2017/18 NHL Refresh (24/31 BOS Added)

JB Designs

With the NHL moving to Adidas this year, I thought it'd be the right time to try my hand at a full-scale redesign of the entire league. Since these are concepts, I want to at least change something about each team's uniforms to give them a new look. Some updates will be large and some small, and this by no means represents my ideal look for each team, just a way to give some new design to each.

Teams Completed:

Pacific Division: COMPLETE

Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles KingsSan Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks, Vegas Golden Knights

Central Division: COMPLETE

Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues, Winnipeg Jets

Metropolitan Division: COMPLETE
Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals

Atlantic Division:

Boston Bruins,

Thanks,

JB Designs

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Jose Sharks

First off is the San Jose Sharks. I have thought for awhile that the Sharks logos could use an update and I believe the Los Tiburones look debuted this past season does just that. As such, this logo set is promoted to the primary and orange is eliminated from the uniforms. The Home and Road don similar striping patterns, but not identical for purposes of keeping the teal and the black from touching and establishing a cleaner and clearer design.

5925f17a778a2_SharksSet.thumb.png.261ac8869003e12ced1a4238360c3f96.png

C&C is appreciated as always.

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Update (1/30: SJ completed)

I've decided I'm going to take it division by division in alphabetical order. So next up is the Anaheim Ducks.

Anaheim Ducks

With the talk of the Ducks moving to an orange primary jersey next season, I decided to draw inspiration from their Stadium Series uniforms. Like the Sharks jerseys before them, this set utilizes slightly different striping patterns in order to keep certain colors from contacting each other, in this case the gold and orange. The OC shoulder patch from the Stadium Series jerseys is promoted to a full-time secondary logo and finds its place on the shoulders in pants. 

59271605d8c72_DucksSet.thumb.png.9381a1ff05aaa141f2a27b998455cf08.png

Let me know what you think. Calgary is next...

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Update (2/31: ANA completed)
3 minutes ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

On the Orange. Sorry for the confusion 

No worries, just wanted to make sure I was understanding you correctly.

Here's what that would look like. Personally, I think I still favor the original. But that may just be me.

5927363d86b80_DucksSet-B.thumb.png.14c934d7c7c650e3a71a26c51952ce5c.png

Calgary Flames

As much as I would like the Flames to adopt their throwback alternate as their primary home and design a white counterpart, that design has already been done, so instead I have the Flames strengthening their ties to the color Black rather than moving away from it. This is one of those designs where its not quite what I'd like them to do, but its something they could do.

The striping draws from the Flames previous script alternate, however the stripe widths are cleaned up a bit relative to one another. The script logo is replaced with the flaming C and the secondary designed for that alternate graces the shoulders and (in another form) the pants. The white jersey draws its striping color layout from the current away and is designed to match the home. The rear of the jersey was a bit tricky in this design, as as was trying to stay away from a "C of Red" of sorts on the back of the jersey. As a result, the NOB and #OB contrast with yellow and red flipped on each.

59276ea08a3dc_FlamesSet.thumb.png.c2014bdda4400bc16f67a701b06453d4.png 

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Update (3/31: CGY completed)

Love the home for the Flames. Everything works well together and it's close enough/different enough to the pre-edge set to really make it work. 

Something's missing on the road for me though, and can't quite put my finger on it. Something in the striping 

41 minutes ago, B-mer said:

Something's missing on the road for me though, and can't quite put my finger on it. Something in the striping 

Totally agree. Part of the reason I put it up was to figure that one out. Here's a quick mock-up between periods of Game 7 of what it would like like with the yellow and blacked flipped in the striping, which better matches the color. I think it improves the look, but I'm not entirely sure its enough. If not, I might experiment with the white in the striping to break up the similar red, yellow, black mixture.

59277c36a0d24_FlamesSet-B.thumb.png.ca6411c1722e5d40abddab9f05dc2536.png

Another idea would be simply switching the colors in the collar to better match the original's striping, which also helps with the disconnect in my mind.

59277d7c1c380_FlamesSet-C.thumb.png.6e82806d832eccbec516a737807bb76d.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Update (3/31: CGY updated)
40 minutes ago, JB Designs said:

Totally agree. Part of the reason I put it up was to figure that one out. Here's a quick mock-up between periods of Game 7 of what it would like like with the yellow and blacked flipped in the striping, which better matches the color. I think it improves the look, but I'm not entirely sure its enough. If not, I might experiment with the white in the striping to break up the similar red, yellow, black mixture.

59277c36a0d24_FlamesSet-B.thumb.png.ca6411c1722e5d40abddab9f05dc2536.png

That works much better and also has a good tie to the pre-edge set, just with an additional red stripe. 

Smaller adjustment would be full black gloves. 

24 minutes ago, B-mer said:

That works much better and also has a good tie to the pre-edge set, just with an additional red stripe. 

Smaller adjustment would be full black gloves. 

I hadn't thought of that connection, but that's a good point. All black gloves does seem to mesh with the black pants better.

59278ba3715b6_FlamesSet-B.thumb.png.251bc685e9c66ecbf84b728f1341710f.png

The road needs some white in the striping... And the NOB and #OB need more black on the road... WAY to McDonald's-esque 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Sorry for the long gap in between concepts. I spent some time on another project redesigning the logo of a recording studio I work with.

Edmonton Oilers

For the Oilers, I followed the cues of their coming redesign (orange home and a shift from royal blue to navy), while taking them in a slightly different direction. Although appearing different, the home and away actually share an identical striping pattern altered only by the jersey color surrounding it. On the home, we get a look similar to their current orange uniform, with the stripes shrunken and doubled up. On the away, this results in a pattern similar to their current away, with an orange yoke added in order to promote that color on both sets. The shoulder numbers of their current alternate stay in order to maintain their unique identity and let the youth movement fully take hold.

593436540f1b7_OilersSet.thumb.png.ca24c8e6628b3795d641e2df84bb4926.png

Archived