless it's a commercial purchase for which you need protection (ebay, etc.)  For sending money between friends (or "under the table" business deals) it's totally free.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It does that because Venmo withdraws from your checking account immediately to pay for transactions. It's a checkbook within an app.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

PayPal doesn't charge a fee unless it's a commercial purchase for which you need protection (ebay, etc.)  For sending money between friends (or "under the table" business deals) it's totally free.

Are you totally sure about that? I was paid via PayPal for game operations for an indoor football team, and PayPal took their cut of the fee I was paid.

For that reason, the only time I use it is for ebay transactions. If I'm going to get paid, I want the full amount I'm due (unless I have no choice, such as ebay).

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Are you totally sure about that? I was paid via PayPal for game operations for an indoor football team, and PayPal took their cut of the fee I was paid.

For that reason, the only time I use it is for ebay transactions. If I'm going to get paid, I want the full amount I'm due (unless I have no choice, such as ebay).

The sender has to specifically select the "send money to friends and family" option when sending money to avoid the fee.

Just now, C-Squared said:

The sender has to specifically select the "send money to friends and family" option when sending money to avoid the fee.

I didn't know that - wish I knew then as it cost me.

It's where I sit.

Archived