8993

Local TV station logos

Recommended Posts

leopard88    962
14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

I grew up with rabbit ears and separate dials for UHF, so I guess I'm an oldtimer too.  "That's the way it's always been" is usually not a good reason to keep doing something.  Of course the affiliates refer to themselves using the numbers - at least for now, that's part of their brand.  I guess they're stlil broadcast on those numbers on OTA HD, so the FCC probably assigns them.

 

It's reasonable to assume that there's a time in the near future where they'll be obsolete, and they'll just go by "NBC Baltimore" or something like that.

 

Both true statements . . . with one caveat.

 

In the event of any future affiliate switches, not having the numbers may cause more confusion.  Suddenly, NBC Baltimore is at a different place on the dial with a different local news team and ABC Baltimore is in the old NBC Baltimore spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BringBackTheVet    4,173

Right, but here's how it is now (I'm just making up the numbers)

 

NBC Baltimore

OTA = Channel 11

Comcast SD = 403

Comcast HD = 803

Dish = 1325

Streaming Services (Sling, VUE, YouTube TV, etc.) = no channel at all, just an icon to click on.

 

So even updating the number from NBC11 to NBC15 won't really help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the admiral    10,288
On 7/13/2017 at 4:40 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

It's reasonable to assume that there's a time in the near future where they'll be obsolete, and they'll just go by "NBC Baltimore" or something like that.

I believe this is happening with the new "NBC Boston" that lives on a low-power subchannel or something because NBC dropped their original affiliate.

 

Chicagoans seem pretty set in their ways in referring to over-the-air stations by channel number. WGN and "channel 9" are used interchangeably. Channel 32 went by "Fox Chicago" for years but finally went back to "Fox 32" which everyone had been calling it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BringBackTheVet    4,173

Yeah Fox here tried "My Fox Philly" for a while, breaking away from most references to the number, then threw up the white flag and went back to Fox 29.

 

For my generation, and maybe the next, it seems normal and we understand why it's like that, but to the generations after that, it must make no sense since those numbers have no meaning.

 

I'm not sure what the branding solution is here, but it'll be really interesting to see how these stations refer to themselves in 10-20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the admiral    10,288
3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

For my generation, and maybe the next, it seems normal and we understand why it's like that, but to the generations after that, it must make no sense since those numbers have no meaning.

Is it possible that cord-cutting will have the opposite effect? If you have a digital antenna to supplement your streaming, channel 5 goes back to being channel 5 -- or 5.1, whatever. 

 

If anything is facing down meaninglessness in local television, it's local newscasts. Even now they mostly seem to exist for certain meteorologists to remind men of a certain age what boners feel like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sodboy13    2,560

Patrick Sharp is 35 years old.

 

Anyway, looking to the past, whether by coincidence or by planning, WPWR-TV 50 in Gary/Chicago ended up being Channel 8 on basically every provider in the city and suburbs. For several years, their print ads had "CABLE 8" printed under the station logo. If that was planning on their part, hats off to them on being as forward-thinking as they were when they sold the station to Fox for an obscene amount of money (EDIT: $425 million!) so Fox could have an O&O for its "myNetwork" failure.

 

Since all the network stations here are O&O, the logos are pretty standard. So instead, let me take you to WSAW-TV out of Wausau, Wisconsin. The station originally operated out of a mansion that was very castle-like in appearance. So they used an Old English "7" for their logo, often accompanied by a knight named Sir Seven. He's made some scattered reappearances here and there in the past few years.

 

sir7.jpg

golf300250.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sportscenter    51

KTVQ in Billings Montana the area CBS station

 

First id used on Sept. 5, 1972 after the switch from the KOOK-TV name

ktvq-2-billings-mt-first-id-9-5-1972-joh

Mid 70's

ktvq-2-billings-mt-id-1970s-johninarizon

1980's/1990's

ktvq-2-billings-mt-1990s-id-johninarizon

Mid 2000's/Current

318951?width=1200

In 2016 they got a new graphics package and they brought back the MTN logo

9166597_G.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChicagoOakland    390
On 7/16/2017 at 0:49 AM, Sodboy13 said:

Patrick Sharp is 35 years old.

 

Anyway, looking to the past, whether by coincidence or by planning, WPWR-TV 50 in Gary/Chicago ended up being Channel 8 on basically every provider in the city and suburbs. For several years, their print ads had "CABLE 8" printed under the station logo. If that was planning on their part, hats off to them on being as forward-thinking as they were when they sold the station to Fox for an obscene amount of money (EDIT: $425 million!) so Fox could have an O&O for its "myNetwork" failure.

 

Since all the network stations here are O&O, the logos are pretty standard. So instead, let me take you to WSAW-TV out of Wausau, Wisconsin. The station originally operated out of a mansion that was very castle-like in appearance. So they used an Old English "7" for their logo, often accompanied by a knight named Sir Seven. He's made some scattered reappearances here and there in the past few years.

 

sir7.jpg

golf300250.jpg

What in the world did WSAW do to him in the update?? He looks like a medieval version of Alpha from Power Rangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leopard88    962
On 7/31/2017 at 1:20 AM, Sportscenter said:

KTVQ in Billings Montana the area CBS station

 

First id used on Sept. 5, 1972 after the switch from the KOOK-TV name

 

Really?  Did someone think about this before selecting/assigning the letters?

 

On 7/31/2017 at 1:20 AM, Sportscenter said:

ktvq-2-billings-mt-first-id-9-5-1972-joh

 


This one looks like it was drawn in 7th grade art class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
logodawg    9
On 7/3/2017 at 2:44 PM, CMUBrent said:

The TV station logos in Mid-Michigan (Bay City, Saginaw, Midland, Flint):

 

WNEM TV 5, the CBS affiliate

WNEM_Logo.png

 

 

My dad hates that logo. When they came out with it about 15 years he said "it looks like a woman pregnant with the CBS logo"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now